Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th August 2016, 23:20   #39061  |  Link
Aegwyn11

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there is no way of sending HDR meta data to a display at this time.
Any idea as to why? Or when this might be added?
Aegwyn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 00:04   #39062  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegwyn11 View Post
Any idea as to why? Or when this might be added?
When AMD/Nvidia releases such an option it'll be possible, so far there's no HDR monitors out, just TV. Videogames have had HDR since early 2000s. If I had to guess it'll delay to 2017, UHD Blu-Ray hasn't been cracked either, so watching HDR movies via HTPC isn't possible either way.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 00:43   #39063  |  Link
Aegwyn11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
When AMD/Nvidia releases such an option it'll be possible, so far there's no HDR monitors out, just TV. Videogames have had HDR since early 2000s. If I had to guess it'll delay to 2017, UHD Blu-Ray hasn't been cracked either, so watching HDR movies via HTPC isn't possible either way.
I'm trying to play legal HDR content that I have rights to...hence no need to wait for UHD BR cracking. I'm feeding to HDR TV's, so no problems there. I'm also using a GTX 1070, which has (at least HW) support for HDR. In looking at the Nvidia blog posts about HDR, it seems the support is there.

Another question in addition to the 'when'...what is madVR doing when you enable HDR processing? Is it just grading the source back to SDR using lookup tables?
Old 9th August 2016, 00:58   #39064  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

I've got a wacky issue where, right when I open a video in MPC-HC, madVR sometimes causes the video to start paused.

I believe it to be madVR at fault because it occurs in both MPC-HC 1.7.9 and MPC-HC.1.7.10.252 SVN but it does not occur if I use Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter) in MPC-HC. Changing various settings in madVR seem to have no effect regarding the issue, and disabling "remember file position" in MPC-HC also has no effect.

For reference, the only other external filter I have enabled is Reclock. I am also using MPC-HC 32bit on Windows 7 64bit SP1 as well as 32bit madVR v0.90.23. Previously I was using madVR v0.88.[something] and the issue still occured even then (which is why I updated to 0.90.23, but that didn't help).
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 07:23   #39065  |  Link
Sunset1982

Since I updated Windows Anniversary Update I get dropped frames and glitches, even while my render times are good (25ms)...

Anyone got the same issue?

I'm using madvr 0.90.23, newest nvidia driver.
Old 9th August 2016, 08:23   #39066  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Since I updated Windows Anniversary Update I get dropped frames and glitches, even while my render times are good (25ms)
Test D3D version, refresh rate, content type, overlay mode, queues, windowed mode etc. Better to get started with troubleshooting.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 08:47   #39067  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Test D3D version, refresh rate, content type, overlay mode, queues, windowed mode etc. Better to get started with troubleshooting.
already tested with D3D9 and 11, FES and overlay mode, refresh rate is good as before, used contend that worked before and queues are full, but jumping every 5 - 10 secs. Didn't happen before.

Will try latest nvidia 369.09 driver later...
Old 9th August 2016, 11:37   #39068  |  Link
dimitrik

I seem to have lost the ability to use NNEDI3 for image doubling/quadrupling on my Windows 10 desktop with an Nvidia GTX660Ti (using the latest drivers, 368.81). I've updated my system to Windows 10 anniversary edition, not sure if that makes a difference...

Anyone else having this issue? Any tips?
Thanks!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 3700x, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME SSD, Asus x570 Tuf Gaming, Nvidia RTX 2060.
dimitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 12:06   #39069  |  Link
huhn

do a clean install of your GPU driver and the problem should be fixed.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 13:39   #39070  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
I seem to have lost the ability to use NNEDI3 for image doubling/quadrupling on my Windows 10 desktop with an Nvidia GTX660Ti (using the latest drivers, 368.81). I've updated my system to Windows 10 anniversary edition, not sure if that makes a difference...

You asked if anyone had this issues without even looking back a page. I didn't post about it just to have people ask.. a few posts later, c'mon.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 17:16   #39071  |  Link
3x3cUt0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post

Thanks!
Reinstall drivers because you lost OpenCL and CUDA.

PD. next time look if somebody has a similar problem before posting.
3x3cUt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 17:55   #39072  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
Videogames have had HDR since early 2000s.
This older videogame HDR (basically another form of tonemapping that mostly just tries to simulate effects of light-to-dark and dark-to-light adaptation of human vision in SDR) has little to do with current actual HDR display or tonemapping high dynamic range content down to SDR. Current HDR will be coming to videogames though, and then either require tonemapping down to SDR or a HDR-capable display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegwyn11 View Post
what is madVR doing when you enable HDR processing? Is it just grading the source back to SDR using lookup tables?
madVR is using a pixelshader to do the tonemapping. Optionally using a dedicated 3D LUT instead will likely become available (again) in an upcoming version (currently that requires jumping through some hoops).

Last edited by fhoech; 9th August 2016 at 18:09.
fhoech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 18:35   #39073  |  Link
Aegwyn11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
madVR is using a pixelshader to do the tonemapping. Optionally using a dedicated 3D LUT instead will likely become available (again) in an upcoming version (currently that requires jumping through some hoops).
Got it, makes total sense. Hopefully we can get actual HDR output sooner rather than later.
Old 9th August 2016, 19:24   #39074  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
do a clean install of your GPU driver and the problem should be fixed.
Or it may not. After doing a deep uninstall and a clean re-install of the latest drivers I was still getting intermittent crashes in both versions of MPC, and JRiver Media Center 22 suffers from green screen and heavily distorted playback.

I found a suggestion online which worked pretty well, which was to do the deep uninstall and then install version 359.06 of the Nvidia drivers. I no longer have issues in MPC.

This is a problem Microsoft is aware of. There are multiple copies of opencl.dll in Win 10, and the Anniversary release apparently has at least one corrupt copy. madVR uses the Nvidia opencl.dll, as it should, but apparently MC 22 is loading the corrupted version before madVR can load the good one.

There's a new set of Win 10 fixes available in Update today, but of course with no information. Hopefully there's a fix for OpenCL included.

UPDATE: Just installed the Cumulative Update, and no fix for OpenCL.

Last edited by jkauff; 9th August 2016 at 19:38.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 19:57   #39075  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
There's a new set of Win 10 fixes available in Update today, but of course with no information.
Microsoft actually does release some information about the updates these days. If you click the "Learn More" button under "Looking for info on the latest updates?" in the Windows Update section of the settings, it takes you to this page. Then under "Updates for Windows 10 Version 1607" you can see the information about the latest update (or go to the knowledge base article for more detailed information). Looks like nothing but security updates for the components that could be affected here.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 21:16   #39076  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

OK I just tested without Reclock and my "video starts paused" issue still happens even without Reclock.

Therefore, so it's definitely something wacky with madVR or the combination of madVR + MPC-HC. I suppose I'll try with a fresh copy of MPC-HC (PortableApps ver) next as well as maybe MPC-BE to see if I can rule out my MPC-HC configuration being at fault...
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 21:22   #39077  |  Link
jkauff

Further update: over on the JRiver forum, Hendrik has confirmed that MC does NOT use OpenCL for anything. I guess I'll just stick with MPC for now.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 21:51   #39078  |  Link
dimitrik

Thanks to all of you for the input. A clean driver install is the first thing I did. I've had the problem before and fixed it that way. It didn't work this time, which is why I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Or it may not. After doing a deep uninstall and a clean re-install of the latest drivers I was still getting intermittent crashes in both versions of MPC, and JRiver Media Center 22 suffers from green screen and heavily distorted playback.

I found a suggestion online which worked pretty well, which was to do the deep uninstall and then install version 359.06 of the Nvidia drivers. I no longer have issues in MPC.

This is a problem Microsoft is aware of. There are multiple copies of opencl.dll in Win 10, and the Anniversary release apparently has at least one corrupt copy. madVR uses the Nvidia opencl.dll, as it should, but apparently MC 22 is loading the corrupted version before madVR can load the good one.

There's a new set of Win 10 fixes available in Update today, but of course with no information. Hopefully there's a fix for OpenCL included.

UPDATE: Just installed the Cumulative Update, and no fix for OpenCL.
Thanks for not treating me like an idiot, right off the bat. Version 359.06 seems to have done the trick. It's only a stopgap as I'll need to install the latest drivers soon', as I'm planning to upgrade my card, but for now, its ok. Much appreciated.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 3700x, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME SSD, Asus x570 Tuf Gaming, Nvidia RTX 2060.
dimitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 10:20   #39079  |  Link
roninf

Upscaling 3D MVC/Framepacked

Hi there,

i have got a question in regards to framepacked 3D and madvr... is it possible to upscale framepacked 3D to 4K without *loosing* 3D?
To be honest i`ve tried only one file so far but after upscaling it played only in 2D ... disabled upscaling and the file is played in 3D again.
Is this normal or should it play in 3D as well ?

Thanks very much in advance for your help

Greetings

Last edited by roninf; 10th August 2016 at 12:53.
roninf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 10:34   #39080  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

My system specification:

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 4.3GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
RAM: 16GB 1866MHz
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
TV: Samsung UE40H6400 1080p 3D

Software: MPC-HC + LAV Filters + madVR

I watch on my TV (1080p), which is connected with HDMI via receiver Onkyo TX-NR525, .mkv (1080p) created without quality loss from my collection of Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D discs. I would like to ask, if there are some options should I change from default in madVR, to have a better quality and use my above system optimaly or it's no necessary in such case, because Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D sources has already best quality?

My second question is, which will have better quality and visual effect:
- Blu-Ray movie 1080p watched on TV 1080p
- Blu-Ray movie 2160p watched on TV 1080p
Of course, when played via MPC-HC + LAV Filters + madVR. Is it worth to have 2160p HEVC x265 and watch at 1080p screen or 1080p movie will have a better quality?

I would be glad for your explanation and support.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 10th August 2016 at 10:52.
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling