Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 17th January 2010, 16:27   #1  |  Link
chefelf

Recent Audio Ripping Issues (Harry Potter & Anvil)

Hi, All. I've been using AutoGK to rip for a while and had very good luck. Normally I rip to the HDD with DVD Decrypter then convert to AVI using AugoGK.

A couple of recent movies have not worked. "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" comes out with excellent video but horrible choppy sound. "Anvil" has produced video that's out of sync in the main movie (yet the special features seemed to have ripped perfectly).

The only suggestions I could find doing searches were to use different programs to rip the DVD initially. I tried with DVD Fab and I got the same results.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
chefelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 19:00   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Try using something a bit less automated than AutoGK. Here's what I would do to isolate the problem:

1) Rip with DVD Decrypter on top of AnyDVD HD to defeat newer copy protections; if you don't already own AnyDVD, then rip just the main movie with DVDFab.
2) Index the main movie VOBs with DGIndex, from VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_01_X.VOB (leaving out VTS_01_0.VOB, which is a menu). Make sure "demux all tracks" is set under audio, and if I recall correctly Anvil is probably >95% soft telecined film so you should use "Force Film" as your field operation.
3) Make a very simple Avisynth script:

Code:
video = MPEG2Source("C:\path\to\my\project.d2v")
audio = NicAC3Source("C:\path\to\my\audio.ac3")
AudioDub(video,audio)
# Set the numerical value below from the input audio file's name
# For example -16ms in the filename would mean you should use
# DelayAudio(-0.016).  If the filename delay is zero, then just
# delete the DelayAudio line entirely.
DelayAudio(-0.XXX)
Now save it wherever and open it in MPC or WMP (make sure you have a YV12 decoder, such as the one you can enable from within ffdshow, installed). If the audio sync is OK here, then it's getting messed up within your audio transcoding workflow and you should file an AutoGK bug report. If it's out of sync here, then something is weird with the DVD (because both Avisynth and DGIndex/DGMPGDec are used at least thousands of times a day and known to be reliable). If you notice a lot of black frames in DGIndex right at the beginning of the main movie, you may want to chop off the first GOP(s) using the right arrow key to move further into the movie and clicking the left bracket button to cut it there. DGIndex will automatically start both your project and the audio demuxing from that point, so don't worry about fouling up the audio delay that way. If there's still some additional weirdness, let us know the version (NTSC or PAL, "Special Edition" or whatever or not, etc.) of the Harry Potter DVD and I'll try pull it into my Netflix queue and look for any oddities on the actual disc. Hope for a quick resolution

Last edited by Inspector.Gadget; 17th January 2010 at 19:05.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote