Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 2nd October 2010, 14:53   #10581  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

i have testet the same file with eac3to 3.22 and it works fine.

the same problem happened with ac3 files but with 3.22 all fine.

i have winxp32bit sp3. arcsoftdecoder 1.1.0.0

Last edited by hubblec4; 2nd October 2010 at 15:12.
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:53   #10582  |  Link
SoleBastard

Hi Madshi,
Thanks again for your great program!

As eac3to doesn't support merging FLAC files (yet) I tried doing it using Foobar2000 and flac.exe 1.2.1. However, when the merged file reaches 2.00GB the encoding stops with an error. I asked about this in the Foobar2000 forum (see this thread) and it seems to be a specific limitation of the Windows FLAC build. However you manage to create FLAC files with eac3to in Windows that are >2GB just fine. How is that possible?
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:47   #10583  |  Link
TinTime

You could always convert to a .w64 file with foobar and then convert that to FLAC with eac3to. Not completely ideal but it's a workaround.
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:06   #10584  |  Link
SoleBastard

Yep, I figured that out and doing the conversion at the moment

So yeah, this work-around is okay for me because I don't need to do these kind of merges that often. I was just curious how Madshi was able to implement encoding >2GB flac files
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:57   #10585  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleBastard View Post
Yep, I figured that out and doing the conversion at the moment
Sorry, I see now that I replied to something you didn't ask and ignored what you did ask

Anyway, from your link it looks like an i/o limitation in flac.exe, so that's why eac3to is ok - it handles i/o itself and uses libflac to encode.
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:40   #10586  |  Link
deathlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Often there's a "play all" playlist. It usually lists the episodes in the right order.
This is a very helpful hint, thanks a lot!
I have found it to work on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dexter.
Old 4th October 2010, 17:37   #10587  |  Link
Groucho2004

Would it be possible to add an option to normalize to a certain level?
As far as I know, eac3to only normalizes to 0 dB. I always like to leave a little headroom for further conversions so that would be nice.

Possibly something like "-normalize -2dB".
Old 4th October 2010, 19:24   #10588  |  Link
SoleBastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
Anyway, from your link it looks like an i/o limitation in flac.exe, so that's why eac3to is ok - it handles i/o itself and uses libflac to encode.
Ah right, that makes sense.

A kind HA.org user modified the flac.exe to work with large input files and I find it to work perfectly with my FLACs! See the thread I linked to earlier.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:59   #10589  |  Link
deathlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Would it be possible to add an option to normalize to a certain level?
As far as I know, eac3to only normalizes to 0 dB. I always like to leave a little headroom for further conversions so that would be nice.

Possibly something like "-normalize -2dB".
You can certainly do "-2dB" (see first post). I don't know what happens if eac3to has to normalize, too. You can try it out or you can simply do two passes.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:26   #10590  |  Link
b66pak

Quote:
"-normalize -2dB"
this don't work (the -2dB part)

you must do:
Code:
eac3to audio.xxx normalized_audio.wav -normalize
eac3to normalized_audio.wav final-2dB_audio.wav -2dB
_
Old 4th October 2010, 21:22   #10591  |  Link
shh

Fragmentation!

Is there any way to prevent the massive file fragmentation in conjunction with eac3to?

I understand, that this is an issue of the (sometimes) unknown size of handled streams, but the count of segments of some of eac3to's files is just insane.

Suggestions:
- reserving file space for separate streams what can safely cover the size of a (sub)stream, later crop filesize to the real size of the stream.
- command line option: "just reserve +100MB per stream"
- ...?
Old 4th October 2010, 21:28   #10592  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
this don't work (the -2dB part)

you must do:
Code:
eac3to audio.xxx normalized_audio.wav -normalize
eac3to normalized_audio.wav final-2dB_audio.wav -2dB
_
Sigh.

Yes, that's what I've been doing so far. However, I was asking if this feature could added so I don't have to do 2 passes (actually 3 passes, because the "normalize" function already needs 2 passes).
Old 5th October 2010, 16:19   #10593  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

I'm getting this error message when encoding an audio stream:
Code:
eac3to v3.24
command line: eac3to  eng.ac3 eng_new.ac3 -384 -normalize
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC3, 5.0 channels, 1:33:59, 384kbps, 48kHz
The Nero decoder doesn't seem to work, will use libav instead.
Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
Remapping channels...
Writing WAV...
Creating file "eng_25p.ac3.pass1.wav"...
Caution: The WAV file is bigger than 4GB.  <WARNING>
Some WAV readers might not be able to handle this file correctly.  <WARNING>
Starting 2nd pass...
Reading WAV...
The AC3 encoder received a non-supported data format (float, 5, 64, -).  <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 262144.  <ERROR>
Creating the wav file works, but as soon as I start the ac3 encoder it aborts with a similar error message:
Code:
eac3to v3.24
command line: eac3to  eng_new.wav eng_new.ac3 -384
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WAV, 5.0 channels, 1:33:59, 24 bits, 5760kbps, 48kHz
Reading WAV...
The AC3 encoder received a non-supported data format (pcm, 5, 24, -).  <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 262144.  <ERROR>
Source is from an HDTV recording.
Old 5th October 2010, 20:59   #10594  |  Link
Snowknight26

Search the thread for the 2nd to last line's error. It's been answered many times.

Think Aften.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:36   #10595  |  Link
icon

dts to ac3 script

Does anyone have a .bat/.reg file that would allow me to right click on a .mkv file and have it call a .bat file to automatically convert dts to ac3? I don't want to use a gui.

If not can anyone help me with creating a bat file that I run to convert dts to ac3?

Thanks.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:43   #10596  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon View Post
Does anyone have a .bat/.reg file that would allow me to right click on a .mkv file and have it call a .bat file to automatically convert dts to ac3? I don't want to use a gui.

If not can anyone help me with creating a bat file that I run to convert dts to ac3?

Thanks.
Why not just use the cmd? At bat file wouldn't work for all instances since the track number of the dts is a variable. Well you could use mediainfo cmd to determine the track number for the dts and use that in the bat file but that would be more work than using eac3to cmd.

eac3to input.mkv track: output.ac3

If you must use a bat file here is a quick and dirty. It only works with mkv, single audio track, and doesn't allow for additional options. Hence the reason why using the cmd is a better approach.

Code:
@SET MediaInfo_PATH=C:\Program Files\MediaInfo\CLI\MediaInfo.exe
@SET eac3to_PATH=C:\Program Files\eac3to\eac3to.exe
@SET Working_Directory=C:\Personal\Videos

@Echo off
Echo.
Echo.
Echo\***************   Input   ****************
Echo.
Echo.
set /p    INPUT_VIDEO="Path to Source: "
Echo.
Echo.
Echo\******************************************
Echo.

Echo General;%%FileName%%>"%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfilename.txt"
"%MediaInfo_PATH%" --Inform=file://"%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfilename.txt" "%INPUT_VIDEO%">"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfilename.txt"
Echo General;%%FolderName%%>"%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfoldername.txt"
"%MediaInfo_PATH%" --Inform=file://"%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfoldername.txt" "%INPUT_VIDEO%">"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfoldername.txt"
Echo General;%%FileExtension%%>"%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfileextension.txt"
"%MediaInfo_PATH%" --Inform=file://"%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfileextension.txt" "%INPUT_VIDEO%">"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfileextension.txt"
type "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfilename.txt">"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfilename.tmp"
type "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfoldername.txt">"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfoldername.tmp"
type "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfileextension.txt">"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfileextension.tmp"
set /p    SOURCE_FILENAME=<"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfilename.tmp"
set /p    SOURCE_FOLDER=<"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfoldername.tmp"
set /p    SOURCE_EXTENSION=<"%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfileextension.tmp"

DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfilename.txt"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfilename.txt"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfilename.tmp"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfoldername.txt"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfoldername.txt"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfoldername.tmp"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-generalfileextension.txt"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfileextension.txt"
DEL "%Working_Directory%\temporary-analyzegeneralfileextension.tmp"

if "%SOURCE_EXTENSION%" EQU "mkv" goto process

Echo.
Echo.Source file is not MKV !
Echo.
Echo.
goto end

:process
Echo Audio;%%ID%%>"%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-audid.txt"
"%MediaInfo_PATH%" --Inform=file://"%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-audid.txt" "%INPUT_VIDEO%">"%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-analyzeaudid.txt"
type "%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-analyzeaudid.txt">"%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-analyzeaudid.tmp"
set /p    ID=<"%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-analyzeaudid.tmp"

DEL "%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-audid.txt"
DEL "%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-analyzeaudid.txt"
DEL "%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-analyzeaudid.tmp"

@Echo on
"%eac3to_PATH%" "%INPUT_VIDEO%" %ID%: "%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%.ac3" >"%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-eac3to.txt"
@Echo off

DEL "%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME%-eac3to.txt"
DEL "%SOURCE_FOLDER%\%SOURCE_FILENAME% - Log.txt"

Echo.
Echo.
Echo.Finished !
Echo.
Echo.
:end
Pause

Last edited by rack04; 6th October 2010 at 17:19.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:01   #10597  |  Link
icon

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that my mkv files only have (1) dts track and I don't use any options. I use cmd: eac3to input.mkv input.ac3
I'll take a look at the script you posted to see if I can make sense of it. Thanks again.

Ideally, I wanted to right click on a mkv file from the context menu, pass that file to a bat script to automagically create the ac3 output. I do a lot of ripping and converting. This cmd part is getting a little old. Just must be getting lazy.

Edit: I agree, that if I have to type the source input in everytime, then it doesn't make much since to use a bat file. I was hoping I could run it and it would locate all the 'mkv files I have and spit out ac3 files with the same input name and the mkv. Maybe I am asking for too much. I can't believe no one else has a need for this though.

If only I could use wildcards: eac3to *.mkv *.ac3
something like that

Last edited by icon; 6th October 2010 at 18:18.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:25   #10598  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon View Post
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that my mkv files only have (1) dts track and I don't use any options. I use cmd: eac3to input.mkv input.ac3
I'll take a look at the script you posted to see if I can make sense of it. Thanks again.

Ideally, I wanted to right click on a mkv file from the context menu, pass that file to a bat script to automagically create the ac3 output. I do a lot of ripping and converting. This cmd part is getting a little old. Just must be getting lazy.

Edit: I agree, that if I have to type the source input in everytime, then it doesn't make much since to use a bat file. I was hoping I could run it and it would locate all the 'mkv files I have and spit out ac3 files with the same input name and the mkv. Maybe I am asking for too much. I can't believe no one else has a need for this though.

If only I could use wildcards: eac3to *.mkv *.ac3
something like that
I think the reason most people don't need something like that is because if they needed ac3 then they would have converted the audio to ac3 before muxing to mkv. Not after the fact.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:53   #10599  |  Link
icon

I see. I use handbrake to do a lot of my encodings. It keeps the dts but does not convert to ac3. It seems that I need to run my encodes through mkmerge anyhow for proper playback on my video boxes. I did find an old script in this thread from Snowkight26, that I was able to modify for my needs. Thanks again for the help.
Old 7th October 2010, 00:23   #10600  |  Link
icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Assuming there is only 1 video and 1 DTS track:

Code:
for /f "delims=;" %%a in ('dir *.mkv /b /s') do {
	eac3to %%a 1: %%a.video.mkv 2: %%a.ac3
	mkvmerge -o %%a.DTS.mkv  --language 1:eng --default-track 1:yes -d 1 -A -S %%a.video.mkv -a 0 -D -S %%a.ac3 --track-order 0:1,1:0
	del %%a.video.mkv
	del %%a.ac3
}
pause
Something like that at least.
I modified this script to just convert dts from a mkv to ac3. I had to use quotes and change { } to ( ). Now I am trying to figure out how the mkvmerge portion of the script works. I seem to be having a problem with it. Can anyone help me out. It's a very powerful script at least for my needs.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to