Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 13th March 2002, 07:01   #1  |  Link
Colby

Should I buy the LF-D311 DVD R/RAM?

Hello,
I've been successfully burning movie only a RIPS
to DVD-R using a borrowed A03. I am happy with the results using various types of cheap
media but they only burn at 1X speed, which is just fine by me.

I have no use for DVD-RW or DVD-RAM for that matter.
The Panasonic LF-D311 runs a $100 less and appears to meet my limited needs. What are some thoughts regarding the LF-D311 in this particular case?
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 12:01   #2  |  Link
Scuba

The best use for the DVD-RW is that you can make a test run of your DVD before burning the final media.
Saves lot's of coasters.
Apart from this the Panasonic uses the same DVD-R as the Pioneer.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 16:11   #3  |  Link
Colby

I went through the coaster-phase already because both of my DVD players do not support the RW format.

Is there any reason to believe that the the LF-D311 is inferior in quality to the A03?

I see that the A04/104 has Buffer underrun protection, but the rest of the improvements seem like overkill for my needs.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2002, 02:00   #4  |  Link
Nomadic1

LF-D311 DVD R/RAM

Colby,

I just bought the LF-D311 and one advantage is that the drive can write many times to DVD-RAM. This allows you to create your DVD and then to view it prior to making a bunch of $4 coasters. The DVD-RAM can only be viewed on your PC but it still let's you view your project prior to burning it onto a DVD-R.

I'm fairly new so I'll be learing (making mistakes) along the way !!

Nomad
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2002, 12:11   #5  |  Link
Scuba

the panasonic uses the same DVD-R as the Pioneer, with same player compatebility and such.

But the Pioneer can burn to DVD-RW as well that can be played and tested on normal players while the Panasonic burn also to DVD-RAM that is not compatible with DVD Players.
So using the Panasonic you can't test your DVD prior to the final burning stage.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2002, 22:37   #6  |  Link
lucindrea

Re: LF-D311 DVD R/RAM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nomadic1
Colby,

I just bought the LF-D311 and one advantage is that the drive can write many times to DVD-RAM. This allows you to create your DVD and then to view it prior to making a bunch of $4 coasters. The DVD-RAM can only be viewed on your PC but it still let's you view your project prior to burning it onto a DVD-R.

I'm fairly new so I'll be learing (making mistakes) along the way !!

Nomad
i never could manage to get any software to see my ram as anything but a removable HD .. how do you get it to act like a dvd-rom/r ? ... i dont mind the accasional coaster ( i've more than a few cd-r's in my time and i dont kid myself thinking i'll never make a dvd-r coaster ) .... the ability to test is the only thing that has me second guessing my lf-d311 .... one note .. VOB disk writer says the thing can write at 9X ... so it says 7mins to write a dvd and even counts down time left ... it just takes 45 mins for it to go from 7 mins to 0 mins
lucindrea is offline   Reply With Quote