Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 5th December 2001, 10:43   #21  |  Link
dvd2svcd

I am currently doing intensive tests to figure out why this is happening. The movie I'm trying to convert is a Warner Bros movie called Soldier. (maybe the fact it is a Warner Bros is the problem, since I've heard from more than one that they have problems with WB movies). Anyway, CCE stalls a either the 2nd or the 3rd pass (19% or 39%) all depending on the setup. Luckily I have 3 computers to test this on so I can do 3 different setup each time it fails. I will get back to you all if I'm successful.
Old 5th December 2001, 11:46   #22  |  Link
Morgan

Quality control... Censorship even

Hi

Maybe CCE is employing some kind of subjective quality filter here, reads the film as one pass (not knowing what to expect) and then decides that at a certain point it is sh**e and then locks up. That is why it probably happens on Warner Bros films...

Just a thought.

Morgan

Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2001, 11:48   #23  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Maybe Anyway I didn't say that it happens on all WB movies, only that I have heard more than once that WB movies are difficult.
Old 5th December 2001, 14:15   #24  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Maybe a breakthrough

Ok, I have now gone past 39% of Soldier. All I did was lowering the Max. Bitrate (2498) down to 2400 (if you have the time you can experiment with 2400 and go down from there). Could you all please try this too?
Just make sure that the Max. Avg. bitrate is smaller (with about 100) than Max. Bitrate
Old 5th December 2001, 14:22   #25  |  Link
Morgan

Hi

I will give that a try and repost on how it goes...

Morgan
Old 6th December 2001, 02:54   #26  |  Link
Hcrejazz

I have tried dvdsvcd on 10 different computers and operating systems at home and they all worked perfect when backing up my purchased dvd's. Only time I noticed when first starting out that cce had problems was when I had the wrong cce version. Lot of the times it looked like it was the right version but it wasn't and crashed/froze at around 30 percent then I finally figured out which correct version of cce to use. I see alot of people posting crash and freezing problems with cce probably due to the fact their probably not using the correct version. Or I could be totally wrong...lol

peep
Hcrejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2001, 05:46   #27  |  Link
Necro

Well, I thought I posted my log file here last nite. Anyway, I've tried something drastic...I reinstalled WinXP onto my secondary OS partition and only installed DVD2SVCD software. And now (god willing, I have 1.5 hours left in a 14 hour freakin encode...just the CCE part...the other part took like 4 hours) everything SEEMS to work. Given, it crashed out in a audio conversion, but crash recovery picked it right up and fixed it. Also, I lowered my overclock and that seemed to fix the issues right up (stability in a normal/gaming environment is TOTALLY different then encoding...).

So, I think maybe some issues might be to do with this. Try making a 2gb partition and run the ripping/converting software off there. And lower your OC if you are OCing.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2001, 12:16   #28  |  Link
Morgan

A possible success...

Hi

As I write this I am 92% through a CCE encoding. Things are looking good, this is done, of course, on my other computer.

This was achieved by following the suggestion of the Author and reducing the Max and the Av Max bitrate within the DVD2SVCD ini file. I reduced them to 2300 and 2100.
No doubt the above settings might not be optimal but the whole purpose was to try and get a 'working model' as such.
Before it would continue to hang with the default settings and now it continues to run...

Looking through the many posts, within both the Newbie and Advanced sections, this problem does seem to occur enough for me to wonder what the definitive solution to be and not, perhaps, a 'fix' for a 'problematic' film...

Thankyou to all who have contributed here, I am sure we can continue to offer support to each other on this problem by helping both the Author, with this excellent creation, and each other to search for some commonality to this difficulty.

BTW Necro I am not overclocking at all, don't need to with a 1.4 Athlon, it is a very stable system. With 20gb on a seperate partition for the ripping/converting etc to take place.

Hcrejazz I appreciate your help but the version of CCE that I am using is the correct one for the job, to make sure I have checked this though. Hey btw I bet even Bill Gates doesn't have 10 computers at home

So to summerise the reduced settings for CCE seem to have resolved this problem on this movie but could this be considered a solution to be a fix for all movies or just one for this film. Bit of a pain that you only know that you have a problem when it is so far into the encoding...

Thanx

Morgan
Old 6th December 2001, 17:55   #29  |  Link
Necro

Well, after my 14 hour 4 pass encode, I couldnt get it to burn onto image right. I realized a bit late that I chose the wrong images for the start/change cd image, and used I-author (that I knew, but I realized I never tested it with a trailer, only vcdximager).

So, now I'm going to try a (hopefully) quick 1-2 pass w/out subs and with vcdximager and a bit lowered bitrates and see what I can get.

Though CCE does seem to be working right now .

(But I am determined to get a perfect OC'ed speed to get it running a bit faster than .4 speed)
Old 8th December 2001, 06:22   #30  |  Link
dreamline

k I am also new to this but I think it is an dvd2svcd problem.
Till yesterday I used version 1.0.3 build 5 and the multipass (5 times) went just fine. Now I installed version 1.0.4 build 2 and the moment cce has to encode the movie it crashed.. I dont even get 19 or 39 percent, i keep stuck at 0 percent... My movie isnt a WB movie, so I have to add that I dont think its WB movies that have the problem...

Anyway Ill experiment with the settings a bit and see what happens...

Right now I am encoding with max bitrate 2498 min bitrate 16xx min average 16xx and max average 1733 so that the movie fits on 2 cd's...

Ill let you guyz know what I find out..
dreamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2001, 07:04   #31  |  Link
Necro

Welp, I've been having issues with the results I'm getting from DVD2SVCD (did a 1 pass VBR, and for some reason only got 1 cd worth of stuff that was rather screwey near the end). This is once I got CCE working.

I'm attempting to learn a few other methods, but hopefully once I understand everything better (exactly what DVD2SVCD is doing), I'm going to try to understand this more.
Old 8th December 2001, 12:18   #32  |  Link
Morgan

Re: Weird stuff eh..?

Quote:
Originally posted by Necro
Welp, I've been having issues with the results I'm getting from DVD2SVCD (did a 1 pass VBR, and for some reason only got 1 cd worth of stuff that was rather screwey near the end). This is once I got CCE working.
Hi
Yes I too did a one pass encoding and got a finished movie BUT it fits onto 1 disk - not to sure how this happened, but for me adjusting the Max rate and Max Av rate helped for the one movie but not sure if it will be a permanent solution. Bad news when you have to wait for hours to see if it will work or not...

dreamline
it will be interesting to know if it works for you.

Morgan
Old 8th December 2001, 14:29   #33  |  Link
dreamline

K guyz I did try and lower the max bitrate from 2498 to 2400 and guess what it worked just like dvd2svcd said..

Yesterday I tried it with the whole movie though. This morning I tried it with 1-2 files and it crashed.. Now I am doing it again with 2 files and CCE goes through...

Oh heres the birates I set:
Max 2400 Min 1642 Max avg 1733
Min avg not set

In about 30 mins I know the result and I hope that my other problem is solved then too.

Edit: The movie was encoded succesfully unfortunately my other problem still exists.. I get crazy macro blocks when I encode the whole movie.. Im at my wits end and dont know what to do about that anymore.. I guess im gonna try to reinstall CCE to see if that works for my last problem.. Have been at it for about a week now and im getting demotivated...

Here's the thing: I am encoding a movie called 'in the shadows' and if I encode one vob everything is fine, but when I do multiple vob's I get this weird shit on everything thatt moves (looks like macroblocks), however I tried all the tutorials about everything by now and it wont solve my problem. I think the problem is CCE SP, so what I would like to know is do any of you have changed settings of CCE after installation ?? Or might it just be the movie? Im gonna try an other movie now to see if the problem still exists.. Sorry to bug you guyz here for it, but i thought since its a CCE thread.. heheheh

Last edited by dreamline; 8th December 2001 at 15:08.
dreamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2001, 16:41   #34  |  Link
Necro

Yeah morgan, the waiting hours thing is kinda getting a bit nuts. I decided to learn TMPGEnc in the meantime . (It's encoding right now). When I have the time I'm going to try DVD2SVCD again and see if I can get it working - but the time commitment is really long w/my Cel800.

I changes the bitrates too, trying to get a better encode - then stoped and set them back to default because I didnt want to screw anything up (just changing the max to 2400 to stop bitrate problems that happened in the last attempt). It seemed to ignore the CD sizes completely though.
Old 10th December 2001, 01:43   #35  |  Link
marks430

@ Necro

I noticed in your last post that you have a Cel800. Is that a Celeron 800? I thought that CCE wouldn't work with a Celeron. Could this be part of the problem?
marks430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2001, 08:52   #36  |  Link
mrbass

I believe that CCE requires SSE..so any cpu that has those instructions will work. I might be wrong though.

Celeron 800Mhz
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1393&p=1
"This core didn't improve performance noticeably, it simply added SSE support since it was essentially a Coppermine Pentium III core with half of its L2 cache disabled (256KB / 2 = 128KB)."
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2001, 17:00   #37  |  Link
Necro

The CeleronII's have SSE instructions (making them at least a bit capable). I would like to see some comparisons on movie encoding - might be interesting to see what exactly the missing cache does.

Also, it's actually a Cel566 @ 800 (overclocked). I whittled problems away - originally thinking it was that because I set it back to normal speed and installed the OS new - and found that I can do an encode perfectly fine w/TMPGEnc at that speed. Also, I figured out the problem I was having with DVD2SVCD and am going to try it again. (It was my fault I think...that and some of the programs being a bit flaky sometimes and crashing for no reason - audio especially).
Old 10th December 2001, 23:45   #38  |  Link
marks430

I've got a Celeron 900 Machine that I just put together with a new MB and Processor along with a few other used parts I had laying around. I plan on using it as a firewall for my internet service and maybe as a file server to share files on my other machines.

But, in light of this information, I'll give it a try at DVD2SVCD and see how it works. Only problem is it doesn't have the burner or DVD drive, but I can transfer the files over the network. This won't affect anything DVD2SVCD does though. Since the size of the HDD isn't big enough to do a full movie, I'll try it on a few chapters and see how it does. I'll post back once it has completed something.
Old 11th December 2001, 00:13   #39  |  Link
mrbass

daggummit...that means xbox 733Mhz most likely doesn't have SSE support so when it's hacked we can't use it for a DVD2SVCD ripping box. It's slow as molasses currently just converting .wav to .wma so it's a moot idea.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2001, 03:03   #40  |  Link
marks430

I started an encode of the first VOB file from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" using 3 pass vbr. It's about 84% done on encoding with a speed of 0.584. So far no problems, just a little slower than I'm used to.

The machine is a Celeron 900 MHz with 256 MB PC133 running Win2K. The hard drives (6 GB and 4 GB) are some that were salvaged from old PCs so I'm sure they're not very fast and they're definitely not large enough to do a full encode. But with a new drive, it could be a viable alternative if I wanted to backup a DVD and still be able to use my main computer without fear of screwing things up.