Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2018, 20:28   #61  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

To have it accept a x264 encoded stream, but maybe that isn't in UHD specs. I don't know.

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 09:15   #62  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
To have it accept a x264 encoded stream, but maybe that isn't in UHD specs. I don't know.

//LD
It is, but only at 1920x1080 @ either 23.976 or 24.0 fps, 40 Mbps max, High or Main, L 4.1 or 4.0. See page 14 of this white paper(.pdf).
A.Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 16:35   #63  |  Link
MB2

I've had success but most of the time, before I can even get it into a folder format, TSMuxer gives me this error:

Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not syncronized. Please, verify stream fps. File name: H:\Batman v Superman Dawn Of Justice (2016) (UHD) (BD100)\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts

Any ideas, suggestions or settings? All I am doing is dropping in the m2ts and creating Blu-ray folder.

The film "Hidden Figures" loses it's HDR for some reason too after running through TSm2UHD
MB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 19:09   #64  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
I've had success but most of the time, before I can even get it into a folder format, TSMuxer gives me this error:

Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not syncronized. Please, verify stream fps. File name: H:\Batman v Superman Dawn Of Justice (2016) (UHD) (BD100)\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts

Any ideas, suggestions or settings? All I am doing is dropping in the m2ts and creating Blu-ray folder.

The film "Hidden Figures" loses it's HDR for some reason too after running through TSm2UHD
Try demuxing the audio and then use the demuxed file as source in tsMuxer.

The reason it looses the HDR is discussed earlier in this thread.

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 01:29   #65  |  Link
jdobbs

I've found that sometimes an odd PGS can cause that error. Try demuxing the video and audio separately... then try each subtitle until you find the one that is the problem.
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:41   #66  |  Link
A.Fenderson

I ripped (via MakeMKV) then demuxed and remuxed (both via tsMuxeR) the main movie file of my copy of BladeRunner 2049. I did not reencode video or audio, as I wanted to make sure all streams were 100% UHD-BD compliant (though I did cut out a couple of foreign language audio tracks). The resulting BD structure was 81 GB, so I burned to a new Sony BD-RE XL 100GB disc using my new Asus BW-16D1HT at the rated maximum of 2x burn speed.

The resulting disc was not recognized as UHD-BD at all in either my LG UP870 UHD-BD player, nor my Xbox One S.

I then ran TSM2UHD on the remux from above, and reburned as above: same results on both players.

I don't have UHD-BD playback ability on my PC, as the requirements are insane, but reading from the same drive that burned it, I can play back the main-movie m2ts file, for what that's worth.

To do further testing, especially on the disc itself, I remuxed a very brief pre-movie m2ts file from a different UHD-BD title, burned it to the same BD-RE XL 100GB disc, and attempted to play it back: raw tsMuxeR output failed to be recognized by either player, as did the TSM2UHD-processed files burned later.

Realizing that the above may point to nothing other than the possibility that (my) UHD-BD players do not play nice with BD-RE XL 100GB discs, I reburned the final TSM2UHD-processed files to a BD-RE DL 50GB disc: it did play on both players, though with stuttering. This was ripped from a 66GB UHD-BD, and the Xbox showed spikes of 100 Mbps, so that is not surprising.

Anyway, I don't yet have any (non rewriteable) BD-R XL 100GB discs to test with, those these may (hopefully will) be readable in my players (and all players generally). I am unaware of any UHD-BDs that have been pressed to 50GB discs, and I am still unsure of how to get 100% UHD-BD compliance when reencoding video, so for now I'm at an impasse as regards contributing to testing.

If anyone is aware of any available UHD-BD releases on 50 GB discs, please let me know.

Last edited by A.Fenderson; 22nd January 2018 at 06:49.
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:52   #67  |  Link
MB2

Hi,

BD50 UHD's

Alien Covenant
Hidden Figures
Boss Baby, The
Captain Underpants - The First Epic Movie
Despicable Me 1 and 2
Lego Batman Movie
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Prometheus
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Underworld 5 - Blood Wars
Dark Tower, The
Emoji Movie, The
Fantastic 4 (2015)
Hitman - Agent 47
Keeping Up With The Joneses
Lego Movie, The
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
Peanuts Movie, The
Rough Night
Trolls
Wild
Lego Ninjago Movie, The
Morgan
Sausage Party

Also, BD-RE XL do not work in my Oppo 203 either. BD-R XL do. I sent them some test copies and they updated their firmware.

Old 22nd January 2018, 09:17   #68  |  Link
A.Fenderson

I spot-checked a few of those titles against the blu-ray.com and highdefdigest.com listings, and all were stated to be 66GB discs. Where did see them stated to be 50 GB discs?

I did order a 5-pack of BD-R XL 100 GB discs for testing.
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:39   #69  |  Link
MB2

I have all those, and they all fit on BD50, untouched with menus etc

Not sure if they actually were on a BD66 as such, but file size is defo under 50gb

Old 22nd January 2018, 14:54   #70  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fenderson View Post
I ripped (via MakeMKV) then demuxed and remuxed (both via tsMuxeR) the main movie file of my copy of BladeRunner 2049. I did not reencode video or audio, as I wanted to make sure all streams were 100% UHD-BD compliant (though I did cut out a couple of foreign language audio tracks). The resulting BD structure was 81 GB, so I burned to a new Sony BD-RE XL 100GB disc using my new Asus BW-16D1HT at the rated maximum of 2x burn speed.

The resulting disc was not recognized as UHD-BD at all in either my LG UP870 UHD-BD player, nor my Xbox One S.

I then ran TSM2UHD on the remux from above, and reburned as above: same results on both players.

I don't have UHD-BD playback ability on my PC, as the requirements are insane, but reading from the same drive that burned it, I can play back the main-movie m2ts file, for what that's worth.

To do further testing, especially on the disc itself, I remuxed a very brief pre-movie m2ts file from a different UHD-BD title, burned it to the same BD-RE XL 100GB disc, and attempted to play it back: raw tsMuxeR output failed to be recognized by either player, as did the TSM2UHD-processed files burned later.

Realizing that the above may point to nothing other than the possibility that (my) UHD-BD players do not play nice with BD-RE XL 100GB discs, I reburned the final TSM2UHD-processed files to a BD-RE DL 50GB disc: it did play on both players, though with stuttering. This was ripped from a 66GB UHD-BD, and the Xbox showed spikes of 100 Mbps, so that is not surprising.

Anyway, I don't yet have any (non rewriteable) BD-R XL 100GB discs to test with, those these may (hopefully will) be readable in my players (and all players generally). I am unaware of any UHD-BDs that have been pressed to 50GB discs, and I am still unsure of how to get 100% UHD-BD compliance when reencoding video, so for now I'm at an impasse as regards contributing to testing.

If anyone is aware of any available UHD-BD releases on 50 GB discs, please let me know.
I also have a BD-XL burner... and could never get my UHD-BD player to recognize it. There's something different in the format, I just don't know what it is. The stuttering is almost certainly caused by the excessive bitrate of the original. As I've said before, I have yet to find anything other than a few extras that would play back properly without reencoding due to bitrate.
Old 22nd January 2018, 18:18   #71  |  Link
geheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
As I've said before, I have yet to find anything other than a few extras that would play back properly without reencoding due to bitrate.
I've remuxed Rise of the Planet of the Apes with DVDFab on BD50. No reencoding was done and playback works just fine on my x800. Perhaps you could try that movie for testing purposes.
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 03:18   #72  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geheim View Post
I've remuxed Rise of the Planet of the Apes with DVDFab on BD50. No reencoding was done and playback works just fine on my x800. Perhaps you could try that movie for testing purposes.
Interesting...
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:00   #73  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Isn't it possible though, that the encode or overall stream bitrate exceeds UHD50 specs, but that particular player is able to spin the disc higher than spec in an attempt to keep up?
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:14   #74  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fenderson View Post
Isn't it possible though, that the encode or overall stream bitrate exceeds UHD50 specs, but that particular player is able to spin the disc higher than spec in an attempt to keep up?
Except... it is the same player I have, and none of the ones I've tried worked.

@geheim

Did DVDFab mux in an ATMOS track with it?
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:42   #75  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Quote:
Except... it is the same player I have, and none of the ones I've tried worked.
Gotcha. Well, be it known that the title in question is part of Amazon's 4K UHD Value Promotion, meaning it can be had for $16.66 if you're willing to buy two other titles on the list at the same time. Please note all the fine-print at the bottom of the page, however, and also know that you can only use the offer once per account: I've placed one order and attempted a second, but no discount, and when I chatted customer service they quoted me invisible rules that amount to "one offer per customer" though it's not stated on the page.
Old 23rd January 2018, 21:31   #76  |  Link
rtosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflop View Post
Did you find out something with the samples I sent you (No Picture on UB 900)?

wolflop
Same player, same result... No picture, only audio on the Panasonic UB900. It seems we're out of luck.
Thanks for your work jdobbs though!

Roberto
rtosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 18:57   #77  |  Link
jdobbs

Anyone:

I've found another extension related to UHD-BD. It is in the index.bdmv file and is identified by ID1=3, ID2=1. Does anyone have any idea what this extension contains?

As for the extension found in the MPLS file, I thought I'd share that after dumping it out and some investigating, it contains the HDR information for the playlist. It is represented by ID1=3, ID2=5 and holds the HDR specifics including: G, B, R and white point (WP) x/y pairs in units of 0.00002. The Luma (L) min (in units of .0001) and max (as a whole number), the maximum content light level (MaxCLL) and the maximum frame average light level (MaxFALL).

The G,B,R,WP information has been consistent with Display P3 in every example I've seen (where HDR is present).

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th January 2018 at 19:04.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 19:06   #78  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post

//LD
Importing it into a pseudo-BD is fine... but if it is UHD it will have to be reencoded to HEVC before attempting to burn to a BD.
Old 24th January 2018, 21:50   #79  |  Link
ocean

Quote:
Anyone:

I've found another extension related to UHD-BD. It is in the index.bdmv file and is identified by ID1=3, ID2=1. Does anyone have any idea what this extension contains?
Thanks for information, file index.bdmv "Extension data":

"ExtensionData": [
{
"ID1": 3,
"ID2": 1,
"data_block": [
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 01:50   #80  |  Link
jdobbs

I have some good news. The extension (see the reply above from ocean) to the index.bdmv has fixed some issues.

The comments I'd made earlier about always having to reencode because of bitrates doesn't seem to apply now. I've taken several original streams and muxed them directly without reencoding and they appear to work fine when burned to a BD-50 (both RE and R). The cause of the stuttering was apparently caused by the lack of the index.bdmv extension providing the player some needed information.

My thanks to ocean and geheim for helping close another gap on the backup capability of UHD-BD.

I'll release a new version of TSM2UHD with this and a couple other fixes in day or two.

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th January 2018 at 01:53.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote