Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th March 2012, 03:27   #12561  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
This build has not fixed it unfortunately.
For me this build did not fix the freezing on switching files neither.
Problem remains the same and is almost 100% repeatable.
I'll have to disable FSE in Madvr or use EVR with RGB input.

Last edited by Pat357; 6th March 2012 at 03:29.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 03:43   #12562  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi's sorting it out with Aleksoid (one of the MPC developers) we'll get it sorted out eventually.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 04:49   #12563  |  Link
Andy o

Yes, previously with 0.81 and before I got a freeze with FSE whenever changing files after a refresh rate change, like I said before, and it was fixed by using D3D11. Now it seems the freeze is different, it always happens (not just after refresh rate switch), and D3D11 doesn't fix it. It's every time jumping from file to file. I'm searching for the instructions to make a report, anyone wanna make my life easier? It's not on the OP nor the txt files.

Also, is this happening to most people? Anyone can confirm that this never happens to them?
Old 6th March 2012, 05:06   #12564  |  Link
Andy o

OK, report and debug log here http://www.mediafire.com/?65mdlko1revfazb

Using hardware in my sig except an ATI 4670 instead of 5770.
Old 6th March 2012, 06:30   #12565  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
MPC-HC freezes ( not responding state in task maanger ) when display changer is ON and MPC-HC has the full screen option turned ON. Im speaking about launching for example a 23.976fps video on a 60Hz display, which switches into 23Hz, but MPC-HC hangs there.
I'm having this problem as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Quote:
Madshi's sorting it out with Aleksoid (one of the MPC developers) we'll get it sorted out eventually.
I don't think you guys are having the same trouble. Pat's problem seems like what I described in my posts above.
Old 6th March 2012, 06:50   #12566  |  Link
FlashGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Great! The "Strike" samples are somewhat similar to the Broken Blossoms samples. Can I have 2 samples more from "Strike"? Thanks a lot!!
Each from a different VOB: http://www.mediafire.com/?n54svlhn7acdlii

Also, I finally found my MoC DVD of Nosferatu, I remember having to deinterlace it when I last watched it -- sure enough it has weird cadence changes in certain spots so I included a sample of it, let me know if you need more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I would like to talk a little about system freezes as I have had trouble with this over the last few weeks again. Firstly when I say system freeze I am talking about a complete system lockup with the only solution being a reset. This is not madVR related so much but I hope madshi does not mind me posting this here as it may help some of you.

...and for what ever reason it was just not stable on my system as sometimes it would cause a system freeze a few seconds into playback, sometimes after an hour and sometimes not at all. ...At some point I tried the newer resampler again and everything was fine.. Basically I never found what the cause of the freeze was....

So now my system is back where it was with this issue. I personally feel its an issue between the onboard audio of my nvidia gfx card and one of the onboard LAN adapters on my mobo. It seems that the freeze only happens when either intensive audio is playing or doing something lan related... Initialting the TOR client for example can cause the freeze.

My point here being that it could have been very easy for me to point the finger at madVR given a new version was running when the freezes started to occur again during video playback. It was only my past experiance on my system that stopped me reporting to this thread. My advise to anyone now getting system freezing (esp if you updated to the new 295.xx nvidia drivers) is to try the following tests;

1) Disable any onboard LAN adapters and see if the freeze stops.
2) Take reclock out of the loop and see if system freezes stop.
3) Play a video while not using an audio device onboard a gfx card and see if the freezing stops.

Only after you have ruled out the above can you start thinking about it being an issue with madVR.
You just summed up the experience I had not too long ago... almost exact situation (except I have an ATI card). I posted in this thread about freezes I was getting with later madVR versions, as it seemed a certain older version wasn't producing the absolutely random freezing. I forgot to post a follow-up, but it turns out that I also found it was a problem with my LAN drivers (I still got freezes with test 2) and 3)). I turned off the LAN adapters and suddenly the freezing was gone, even with the later madvr versions that I thought were causing it. I ended up finding LAN drivers that worked by testing them and have not had a freeze since. I guess this only applies to non-reproducible freezes - ones that happen completely at random
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 06:52   #12567  |  Link
ryrynz

Andy, I think you missed his reply to you earlier in the conversation.

Quote:
No, second time still crashes and it seems it's not because of refresh-rate switching.
The crashing happens also if both files have the same fps, like 2 files with 23.970 fps.
Thanks for the tip about D3D11, but doesn't seem to have any influence on the crashing for me.
Also.

Quote:
Problem : if MadVR is in FSE mode, it crashes MPC-HC (+itself ?) upon switching to the next/previous file.
It's the same issue I've been experiencing and it's a issue with MPC-HC.
Old 6th March 2012, 07:02   #12568  |  Link
Andy o

Oh, I understood his, but I misunderstood your issue apparently. You were talking about flush settings and how it affects and makes it more or less likely. My freezes happen every time in the situations I described above.
Old 6th March 2012, 07:33   #12569  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, I've retested with 0.81 with version Aleksoids's 1 and 2 builds and build 2 actually fixes it. However 0.82 introduces a new problem when switching to the next file, I thought it was the same issue.
It shows up differently, a smaller MPC-HC window displays with black background as it hangs.

All builds of MPC are experiencing this issue so it's MadVR related.

My trace reports I made with those two builds should hopefully help you discover the problem.

Cheers Andy!
Old 6th March 2012, 07:43   #12570  |  Link
Andy o

Thanks, I'll test that build. D3D11 fixed it for me with 0.81 and previous, FWIW. Could you see if it does for you? Also, it only happened after the first file skip after a refresh rate change. After it froze one time and MPC-HC was closed, it didn't happen again until the next refresh change.
Old 6th March 2012, 07:48   #12571  |  Link
ryrynz

I don't do any refresh rate changes but this does sound like the same issue, once it happened the first time it's hard to duplicate which is why I reboot every time to test it.
It's just unlucky that 0.82 introduced a new problem which appears at first glance similar to the MPC issue.
Stick with 0.81 for the time being if that fixes it for you with MPC MadVR build 2, Madshi will likely hammer out a new version fairly promptly after he wakes up.

Last edited by ryrynz; 6th March 2012 at 07:50.
Old 6th March 2012, 07:49   #12572  |  Link
Andy o

Thanks, will try those builds.

EDIT: confirmed that it's been fixed with 0.81.

Last edited by Andy o; 6th March 2012 at 08:07.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 09:06   #12573  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Small typo...did you mean default cpu/gpu queue size is 16/8 or 12/8? The default is 12/8, but in the 0.81 it says 16/8
Oh, that's actually a bug. It was supposed to be 16, will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Bug:
SoftCubic can't be changed to other than 50.
Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
MPC-HC freezes ( not responding state in task maanger ) when display changer is ON and MPC-HC has the full screen option turned ON. Im speaking about launching for example a 23.976fps video on a 60Hz display, which switches into 23Hz, but MPC-HC hangs there.
The same happens also if MPC-HC is being launched from XMBC as external player. XBMC forces MPC-HC to go immediately fullscreen and together with the display changing it results in a full screen black with either mouse pointer or sand timer, what indicates a freeze.
Can I get a freeze report, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Thanks for the new version.

I tested every sample I have with station animations, and madVR maintained the 3:2 cadence every time.

Also loving the faster switch in and out of FSE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Yes, I noticed manually changing resolution doesn't even seem to interfere with FSE at all anymore, fantastic!

Edit: I can even disable "present several frames in advance" now, this build is totally awesome, faster than ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I can confirm that the display changer is working perfectly on my end. Also, window dragging across screens seems to be cleaner and improved. Thanks madshi!
Glad to hear not all is bad.

Quote:
Can I have a freeze report, please?

Quote:
build 2 actually fixes the issue with 0.81
Quote:
Madshi, I've retested with 0.81 with version Aleksoids's 1 and 2 builds and build 2 actually fixes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
EDIT: confirmed that it's been fixed with 0.81.
Please confirm: Is the problem fixed with 0.81 with both new Aleksoid builds? Or just with build 2? That's important for Aleksoid to know. Thx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
Each from a different VOB: http://www.mediafire.com/?n54svlhn7acdlii

Also, I finally found my MoC DVD of Nosferatu, I remember having to deinterlace it when I last watched it -- sure enough it has weird cadence changes in certain spots so I included a sample of it, let me know if you need more.
Nosferatu appears to be field blended, so it's not suitable for IVTC. So no more samples needed from Nosferatu. Thanks!!

Ok, will look if I can do something about those freezes now...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 09:32   #12574  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah I know it would be It's only build 2 that doesn't freeze.
Old 6th March 2012, 09:47   #12575  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

In one of the freeze reports posted by users, you can see the decoder actually creating a new D3D instance, which happens when loading the graph (The one with the IntelQuickSyncDecoder.dll reference)

Why would madVR still be closing down its old instance while the graph is already initializing a new decoder?
Seems rather odd to me.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:27   #12576  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
In one of the freeze reports posted by users, you can see the decoder actually creating a new D3D instance, which happens when loading the graph (The one with the IntelQuickSyncDecoder.dll reference)

Why would madVR still be closing down its old instance while the graph is already initializing a new decoder?
Seems rather odd to me.
ryrynz had tracked the MPC-HC build down in which these freezes were introduced and the changes in the MPC-HC build were related to the "display mode changed" event. Basically MPC-HC tries to create a Direct3D9 device in the "display mode changed" handler, in order to find out the GPU manufacturer.

I'm not 100% sure if the freeze report with the "Intel Quicksync" reference (the one you're refering to) is also caused by the "display mode changed" event. It doesn't look that way at a quick glance - after all why should "createQuickSync" be called when the display mode has changed? But who knows. At least it seems that the freeze is gone in Aleksoid's test build in which he removed the Direct3D9 creation in the display change event handler.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:03   #12577  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

How about this one?

http://madshi.net/madVR82c.zip

Does it fix the freezes?
Old 6th March 2012, 12:50   #12578  |  Link
nlnl

madshi
Thank you for .82!

For this sample (NTSC DVD film)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43376972/SD%20%281%29-001.mkv
Settings:
force film mode
if in doubt, activate deinterlacing
but OSD says that deinter is off (upstream)!
So deinterlacing is not on automatically?
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 13:09   #12579  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
How about this one?

http://madshi.net/madVR82c.zip

Does it fix the freezes?
Getting freeze on seek in MPC-HC (Alexoid b2), trace sent.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 14:00   #12580  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
madshi
Thank you for .82!

For this sample (NTSC DVD film)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43376972/SD%20%281%29-001.mkv
Settings:
force film mode
if in doubt, activate deinterlacing
but OSD says that deinter is off (upstream)!
So deinterlacing is not on automatically?
My fault, will be fixed in the next "official" build. You'll have to activate the "if in doubt, activate deinterlacing" again with the next build, then it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Getting freeze on seek in MPC-HC (Alexoid b2), trace sent.
Next try:

http://madshi.net/madVR82d.zip

Aleksoid also appears to have fixed the other freeze problem and moves his changes to SVN. So as soon as MPC-HC revision 4128 is available, please retest. E.g. use XhmikosR's builds .

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling