Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th May 2007, 08:51   #1  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

2.6 avisynth.h is temporarily under full GPL

Dear Fellow Developers,

I have temporarily removed the GPL exemption from my latest Avisynth.h.

This means anybody publishing software that uses my code from these versions of Avisynth.h must also publish the full source code.

I do this because I am about to rip the guts out of the interface and I want access to the source of any published 2.6 plugins while development is progressing.

When I get the new code correct I will restore the normal avisynth GPL exemption.

The licences conditions of other versions of Avisynth.h, including my earlier contributions, are unchanged.

Thank you for your support,
IanB
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 11:01   #2  |  Link
Fizick
AviSynth plugger

Ian,
please create some tag or branch at CVS with current state of 2.6 sources (before exemptions removing).
Can you say how do you want to break Avisynth 2.6 pre-alpha?
Old 8th May 2007, 19:42   #3  |  Link
Ignus2

Could you also update the avisynth C interface file? It is missing some declarations, for example the Y8 video format related defines and functions.

That would be a nice thing, as we're using the C interface for all our plugins.

--
Greets,
I.
Ignus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 06:38   #4  |  Link
d'Oursse
Mushroomeur

Why not using the LGPL ? As Avisynth is a library, with the LGPL, it can be linked wih other projects using non GPL licence
d'Oursse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 13:53   #5  |  Link
Fizick
AviSynth plugger

d'Oursse,
GPL was Ben's decision. We may not to change it.
Old 12th May 2007, 14:07   #6  |  Link
d'Oursse
Mushroomeur

did you keep any part of his code ? If not, you are free to change the licence, if I'm not mistaken
d'Oursse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 20:15   #7  |  Link
MfA

Meh, if someone is hard up for using the library under the LGPL license let them do all the work of tracking down the sources of all the code and asking them for permission. It's not like it's a small task.
MfA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 07:29   #8  |  Link
stickboy
AviSynth Enthusiast

Why not ask developers not to write plug-ins against the unstable interface yet?

It's not like you can stop people from writing plug-ins against a different version of avisynth.h (2.6 or otherwise) that contains the exemption. If those plug-ins become broken, it's the authors' own fault for not listening.

Changing the licensing terms (and then changing them back) seems like a strange and heavy-handed way of doing this. IMO, it'd potentially upset people on the way in (anyone who doesn't actively read this forum would think it's a clandestine attempt at shoving the GPL down people's throats) and on the way out (potentially someone could modify avisynth.h in the interim unaware of the intended exemption). The latter case admittedly is contrived, since in practice only a handful of people would be touching avisynth.h (and possibly only you), but it seems like a can of worms better left avoiding if possible.
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote