Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 30th November 2014, 02:25   #1  |  Link
Reel.Deel

aWarpSharp4xx: a script similar to aWarpSharp2 but supports all planar colorspaces

I recently had to process a handful a pictures which where 4:2:2. Unfortunately aWarpSharp2 only works with YV12, so I came up with aWarpSharp4xx, a wrapper function that allows aWarpSharp2 to be used with any planar YUV colorspace.
Usage is almost identical, the only difference is that when processing YV16/YV24/YV411 chroma=1 is identical to chroma=0. When processing Y8 or YV12 aWarpSharp2() is used directly so it will be faster and more memory efficient than processing other colorspaces.
Obvious requirements are AviSynth 2.6 and aWarpSharp2. Hopefully someone will find this useful

One thing I'm unsure about is the scaling of the luma mask used to guide the chroma. Right now I'm just using BicubicResize() to scale the mask to the appropriate dimensions. Would interesting to know how aWarpSharp2() does this internally.

Code:
function aWarpSharp4xx (clip src, int "thresh", int "blur", int "type", int "depth", int "depthC", int "chroma", bool "lsb", string "cplace")
{
depth  = default(depth, 16)
depthC = default(depthC, src.IsYV24 ? depth : depth/2) #depth/3 is claimed to work better
chroma = default(chroma, 4)
lsb    = default(lsb, false)
cplace = default(cplace, "MPEG2")

Assert(IsPlanar(src), "aWarpSharp4xx: input clip must be planar YUV")
Assert(0 <= chroma <= 6, "aWarpSharp4xx: argument chroma must be an integer between 0 and 6.")
Assert(cplace == "MPEG2" || cplace == "MPEG1", "aWarpSharp4xx: chroma siting must be MPEG2 or MPEG1")

src8 = lsb ? src.DitherPost(mode=-1) : src

IsY8(src) || IsYV12(src) && (chroma != 4 && chroma != 6) ? \
Eval("""
warp   = ConvertToYV12(src8).aWarpSharp2(thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=depth, chroma=IsY8(src) ? 1 : chroma)
output = IsY8(src) ? ConvertToY8(warp) : warp
""") : \
Eval("""
y = ConvertToY8(src8).ConvertToYV12()
u = UtoY(src8).ConvertToYV12()
v = VtoY(src8).ConvertToYV12()

# warp each channel independently
y_warp = aWarpSharp2(y, thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=depth,  chroma=1)
u_warp = aWarpSharp2(u, thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=depthC, chroma=1)
v_warp = aWarpSharp2(v, thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=depthC, chroma=1)

# warp chroma by guiding it with the luma edge mask
cshift = cplace == "MPEG2" && !src.IsYV24 ? -0.5 : 0
y_mask  = aSobel(y, thresh=thresh).aBlur(blur=blur, type=type).BilinearResize(u.width(), v.height(), src_left=cshift)
u_warp2 = aWarp(u, y_mask, depth=depthC, chroma=1)
v_warp2 = aWarp(v, y_mask, depth=depthC, chroma=1)

# "fill with zeroes"
blank = BlankClip(u, pixel_type="Y8", color_yuv=$808080)

# luma/chroma processing
output = chroma==0 ||                                      \
         chroma==1 ? YtoUV( blank   , blank   , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==2 ? YtoUV( u       , v       , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==3 ? YtoUV( u_warp  , v_warp  , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==4 ? YtoUV( u_warp2 , v_warp2 , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==5 ? YtoUV( u_warp  , v_warp  , y      ) : \
         chroma==6 ? YtoUV( u_warp2 , v_warp2 , y      ) : \
         src8
""")
output8_16 = lsb==true ? output.Dither_convert_8_to_16() : output
y_ld  = chroma < 5 ? 3 : 2
uv_ld = Min(chroma, 3)
output16 = Dither_limit_dif16(src, output8_16, thr=1.0, elast=1.5, y=y_ld, u=uv_ld, v=uv_ld)
Return(lsb==true ? output16 : output8_16)
}
I'm not an expert at AviSynth scripting so if something can be done a bit more efficiently please let me know.

Last edited by Reel.Deel; 31st March 2015 at 18:40. Reason: add updated script
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 21:30   #2  |  Link
real.finder

I was thinking of good "warp chroma by guiding it with the luma" away from aWarpSharp2 to get better result

and never think I will get it with this script, but it better than aWarpSharp2

yes, your script result different from original aWarpSharp2 in yv12 after delete "IsYV12(src)" from "IsY8(src) || IsYV12(src) ? \" line

look like original aWarpSharp2 do the "warp chroma by guiding it with the luma" after aWarpSharp2 in luma even with chroma=6

so this is my little edition to make it work with yv12 too

*deleted*

edit: original one above now work with yv12 in some case, but if you want my edition it can be find below

edit: the different from original aWarpSharp2 is that the original use type=0 and aBlur use type=1, so if we use type=0 in aWarpSharp4xx it will be like the original one

Last edited by real.finder; 24th October 2015 at 17:44.
real.finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:59   #3  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
look like original aWarpSharp2 do the "warp chroma by guiding it with the luma" after aWarpSharp2 in luma even with chroma=6
If I'm understating you correctly you're saying that aWarpSharp2(chroma=6) warps the luma first and then uses it to guide the chroma channels? I'm not sure how aWarpSharp2 works internally but I did a little test that confirms the luma channel is simply copied from the input clip when chroma=6.
Code:
original = last
filtered = last.aWarpSharp2(chroma=6)
mt_lutxy(original,filtered, "x y - abs 255 *", u=-128, v=-128)
Old 22nd March 2015, 16:18   #4  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
If I'm understating you correctly you're saying that aWarpSharp2(chroma=6) warps the luma first and then uses it to guide the chroma channels? I'm not sure how aWarpSharp2 works internally but I did a little test that confirms the luma channel is simply copied from the input clip when chroma=6.
Code:
original = last
Warpsharp detects the "exact" edge, and pixels around the edge would move along to the edge by vectors, "guide by luma", that's telling you you are processing chroma planes but you get the vector and edge reference from luma plane
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 16:22   #5  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Sigh....Yes I know what "guide by luma" means. But that's not what we're discussing...
Old 22nd March 2015, 16:30   #6  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Yeah, you wanna know will warpsharp process luma if set "guide by luma", well, no, cuz you don't need to process it first to use it as a reference of detecting steps
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 16:55   #7  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Code:
original = last
the luma will copied from the input clip, yes. but I am talking about chroma, and just a wonder, not sure about that
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:12   #8  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
the luma will copied from the input clip, yes. but I am talking about chroma, and just a wonder, not sure about that
I tried guiding the chroma multiple ways but I cannot reproduce how aWarpSharp2(chroma=6) does it internally. I cannot get the same output, not even remotely.

With my script with chroma=6 it goes like this: source-->aSobel-->aBlur-->BicubicResize (to scale mask to appropriate dimensions) this edge mask is then used to guide the chroma.

From your first post I thought you meant that aWarpSharp2(chroma=6) does something like this (internally): source-->aWarpSharp2-->aSobel-->aBlur - this edge mask is then used to guide the chroma channels.
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:54   #9  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
I tried guiding the chroma multiple ways but I cannot reproduce how aWarpSharp2(chroma=6) does it internally. I cannot get the same output, not even remotely.

With my script with chroma=6 it goes like this: source-->aSobel-->aBlur-->BicubicResize (to scale mask to appropriate dimensions) this edge mask is then used to guide the chroma.

From your first post I thought you meant that aWarpSharp2(chroma=6) does something like this (internally): source-->aWarpSharp2-->aSobel-->aBlur - this edge mask is then used to guide the chroma channels.
waiting SEt to know how it work, but anyway, I like it now like this, Yet knowing how the original work is also interesting
Old 24th March 2015, 14:35   #10  |  Link
zero9999

here's a little modification of the script to enable stacked 16-bit support. I've also cleaned it up a bit and added a very minor optimization for yv12+chroma==1.

Requires AVS+ because eval blocks are nasty.

Oh and Reel.Deel, as for the differences you're seing, maybe consider this:
Code:
<_08> uh, line0, just remembered: original awarp uses half depth for chroma
<_08> though depth/3 works better
Edit: fixed for chroma shift and use faster resizer for the mask

Last edited by zero9999; 24th March 2015 at 15:20.
zero9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 08:13   #11  |  Link
real.finder

according to http://avisynth.nl/images/Colorspace-subsampling.png

I make some changes on the script

Code:
# make aWarpSharp2 work on other planar, for avs 2.6
# v1.33

function aWarpSharp4xx (clip osrc, int "thresh", int "blur", int "type", int "depth", int "chroma", int "cdepth", string "cplace", bool "bic", bool "lsb")
{

lsb    = default(lsb, false)
src = lsb ? osrc.DitherPost(mode=-1) : osrc

depth  = default(depth, 16)
chroma = default(chroma, 4)
cplace = default(cplace, "MPEG2")
cdepth = default(cdepth, IsYV24(src) ? depth : depth/2)
bic    = default(bic, true)

Assert(IsPlanar(src), "aWarpSharp4xx: input clip must be planar YUV")
assert(0 <= chroma <= 6, "aWarpSharp4xx: argument chroma must be an integer between 0 and 6.")  
assert(cplace == "MPEG2" || cplace == "MPEG1", "aWarpSharp4xx: chroma siting must be MPEG2 or MPEG1") 

IsY8(src) || (IsYV12(src) && (chroma == 0 || chroma == 1 || chroma == 2)) ? \
Eval("""
warp   = ConvertToYV12(src).aWarpSharp2(thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=depth, chroma=IsY8(src) ? 1 : chroma)
output = IsY8(src) ? ConvertToY8(warp) : warp
""") : \
Eval("""
y = ConvertToY8(src).ConvertToYV12()
u = UtoY8(src).ConvertToYV12()
v = VtoY8(src).ConvertToYV12()

# warp each channel independently
y_warp = aWarpSharp2(y, thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=depth, chroma=1)
u_warp = aWarpSharp2(u, thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=cdepth, chroma=1)
v_warp = aWarpSharp2(v, thresh=thresh, blur=blur, type=type, depth=cdepth, chroma=1)

# warp chroma by guiding it with the luma edge mask
cshift = IsYV411(src) ? -1.5 : (cplace == "MPEG1" && IsYV12(src)) || IsYV24(src) ? 0 : -0.5
y_mask  = bic ? aSobel(y, thresh=thresh).aBlur(blur=blur, type=type).BicubicResize(u.width(), v.height(), src_left=cshift) : \
aSobel(y, thresh=thresh).aBlur(blur=blur, type=type).BilinearResize(u.width(), v.height(), src_left=cshift)
u_warp2 = aWarp(u, y_mask, depth=cdepth, chroma=1)
v_warp2 = aWarp(v, y_mask, depth=cdepth, chroma=1)

# "fill with zeroes"
blank = BlankClip(u, pixel_type="Y8", color_yuv=$808080)

# luma/chroma processing
output = chroma==0 ||                                      \
         chroma==1 ? YtoUV( blank   , blank   , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==2 ? YtoUV( u       , v       , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==3 ? YtoUV( u_warp  , v_warp  , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==4 ? YtoUV( u_warp2 , v_warp2 , y_warp ) : \
         chroma==5 ? YtoUV( u_warp  , v_warp  , y      ) : \
         chroma==6 ? YtoUV( u_warp2 , v_warp2 , y      ) : \
         src
""")
output8_16 = lsb==true ? output.Dither_convert_8_to_16() : output
y_ld  = chroma < 5 ? 3 : 2
uv_ld = Min(chroma, 3)
Return(lsb==true ? Dither_limit_dif16(osrc, output8_16, thr=1.0, elast=1.5, y=y_ld, u=uv_ld, v=uv_ld) : output8_16)
}
and here http://pastebin.com/aVGgz0f8 the one that will work like original one

and this will be faster http://pastebin.com/09sXzKfa work with last aWarpSharp2

Last edited by real.finder; 28th January 2017 at 09:41.
real.finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 14:19   #12  |  Link
cretindesalpes
͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿

A few months ago I needed a 4:4:4 aWarpSharp2 for my toolchain and wrote a modification to the original plug-in:

awarpsharp2-2015.10.25.zip

I wrote this quickly so I’m not sure everything works well. If the plug-in is reported to work correctly, I’ll post the modification in the official aws2 thread.

Last edited by cretindesalpes; 25th October 2015 at 09:33. Reason: Recompiled with MSVC 2013
cretindesalpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 14:35   #13  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Time for an update! See 1st post.
  • Add "depthC" parameter, independent depth for chroma, if this value is not specified it defaults to depth/2, except in YV24 where it defaults to just depth. Idea borrowed from _08.
  • Add "cplace" parameter, chroma placement, "MPEG2" for DVD, Blu-ray, web videos and just about any other 'consumer format'. "MPEG1" for some JPGs, MJPEG, and anything else that might use it .
  • Add "lsb" parameter, 16-bit processing - true: if input clip is stack16, false: input clip is a regular 8-bit clip. Output will always be the same format as the input. Dither is now required.
  • Luma mask used to warp chroma is now resized with BilinearResize.
  • YV12 optimization: if "chroma" does not equal 4 or 6 and cplace="MPEG1" then use aWarpSharp2 directly.
  • Note: chroma warp/output is different than aWarpSharp2 (really only when using chroma=4 or 6), I personally prefer aWarpSharp4xx. real.finder also showed me some examples where aWarpSharp4xx is indeed better but as always YMMV.
  • For those who use AviSynth+, script can be found here.
If you find any bugs or if you have any suggestions and or comments please don't hesitate.

Big thanks to line0 for all the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretindesalpes View Post
A few months ago I needed a 4:4:4 aWarpSharp2 for my toolchain and wrote a modification to the original plug-in:

awarpsharp2-2015.01.29.zip

I wrote this quickly so I’m not sure everything works well. If the plug-in is reported to work correctly, I’ll post the modification in the official aws2 thread.
Thank you very much cretindesalpes! Will definitely test it out!

Last edited by Reel.Deel; 30th March 2015 at 18:53. Reason: corections
Old 30th March 2015, 17:48   #14  |  Link
TheSkiller

Thanks for the update. Not being limited to YV12 when you're working with a lossless analog 4:2:2 capture – and even stack16 support – is really a relief.

Quote:
"MPEG1" for some JPGs, DV, and anything else that might use it .
Wait! DV does not use MPEG1 chroma placement. It uses it's own placement where Cb and Cr samples (for interlaced PAL DV) are vertically placed between luma samples by half a luma pixel. Where for interlaced MPEG2 the placing has different offsets for both fields (don't know the numbers though).
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 18:49   #15  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
Wait! DV does not use MPEG1 chroma placement.
You're indeed correct, must of been too early in the morning .
I don't know too much about interlaced chroma placement and I don't think many people use DV nowadays anyways. Regardless this script is meant for progressive input only.

Edit: reel.finder added this: cshift = IsYV411(src) ? 1.5
src_left=1.5, would that be correct for progressive DV (NTSC)?

Last edited by Reel.Deel; 30th March 2015 at 19:01.
Old 27th September 2015, 17:29   #16  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:

I see you only mentioned YV24, does it work correctly with the other planar colorspaces also? I tried with YV16 and didn't notice anything wrong but I just wanna be sure.
Old 27th September 2015, 21:44   #17  |  Link
cretindesalpes

4:1:1 is not supported.
Old 24th October 2015, 18:35   #18  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:

Code:
ColorBars(width=720, height=480, pixel_type="RGB32")
ConvertToYV12()
aWarpSharp2()
I got in avspmod

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "avsp.pyo", line 9061, in OnMenuVideoToggle
  File "avsp.pyo", line 13855, in ShowVideoFrame
  File "avisynth.pyo", line 462, in GetFrame
WindowsError: exception: access violation reading 0xFFFFFFFF
Old 24th October 2015, 23:56   #19  |  Link
real.finder

I edit this post http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...03&postcount=2

aWarpSharp4xx(type=0,cplace="mpeg1") in yv12 will be like aWarpSharp2()

so this mean that aWarpSharp2 warp in mpeg1 right? Is the cretindesalpes aWarpSharp2 fix this?
Old 25th October 2015, 09:37   #20  |  Link
cretindesalpes

real.finder:

I could reproduce the bug once, but after upgrading the projects to MSVC 2013 and recompiling it, I couldn’t show it anymore. So I updated the version in my previous post. Could you try it again?

And regarding your second question, yes, awarpsharp2 uses MPEG-1 chroma placement, and no, I didn’t fix anything about this issue.