Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 6th February 2006, 09:30   #441  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
(CE-Quicktime Profile)
I presume that means MP4 output (those details are important darnit).. the log would tell us more (once again it's missing.. I think I need an additional keyboard button that writes "post the log"). it's the mp4box commandline and especially the fps flag that would be important.. or lack thereof and seeing which encoder was used.. if input is mp4, mp4box should take the input fps so that would indicate a problem in x264's mp4 output (they are numberous I'm afraid and always keep on creeping up.. though it's not really x264's problem but gpac's), or combine that with an improper mux commandline.

@Avish: chronocross already reported that. However, perhaps I should've written in the notes that the build you're using is not meant for non developers.. it contains major internal changes and while I did try every form (at least I think I did), I don't have all kinds of profiles to test out.
Old 6th February 2006, 17:13   #442  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

As a precaution until the refactoring is done, I will be marking my builds as stable or dev. Hopefully this will prevent some confusion onto whether or not people should use it as you have stated that they should be more for internal testing than full use.
Old 6th February 2006, 19:26   #443  |  Link
netchris

Hi all.
I have this small prob. i couldnt find a solution for.
When i create a d2v file, and try to open it in Megui's avisynth script generator i get this error "DGindex reported 0 frames in this file. This is a fatal error. Please recreate the DGindex project". Creating new d2v files with options correct field order and force open gops in d2v file,(in DGindex) doesnt help either.
I think i have my system setup just fine (with DGDecode.dll @ avisynths plugin folder). So im clueless how to fix it.
Any help appreciated.
Im using DGIndex 1.4.6.
Old 7th February 2006, 12:26   #444  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchris
When i create a d2v file, and try to open it in Megui's avisynth script generator i get this error "DGindex reported 0 frames in this file. This is a fatal error. Please recreate the DGindex project".
This could be caused by quite a number of reasons... possibly a version mismatch between DGIndex.exe and DGDecode.dll?

@devs: I think that we could perhaps get more descriptive error messages for that situation if we used dimzon's Avisynthwrapper .... new DGDecode.dll's return very descriptive AviSynth error messages, and they could be much more useful to debug than the current one (as netchris quoted).

My own bug report: MeGUI 0.2.3.2066 flags jobs as done instead of error when there is an error. However, the job quere still stops.
Old 7th February 2006, 12:48   #445  |  Link
cmw

I'm going to test out before-mentioned stuff now, but for starters:

You can not crop more than 200 pixels from each direction. Although this may not be necessary often, I don't see why. When using manual crop it won't let you enter a value above 200 and with Auto Crop there will come an error message that the Value xxx (something above 200) is supposed to be between Min and Max value.
Old 7th February 2006, 13:01   #446  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@cmw: what kind of content requires more than 200 pixels be cropped from one side?
Old 7th February 2006, 13:27   #447  |  Link
cmw

Domm 9: The sample I was going to test.

Ok, here are the results. I have to explain a bit. I use a capured Video (AVI, Zipped Motion Block Codec) from DosBox as source. This file has 70 FPS! Although this has nothing to do with MeGui, this is a major problem, because apparently VMR7 Playback AND Overlay Playback are not able to render more fps than the vertical synch of the display is. This results in extreme dumb behaviour that from an 70fps movie, only 60 are rendered in one second and the remaining 10 are not dropped but appended to the nex second! This results that the movie plays slower than it should, but the sound does not adapt, so we have extreme audio/video desynch.

However, if I use Virtual Dub's "Convert to Framerate" --> Someting below 60, Playback will be in synch.

For more information on this topic, see:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=11168

Well now for the bug reporting stuff: I loaded this 70 fps movie in the avisynchscript, cropped it, it's not interlaced.

For the cropping question: This is the Phantasmagoria Intro, the resolution of the games is 640x480, but when I set the videos to "Half", then they will only consume about 320x180 or sth like that and i would need to crop more than 200px to get rid of black borders, but that's not that important.

As encoding settings, I chose CE-Quicktime and as container .mp4.

Here is the log:

Code:
Starting job job1-1 at 12:49:41
Job is a video job. encoder commandline:
--pass 1 --bitrate 1000 --stats "C:\Programme\DOSBox-0.63\capture\test.stats" --no-cabac --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "C:\Programme\DOSBox-0.63\capture\test.avs" 
successfully started encoding
Processing ended at 12:54:01
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job1-1

avis [info]: 320x240 @ 70.01 fps (10828 frames)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 
x264 [info]: slice I:46    Avg QP:18.83  size: 16516
x264 [info]: slice P:10782 Avg QP:21.52  size:  1719
x264 [info]: mb I  I16..4: 31.4%  0.0% 68.6%
x264 [info]: mb P  I16..4:  2.5%  0.0%  0.0%  P16..4: 48.2%  0.0%  0.0%  0.0%  0.0%    skip:49.3%
x264 [info]: final ratefactor: 27.39
x264 [info]: kb/s:997.7

Actual bitrate after encoding without container overhead: 997.82

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
job job1-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job1-2
Starting job job1-2 at 12:54:01
Job is a video job. encoder commandline:
--pass 2 --bitrate 1000 --stats "C:\Programme\DOSBox-0.63\capture\test.stats" --no-cabac --subme 6 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4 --progress --no-psnr --output "C:\Programme\DOSBox-0.63\capture\test.mp4" "C:\Programme\DOSBox-0.63\capture\test.avs" 
successfully started encoding
Processing ended at 12:59:03

Log for job job1-2

avis [info]: 320x240 @ 70.01 fps (10828 frames)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 
mp4 [info]: initial delay 0 (scale 10000000)
x264 [info]: slice I:46    Avg QP:14.17  size: 23415
x264 [info]: slice P:10782 Avg QP:16.54  size:  1702
x264 [info]: mb I  I16..4: 23.7%  0.0% 76.3%
x264 [info]: mb P  I16..4:  0.3%  0.0%  1.5%  P16..4: 17.6%  1.1%  2.1%  1.2%  1.5%    skip:74.7%
x264 [info]: kb/s:1004.9

Actual bitrate after encoding without container overhead: 1005.04
desired video bitrate of this job: 1000 kbit/s - obtained video bitrate: 1007,47829964239 kbit/s
Although it is multiple times mentioned that the file is 70fps, the resulting file WILL BE at least *declared* 25 fps. However, when I check with Windows Media Player (6.4, not Classic!), and press statistics, it states that the FPS is 25, but that the actual FPS are around 60! The Audio/Video will still be out of synch, exactly as in the original Capture File (so my former assumption that it does sth like Virtual Dub's Convert to FPS is not accurate, indeed, it seems to do nothing at all except declaring the file as 25fps).

Since the FPS of the file seem not to be really altered, the only bug in this case would be that e.g. a 35fps source will be declared as 25fps in the resulting output, but will still play back with 35 fps.

Here is a screenshot of the MP Statistics:

For XVID: I couldn't reproduce the behaviour. I set xvid to 1700 CBR and as Container AVI. The resulting output will have 70fps and playback with 60 (as ususal).

So in XVID a 35fps video would be declared as 35fps and would playback with 35fps.

Screenshot:

I hope this lifts the confusion a bit.

Edit: To clarify more, i made additional screenshots:
This is the stats from the Dolby Canyon Cinemeatik Trailer. It has 29 FPS (standard) NTSC.

When converted to AVC, it will be declared as 25fps but will still playback with 29.

When converted to XVID, it will be correctly declared as 29 FPS and will playback with 29.

Edit 2: I also wonder what has happened to my interlacing problem with DV. Have you checked with the sample I provided? =)

Edit 3: Ah yeah, in case of question, my x264 version is Sharktooth's 408M.

mfg gmw

Last edited by cmw; 7th February 2006 at 13:49.
Old 7th February 2006, 17:13   #448  |  Link
netchris

Thank you for your response berrinam.
I found the solution, for some reason the program paths were reset and had to realocate them.
Somebody please post a newer binary @ sourceforge
Old 7th February 2006, 18:43   #449  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Although it is multiple times mentioned that the file is 70fps, the resulting file WILL BE at least *declared* 25 fps.
I see that you're using direct mp4 output. Your log shows no muxing, so am I correct in assuming that your experiments were done with a video-only mp4? (if not.. that's something you should not forget to mention). And if that assumption does not hold, then it's important to know that if fed with video containing mp4's, mp4box will use the input fps as its output fps.. so unless there's a muxjob with a wrong forced framerate, the problem seems to be located somewhere in gpac (be it x264's mp4 output or mp4box).

Quote:
@devs: I think that we could perhaps get more descriptive error messages for that situation if we used dimzon's Avisynthwrapper
Didn't one of dimzon's latest commits already take care of that (redirect calls to avswrapper instead of using interop via dgdecode to access the video). In fact, looking at the dev thread, he did:
Quote:
- Simplified d2vReader code (now it just forwards it's calls to AvsReader executed on Mpeg2Source(fileName) script)
Old 7th February 2006, 19:26   #450  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

seems the Pre Render Checkbox does nothing. Not that it currently works(I'm almost positive now that it's a minGW problem). Just thought I'd let you know for future purposes.
Old 7th February 2006, 19:28   #451  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Didn't one of dimzon's latest commits already take care of that (redirect calls to avswrapper instead of using interop via dgdecode to access the video). In fact, looking at the dev thread, he did:
Actually I do nothing about error reporting yet - i need to modify all code wich invokes d2vReader's methods for this
Code:
		public bool openD2V()
		{
			try
			{
                this.reader = AvsReader.ParseScript("Mpeg2Source(\"" + this.fileName + "\")");
                return true;
			}
			catch (Exception e)
			{
				Console.Write(e.Message);
				return false;
			}
		}
Old 7th February 2006, 19:39   #452  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

fixed
Code:
0.2.3.2069 7 Feb 2006
Commit by dimzon
	- Better diagnostics for d2v
	- Fixed some resource leak in VideoUtil
Old 7th February 2006, 19:45   #453  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
i need to modify all code wich invokes d2vReader's methods for this
Well.. go nuts then.. just keep the coding guidelines in mind.
Old 7th February 2006, 19:48   #454  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Well.. go nuts then.. just keep the coding guidelines in mind.
really i have found only one "DGindex reported 0 frames in this file. This is a fatal error. Please recreate the DGindex project" entry in solution - @ VideoPlayer.cs and perform modification. If anyone know another place please inform me!
Old 7th February 2006, 19:48   #455  |  Link
arnea

Audio encoding via Avisynth using DirectShowSource produced mute clip

Hi!

Audio encoding via Avisynth produces mute sound clip when DirectShowSource is used in AVS script.

Avisynth 2.5.5
MeGUI 0.2.3.2063

I discovered it when I tried to convert some WMV to iPod format. I used DirectShowSource in AVS (created it manually) and fed it into both video and audio encoding. Video encoding worked just fine. Audio encoding procuded clip with correct parameters but without sound. I made some experiments with other clips. I had some raw-AVI's that worked fine with AviSource but created empty clip when I used DirectShowSource.

Thanks for the nice tool, I especially like that it prints out the command lines - very educational.

Arne
Old 7th February 2006, 19:52   #456  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnea
I discovered it when I tried to convert some WMV to iPod format. I used DirectShowSource in AVS (created it manually) and fed it into both video and audio encoding. Video encoding worked just fine. Audio encoding procuded clip with correct parameters but without sound. I made some experiments with other clips. I had some raw-AVI's that worked fine with AviSource but created empty clip when I used DirectShowSource.
1) Does You hear sound when you opening your script in any DShow player?
2) Provide your script
3) Provide (if possible) wmv sample (less than 10MB please, upload it @ mytempdir.com in ZIP or RAR or 7Z)
Old 7th February 2006, 20:20   #457  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
really i have found only one
That sounds about right.. after all.. d2v reading is only used for the preview window with a d2v input.
Old 7th February 2006, 20:52   #458  |  Link
Turd_Ferguson
Junior Member, Optimized!

frame rate in 16:9 ntsc dvd

@Doom9
sorry about the delay, but i finally ran that command line you posted. it returned the same error that was in the windows error. i have a screen shot of the command line and error attached.

the second attachment is a screen shot of the Avisynth script generator after loading the .d2v file from DGIndex. fps show as "NaN". when i open the .d2v file in wordpad, fps shows as...

Frame_Rate=23976

the third attachment shows the Automatic Encoding window. each 16:9 ratio DVD i have tried shows a NEGATIVE bitrate in this field. i never select bitrate, always file target size, and usually it is "don't care".

i am fairly certain it is not the muxing that is the problem, since i can get the exact same senario to work if i only use a 4:3 ratio DVD. what should i try next? there must be an Avisynth command or plugin that i can use to deal with the 23.976 fps, and that might fix everything else down the line. mabey?
Attached Images

Old 7th February 2006, 21:07   #459  |  Link
pcaca

Why don't you add /platform:x86 switch in the compile.bat in order fix the compilation bug for Windows XP x64 and compile the ChronoCross builds with that switch?
I don't have any problems because i can do CVS checkout and compile it by myself, but there are people wich can't do that. I think that it's inconvinient for someone who uses Windows XP x64 to download and configure TortoiseCVS wich is not completley compatible with x64 and you must use 32-bit explorer to do CVS checkout.
Old 7th February 2006, 21:11   #460  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@Turd_Ferguson: 1) just as I suspected.. you have a buggy mp4box build.
Quote:
each 16:9 ratio DVD i have tried shows a NEGATIVE bitrate in this field.
I very much doubt that has anything to do with it.. rather this signifies a number overflow.. which bodes the question of preview.. what if you load the avs.. do you have a proper preview and does the source has the proper length reported? And then there's the question on what audio streams you have configured, and what you have clicked and typed in the auto-encode window. Add to that what the codec's bitrate was set to before you pressed auto-encode (I can't reproduce it).