Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 13th July 2006, 02:21   #1  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

How do you determine the framerate of a video?

Having recently discovered the wonders of Gabest's FLV splitter and enabling FLV1 decoding on FFDShow, I was going to try making watchable versions of a couple of X-Men anime intros on YouTube.

In trying to find out the A/V specs of each file, I used ZoomPlayer and FFDShow's tray icons. The "Playing Information" dialog in Zoomplayer reported the files as having 29.97fps but the FFDShow's "Video Decoder" section reports it as having 25fps. The only other thing I can think of to find out a video's framerate is to open it via AVISource or DirectShowSource (without setting the fps parameter).

So, which method do you trust will give you the real framerate of a video?

Last edited by Chainmax; 14th July 2006 at 03:05.
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 03:03   #2  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

You could try seeing what MediaInfo reports on the file. It does have some bugs, but I've not seen any in the frame rate reporting aspect of the program.

I would also like to know if there are any trusted apps that will accurately report similar info and in detail like MediaInfo.
chipzoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 06:41   #3  |  Link
fccHandler
Registered Jedi

From what I understand, FLV doesn't have a fixed frame rate. All video and audio samples are simply time stamped.
Old 14th July 2006, 03:00   #4  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

So how can I convert them to DVD compliant MPEG2 then?
Old 14th July 2006, 05:22   #5  |  Link
fccHandler
Registered Jedi

Sorry, I have no idea. I don't know a whole lot about them. I know that the open source MPlayer will play and decode them, so maybe you could start from there. However you do it though, I fear it may be a very frustrating project.
Old 14th July 2006, 19:34   #6  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Oh, it's very easy to do so as I can open them in Avisynth, the only problem I have is what to set DirectShowSource's fps parameter to (or at all, is it really necessary?).
Old 15th July 2006, 09:56   #7  |  Link
fccHandler
Registered Jedi

If you're making a PAL DVD, you might try using the "convertfps" flag, for example:

DirectShowSource("movie.flv", fps=25, convertfps=true)
Old 15th July 2006, 18:58   #8  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I'd rather not do that. If it's VFR, I'd like to find out and then use VFR-dedicated framerate conversion methods.
Old 16th July 2006, 09:50   #9  |  Link
Moitah

fccHandler is correct, there is no frame rate defined in a FLV file, only timestamps on each frame.

EDIT: I had said that the timestamps don't look correct but I was parsing them wrong :P.

Last edited by Moitah; 16th July 2006 at 10:08.
Moitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 22:58   #10  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Is there a way to use that timestamp info to make as good a conversion to DVD-compliant MPEG2 as possible? If not, I'll just treat is as CFR, so which method would you recommend me to trust:

- The "Playing Information" dialog in Zoomplayer?
- FFDShow's tray icon's "Video Decoder" section?

or

- opening it via AVISource or DirectShowSource without setting the fps parameter and check VDUbMod's "File Information" section?
Old 19th July 2006, 00:47   #11  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

That's a surefire way to hit desync. You can just use
Code:
DirectShowSource("x.flv",fps=59.94,convertfps=true)
separatefields().selectevery(4, 0, 3).weave()
to minimize judder. (Or fps=50.) One thought I had was to use a dedup log to check for drop patterns that would indicate vfr video, but it'd take a little coding to make the checking less painful.

Avisynth's vfr capabilities are just too limited to do anything more advanced (mocomp, or even blending) if it is vfr.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 00:59   #12  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I still have to know wether to set fps as 59.94 or 50, which depends on wether the source is reported as 25fps or 29.97fps. So, which fps report should I use as a base for that decision? Also, should I include audio=true to the script snippet you posted or does it not affect A/V synch?

[edit] I used your suggestion and I get some sort of interlacing artifacts .

Last edited by Chainmax; 20th July 2006 at 01:35.
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 02:26   #13  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Well, you said you were going to DVD so I assumed you wanted interlaced. Guess not.

What I meant by the fps is what your destination format is, not whatever the source is. Say, if the source is some combination of 10, 12, 25, and 30, and you're going to 50i, what would you even do with it? There's no way you can convert it properly to 50p once it's inside avisynth, unless you find the ranges, split them up, and process each separately, so you might as well just duplicate frames up to 50p on input and cut down to 50i for DVD. Or 60p/60i.

If you can be sure it's cfr or at least mostly cfr (via dedup logs, ffdshow osd timestamp logs, or mkv timecodes), then you can load at that and use your favorite avisynth-based conversion, of course. Someone's working on a mkv v2->v1 converter that'll make that easy, and I think the ffdshow osd timestamp format can be easily converted to mkv v2.
Old 20th July 2006, 17:01   #14  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Well, the source is progressive, so keeping it progressive is a better idea, right?

By the way, could you tell me where to find info on checking out if it's cfr or at least mostly cfr via dedup logs, ffdshow osd timestamp logs, or mkv timecodes? I have no idea how to do either.
Old 25th July 2006, 18:27   #15  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

foxyshadis?
Old 27th July 2006, 10:41   #16  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Sorry, I've been meaning to come up with a tool to do it, in lieu of a decent explanation, because doing it manually is no fun. But say you import it with Directshowsource at 120fps (fps=119.88,convertfps=true), and use dedup on it (DupMC(log="dedup.txt")). You would scan the log for patterns that indicate its true framerate - most will be 0 difference, the ones that aren't are the important ones.

If there's one non-zero frame every 5 lines, it's 24fps, if it's every 4 lines, it's 30fps, and if it's a pattern of mostly 5s with an occasional 4, it's 25. If it's hybrid some areas will be one and others another. It might even be much lower, like 10 or 12 fps. Raise the import framerate as necessary (try 12000 if you need real precision) to figure out 30 vs 29.97 or 24 vs 23.967 based on the exact numbers of dup frames inserted.

You can see why this is better done with a tool. I have some ideas but it requires modifying dedup.
Old 27th July 2006, 23:22   #17  |  Link
Moitah

I'm releasing a new version of FLV Extract a bit later today that can output a timecode file. It also will tell you the average framerate (frame count divided by duration), and it tries to estimate the true frame rate (ignores timestamp skips).

EDIT: Done, see my site or my thread in A/V containers.

Last edited by Moitah; 28th July 2006 at 00:06.
Moitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 01:50   #18  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I'll use your program and compare it to foxyshadis's once it's released. Thanks for the answers .
Old 28th July 2006, 02:06   #19  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

This is strange, the first file shows this report:

So I guess I can use DSS("",fps=29.97,convertfps=true,...)

The second file shows this report:

I guess I could use fps=23.976,convertfps=true, but it's strange that it reports different things than the first one since they are two intros from the same show. If you want to take a look at the timecodes, I uploaded them to RapidShare:

http://rapidshare.de/files/27275749/...o_N_1.txt.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/27275754/...o_N_2.txt.html
Old 28th July 2006, 02:48   #20  |  Link
Moitah

Looks like my calculation method didn't work so well on the second one. This is how the timestamps are in the timecode file you uploaded:

Code:
time delta     # of frames
33 ms          1025
34 ms          388
67 ms          515
66 ms          23
100 ms         46
101 ms         15
134 ms         4
133 ms         3
The 66/67 ms frames slip into the frame rate calculation because there are so many of them (> 10% which is the current threshold). I'll see what I can come up with.