Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 20th March 2004, 02:21   #81  |  Link
lordkinbote

That helps me understand a bit more. Some things take a little bit of time to sink in with me. It becomes clearer every day.
lordkinbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2004, 08:42   #82  |  Link
bobwillis

Hi r6d2,

I have noticed a few occasions where "FACARDetectBorders" has determined that the left hand side of the frame is 2. However, I can see (in the preview window), picture information to the left of the vertical white line in pixels 0 & 1. This is no big deal (2 pixels), but I thought I'd let you know about it.

Regards,
Bob
bobwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2004, 12:26   #83  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by bobwillis
This is no big deal (2 pixels), but I thought I'd let you know about it.
I've seen this from time to time. It has something to do with interlaced frames I think. However, width errors are completely irrelevant since the sides cropping is done based on the overscan setting. Don't worry.

If you experience top and bottom errors, you may want to play with the threshold parameter of "FACAR Detect Borders", but then again, width detection it is not really relevant to the output script.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2004, 23:40   #84  |  Link
homerjay

hi there have just had to reinstall dvd2svcd etc and noticed an error i didnt use to have in version 1067 as below ( i think i originally installed it to a subfolder of itself so was always using the previous version )

i dont know what "destinationtop" means
e:\dvd2svcd\avisynth2.5 Plugins\Facar\FACAR.avs, line 136

have searched the FACAR.avs file and dont see any other reference to it other than line 136

could you please point me to what im sure is an obvious oversite by me

thanks

edit - knew it was an oversite the FACAR folder and a new avisynth.ini it merged with the original and now all sorted

Last edited by homerjay; 26th April 2004 at 22:04.
homerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 01:06   #85  |  Link
jorel

r6d2,
i don't use tweak. have a way to remove that filter from FACAR? i know that using the defaults in tweak don't change the image but(i think) that if the filter can be removed from the script maybe it can run faster...or is my mistake? it's a newby question of course but i have my doubts.

in the FACAR readme explain about GammaCorrection. is used the built in dvd2avi or the levels from avisynth?...and why GammaCorretion is in 1.0 if the default is 0.0?

i like to use "kiss" filter like that in d2s:
undot()
lanczosresize(.....)
deen()
using "kiss" in FACAR,where i put this filters using the same sequence like i posted? means undot before resize and deen after resize.
thanks in advance!
Old 12th June 2004, 02:03   #86  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by jorel
i don't use tweak. have a way to remove that filter from FACAR?
I don't think that eliminating that script line will improve speed. Anyway, you're welcome to try. Just open FACAR.avs and comment out this line:
Code:
((Hue <> 0) [...]) ? Tweak(Hue, Saturation, Brightness, Contrast) : NOP()
by prepending a '#'.
Quote:
in the FACAR readme explain about GammaCorrection. is used the built in dvd2avi or the levels from avisynth?...and why GammaCorretion is in 1.0 if the default is 0.0?
AviSynth, and actually the default behaviour of the Levels functions is to do nothing if GammaCorrection is 1, not 0. You can check that here. In other words, don't worry. Levels will only be invoked if you change the GammaCorrection value to other thing than 1.0
Quote:
i like to use "kiss" filter like that in d2s:
undot()
lanczosresize(.....)
deen()
Put Undot() in Preresize.avs and Deen() in Postresize.avs. Then just make sure both lines are uncommented in DVD2SVCD AviSynth script editor.

It is likely that Debug mode won't work if you do this though, but in normal operation it should. Please report back if it doesn't.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
Old 12th June 2004, 02:18   #87  |  Link
jorel

i will report all after tests include the comment in tweak if it turn the script faster.
very clear, thanks for all explanations, recomendations and hints!
Old 12th June 2004, 05:40   #88  |  Link
jorel

r6d2,
like you "preview", don't have differences in quality or time to encode using the " # " eliminating tweak from the script in my sample test ( ~ 01minutes:22seconds vob),...just the same with or without tweak(in default values,of course)!
using Undot() in Preresize.avs and Deen() in Postresize.avs worked like a charm....and forgive my "old" question cos i read the FACAR readme "too fast" and without atention(sorry)before ask you and there is very clear about "<iii>. Additional filtering" and with details about kiss "filter".everything is clear in the readme.
thank you very much r6d2, FACAR stills "turbo"!
Old 14th June 2004, 17:53   #89  |  Link
Monkeychops

I've been using FACAR for a couple of encodes and it seems to save me bitrate, but at the risk of sounding stupid, can I ask a couple of questions?

1) My understanding from reading the script is FACAR works out what area of the frame you won't see by examining the overscan. It then chops this portion off and adds a border to keep proper frame size. Correct?

2) If 1) is true, is the advantage on a full height movie coming only from chopping the unseen parts off (no visible borders)?

3) I was interested in seeing just how much of the frame is lost when viewing on TV, but FACAR shows what will be encoded post cropping and overlaying additional lost area to overscan so it's hard to judge what is missing.

I've played with the script a little and come up with the following:

Targetpre = AddBorders(1, 1, 1, 1).bilinearresize(DestinationWidth,DestinationHeight)

# --(r6d2)-- Calculate BlocksToCrop based on Overscan parameters.

# --(r6d2)-- Add the overscan overlay to the given clip in transparency mode
# (Target clip must already be properly cropped, resized and bordered.)
DebugTarget = ConvertToRGB32(Targetpre) # use RBG32 for Layer()

[Additions / changes from original script in RED/ BLACK text shows relative position]

Does this do what I want it to do; ie take the original clip and overlay a border showing everything that will be lost?

Forgive me if it doesn't but I don't know much about Avisynth, but like understand the whole process
Monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 18:33   #90  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Well, sort of. But it should be easier than that. What FACAR does is to take Overscan percentages as input parameters and crop out the unseen area, thus saving the BR that it would take to encode the whole original picture frame.

If you would like to see how much is being cropped, use Debug mode (set it to 3, for example) and an overlay margin in blue will be shown along with the cropped picture. Currently there is no way to see how much will be cropped together with the original (uncropped) picture, but it sounds like a good idea. I cannot test you your modifications now but I'll look at them later to see if they add the desired effect.
Old 14th June 2004, 21:23   #91  |  Link
Monkeychops

Thanks for the reply.

No sweat on checking my alterations; for my own amusement as anything else.
Monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 23:12   #92  |  Link
jorel

r6d2,please,take a look in this pictures:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/675...doverscan1.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/384...doverscan3.jpg
see that the first picture using fitcd overscan1,show the same as the second picture form fitcd overscan3...same details within the borders without loose parts of the scenes(pictures)
now see that using Facar:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9291/facar1.jpg
see that i'm loosing part of the picture within the borders(the chickens on the left and in the right are loose).what can i do to get the same as from fitcd overscan3 in Facar without loose part of the picture within the borders?
thanks in advance!
Old 15th June 2004, 02:37   #93  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by jorel
what can i do to get the same as from fitcd overscan3 in Facar without loose part of the picture within the borders?
Well, my friend, you are missing the whole point of using FACAR. If you want to keep all the source pixel, you have to use FitCD Overscan 3 (or whatever value suits you).

FACAR is useful if you want to encode in "As seen on TV" mode.
Old 15th June 2004, 03:28   #94  |  Link
jorel

is true .
and see my point of view r6d2. what i gain in the right/left using fitcd overscan(1,2 or 3)i loose in the top bottom. compare the size of the top bottom of Facar...have less black bordes and with fitcd overscan have more in top bottom. means that with overscan i don't get real gain and the right/left from Facar the tv(4:3) don't show....resuming my "explanation":

fitcd overscan ---> less black borders in right/left(that are invisible in tv,then are irrelevants) from fitcd overscan and true loose in top/bottom(too big black borders)
you loose more in top/bottom than gain in left/right.

FACAR ---> less black borders in top/bottom with facar(the real gain)and "invisibles" left/right borders in tv!

ps: in the end what someone can think or feel as "loose" using Facar is the "true gain"!
that pictures are some more prooves,only need atention in all details!
i was clear?
big thanks!

edited>
r6d2, my good conclusion and personal taste about your great job is posted in the last post of that page and in the first 2 posts in the next page (more will be posted later): http://kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...er=asc&start=0
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:39   #95  |  Link
manolito

New Resizers added

Anyone still using FACAR? I certainly do for my AVI2DVD conversions. Very convenient for cropping off station logos and playing with different filters and resizers.

AviSynth 2.56 introduced two new resizers: GaussResize and SplineResize. A sharper version of LanczosResize (called Lanczos4Resize) is also included. So I decided to modify FACAR to support Lanczos4Resize and Spline36Resize. If anyone is interested, you can download the modded version at
http://scifi.pages.at/manolito/FACAR...ate_1.06.8.zip
ResizeMethod=6 is Lanczos4Resize, ResizeMode=7 is Spline36Resize. The debug modes for previewing the different resizers are also modified to display 6 resizers now instead of 4.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 23rd June 2006 at 14:43.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 20:38   #96  |  Link
homerjay

im still using it for the very same purpose

is there any significant improvement ?
Old 10th July 2006, 22:33   #97  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay
is there any significant improvement ?
You have to play with the new resizers to find out if the improvements they offer are "significant" for you or not. For my purposes LanczosResize is all I need, but Lanczos4 and Spline36 certainly have their merits. I did not change anything in FACAR itself, I just added the new resizers.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote