Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 26th November 2011, 17:24   #7341  |  Link
gav1577

Hi Nev would you possibly consider at some point adding a sharpening filter like swscaler? Tbh its the only reason i still use ffdshow raw filter, its the best sharpener i have have used to date.
gav1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 17:31   #7342  |  Link
kennae

Hello nev. Remember when you asked few months back what feature people would still need? I think most votes had the stereo downsampling request, since now you need to add ffdshow to the mix and most would like to get rid of it. Same goes for me. Just to remind you.

I can live like this, since you are a genious and made such a wonderful product for us to enjoy for free.

I have used the trunk builds from the start and had no real problems and thats impressive. Keep up the great work!
kennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 18:10   #7343  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennae View Post
Just to remind you.
To remind you: http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/issues/detail?id=11
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 18:30   #7344  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That was fixed last night.
Sweet
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 20:00   #7345  |  Link
BloodySword

AAC decoding with libavcodec has problems with some SBR and PS files. So I'd like to use libfaad2.
The werid thing is, that only in ADTS it does not work. In isomM4A it works perfectly.

Last edited by BloodySword; 26th November 2011 at 20:03.
BloodySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 20:25   #7346  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

ADTS has a special header so that you can switch channel count mid-stream, which is not supported otherwise. A clear short-coming of libfaad, imho.
Thats also the reason the header was not removed - because with it LAV Audio supports on-the-fly channel layout changes (which happen on live tv). Stupid ffdshow somehow accepted my special ADTS media type...

Last edited by nevcairiel; 26th November 2011 at 20:28.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 21:34   #7347  |  Link
BloodySword

Can't it be controlled by media type? So that LAV Audio uses another media type for the header and the media type FFDshow libdaad2 uses for without the header?
Old 26th November 2011, 22:02   #7348  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySword View Post
Can't it be controlled by media type? So that LAV Audio uses another media type for the header and the media type FFDshow libdaad2 uses for without the header?
Thats what i did, yet ffdshow still accepted it, because its stupid.
I fixed it, though.
Old 26th November 2011, 22:43   #7349  |  Link
Reino

LAV Filters 0.40 bug report (splitter in particular):

MKV[H.264+Vorbis] sample
For some mysterious reason the LAV Splitter refuses to connect to FFDShow's Audio Decoder. The LAV Audio Decoder always kicks in. Just try this sample in MONOGRAM GraphStudio and manually add FFDShow's Audio Decoder. The LAV Splitter and FFDShow's Audio Decoder don't seem to agree with each other.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:01   #7350  |  Link
BloodySword

Found another problem: When I have a MKV file with WAVEPack audio in hybrid mode (lossy) with 96KHz 32 bit float, the WAVEPack decoder messes eveything up, the renderer tries to render it with 16 bit, the playback is 50% slow, is distorted and the video is stuttering. When I think of it, I can not realize what goes wrong here. When I play the WAVEPack file alone, everything works fine.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:03   #7351  |  Link
BloodySword

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRoNe View Post

MKV[H.264+Vorbis] sample
For some mysterious reason the LAV Splitter refuses to connect to FFDShow's Audio Decoder. The LAV Audio Decoder always kicks in. Just try this sample in MONOGRAM GraphStudio and manually add FFDShow's Audio Decoder. The LAV Splitter and FFDShow's Audio Decoder don't seem to agree with each other.
After updating ffDShow, Vorbis won't be decoded anymore because they removed the tremor decoder. I had to enable libavcodec and it worked well for me.
Old 27th November 2011, 02:21   #7352  |  Link
leewalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Then you failed at putting the dts dll in the proper directory, or are using a very old version of the dll and forgot to install the required runtime (which would be automatically installed if you installed TMT. )
TMT is installed - latest version. Trying to cover all the bases - still no luck:
C:\>dir "c:\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters\dts*.*" /s
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is E273-295C

Directory of c:\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters

10/29/2010 09:31 PM 936,512 dtsdecoderdll.dll
1 File(s) 936,512 bytes

Directory of c:\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters\x64

1 File(s) 936,512 bytes

Directory of c:\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters\x86

1 File(s) 936,512 bytes

Total Files Listed:
3 File(s) 2,809,536 bytes
0 Dir(s) 53,208,334,336 bytes free

C:\>
Any guess on what might be wrong with my setup?
leewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 05:15   #7353  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

subtitles with undetermined language will not be displayed by default unless a "und" 3-letter code is added to the subtitle option in the splitter.

Cheers!
Old 27th November 2011, 08:15   #7354  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
subtitles with undetermined language will not be displayed by default unless a "und" 3-letter code is added to the subtitle option in the splitter.
Thats how its supposed to work.
Old 27th November 2011, 11:03   #7355  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
After updating ffDShow, Vorbis won't be decoded anymore because they removed the tremor decoder. I had to enable libavcodec and it worked well for me.
I don't see what this has anything to do with Tremor. Libavcodec has been the only Vorbis audio decoder in FFDShow for some time now.
This MKV[H.264+Vorbis] sample is the exception. I have a lot more MKV-files where the LAV Splitter connects to FFDShow's Audio Decoder effortlessly. I just can't figure it out.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:11   #7356  |  Link
ragg987

Bitsream DTS-HD and not DTS?

Hi, I am new to LAV and previously used ffdshow. Loving the rules-based subtitle functionality in LAV splitter.

I am tying to use audio decoder as follows:
- if audio is DTS-HD, bitstream
- if audio is DTS, do not bitstream

I wish to use reclock to slow down my PAL DTS DVDs, hence need PCM out with DTS audio.

How can I achieve this? The options in the audio decoder only permit DTS-HD to be bitstream if DTS is also bitstreamed.

Using ATI5750 card with HDMI, Windows 7 32-bit and MPC-HC.
ragg987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 13:35   #7357  |  Link
BloodySword

Quote:
I don't see what this has anything to do with Tremor. Libavcodec has been the only Vorbis audio decoder in FFDShow for some time now.
This MKV[H.264+Vorbis] sample is the exception. I have a lot more MKV-files where the LAV Splitter connects to FFDShow's Audio Decoder effortlessly. I just can't figure it out.
Seems to be a problem in the initialization header of the vorbis stream. It is AOTUV, could you check it if you mux standard vorbis?

When I Demux it, the audio file plays normal with LAV Splitter and ffDSHOw, only in MKV it does not play sound at all.

MKV is very buggy I think. I get problems with WAVEPack audio in 32 bit float. It plays as 16 bit signed integer and it sounds slow and distorted.

Just use MP4 with AAC SBR+PS. Sounds not as good as vorbis, but it just works and it is standard.

But I think as soon as LAV Splitter and the Audio and Video filters have the functionality I need wich is in ffDSHOW, I will remove ffDSHOW.

I only need kernel deinterlacer and yadif for interlaced material, audio seems to be ok.

Last edited by BloodySword; 27th November 2011 at 13:38.
Old 27th November 2011, 13:46   #7358  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragg987 View Post
I am tying to use audio decoder as follows:
- if audio is DTS-HD, bitstream
- if audio is DTS, do not bitstream

How can I achieve this? The options in the audio decoder only permit DTS-HD to be bitstream if DTS is also bitstreamed.
Hmm.. uncheck DTS-HD in LAV at all, use ffdshow for DTS-HD bitstream.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 13:52   #7359  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:

MKV[H.264+Vorbis] sample
Fixed

Quote:
MKV is very buggy I think.
MKV is a container, Containers cannot be "buggy". Its most likely just the muxer that produced something horrible, or the demuxer not reading it properly (or the format just being screwed up in general, like WavPack Hybrid, horrible idea of a format)

MP4 is a even worse container, fwiw.
Take a already horrible container based on QuickTime, and try to add some rather odd ideas an top, and then call it a ISO standard .. voila, MP4

PS:
If you ever want something fixed, i need a sample of a failing file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragg987 View Post
Not with LAV Audio. DTS-HD is DTS, just with some extra data, separating the logic for the two would add quite some complexitiy for some rather obscure use-cases. I mean, if you want to use ReClock, just decode all audio.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 27th November 2011 at 14:02.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 14:14   #7360  |  Link
BloodySword

To use binary XML for a container format is a very bad idea. It's just too complicated to deal with, I hate MKV and I always remux files with H264 and AAC to MP4, because it just works - and it just works on my Samsung Galaxy S, too. I got several problems with MKV, so I dropped it.

I did a draft for a simple but universal container format. If you are interested, write a PM.

What is wrong with WAVEPack Hybrid? It sounds 10000x better than any psycho format like mp3, AAC and vorbis, because it does not touch the frequency spectrum. That's why I wanted to use this.

The WAVEPack decoder in libavcodec is not usable, it is very buggy. Sometimes you can hear "ticks" and sometimes any channel gets muted. The original decoder filter of core codec does not work when demuxed from MKV.

@PS: How can I cut an MKV to a piece of 3 seconds? Does MKVMerge support it?

Last edited by BloodySword; 27th November 2011 at 14:28.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter