Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th March 2012, 14:04   #12581  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

With latest MadVR and latest MPC-HC the problem of loosing window icon and buttons after fullscreen mode is back for me. Is that a known issue?
Old 6th March 2012, 14:07   #12582  |  Link
HitomiKun

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitomiKun View Post
The video picture freezes on display mode change when having automatic fullscreen exclusive mode enabled.
Please retest with the next build, once it is released.
--- Build v0.82.1 ---
The video picture now does not freeze anymore when entering fullscreen with automatic exclusive mode. But a new error now crashes MadVR when leaving fullscreen.

logs: Download (571 KB)

3 logs:
1) without display mode reset on leaving fullscreen (shows the crash, then MPC-HC gets closed, then display mode gets reset.)

2) with display mode reset 1 (shows the crash, MPC-HC gets closed, then display mode gets reset - a bit too late)

3) with display mode reset 2 (shows the crash, waiting for display mode change, closing MPC-HC after display mode has changed)

I also noticed you added an awesome wait for display mod change on entering fullscreen, please add the same function for leaving fullscreen with display mode reset.

Thank you for your huge effort
HitomiKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 14:08   #12583  |  Link
noee

Quick test, still with B2, 82d solved the "next file/prev file" freeze and the seek freeze on my samples.

Quote:
With latest MadVR and latest MPC-HC the problem of loosing window icon and buttons after fullscreen mode is back for me.
Heh, just noticed that too. When the video is playing, the task bar icon shows MPC-HC with the paused image. Wonder if it's related to the artwork changes recently?

Last edited by noee; 6th March 2012 at 14:10.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 14:29   #12584  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
With latest MadVR and latest MPC-HC the problem of loosing window icon and buttons after fullscreen mode is back for me. Is that a known issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Heh, just noticed that too. When the video is playing, the task bar icon shows MPC-HC with the paused image. Wonder if it's related to the artwork changes recently?
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about? Can you check whether the problem was introduced by madVR or by the new MPC-HC build? If it was introduced by madVR, how can I reproduce it? Maybe a screenshot would help me understand what you mean?

Quote:
--- Build v0.82.1 ---
The video picture now does not freeze anymore when entering fullscreen with automatic exclusive mode. But a new error now crashes MadVR when leaving fullscreen.

3 logs
For crashes, debug logs don't help. For freezes, debug logs alone don't help, either. If the crash occurred inside of madVR, you should get a madVR crash box, allowing you to send a crash report to me. Did you get that box? If not, maybe the crash was not in madVR, but in MPC-HC? Or are we talking about a freeze here and not a crash? If you have a freeze, please try to get a freeze report by using Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break. If that doesn't work, try the "madTraceProcess" tool (see v0.82 release notes).

Quote:
I also noticed you added an awesome wait for display mod change on entering fullscreen, please add the same function for leaving fullscreen with display mode reset.
I'm not sure what you mean? Can you clarify?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 14:30   #12585  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

A new MPC-HC build is available here:

http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/index.php?folder=bXBjLWhj

Can you guys please test whether the freeze with v0.81 is gone? Would be important to know, so Aleksoid knows if his fix worked or not. Thx.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:39   #12586  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

When I go to fullscreen mode (exclusive) and then back to windowed mode, the MPC-HC window is loosing it's icon. Sometimes the window buttons are lots too.

See:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/848...windowicon.png

(There should be the MPC icon in the upper left corner. And in the upper right corner there should be minimize/maximize/close buttons)
Old 6th March 2012, 14:43   #12587  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Just to be safe, are you using D3D11 presentation (madVR settings)? I've only heard of this problem yet with D3D11.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:43   #12588  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Just to be safe, are you using D3D11 presentation (madVR settings)? I've only heard of this problem yet with D3D11.
Yes, I do. Bad idea?
Old 6th March 2012, 14:44   #12589  |  Link
HitomiKun

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean? Can you clarify?
If I enter fullscreen with automatic exclusive mode, the video stops until my display mode has changed and then continues to play. But when I leave fullscreen while having "reset original display mode on fullscreen leave" on, the video does not stop and wait until my screen has changed. The video goes on while display mode changes and I can't see anything on display mode change, because I get a black screen for a few sec.

(I could be wrong and this would be just the "wait until render queue is full" function)

Well currently MadVR crashes (freezes?) on fullscreen leave. It reports:
- resetting Direct3D device failed (80070005)
- creating Direct3D device failed (80070005)

Well MPC-HC does not crash when madVR gets this error, so I guess it's a freeze? I'm trying to get a more accurate error report with the tools you provided.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:52   #12590  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Yes, I do. Bad idea?
Not necessarily. The D3D11 presentation option is there for a reason. Does this test build improve the situation for you?

http://madshi.net/madVRLoRd.zip

Quote:
If I enter fullscreen with automatic exclusive mode, the video stops until my display mode has changed and then continues to play. But when I leave fullscreen while having "reset original display mode on fullscreen leave" on, the video does not stop and wait until my screen has changed. The video goes on while display mode changes and I can't see anything on display mode change, because I get a black screen for a few sec.
The "pause" you may be setting when entering FSE mode is not intentional, it's probably a side effect of some other things. I'm afraid of adding a pause or something when leaving FSE mode. There are too many problems at the moment to try and do funny new stuff, which may add even more problems.

Quote:
Well currently MadVR crashes (freezes?) on fullscreen leave. It reports:
- resetting Direct3D device failed (80070005)
- creating Direct3D device failed (80070005)
That's neither a crash nor a freeze. A crash is when you get a crash box from either Windows or madVR. A freeze is when the media player gets unresponsive. What you have is a different problem.

Which OS are you using? Which GPU? Are you using D3D9 or D3D11 presentation? Do you have the option "pre-present frames in advance" turned on/off?
Old 6th March 2012, 15:02   #12591  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Not necessarily. The D3D11 presentation option is there for a reason. Does this test build improve the situation for you?

http://madshi.net/madVRLoRd.zip
No difference. Sorry.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:04   #12592  |  Link
noee

Quote:
A new MPC-HC build is available here:

http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/index.php?folder=bXBjLWhj

Can you guys please test whether the freeze with v0.81 is gone? Would be important to know, so Aleksoid knows if his fix worked or not. Thx.
Tested 4128 with .81 and yes, the seek, next file/prev file, File Close (Ctrl+c) and AppExit (Alt+x) are all fixed here.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 15:12   #12593  |  Link
HitomiKun

I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break while the error was displayed. The file created should say everything about my PC sys (I also added some lines to my PC description and marked them as "user edited".)

Download (6,18 KB)

I have "present several frames in advance" enabled and it holds the value 8 on the windowed mode and exclusive mode section.
-> Disabling this function fixed the error. <-

Edit: The freeze report log says:
exception message : The process seems to be frozen.
So it is actually a freeze? MPC-HC is unresponsive when I click stop, play and everything else. (except the close button)

Last edited by HitomiKun; 6th March 2012 at 15:16.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:41   #12594  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break while the error was displayed. The file created should say everything about my PC sys (I also added some lines to my PC description and marked them as "user edited".)

Download (6,18 KB)

I have "present several frames in advance" enabled and it holds the value 8 on the windowed mode and exclusive mode section.
-> Disabling this function fixed the error. <-

Edit: The freeze report log says:
exception message : The process seems to be frozen.
So it is actually a freeze? MPC-HC is unresponsive when I click stop, play and everything else. (except the close button)
Unresponsive means if you can't click anything, respectively whatever you do is totally ignored. Usually also menus are not drawn correctly anymore etc. <- That's a freeze. What you have doesn't seem to be a freeze. The "The process seems to be frozen" message always appears if you press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break.

A couple of questions:

(1) Are you using D3D9 or D3D11 presentation?
(2) Does the problem always occur or just sometimes?
(3) Which exact madVR version introduced the problem for you?
Old 6th March 2012, 16:11   #12595  |  Link
HitomiKun

1) I'm using D3D9.

2) After some testing I found out that it always occures on the resolution 1920x1080 on colourful/complex scenes.

I tested a 1920x1080 file that had an pretty simple intro without much movement. If I leave fullscreen on that simple animation, it does not freeze. After I went a bit further to a more complex scene where lots of colours and movement is shown, madVR get's the error on fullscreen leave. All 1280x720 files I tested didn't get the error in any situation. I'm trying to extract a sample right now.

3) This problem came up with v0.82.1. I didn't test v0.82 because v0.82.1 got released a few minutes right after 0.82. On v0.81 I didn't experience any of these errors (except the frame freeze on fullscreen enter with automatic exclusive mode, that is fixed now)

Edit:
2) It seems to come and go whenever it wants, but I have to approve that it only happens on 1080p with complex scenes, 90% of all tests with 1080p have resulted with an error on fullscreen leave.

Edit 2:
3) I just tested v0.80 and v0.81, both didn't have the error while leaving fullscreen. It's probably some new bug introduced with the "* improved exclusive -> windowed switch a little bit more" update. I guess it now tries to refresh the frame on display mode change but while leaving fullscreen it has to switch back to windowed mode and that mode may cause the problem. (just my idea) The switch to windowed -> exclusive mode seems to work in v0.82.1 without frame freeze, the function that fixed the frame freeze may have caused the new bug.

Edit 3:
I can't get a sample, files are too big and I can't cut out a part of a mkv video without re-encoding (direct stream copy not supported on mkv I guess).

Last edited by HitomiKun; 6th March 2012 at 16:44.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:52   #12596  |  Link
fairchild

I also started to experience MPC-HC hangs after every closing of file while in FSE as well as when skipping to next file either in same directory or playlist. I tried out PotPlayer and everything works perfect, so needless to say I'm going to start using PotPlayer from now on. It does almost everything as well as MPC-HC when it comes to integration with Lav Filters + MadVR + Reclock.
Old 6th March 2012, 17:32   #12597  |  Link
Gelatinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
I have this bug too, but it has been happening to me since at least .80; i believe it is related to the option "delay playback start until render queue is full"

Pausing and unpausing corrects the icon for me.
Gelatinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 18:05   #12598  |  Link
zmaster
nvidia user

Quote:
* the source levels (TV vs PC) can be stored now
zmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 19:10   #12599  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@HitomiKun and LoRd_MuldeR,

can you please try whether this build improves the situation for you?

http://madshi.net/madVR82e.zip
Old 6th March 2012, 19:20   #12600  |  Link
kalston

FSE to windowed works a lot better than before for me (both ways) on JRiver. Thanks for that!

Btw I've noticed (not specific to this version) that the FSE seek bar doesn't work on JRiver. Instead, moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen makes madVR go into windowed mode and display the same overlay as when you move the mouse to the top of the screen. So I've disabled the seek bar in madVR settings and got used to it. Still, I liked having that tiny seekbar in FSE on MPC.
When I pause with a keyboard key, I've noticed that there actually is some kind of seekbar in FSE in JRiver (with the time left etc), but it doesn't work when moving the mouse while playing.

*I only use the old FSE if that matters (nvidia user).
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling