Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Closed Thread

Old 23rd March 2015, 11:41   #1981  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
I only had to read this, slowly, a half dozen times to have an understanding ;-) . Seriously, thanks for the explanation, I really appreciate it.
Once you get your head around how telecine (3-2 pulldown) works it's not too hard.

Interlaced video consists of 29.970 frames per second but each frame consists of two fields, so you could think of it as 54.940 fields per second. One field is the even scanlines, the other is the odd scanlines. The object of de-interlacing is to merge the two fields into a single progressive frame, but because each field is a different moment in time they can't just be combined as such.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

Telecine (3-2 pulldown) uses the interlaced nature of video to convert 23.976fps into 29.970fps by repeating fields but the film isn't interlaced as such and inverse telecine can be used to recover the original progressive frames.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

The problem is, NTSC can be a combination of "film" and "video", hence MeGUI's analysis sometimes seeing it as some sort of "hybrid" and you can't always assume MeGUI gets it right, so if in doubt it's best to post a sample.
Old 24th March 2015, 15:02   #1982  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
You could maybe think of an analogy of "unstable" as video that wasn't de-interlaced well, or a video encoded with Xvid with a low bitrate, resulting in what I call "encoder wobble" in static areas, that sort of thing. QTGMC is pretty good at cleaning up that sort of "unstable" picture. I'm probably ignorant of the proper technical terms but that's the sort of thing I'm referring to.

If you're interested, there's some samples attached to this post from when I first started playing around with using QTGMC for noise removal. It was my 'torture test" noise removal but it's a good example of what I mean by QTGMC "stabilising" the picture. The other scripts I compared it to were FastDegrain and TemporalDegrain (I don't think I'd found SMDegrain at that stage) as well as some "standalone" Avisynth plugins. It's not a scientific comparison by any means as it was all with the default settings for each noise removal method, except for adjusting the amount of noise removal in QTGMC.
Whether you think it denoised best or not, QTGMC fixed more of the picture "bobbing". It also cleaned up more of the "blemishes" in single frames.

There's also some other samples in the first post which include the original video, and Selur used that to add some additional denoised samples here.

It was all from a while ago when I first started getting a bit more serious about noise filtering and discovered QTGMC can denoise pretty well.
There's definitely no "one size fits all" noise filtering and I still experiment with other noise removal methods a bit, but most of the time I end up using QTGMC.
Thanks for the explanation, hello_hello, and I actually bumped into that thread, again, yesterday while searching for an answer to a question I can't put my finger on at this moment (at least I'm aging better in the looks department than Matthew Modine, ha ha). The first time I encountered it was when I began my quest for a denoiser I could use to attack my video collection (eventually settling on SMDegrain). I really like the results of QTGMC with (InputType=1,Preset="Medium",EZDenoise=2), but I typed too soon regarding the speed improvement on my setup. It seems that SD sources are no problem but HD sources cause nasty issues with my MT AviSynth. That's a real shame because I stumbled into an MT script for SMDegrain at the outset, probably dumb luck, that chugs along at pretty much 100% CPU Usage. I guess QTGMC is more demanding (involved?) than SMDegrain. Perhaps I'll have to master the hello_hello Trim & Stitch Method©, although given my wont of using SelectRangeEvery(1000,66) to (rather reasonablly) guesstimate a video bit rate I'll have to modify my approach. It's something to consider as I work my way chronologically backwards through my collection, since the quality of the sources is slowly getting worse. Can't wait for Kurosawa and Hitchcock ;-) . Now to poke away at an acceptable script for early season Simpsons...
Old 25th March 2015, 11:35   #1983  |  Link
hello_hello

What sort of issues with MT Avisynth?

Maybe you could try replacing the relevant plugins with the versions listed here if you're not using them already.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...50#post1699950
And while I don't use MT Avisynth myself, this version of MaskTools2 is the fastest of all the versions I've tried and it doesn't slow to a crawl if the source isn't mod16. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MaskTools2

Quote:
.....although given my wont of using SelectRangeEvery(1000,66) to (rather reasonablly) guesstimate a video bit rate I'll have to modify my approach.
Do you aim for a particular file size? I prefer CRF encoding myself, even though the file sizes vary all over the place.

I've been working on a video that's being more difficult than usual. The video quality is pretty high, but there's very fine grain in places. It's "moving" so fast it's virtually unnoticeable when watching the video at normal speed, but it's making it hard to re-encode at a reasonable bitrate. Unless I use a high bitrate the encoder turns the grain into "moving blocks" (for want of a better description) where the image is mostly a solid colour (a wall in the background etc) and that makes it noticeable. So far QTGMC's EzDenoise is resulting in some horrible banding so I've been experimenting with SMDegrain and at the moment SMDegrain followed by LSFMod (both default settings) seems to be working the best. It's doing a good job removing the noise and with LFSMod it looks a tad sharper than the original (I don't like sharpening as a rule).

While I was playing around with this one I had a close look at what QTGMC was doing in places, and on occasion I found artefacts similar to those in the cartoon screenshots I posted earlier. Unlike the cartoon screenshots though, it'd be very unlikely you'd see them without pausing on individual frames and comparing them to the source (which I was doing) as they weren't as prominent and only seemed to occur where there was fast motion and a lot of contrast. I did discover though, the artefacts seemed to be reduced by using the medium speed preset rather than the default settings, so I'll have to experiment a bit more there.

Mind you SMDGrain isn't perfect either. I found a few places where it had some adverse effects where there was motion, although once again nothing you'd see while the frames running at normal speed.
Old 26th March 2015, 02:21   #1984  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
What sort of issues with MT Avisynth?

Maybe you could try replacing the relevant plugins with the versions listed here if you're not using them already.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...50#post1699950
And while I don't use MT Avisynth myself, this version of MaskTools2 is the fastest of all the versions I've tried and it doesn't slow to a crawl if the source isn't mod16. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MaskTools2
Offhand it seems to be a memory issue, but I've not tested QTGMC with my AviSynth MT enough to have a definitive answer. It's on my list ;-) . I've opened your links and will peruse them ASAP, though, thanks.

Quote:
Do you aim for a particular file size? I prefer CRF encoding myself, even though the file sizes vary all over the place.
I was a quick convert from 2-Pass to CRF as soon as I educated myself, but me being me I like my files to be of a certain general bit rate (I know, I know) so the sizes are somewhat predictable. After much searching (and my best buddy Dumb Luck) I discovered "SelectRangeEvery" and, after a bit of trial and error, I've found that the bit rate for a "SelectRangeEvery(1000,66)" output is within 10% of the bit rate I'd get processing the entire source with the same CRF. With the tweaking of experience I'm able to consistently achieve bit rates within 5%, so I'm happy. Depending on the source material's resolution, cleanliness, and running time my SelectRangeEvery script takes anywhere from a few minutes to an hour plus; I run these while away from my computer for a stretch, then I'm able to quite closely estimate the time involved (and resultant bit rate) for a full encode and can plan accordingly (I do most all my full encodes overnight).

Quote:
I've been working on a video that's being more difficult than usual. The video quality is pretty high, but there's very fine grain in places. It's "moving" so fast it's virtually unnoticeable when watching the video at normal speed, but it's making it hard to re-encode at a reasonable bitrate. Unless I use a high bitrate the encoder turns the grain into "moving blocks" (for want of a better description) where the image is mostly a solid colour (a wall in the background etc) and that makes it noticeable. So far QTGMC's EzDenoise is resulting in some horrible banding so I've been experimenting with SMDegrain and at the moment SMDegrain followed by LSFMod (both default settings) seems to be working the best. It's doing a good job removing the noise and with LFSMod it looks a tad sharper than the original (I don't like sharpening as a rule).

While I was playing around with this one I had a close look at what QTGMC was doing in places, and on occasion I found artefacts similar to those in the cartoon screenshots I posted earlier. Unlike the cartoon screenshots though, it'd be very unlikely you'd see them without pausing on individual frames and comparing them to the source (which I was doing) as they weren't as prominent and only seemed to occur where there was fast motion and a lot of contrast. I did discover though, the artefacts seemed to be reduced by using the medium speed preset rather than the default settings, so I'll have to experiment a bit more there.

Mind you SMDGrain isn't perfect either. I found a few places where it had some adverse effects where there was motion, although once again nothing you'd see while the frames running at normal speed.
Don't get me started on background noise, ha ha. Once I had the misfortune of noticing "...'moving blocks' (for want of a better description) where the image is mostly a solid colour (a wall in the background etc)" I was screwed. Now I can't not notice this noise and spend entirely too much time grinding my teeth while fiddling about with AviSynth . Are you utilizing SMDegrain's "Lsb" feature? From the .html:

Quote:
lsb
[bool: true, "false"]

This enables 32 bit depth precision for denoising.
Avoids banding thanks to a dither algorithm friendly for optimum encodings (When no further non-edge processing is done)
For this to be used you will need the Dither package with its version of MVTools2.
As I've typed before, my goto SMDegrain script is "SMDegrain(Lsb=True,Chroma=True,Plane=0)". From what I've read and the kind help I've received from dogway (the script's author) the "Chroma=True" acts as a sort of poor man's motion vector improver and "Plane=0" skips processing the chroma planes, which it seems are more prone to smearing in the temporal domain, and saves a bit of time. On my 14" 1600x900 laptop screen the results look great; I figure that by the time I've a large TV I'll also have a SuperComputer and, if necessary, can reencode my sources with a "better" script, adding "ContraSharp=True", "RefineMotion=True", etc. My main goal with all of this is to never, ever check out anything on a frame-by-frame basis or all is lost .

Now to check out LFSMod and compare it to QTGMC's built-in sharpener, Toon, and FastLineDarkener with regards to early seasons Simpsons...

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 26th March 2015 at 02:24. Reason: It's "background", not "back round"
Old 26th March 2015, 11:21   #1985  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Don't get me started on background noise, ha ha. Once I had the misfortune of noticing "...'moving blocks' (for want of a better description) where the image is mostly a solid colour (a wall in the background etc)" I was screwed. Now I can't not notice this noise and spend entirely too much time grinding my teeth while fiddling about with AviSynth
That's one of the reasons I often use QTGMC in progressive mode for very fine noise (without it's EzDenoise function) as it usually stabilises the noise and it'll encode without "moving blocks" but for some reason the video in question is being a little more difficult than usual and even EzDenoise=1 is resulting in some horrible banding. SMDegrain is working better this time.

Quote:
Are you utilizing SMDegrain's "Lsb" feature?
Not this time because it's the first filter in the chain followed by cropping, resizing, a conversion to RGB and back to YV12 (so I could use RGBAdjust), and LSFMod, so there didn't seem to be much point given there's lots of 8 bit filtering following it. Adding GradFun3() to the end of the script seems to be fixing any banding problems.

Quote:
As I've typed before, my goto SMDegrain script is "SMDegrain(Lsb=True,Chroma=True,Plane=0)". From what I've read and the kind help I've received from dogway (the script's author) the "Chroma=True" acts as a sort of poor man's motion vector improver and "Plane=0" skips processing the chroma planes, which it seems are more prone to smearing in the temporal domain, and saves a bit of time. On my 14" 1600x900 laptop screen the results look great; I figure that by the time I've a large TV I'll also have a SuperComputer and, if necessary, can reencode my sources with a "better" script, adding "ContraSharp=True", "RefineMotion=True", etc. My main goal with all of this is to never, ever check out anything on a frame-by-frame basis or all is lost.
Sometimes I long for the days of CRT TVs when this sort of thing wasn't much of a problem because you couldn't see it.
These days my PC is connected to a 51" Plasma next to my desk so frame by frame comparisons do require a certain level of sedation.
There's an identical TV in the living room and sometimes I walk in while someone's watching one of my encodes and I wonder why I was fussing about it so much. Adding an extra five feet to the viewing distance does more for video quality than most Avisynth filters I've used.

Now you've got me motivated, I'll have to play around with SMDegrain's settings a bit more, once this lot of encoding is done.

Quote:
Now to check out LFSMod and compare it to QTGMC's built-in sharpener, Toon, and FastLineDarkener with regards to early seasons Simpsons...
I find QTGMC in progressive mode tends to sharpen a little even with a bit of denoising enabled (ie EzDenoise=1), but it looks natural to me, as opposed to "sharpened" which I don't like as a general rule. If the video is nice and clean though (I hate sharpened noise) I sometimes use LSFMod. If you haven't tried it yet SeeSaw might also be worth a look.

All this talk of SMDegrain made me look at the script I'm using and I just discovered it's an old version. I don't know how that happened. Last time I cleaned out the Avisynth plugins folder and started again I must have accidentally copied the wrong version. Or maybe I didn't know there was a newer version at the time. Damn!!!!.......
It's working well for the video I'm encoding at the moment but naturally I'm going to have to stop encoding when the current job finishes and run a comparison encode using the newer script to make sure the result won't be noticeably better.
$@%$&!!!

Edit: So I found this Dogway mod of the SMDegrain script and it appears LSFMod is built-in (the LSFMod script is still required, but SMDegrain can use it for sharpening). I've no idea if sharpening that way will produce a more exciting result than LSFMod as a separate filter. Something else to experiment with, I guess......
The old version of SMDegrain I was using appears not to have any built-in sharpening, hence my following it with LSFMod, but maybe for the Dogway mod version that won't be necessary.

Which version are you using? The latest Dogway mod seems to be v2.21 but I'm having trouble finding a working download link (never mind, I found it).

Quote:
I think that SMDegrain is brilliant, finding that SMDegrain(Lsb=True,Chroma=True,Plane=0)" works wonders and raising the thSAD from the default (400) to 600 or 800 for extremely grainy (usually older movies shot on film) sources.
As a side note, I remembered you mentioned raising the thSAD value when I realised the default for the old SMDegrain script I was using is thSAD=400. The newer versions of the script have thSAD=200 as the default.
Oh well, I'm off to run some comparison encodes using the newer scripts to see if exciting things will happen.......

Last edited by hello_hello; 26th March 2015 at 12:12.
Old 26th March 2015, 14:21   #1986  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Sometimes I long for the days of CRT TVs when this sort of thing wasn't much of a problem because you couldn't see it.
These days my PC is connected to a 51" Plasma next to my desk so frame by frame comparisons do require a certain level of sedation.
There's an identical TV in the living room and sometimes I walk in while someone's watching one of my encodes and I wonder why I was fussing about it so much. Adding an extra five feet to the viewing distance does more for video quality than most Avisynth filters I've used.
I have to admit that I occasionally worry my currently year-plus Seemingly Neverending ReEncoding Project will be for naught the day I own an actual TV (instead of a laptop at the foot of my bed). That bridge then or some such, I reckon .

Quote:
I find QTGMC in progressive mode tends to sharpen a little even with a bit of denoising enabled (ie EzDenoise=1), but it looks natural to me, as opposed to "sharpened" which I don't like as a general rule. If the video is nice and clean though (I hate sharpened noise) I sometimes use LSFMod. If you haven't tried it yet SeeSaw might also be worth a look.
It's my understanding that the default sharpening in QTGMC is 1.0 but changes to 0.2 when "SourceMatch" is invoked. As I've tested various sharpeners with the early season Simpsons my default script has become (thanks ):

Code:
Source, Load Plugin, Etc.
TFM(Order=-1).TDecimate(Mode=1)
#deinterlace
#crop
#resize
#denoise
QTGMC(FPSDivisor=2,Lsb=True,Preset="Medium",ChromaMotion=True,EZDenoise=2,Sharpness=0)
Pick-A-Sharpener,Any-Sharpener()
I think the "Lsb=True" is wishful thinking, I've borrowed the "ChromaMotion=True" from "Preset='Slower'" as it seemingly adds no extra time, and when I settle on a sharpener I'll make new tests adjusting the EZDenoise level. I found that adding other sharpeners to the default sharpening in QTGMC made things exponentially sharp, thus the "Sharpness=0" when testing with other sharpeners.

Quote:
All this talk of SMDegrain made me look at the script I'm using and I just discovered it's an old version. I don't know how that happened. Last time I cleaned out the Avisynth plugins folder and started again I must have accidentally copied the wrong version. Or maybe I didn't know there was a newer version at the time. Damn!!!!.......
It's working well for the video I'm encoding at the moment but naturally I'm going to have to stop encoding when the current job finishes and run a comparison encode using the newer script to make sure the result won't be noticeably better.
$@%$&!!!

Edit: So I found this Dogway mod of the SMDegrain script and it appears LSFMod is built-in (the LSFMod script is still required, but SMDegrain can use it for sharpening). I've no idea if sharpening that way will produce a more exciting result than LSFMod as a separate filter. Something else to experiment with, I guess......
The old version of SMDegrain I was using appears not to have any built-in sharpening, hence my following it with LSFMod, but maybe for the Dogway mod version that won't be necessary.

Which version are you using? The latest Dogway mod seems to be v2.21 but I'm having trouble finding a working download link (never mind, I found it).
I find much of the battle with AviSynth is keeping track of the plugins: which play nice together, which don't, which function with AviSynth MT, which don't, god my head hurts . I'm using SMDegrain2.2d because it's the first version I found. Check these out:

SMDegrain'sNewHome

and

MoreAwesomeDogwayTools

Dogway has never been anything but friendly (and ridiculously patient) with me so I'm sure he'd be willing to answer any questions you have.

Quote:
As a side note, I remembered you mentioned raising the thSAD value when I realised the default for the old SMDegrain script I was using is thSAD=400. The newer versions of the script have thSAD=200 as the default.
Oh well, I'm off to run some comparison encodes using the newer scripts to see if exciting things will happen.......
As far as I know the SMDegrain default for thSAD is still 400 (if it's not a year-plus of my life isn't quite as I've thought ). From the SMDegrain2.2d .avsi:

Quote:
# Defaults & Conditionals

tr = default( tr, 3 )
thSAD = default( thSAD, 400 )
thSAD2=int(thSAD/2)
Now I really need to focus on the early season Simpsons...

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 26th March 2015 at 14:27.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:09   #1987  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
I think the "Lsb=True" is wishful thinking.....
I'm not sure I've tried Lsb=True when using QTGMC, but if you follow it with an 8 bit filter (which often I would) I doubt there'd be much point anyway.

Quote:
I'm using SMDegrain2.2d because it's the first version I found.
Do you know what the difference is between versions 2.2d and 2.21d?

Quote:
As far as I know the SMDegrain default for thSAD is still 400 (if it's not a year-plus of my life isn't quite as I've thought
It appears the default for the original version 0.2 was thSAD=400, for 0.3 & 0.4 it was thSAD=200 (all original author), and for the Dogway mods I've looked at (1.8d, 2.2d and 2.21d) they're all thSAD=400.

For some reason the original 0.2 version is about 30% faster than any of the others (default settings, single threaded Avisynth). I haven't had a look at the scripts to try to work out why yet.

Last edited by hello_hello; 26th March 2015 at 17:13.
Old 27th March 2015, 01:24   #1988  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Do you know what the difference is between versions 2.2d and 2.21d?
That's a really good question. Although I've both versions, I've been using 2.2d because, well, because in my mind it was newer than 2.21d. Seems I can't count very well, as "21" is certainly larger than "2". A quick gander with NotePad shows they're both dated 5 March 2013 but 2.21d has an extra chroma setting, Chr2, that's (as far as I can figure, which isn't very) used for prefiltering. But you'd have to ask Dogway as I'm unqualified to answer. Actually, I think I'll ask Dogway myself as I'd be quite depressed to learn that many months worth of encodes could've been a wee bit better.
Old 28th March 2015, 05:28   #1989  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Dogway answered your question then updated SMDegrain: FromTheTipsOfDog
Old 30th March 2015, 04:27   #1990  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Dogway answered your question then updated SMDegrain: FromTheTipsOfDog
Thanks for that.

Back to QTGMC for noise removal......

I had a bit more of a play with a particularly noisy video (movie from the 70s) and it does seem QTGMC's medium preset is less likely to produce artefacts in progressive mode (where there's motion) than the default slow preset. Not that the slow preset is bad. I have to deliberately pause frames and look for problems.
In order to compensate for using a faster speed preset I increased the de-noising a little, and of course then I decided I wanted to compensate for the blurring.....

I was quite happy with the end result, but the script is very slow, especially for HD. I didn't use anything other than default settings and adjusting QTGMC's denoising.

QTGMC(InputType=1, Preset="Medium", EzDenoise=2)
LSFMod()
gradfun3()

It's hard to demonstrate denoising with still pictures, and the noise is more noticeable than the first screenshot might indicate (although I used a shot that included a blue sky so it's easy to see the pattern of noise), but the noise is greatly reduced and the encoded version is sharper than the original. It's probably on the verge of looking "sharpened" to me so I might dial LSFMod back a tad next time.

Before (resized to 720p, no filtering):

After (QTGMC & LSFMod & Gradfun3):

Now I know SMDegrain can use LFSMod for sharpening I'll experiment with it at some stage soon to see if I can achieve a similar result.

(Maybe if we're going to continue to discuss noise removal, even using QTGMC, we should start a new thread. If I do later on after playing with the new SMDegrain I'll add a link here)
Old 31st March 2015, 02:23   #1991  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

No problem, glad I could actually help for a change .

And A Blue Sky Never Lies, ha ha, especially the older the source. As I mentioned earlier, solid backgrounds catch my eye now, particularly when they're "alive" (almost as if they're breathing) with noise. As I work chronologically backwards through my collection I'm discovering that denoising is getting quite a bit more... "involved" is a reasonable word. Damn film stock! Your second shot looks waaay better to my eyes, but I can see what you mean about it bordering on oversharpened. I've found denoising to be a bit like listening to music; my preference is to use "neutral" earphones or speakers so I hear the music as it was made. It's the same for video viewing: oversharpening a Brian "King Of Soft Focus" DePalma classic would be anathema to me but, geez, the excess grain is so distracting it's difficult to enjoy the movie. Anyway, you're right about a new link (thanks for your patience, QTGMC Thread), keep me posted (couldn't resist).
Old 31st March 2015, 16:33   #1992  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
It's my understanding that the default sharpening in QTGMC is 1.0 but changes to 0.2 when "SourceMatch" is invoked. As I've tested various sharpeners with the early season Simpsons my default script has become (thanks ):
I always override the sharpness and turn it down to 0.2. I don't care for the sharpening at the default of 1.0.
Old 4th April 2015, 14:55   #1993  |  Link
jriker1

I have a DVD that I am converting to a MP4 file after doing some cleanup. I first used VOB2MPG to create a MPEG2 file of the main movie. Plays fine. It is then my intent to deinterlace the movie, and then adjust the size as it's 16:9 and want it 1:1. And then use NeatVideo to clean it up a lot. OK so that's what I'm trying to do but after hitting the first step things are going wrong.

Create an AVISynth script basically with:

Code:
ffmpegsource2("vob2mpg.mpg", vtrack = -1)
trim(0,3500)
## AssumeTFF() 
QTGMC(Preset="Slower", SourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, MatchEnhance=0.75, TR2=1, Sharpness=0.1)
Tried with and without AssumeTFF and also with and without trimming and doing the full movie. What I end up with is this (note small segment but due to double fps file is larger look in about a minute for more "moving" stuff) jerky output: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y44cxfqbwr...rlace.avi?dl=0

Note I also used the above avisynth script with QTGMC commented out. Video played fine.

Some info on the original:
- 5322kbps video
- 720x480 (16:9)
- 29.97fps
- Interlaced
- TFF

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

Last edited by jriker1; 4th April 2015 at 15:09.
Old 4th April 2015, 16:04   #1994  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
I have a DVD that I am converting to a MP4 file after doing some cleanup. I first used VOB2MPG to create a MPEG2 file of the main movie. Plays fine. It is then my intent to deinterlace the movie, and then adjust the size as it's 16:9 and want it 1:1. And then use NeatVideo to clean it up a lot. OK so that's what I'm trying to do but after hitting the first step things are going wrong.

Create an AVISynth script basically with:

Code:
ffmpegsource2("vob2mpg.mpg", vtrack = -1)
trim(0,3500)
## AssumeTFF() 
QTGMC(Preset="Slower", SourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, MatchEnhance=0.75, TR2=1, Sharpness=0.1)
Tried with and without AssumeTFF and also with and without trimming and doing the full movie. What I end up with is this (note small segment but due to double fps file is larger look in about a minute for more "moving" stuff) jerky output: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y44cxfqbwr...rlace.avi?dl=0

Note I also used the above avisynth script with QTGMC commented out. Video played fine.

Some info on the original:
- 5322kbps video
- 720x480 (16:9)
- 29.97fps
- Interlaced
- TFF

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

JR
I'm not going to download the >1GB file . If you want to post a sample, cut it from the original DVD , MPEG2.

"main movie" ? If it's a theatrical movie, you can be 99.9% certain the content is NOT interlaced . From a NTSC you should be IVTCing, not deinterlacing. Likely that's why it's "jerky"
Old 4th April 2015, 16:24   #1995  |  Link
jriker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
I'm not going to download the >1GB file . If you want to post a sample, cut it from the original DVD , MPEG2.

"main movie" ? If it's a theatrical movie, you can be 99.9% certain the content is NOT interlaced . From a NTSC you should be IVTCing, not deinterlacing. Likely that's why it's "jerky"
Stay tuned, uploading to DropBox new versions. Hopefully 300MB on the converted one with issue and 97 megs on the original are OK. Can't do to much with the converted one due to being Lagarith and 59.97fps. Just takes a lot of space for a small piece as clip is only a couple minutes long. I'll provide links to both when done uploading. Using a public hotspot so not the fastest.

JR

EDIT: OK here are the files:

Piece of the original DVD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7reer6mqh...98%29.mpg?dl=0
Smaller piece of the converted video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywv8xtu2gz...47%29.avi?dl=0

Last edited by jriker1; 4th April 2015 at 16:37.
Old 4th April 2015, 18:25   #1996  |  Link
creaothceann

Opening that .mpg file with DSS2 failed. VirtualDub tells me it can't save to .avi. MKVmerge reports "found at least one B frame without second reference in a non closed GOP". Converting with mencoder (which throws up some warnings and doesn't convert the audio) to .avi and frame-stepping in AvsPmod shows the typical 3:2 pattern of progressive:interleaved frames. Solution: don't convert to .mpg and deinterlace via some IVTC script/plugin instead of QTGMC.

Last edited by creaothceann; 4th April 2015 at 23:47.
Old 4th April 2015, 20:50   #1997  |  Link
manono

Quote:
No, you ran it through VOB2MPG. When offering samples don't do anything to the VOBs - don't make an MPG or repackage it in the MKV container. Cut out an M2V for upload using DGIndex. When working on DVD VOB files, make a D2V project file using DGIndex and open them via MPEG2Source and the DGDecode dll. It's all explained in the documents included in the DGMPGDec package.

As creaothceann said, it IVTC's perfectly using something like this:

TFM()
TDecimate()

Unless you're using QTGMC for its cleaning properties, there's no reason to use it at all, and certainly not to make a 59.94fps video out of it when the true framerate is 23.976fps.

Last edited by manono; 4th April 2015 at 20:53.
Old 4th April 2015, 21:30   #1998  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
As creaothceann said, it IVTC's perfectly using something like this:

TFM()
TDecimate()
You took the words right out of my mouth (Meat Loaf).
@manono: I really appreciate all your patience for all the years on this topic!
Old 5th April 2015, 00:43   #1999  |  Link
jriker1

Thank you folks and sorry for sending I guess incorrectly. For reference, how do I provide a VOB of just the main movie? Is there a tool to separate that out? Thought the MPG file was basically the VOB file which I thought was basically an MPEG2 container, and puts it into just a MPG labeled MPEG2 container with just the pieces of the main movie without any conversions. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anway, I have used in the past the following:

Code:
  tfm(mode=5,pp=0,slow=1)
  tdecimate(cycle=5)
Because someone else posted it. Is this better to use instead of the same but with no params?

Thanks.

JR

EDIT: Note when I leave pp=0 in everything still looks interlaced. have to take that command out to default to it's original setting of 6 to see a change with the above.

EDIT EDIT: I tried the above and resulting file had the same jerky output. I can try it without those params but guessing that isn't going to help.

Also when I ran this thru DGIndex to try a different way of loading the file I got at the end "A field order transition was detected" and asked if I want it corrected. Also DG says file is 29.97 interlaced.

Also trying now with MPEG2Source("VTS_01_1.d2v") directly to the VOB files and think it may be working better. Still interested in the field order message as I got this also when directly loading the VOB files in DGindex.

Last edited by jriker1; 5th April 2015 at 01:33.
Old 5th April 2015, 01:24   #2000  |  Link
creaothceann

Quote:
how do I provide a VOB of just the main movie? Is there a tool to separate that out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
- Cut out an M2V for upload using DGIndex.
- When working on DVD VOB files, make a D2V project file using DGIndex and open them via MPEG2Source and the DGDecode dll. It's all explained in the documents included in the DGMPGDec package.
Closed Thread