Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th February 2018, 23:21   #49061  |  Link
ryrynz

But what are your GPU clock speeds doing? Render time may stay the same but you're using less power.

Also.. Your screenshot doesn't show me anything obviously set up wrong.. Do you have some image processing on?

Last edited by ryrynz; 19th February 2018 at 23:30.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 23:22   #49062  |  Link
mytbyte

If you are using HDR -> SDR conversion, perhaps it was set to low quality for preserve highlights before?

Last edited by mytbyte; 19th February 2018 at 23:25.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 23:31   #49063  |  Link
ryrynz

The new high quality preserve hue doesn't use much above the processing that was required for low/normal quality.
Old 19th February 2018, 23:35   #49064  |  Link
mclingo

I have a HDR TV so i'm passing through, i'm not doing any processing, using stock settings apart from those already mentioned. Playback is smooth even though its hammering my card.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 23:39   #49065  |  Link
mclingo

actually, i'm using dithering ED 2 which does add about 5 ms on top of ordered and 10ms on top of no dithering but I always use this.
Old 19th February 2018, 23:40   #49066  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
The new high quality preserve hue doesn't use much above the processing that was required for low/normal quality.
Not so sure, say, on s GTX 960, it's the same as has always been with HFS HDR - stuttering, render times too high for 60 fps video...
Old 19th February 2018, 23:57   #49067  |  Link
mclingo

what is it that most effectively determines the power of a GPU in MADVR, processing units, shaderss?, looking at these stats should I expect a more than double performance out of an RX470, how do we think these cards scale real life, worth the upgrade?

Radeon RX 570 Radeon RX 550
GPU Name Ellesmere (Ellesmere PRO) vs Polaris 12 (Baffin XT)
Fab Process 14 nm vs 14 nm
Die Size 232 mm² vs 0 mm²
Transistors 5,700 million vs unknown
Shaders 2048 vs 640
Compute Units 32 vs 10
Core clock 926 MHz vs 1125 MHz
ROPs 32 vs 16
TMUs 128 vs 40
Old 20th February 2018, 00:00   #49068  |  Link
mclingo

although now is clearly not the time to be buying a GFX card....
Old 20th February 2018, 00:01   #49069  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
lavfilter can't decode DVD by it self it is using the MS decoder.
Thanks, I did not know that. Just so we're clear, you do mean video decoding, and not the navigator? Does that also apply if the DVD is deCSS'd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Perhaps el filou has some truly progressive PAL DVDs? A run through mediainfo would reveal the truth?
I checked 2 of the last DVDs I bought (= format was mature & they probably were mastered correctly): No Country for Old Men, and Zodiac; both R2 french.
MediaInfo says progressive for all VOBs of NCfOM, and if I play the main feature from the start it indeed plays as progressive ("deinterlacing off (says upstream)"), like in the screenshot of the Paramount Vantage logo intro I took of it for steakhutzeee).
For Zodiac, MediaInfo says interlaced for the 1st VOB but progressive for the others. If I play the main feature from the start it plays as interlaced ("deinterlacing on (says upstream)"), but if I play the second VOB directly it plays as progressive.
I know MediaInfo only looks at the start of the file, and there's a ~12 second Warner logo intro clip at the start, I guess it's probably flagged as interlaced even though it isn't (no artifacts when I force weave on it).

I suspect what's happening is the decoder isn't detecting when the frame flags change from interlaced to progressive, like when you go from the menu to the main feature or when a main feature has interlaced intro clips, and that's why I have to stop after the feature has started and then resume from where I left to have my DVDs automatically play as progressive.
I clearly remember when I used the old NVIDIA PureVideo MPEG2 decoder 10 years ago, it was switching between interlaced and progressive on the fly with my DVDs.
I'll continue this discussion in the LAV thread to ask nevcairiel.

(for the anecdote, I have only one PAL DVD in my collection that I can't watch in progressive: The Abyss Extended Edition, R2 belgian. I don't know what the hell happened when they mastered that thing Edit: actually I know, only the extended sequences are interlaced, and they're true interlaced because I get jaggies)

Last edited by el Filou; 20th February 2018 at 01:27.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 03:03   #49070  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
actually, i'm using dithering ED 2 which does add about 5 ms on top of ordered and 10ms on top of no dithering but I always use this.
By picture processing I'm meaning Sharpening, RCA, AR etc. Check both before (device) and after upscaling. Might be best to just switch your settings out and test fresh.
Old 20th February 2018, 05:37   #49071  |  Link
takenori

hi, i want to ask, for a samsung monitor (32chg70) madvr reports the bitdepth of the monitor is 8bit, and the windows 10 reports it a 10bit.
is there any difference of which bitdepth should i choose (either via nvidia control panel or from madvrs bitdepth of which should i choose, auto or 8 (as madvr) or 10 or higher (as windows).
and for playing hdr content, is it okay to use 8bit or do i need to force them to 10bit?
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 06:06   #49072  |  Link
Asmodian

Set madVR to whatever you set Windows to, do check with test patterns the difference between 8 and 10-bit paths on your display. Sometimes 8-bit looks better (when the 10-bit path isn't good for some reason).
gradient-perceptual-colored-v2.1_24fps.mkv
gradient-perceptual-v2.1_24fps.mkv
Old 20th February 2018, 09:32   #49073  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

(for the anecdote, I have only one PAL DVD in my collection that I can't watch in progressive: The Abyss Extended Edition, R2 belgian. I don't know what the hell happened when they mastered that thing Edit: actually I know, only the extended sequences are interlaced, and they're true interlaced because I get jaggies)
AFAIK, The Abyss is most likely the old 4:3 letterboxed release from long ago, probably made from the TV version, relict of olden days...I'm eagerly waiting for the bluray that's allegedly in preparation...

Sadly I can't check my PAL DVDs for progressive flag, the DVD drive in the PC has failed, really no incentive to get a new one...wander if there is some other software that can detect and report flag changes throughout the video?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 09:38.
Old 20th February 2018, 11:01   #49074  |  Link
SEX
system

Wrong colors

Hello everyone! Is it normal that the image in the madVR has the wrong colors? My monitor is calibrated by colorimeter to default values: D65, Gamma 2.2 I tried to adjust the color in the madVR according to various instructions, but this does not help

SEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 11:07   #49075  |  Link
mytbyte

@SEX: we really need the screencapture of your MadVR OSD...generally, you can try enabling "this display is already calibrated" in calibraiton section under your display's model
Old 20th February 2018, 11:11   #49076  |  Link
huhn

you are playing back well... jpgs so you have to be a little bit more precise in what you are doing there.
they are not even remotely looking the same. so so they are altered.
so these are not videos so are the correct color informations even delivered to madVR?

Quote:
My monitor is calibrated by colorimeter to default values: D65, Gamma 2.2
and how did you do that?
it's just a white point and gamma so there are a lot of missing steps in term of "calibrations" and is this in ICC file is the monitor calibrated to let's say Bt709, sRGB or adobe RGB.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 11:29   #49077  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
@SEX: we really need the screencapture of your MadVR OSD...generally, you can try enabling "this display is already calibrated" in calibraiton section under your display's model

Old 20th February 2018, 11:32   #49078  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you are playing back well... jpgs so you have to be a little bit more precise in what you are doing there.
they are not even remotely looking the same. so so they are altered.
so these are not videos so are the correct color informations even delivered to madVR?

and how did you do that?
it's just a white point and gamma so there are a lot of missing steps in term of "calibrations" and is this in ICC file is the monitor calibrated to let's say Bt709, sRGB or adobe RGB.
sRGB IEC1966-2.1
Old 20th February 2018, 11:38   #49079  |  Link
mytbyte

@ sex: it very confusing...do you have ICC profile embedded in jpeg? If you do, I don't think MadVR can work with it...please let us know what Photoshop reports in the Doc tab/Document Profile (under the picture)...also do the colors change when you press Ctrl-Y in PS?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 11:41.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:03   #49080  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
@ sex: it very confusing...do you have ICC profile embedded in jpeg? If you do, I don't think MadVR can work with it...please let us know what Photoshop reports in the Doc tab/Document Profile (under the picture)...also do the colors change when you press Ctrl-Y in PS?
Untagged RGB (8bpc). Yes, they change

Here is the file. On your pc does it look normal?
Attached Images

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling