Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 18th February 2019, 07:07   #23301  |  Link
Mevunky

I would look at avoiding multi-channel AAC content entirely? It is not a great way to do surround (hence why many receivers don't support it) this would go a long way to solving some of your problems.

Last edited by Mevunky; 18th February 2019 at 07:28.
Mevunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 16:50   #23302  |  Link
el Filou

Why is AAC "not a great way to do surround"? It's certainly higher quality/size than AC3, and fine if you don't use the features associated with Dolby metadata.
Old 18th February 2019, 23:57   #23303  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevunky View Post
I would look at avoiding multi-channel AAC content entirely? It is not a great way to do surround (hence why many receivers don't support it) this would go a long way to solving some of your problems.
It's not so much a matter of avoiding multi-channel AAC content as coping with it when it does arise. I acknowledge I do not see many examples of multi-channel AAC content, and it is some time since I last saw one.

I don't know why people use it to code media. It may be because source TV material is multi-channel AAC (probably unlikely because there are no AV receivers available to decode it) or because there is an attempt to maximise compression to keep file size to a minimum. In my neck of the woods we only have stereo TV channels and the tendency is to broadcast AC3 on HD channels, although there is some AAC on SD channels. In the past (some time ago) there was experimentation with multi-channel but IIRC it was AC3 audio.

While AC3 Filter and ffdshow still work in Windows 10 my HTPCs can transcode PCM decoded from all AAC formats by LAV filters, and given that bitstreaming with external LAV filters doesn't work for me in Windows 10, directing AC3Filter to be used for AC3 and DTS, and specifying those formats for bitstreaming in AC3 Filter, overcomes that obstacle.

I'd be more concerned that AC3 Filter and ffdshow might cease to work in future builds of Windows 10. I have no basis for that concern, but neither application has seen any development since 2012.

Last edited by raymondjpg; 18th February 2019 at 23:59.
raymondjpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 23:09   #23304  |  Link
arrgh

@raymondjpg
I use a lot AAC5.1 in mkv, because it gives indeed a lot quality/size... for me it is the "HEVC for Audio"...
unfortunately I can not find an AV receiver which can decode it (at least I found nothing confirmed; on top of it, some say that this can not work, since HDMI is not specified to work with AAC);
since my old receiver requires DTS or DD (PCM maxed at 2 CH), I'm in a catch...

luckily MPC-BE's internal Audiorenderer is able to transcode AAC5.1 to AC3 on the fly; even on my small machine I have no (detectable) delay (very likely at the price of some additional quality loss)...
in any case, I hope MPC-BE will not drop this feature !
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 23:23   #23305  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
luckily MPC-BE's internal Audiorenderer is able to transcode AAC5.1 to AC3 on the fly; even on my small machine I have no (detectable) delay (very likely at the price of some additional quality loss)...
in any case, I hope MPC-BE will not drop this feature !
I did not know that. I'll take another look at MPC-BE, but I've not been able so far to find a colour balance output from MPC-BE that I like the look of.
Old 19th February 2019, 23:44   #23306  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
luckily MPC-BE's internal Audiorenderer is able to transcode AAC5.1 to AC3 on the fly
Not Audio Renderer - Audio Decoder
Old 20th February 2019, 00:08   #23307  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
Not Audio Renderer - Audio Decoder
sorry, it's late...

@raymondjpg
at the moment my setup in MPC-BE is :
- external LAV-Splitter
- external LAV-Video-Decoder
- internal MPC-BE Audio-Decoder
- external subtitle renderer (I hope this time it's correct) XySubFilter
- external video renderer madVR
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 22:56   #23308  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
@raymondjpg
at the moment my setup in MPC-BE is :
- external LAV-Splitter
- external LAV-Video-Decoder
- internal MPC-BE Audio-Decoder
- external subtitle renderer (I hope this time it's correct) XySubFilter
- external video renderer madVR
That combination is working well for me, except I am quite happy to use the internal sbtitle renderer.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 21st February 2019, 18:08   #23309  |  Link
el Filou

feature request only mix if less than 5 channels ?

@nevcairiel Would it be possible to add an option to the Mixing feature like 'only mix if less than 5 channels' ?

Explanation: I don't bitstream, and sometimes I encounter sources that need to be modified to output them in LPCM over my HDMI which only accepts 2.0, 5.1, and 7.1 (no idea if it's a limitation of the AVR, the HDMI standard, Windows, or NVIDIA ). Now, LAV has specific options to handle 1.0 > 2.0 and 6.1 > 7.1 and also an option to convert the rest to 5.1 by adding silent channels, but for cases like these:
- 4.0 L C R BC
- 4.0 L R SL SR
- 3.0 (or 3.1) L C R (LFE) (just encountered such a track on the Shin Godzilla Blu-ray which prompted me to ask)

-- so basically anything that is more than 2.0 but less than 5.0/5.1 -- I prefer to downmix them to 2.0 and then use PLII(x) in my receiver to upmix back rather than add silent channels because that doesn't sound as immersive.
An option 'only mix if less than 5 channels' would be great: LAV could then be configured to mix all those cases to 2.0 but not touch 5.1/6.1/7.1.

Thanks a lot if this sounds reasonable to you.

PS: maybe someone is going to answer that I could just enable mixing to 5.1/7.1 and check 'don't mix stereo sources', but I tried it and it doesn't apply PLII(x) decoding when doing that which I would like.
Old 21st February 2019, 20:34   #23310  |  Link
ryrynz

That sounds like a really great feature. Nice one.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 20:57   #23311  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I'm not sure I agree its that great. There is so many corner cases where I don't see how some algorithm to create surround can be better then keeping the surround sound.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
- 4.0 L C R BC
All this is missing is a LFE, otherwise it could nicely fill a 5.1 if you map the back-center to the surround channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
- 4.0 L R SL SR
This already has dedicated surround channel, but no center. A center is IMHO not that crucial if your speakers are setup for a proper stereo image.

Honestly outside of special cases like 2.1 or 3.0 which barely have any channel beyond stereo, I'm not sure I see it.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:37   #23312  |  Link
Sunspark

In my case, I have a challenge with downmixing. My system is a 2.1 which I've had a long time. It's a good one, and I can only hear in 1 ear anyway so I haven't felt the need for anything with more channels.

Windows is set to stereo, and it comes out of the 3.5mm jack to the subwoofer, which then feeds the satellites. The sub has its own % dial, and the satellites are the volume control. I leave windows set at 67% volume because the output is not digital, though the player itself internally is set for 100%.

The problem is, even with MPC-HC set to exclusive mode and LAV downmixing to stereo, source material using 6 channel E-AC3, specifically L R C LFE Ls Rs which gets downmixed to 2.0, I am finding that a lot of dialogue, etc is too quiet or it feels like it has flat spots in the audio. I attempt to compensate for it by turning normalize on in the MPC-HC audio switcher options to 400% which helps make speech louder.

I just wonder if there's something I should try differently or if this is something LAV could do differently. I know MPC-HC in the audio switcher has an option which I've never tried, "enable custom channel mapping" for a # of input channels and you can place checks for a dizzying variety of positions but the MPC-HC programmer wrote years ago that this function should not be used for downmixing, and to do the downmixing in the decoder..

I find that source material which originates as stereo has louder and clearer speech than the 6-channel downmix to 2.0 equivalent in LAV.

Not expecting anything, just wondering if anything can potentially be downmixed differently whether via a different filter or some other method. Thanks!
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:22   #23313  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If you're using LAV to downmix to stereo, you can try increasing the center mix level, thats what usually contains the dialogue.
I would recommend 1.0 at first, and see how it sounds, and maybe a bit higher from there.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 22nd February 2019 at 08:57.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:46   #23314  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
If you're using LAV to downmix to stereo, you can try increasing the center mix level, thats what usually contains the dialogue.
I would recommend 1.0 at first, and see how it sounds, and maybe a bit higher from there.
What about LFE when downmixing to stereo, it is set to 0, should we increase it?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:48   #23315  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its personal preference, and depending on the frequency response of your stereo speakers.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:04   #23316  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its personal preference, and depending on the frequency response of your stereo speakers.
I see, thank you.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:30   #23317  |  Link
el Filou

Ah yes, I understand that it would only be useful for a limited number of quite rare sources. No worries, I can still enable mixing manually of course.
Just one question about your advice:
Quote:
- 4.0 L C R BC
All this is missing is a LFE, otherwise it could nicely fill a 5.1 if you map the back-center to the surround channel.
Would it be such a good idea in practice to do that? I feel like it would create a weird surround effect (my system is actually 6.1 btw). Or am I missing some information here and a 4.0 layout like this was actually meant to be reproduced on 2 or 3 surround speakers and not just a single back center? IIRC this was the popular surround layout before digital discrete 5.1 (I only ever see such tracks on DVDs of 80s movies whose original audio wasn't remastered), and I have no idea how they were doing things.

I need to make some multichannel wav files manually and compare PLII downmix with silent channels when I have the time one day.
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:08   #23318  |  Link
clsid

GCC 8.3 has been released.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:55   #23319  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Not yet available in MSYS2, I believe...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 13:43   #23320  |  Link
clsid

Nev makes his own mingw64 GCC builds. Several devs here use those.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter