Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 20th May 2002, 21:09   #1  |  Link
otakucode

Non-DVD MPEG-2 to DiVX5+?

I've got a Tivo and its all hacked up and everything and I've been pulling video off of it to keep. I would like to convert it to DiVX5+, but haven't been able to find a program that takes MPEG-2 program streams as input (or separate MPEG-2 video and audio files)... Also another problem I have is that what I wish to do is specify a bitrate (well, average) and not fit the AVI to a certain filesize. Is there a utility that will do this? Vidomi is what I use currently but I have to use DiVX 3.11 because its DiVX 5 support is a joke.

Thanks in advance,
OtakuCODE
otakucode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2002, 21:32   #2  |  Link
Acaila
Retired

Avisynth can use MPEG2 as input with:
LoadPlugin("C:\xxx\Mpeg2dec.dll")
MPEG2Source("C:\xxx\Movie.mpg")

Replace xxx with the correct path

Download Avisynth from Doom9's download section. Install it. Make a text file with the above lines in it, save it with the .avs extension.

You can then open that avs file with VirtualDub and encode as normal (= as per the guides).
Acaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2002, 21:55   #3  |  Link
otakucode

I should have been more specific with what I was looking for I know I can use AVISynth and such, what I'm looking for is something automatic so once I have the MPG file or the M2V and M2A file, set the codec parameters, tell it I want 2-pass 750kbps VBR, and hit Go... batch encoding abilities would be even better, and selecting a source range to encode would put me in paradise. Vidomi does all of this for DiVX 3.11, it just doesn't support it for DiVX 5+...

OtakuCODE
Old 21st May 2002, 06:36   #4  |  Link
Acaila
Retired

Well, isn't that what VDub does? It might not have batch encoding, but it has a joblist which you can tell it to run without being there for each pass. And you can specify the source range as well.

But if you don't like this then you can also send Marty a few email begging for DivX5 support, and prepare to wait a while
Acaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 11:29   #5  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

mpeg2 is perfect, better than an avi source because you can use Gordian Knot. Open DVD2avi from Gknot, open the mpeg2 file, set the audio to demux or decode (depending on what you want), then save as a project and open this project in Gknot again (that is: follow the Gknot guides except for the ripping part).
You can also specify an average bitrate for the files, you don't have to use the "fit to a certain number of cd's" function of Gknot.
theReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 03:27   #6  |  Link
otakucode

My copy of VirtualDub won't open MPEG-2 files, do I need something? Or do I have to go manual and create an AVS file to feed into it?

And that would be a beyond perfect solution, theReal... IF I didn't have to edit the MPEG first to cut out commercials since DVD2AVI only lets you specify 1 source range...

OtakuCODE
The search continues....
Old 23rd May 2002, 06:42   #7  |  Link
bb

theREAL's answer is perfect, I'd say. The GordianKnot method is well suited for your problem. When you open the GordianKnot generated AVS file in VirtualDub, you can cut it there as you like, as many segments as you like.

I've done some encodes from a DVB source this way (with some PVAstrumento pre-processing).

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote