Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 3rd June 2008, 15:44   #1081  |  Link
Renzz

Hi Neuron - I wonder if you might take a look at another sample TS from the new ITV HD channel - sample can be downloaded here.

I'm getting some odd effects when I try to deinterlace it (strange blockiness around moving edges). I have a feeling dgavcindex isn't handling it too well, resulting in a messed up DGA file.

If it's not dgavcindex that's at fault, can anyone suggest a good way to deinterlace this?

(I should point out that the new ITV HD channel, although broadcasting FTA, is using some sort of non-standard encoding so that only a certain type of satellite receiver can pick it up).
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:39   #1082  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzz View Post
(I should point out that the new ITV HD channel, although broadcasting FTA, is using some sort of non-standard encoding so that only a certain type of satellite receiver can pick it up).
May I ask where have you read this?

Cheers
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:45   #1083  |  Link

It's a known problem with libavcodec. Demux the AVC video (you can use DGAVCIndex) and then open it with DirectShowSource().
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:47   #1084  |  Link
Renzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
May I ask where have you read this?

Cheers
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...2#post23341243

although it's a bit speculative, it seems the only receivers that can pick this up easily are Freesat ones. It is possible on various other FTA receivers but requires more work, since a simple transponder scan will not pick the channel up (it gets identified as a data service with no video PID). As it's being publicised as "Freesat-exclusive" the thinking is that this type of encoding is a way of achieving this.
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:08   #1085  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzz View Post
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...2#post23341243

although it's a bit speculative, it seems the only receivers that can pick this up easily are Freesat ones. It is possible on various other FTA receivers but requires more work, since a simple transponder scan will not pick the channel up (it gets identified as a data service with no video PID). As it's being publicised as "Freesat-exclusive" the thinking is that this type of encoding is a way of achieving this.
Some of those guys over on DigitalSpy must be having a laugh...

MediaPlayer Classic with FFdshow can play the ITV-HD sample (although my 1-core 2.8Ghz P4 is not fast enough to play it at full frame rate) and displays the samples attributes correctly, i.e: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1440x1088 [Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 256Kbps [Audio].

DGAVCIndex reports a whole load of stuff on various PIDs that may or may not be active in the transport stream.

Also, after running the ITV-HD sample thru' TSremux, my Ziova CS615 (pre-release sample unit) had no trouble playing it in hardware.

Anyway, until ITV-HD officially launches they can use what-ever PID's they like during their test transmission phase!

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 3rd June 2008 at 19:11.
Old 8th June 2008, 00:50   #1086  |  Link
j7n

I apologize if this trouble has been discussed before. This thread is 27 pages long.

I have a problem with an H.264 elementary stream. It plays longer than is indicated by DGAVCIndex and the very end (6 seconds out of two hours) is cut off. This was discovered only after encoding with x264. When seeking to the end, the last frames display properly. Problem only occurs when playing through a significant portion of the file, or maybe the entire file.

I had to make this AVS script to encode the entire file:
Quote:
raw = AVCSource("The_Fifth_Element_-_Remastered.dga", deblock=true)
raw = crop(raw,4,148,-4,-144)
raw = LanczosResize(raw,1280,528)
endraw = trim(raw,180800,0)
end = trim(endraw,14,0)
raw + end
I can't think of a way to show this in action. Obviously it's impossible to upload the whole two hours of video. (Possible but probably not worth it.)

Last edited by j7n; 8th June 2008 at 03:23. Reason: grammar
Old 8th June 2008, 01:03   #1087  |  Link

Please post a link to the DGA file or attach it.
Old 8th June 2008, 03:25   #1088  |  Link
j7n

http://j7n.sytes.net/temp/The_Fifth_...stered.dga.rar
Old 8th June 2008, 14:02   #1089  |  Link

Counting FRM in the DGA gives 180967 frames.

I don't understand what you are doing with the trims in your script.

First, you set endraw to include the last 167 frames. Then you set end to include the last 14 frames of endraw. You could have done that in one operation. Then you concatenate the original file with the last 14 frames. Why are you doing all this?

Please make a DGA file for the encoded x264 file and post that. If the frame count is correct, then it is a player issue.
Old 9th June 2008, 01:47   #1090  |  Link
j7n

If multiplexed together with unmodified audio, both streams are possibly off by no more than 100ms at the start of credits – not by 5-6 seconds as might be expected if there were doubled frames.

I demuxed the file transcoded from this AVS with mkvextract. DirectShowSource("x264output.mkv") with Haali splitter and ffdshow tells that there are 181122 frames [2:05:54]. However AVCSource("x264output_demuxed.dga") says there are only 180752 frames [2:05:38].

Quote:
I don't understand what you are doing with the trims in your script.
Seeking with DGAVCIndex in the original *.264 produces artifacts. Now that I think about it several trim()s would probably not made a difference. But the result was perfect, so I left it that way.
Old 9th June 2008, 02:30   #1091  |  Link

You didn't tell me what the trims and concatenation are for.

I'm not clear on what problem you are reporting. DGAVCDec gets less frames than DirectShow? You get artifacts when decoding a stream? Both?

Can you demonstrate the problem with a smaller stream that you can give me? If not, it's going to be difficult to do anything for you, unless you want to mail it to me.

Last edited by Guest; 9th June 2008 at 02:33.
Old 9th June 2008, 03:17   #1092  |  Link
j7n

Quote:
You didn't tell me what the trims and concatenation are for.
When playing the whole stream with AVCSource() in one shot, I get slightly less frames than there actually are. It is possible to recover and use the lost frames using trim().

Double trimming was indeed pointless. Articacts only appear when seeking backwards.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:26   #1093  |  Link

I can't help you without any streams.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:12   #1094  |  Link
G_M_C

Hi Neuron2,

As you might know, i've been a long-time user of DGAVCDec (since the first Alpha as a matter of fact). I just drop in now and then to thank you for your effords, and for your work; Just as i do now.

But we've been on alpha's a long time now, and alpha 23 seems to "be around" longer than other, previous, versions. And i wonder if this time between updates is because you are planning a new update, and if the "beta-stage" is allready in sight ....

Last edited by G_M_C; 10th June 2008 at 15:21.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:22   #1095  |  Link

I was working on DGMPGDec 1.5.0. Now I'm taking a little rest before doing another spurt on DGAVCDec. I have less time nowadays due to lifestyle developments.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:39   #1096  |  Link
audyovydeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
have less time nowadays due to lifestyle developments.
<trivia>

"One small lifestyle development for one man, one giant loss for the AVC community"

</trivia>
Old 10th June 2008, 13:55   #1097  |  Link

It's not so small.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:22   #1098  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
It's not so small.
Might not be small but it is aparently ... Can we/shall we congratulate you on anything maybe ?
Old 10th June 2008, 16:15   #1099  |  Link

Not small but not quite that big! But thank you.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:57   #1100  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannjunior View Post
i'm doing a test and i'm simulating an "avc-intra" compression.
So, to get it, i managed megui to have GOP=1 and minimum i-frame interval to 1, to be sure to have only I-frame encode.

Since i'm calculating some sessions of SSIM and PSNR, i used DGAVC to prepare the comparison script.
but i've noticed that dgavc sees only one frame of my clip. (i tried to play it in mpc and it is ok).
i hope to have explained myself...

pls let me know if there is a solution.
I have a fix for this and will post it this evening. Thank you for pointing this out. My code for detecting a new picture was missing a clause.
Closed Thread