Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 8th February 2005, 03:28   #1  |  Link
opsis81

FilmShrink

What is FilmShrink?

FilmShrink is a DVD-Video backup software for Windows, which transcodes video titles into the RealMedia format (RealVideo / RealAudio 10) powered by the Helix DNA platform. It supports batch encoding, multichannel audio, subtitles, and it has a user-friendly GUI, so it's very easy to use for everyone.

Homepage
http://filmshrink.sourceforge.net/
opsis81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 19:08   #2  |  Link
karl_lillevold

This looks very nice!! Elegant UI and very simple to use, everything completely automatic, and well suited for beginners No choices for the expert though (filters, resize, de-interlace, inv-telecine), but I am sure this is a design decision, and the program is intended to figure these settings out automatically. I will try on some various content to see what it does.

When I first tried it, it told me most of my VOBs were invalid, after analyzing, even though the folder plays nicely in all s/w DVD players. What typically could be the problem in this case?

Then on another DVD 'folder', it analyzed the VOBs fine, and I was able to create and start encoding a job. Then, I noticed in the job file,
<rcBestPSNRMode type="bool">true</rcBestPSNRMode> is used.
I have mentioned a few times, this mode is purely experimental, and may hurt visual quality, and I would recommend to not use this.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 9th February 2005 at 00:20.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 19:31   #3  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I added FilmShrink to the Helix Producer Frontends sticky.
What is needed to compile FilmShrink from source?
Old 8th February 2005, 23:38   #4  |  Link
Wilbert

Apperently it contains AC3Source/DTSSource (and other) AviSynth plugins, but I can't get them to work manually (ie outside FilmShrink). Please notify me

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89629

if you can get it to work.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2005, 00:11   #5  |  Link
opsis81

This GUI is amazing.I don't know much about RealVideo but I would call it the AutoGK for RealVideo with the beauty of DVDShrink.
I downloaded the source from http://filmshrink.sourceforge.net/dl.html
and in read me it says:

3. Compiling Instructions

FilmShrink must be compiled using Borland C++Builder 6. You have to install the latest version of the following components:

* Toolbar2000 -> http://www.jrsoftware.org/
* TBX -> http://g32.org/
* Windows XP Theme Manager -> http://www.lischke-online.de/

The path of the directories containing the include files of these libraries
must be added to the "Include Path" of the project (Project->Options->
Directories/Conditionals).

FilmShrink also requires m2tools, which can be downloaded from the project's
website. The contents of the "<m2tools>\include" directory must be copied
into "<FilmShrink>\src\m2tools".

Any patches karl_lillevold are very welcome
Old 9th February 2005, 10:59   #6  |  Link
tiki4

I tested this shortly yesterday and I must say this is really impressive. This is already quite much feature complete when it comes to a beginners GUI. Also encoding straight from the DVD Image mounted by Daemon tools is very nice.
A little feature request from my side would be an option to change the priority producer is run at. At the moment it is set to normal priority which might get a little bit annoying if doing other things in the foreground. So either default to idle priority or let the user choose.

Cheers,

tiki4
tiki4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2005, 18:50   #7  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Thanks for the compile info.

I tried a couple of more examples, but I always end up with invalid VOBs and so far have not been able to select the main movie, because it always has VOBs that fail analysis. I was able to encode a trailer though
Old 9th February 2005, 18:59   #8  |  Link
tiki4

Did you try to encode from a mounted DVD image? This worked quite well for me.

tiki4
Old 9th February 2005, 19:01   #9  |  Link
karl_lillevold

No, hard-drive folder with all DVD files (unencrypted).
Old 9th February 2005, 22:23   #10  |  Link
a_afra

Hi,

My name is Attila Afra, and I'm the developer of FilmShrink. First of all I would like to thank everybody who tried out my tool. The "invalid VOBs" bug is quite weird, because I've tested FilmShrink with several DVDs (including "The Matrix", which is quite complex), and I've never seen this problem. If the "VTS_?? is invalid" message appeared AFTER analysing the respecting title set, then the bug is probably in the IFO parsing part. Karl, could you please send me those IFO files (or at least one of them), the directory listing and some details about the video stream (TV system, aspect ratio, framerate)? These could help me a lot in finding and fixing this serious problem.

As you can see, FilmShrink currently doesn't has advanced options for experts, but I'm working on a new version (I will release it in about 2-3 weeks) which will contain a lot of new features:

- manual crop
- custom encoding complexity
- de-interlace, inv-telecine, noise filter options
- advanced codec options
- 2 audio tracks
- external subtitles
- adjustable encoder priority

Also rcBestPSNRMode will be removed from the job template, as suggested by Karl, and I will try to fix as many bugs as possible. Of course, beginners won't have to deal with the new advanced options, because everything will remain automatic by default. I don't have too much time for testing, so if you find a bug, please let me know about it! If you have any suggestions/feature requests, post them right here!

I've noticed that a few people are interested in the new AviSynth plugins used by FilmShrink. These plugins are part of m2tools, which can be downloaded (full source code) from FilmShrink's homepage. m2input is a slightly modified version of DGDecode, and ac3input/dtsinput/lpcminput/mpainput were written by me using different decoder libraries (liba52, libdts/libdca, MAD). The cause of your problems is that the video/audio plugins can only accept files generated by m2index, the main indexer library, which is based on DGIndex. m2index first creates a "full" video/audio/subpic index, from which you can later rebuild (using the m2rebuild function) the index of a single PGC/angle, usable by the plugins. I will soon write a detailed description on how to use this package, and I will release a sample command-line tool (with source) which uses m2index.
I'm awaiting all your questions and suggestions...

Attila
a_afra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 09:35   #11  |  Link
tiki4

Hello Attila,

welcome on doom9.

tiki4

Edit: typo
Old 10th February 2005, 19:24   #12  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Attila: Yes, welcome! And with quite an impressive GUI to bring along.. I sent the information you requested via e-mail. Hope it is useful.
Old 10th February 2005, 20:17   #13  |  Link
a_afra

Thanks, Karl! I've managed to fix the bug! The IFO parsing code was OK, the problem was with the NTSC detection. I will release the fixed version this weekend.
Old 11th February 2005, 00:31   #14  |  Link
opsis81

Welcome Attila
Please give me the option to encode HE-AAC at 64 Kbit or 96 Kbit.
Even if I select "downmix channels to stereo" the program goes for surround mode at 96 and 64 Kbit,so it encodes with cook and not racp.
I haven't been able to use racp below 128 kbit until now.
Could an option to choose between multichannel,surround or stereo could do what I want?
Also the volume of my encodes seems to be low .Is there any option that could boost volume and I'm missing it?If there isn't any could you add it?
Old 11th February 2005, 20:36   #15  |  Link
a_afra

There is currently no option for boosting the volume, but I will implement it in the next version. Are you sure that the volumes in the volume control/player are all turned up? The volume of my encodes are all normal.

I will also add the option to encode HE-AAC at 64/96 Kbps in downmixing mode too.

Last edited by a_afra; 11th February 2005 at 20:40.
Old 11th February 2005, 23:50   #16  |  Link
opsis81

Everything is set to default values in my volume control/player.But it is true that I want audio a little louder than the usual.
Another future request:the program doesn't seem to remember my settings.It would be cool if they could be stored in registry or to an ini file.This isn't a top priority request.There are other things you should change or add first.
Old 12th February 2005, 00:46   #17  |  Link
damrod

we can select only dvd folder as source?
bad luck i use mpeg2 file for my video capture
damrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 20:56   #18  |  Link
a_afra

Yes, you can transcode only DVDs.
Old 16th February 2005, 12:55   #19  |  Link
Ishan
Anime Vampire

Too bad
I also do some cap using my dvb-c card wich output MPEG2/MP2 audio.
Any way to add .mpg input with frame accurate cuting? (to cut commercial and others...)
I'm manualy doing it using avisynth/vdubmod, encoding to xvid/mp2 but rmvb would be a nice option
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2005, 21:53   #20  |  Link
karl_lillevold

any news on the update to fix the NTSC problem?