Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 9th October 2006, 01:21   #61  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Sorry, forget Texan might not translate into Italian I meant test it very hard and see if any bugs pop up. (I think crf 20 might be better)

Small thing, If multires and pause are checked, the second iteration will not allow input as the focus is held by by the continue box.

Last edited by DDogg; 9th October 2006 at 01:38.
Old 9th October 2006, 07:40   #62  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
Small thing, If multires and pause are checked, the second iteration will not allow input as the focus is held by by the continue box.
i think is correct as is. "Pause before" is the first prompt that appear , and this allow editing of bat / avs files.

After click on "Click Ok when ready" the autoresize will start and at end of encoding the question about "Redo Autosize" will prompt (and you are allowd to edit automkv window)

If NO the encoding start (after asking again to be ready), if yes the routines restart.

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 9th October 2006, 11:40   #63  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

update www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV22.exe

added x264 and xvid profile editing. in the new tab "Advanced profiles editing" the actual profile will be loaded.
In this editor user can edit the profile , or reload it, and check "Use this profile".

If checked "Use this profile" , automkv will use these values and NOT those in standard profiles (just a little/fast way for editing profiles)

changed: CRF 19 is now default for autoresize

BHH

Last edited by buzzqw; 9th October 2006 at 11:47.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:06   #64  |  Link
DDogg

Hmm, something not right with bitrate - 1P max speed - progressive source 150804 frames with 335 mb ac3 - target 2 cds - showing a bitrate of 3199 in the x264 commandline. Should be about 1400, right?

Code:
ForcedFilm applied:       99.900002% FILM found
Number of Frames:          150804
Framerate:                 23.976025
Movie lenght in Seconds:   6290
Movie Width:               720
Movie Height:              480
Starting X264 Autosize
Command Line CRF encoding X264: C:\apps\AutoMK\exe\encoder\x264.exe --crf 20 --progress --keyint 250 --bframes 0 --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --no-psnr --ref 1 
--filter 0,0 --subme 0 --direct auto --vbv-maxrate 25000 --me dia --merange 8 --nf --no-cabac --no-b-adapt --no-chroma-me --threads 2 
--cqmfile "C:\apps\AutoMK\profiles\X264-profiles\matrix\eqm_avc_hr.cfg"  --output "D:\temp\auto6\resmovie.mp4" "D:\temp\auto6\resmovie.avs"
Tested total movie:        2%
Movie Width Computed:      1504
AutoResize movie size:     38693873
Starting  X264
Command Line ABR encoding X264: C:\apps\AutoMK\exe\encoder\x264.exe --bitrate 3199 --progress --keyint 250 --bframes 0 --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --no-psnr --ref 1 
--filter 0,0 --subme 0 --direct auto --vbv-maxrate 25000 --me dia --merange 8 --nf --no-cabac --no-b-adapt --no-chroma-me --threads 2 
--cqmfile "C:\apps\AutoMK\profiles\X264-profiles\matrix\eqm_avc_hr.cfg"  --output "D:\temp\auto6\movie.mp4" "D:\temp\auto6\movie.avs"

Last edited by DDogg; 9th October 2006 at 15:21.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:20   #65  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
target 2 cds
how have you choose it ? from the list (1 CD, 2 CD, 3 CD ) or have you written just 1400 ? (preferred choice)
or "1 CD" and in next box "2" ?

I can assure that bitrare calculation isn't changed

BHH
Old 9th October 2006, 15:22   #66  |  Link
DDogg

2 cd 2 slice, which is confusing to me. Why is the second input there after the drop down? Not very intuitive. Seems to me if somebody chooses 2 cds they want it cut into 2 pieces.

Last edited by DDogg; 9th October 2006 at 15:29.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:38   #67  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

"2 CD " "2" is 2 slice of 1400 mb

the first box is the size of each slice, the second box is number of slice

i understand that is confusing...

should first box just used for specifing MB size and second box for number of slice ?

i like user choose media type (cd or dvd) and number of media

opinions ?

BHH

something like this:

Last edited by buzzqw; 9th October 2006 at 15:46.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:52   #68  |  Link
DDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzqw View Post
"2 CD " "2" is 2 slice of 1400 mb

the first box is the size of each slice, the second box is number of slice

i understand that is confusing...

should first box just used for specifing MB size and second box for number of slice ?

i like user choose media type (cd or dvd) and number of media

opinions ?

BHH
Confusing is an understatement When a person chooses 2 cds they are saying they want 2 final files that will burn to 2 cds. If a person chooses 1/3 dvd they want 1 file of 1/3 dvd size. The user should not need to know, or input anything else (imo). It is your call as the author, but I would strongly recommend you consider changing this to be more intuitive and understandable. That is how all the other programs like recode do it, and I think people are used to it being that way.

/add: To provide advanced users with more options you could activate the number of slices IF the user typed in a numeric value NOT already in the dropdown box (or chose "custom")? Else make it grey, or invisible? The custom thing makes sense to me. If a user chose custom then 2 boxes would appear, size and number of slices, else you would automatically create just what they had chosen from the dropdown - 2cds = 2 slices of cd size

Last edited by DDogg; 9th October 2006 at 16:15.
Old 9th October 2006, 18:00   #69  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I hope you don't mind but here's my suggestion for tweeked-up GUI: -

Cheers
Old 9th October 2006, 18:29   #70  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

ok... i'll try...

BHH
Old 9th October 2006, 18:39   #71  |  Link
DDogg

Quote:

ok... i'll try...

BHH
@SMD - Nicely laid out. Very clean and intuitive. Do we share a mutual background in project management - GUI's and usability?

@Buzzqw, we have complete confidence in you! No pressure at all
Old 10th October 2006, 01:59   #72  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

Nice work buzzqw. Keep it up and AutoMKV might replace MeGUI for me (No offense to MeGUI )

1) The "Del Temp Files" doesnt seem to take care of subtitles.
2) Any way of saving settings? I find myself doing the same things over and over again:
  • Set Nero quality to .25
  • Set Nero channels to original
  • Change Resizing to Lanczos4 Resize
  • Change to 1 DVD-R
  • Change Profile to HQ-Slow
  • Advanced Page - Specify Bitrate - 1000
3) I still have a problem where the audio is desynced when the delay is really high (I had one that was 62224) It doesn't seem to compensate that much.
4) Still no option to launch windows minimized They frequently steal focus away while I'm doing other things.

Other than that, the only thing its missing is batch mode. I suppose I could try multiple instances, with different output directories, but I'm not too hip on having multiple encodes going on at once, its not the same thing as batch mode.

agressiv

Last edited by agressiv; 10th October 2006 at 02:40.
Old 10th October 2006, 10:18   #73  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

update www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV24.exe

added: big layout change (my to SeeMoreDigital)
changed: output size management (my to DDogg)

Quote:
1) The "Del Temp Files" doesnt seem to take care of subtitles.
thanks for reporting, fixed in next release

Quote:
2) Any way of saving settings? I find myself doing the same things over and over again:
added in next release

Quote:
3) I still have a problem where the audio is desynced when the delay is really high (I had one that was 62224) It doesn't seem to compensate that much.
sorry pal, but this a problem of your source. I doubt that will be ever fixed. btw is dgindex that report this delay ?

Quote:
4) Still no option to launch windows minimized They frequently steal focus away while I'm doing other things.
sorry, not so easy since i changed the way of lauch... but i will work on it

Quote:
Other than that, the only thing its missing is batch mode.
this is the most difficult task. I don't say no, but...

thanks for your suggestion

BHH
Old 10th October 2006, 15:44   #74  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

Quote:
sorry pal, but this a problem of your source. I doubt that will be ever fixed. btw is dgindex that report this delay ?
dgindex *does* report the delay.

If I manually compensate in the mkv gui muxer, all is well. Its just such a high value that AutoMKV doesn't seem to go that high. MeGUI doesn't either (5000 seems to be the limit)

Thanks for your work on this, I'll check out the new release now!

agressiv
Old 10th October 2006, 16:15   #75  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

is this file trasferible ? aka could you post a link to download ( or PM me)

BHH
Old 11th October 2006, 01:22   #76  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

Quote:
is this file trasferible ? aka could you post a link to download ( or PM me)
ehh, its over 3gb in size or so, not really worth it. I can just manually mux the audio myself, this is a rare condition.

agressiv
Old 11th October 2006, 15:36   #77  |  Link
DDogg

Hi buzzqw, you must have put in a lot of time to change the GUI. I am still getting used to it, but it seems clean and well thought out.

The size thing is still confusing, imo. The way SMD suggested would work well. If you are going to have a custom selection, then suggest you open both size and slices boxes. That is, if custom is chosen then the user would see Custom, Size, slices. Else, my personal opinion is to go with SMD's suggestion. Both are intuitive, but the present way you have done custom is not, imo.

Others may feel differently, maybe the way my mind works is the problem.

Great progress!

/add: About the batch thing. It might be easier for you to think about doing a semi auto method of batch. That is, the user would do all the steps, including auto res, etc. At that stage they could chooses to begin encoding or defer it to a batch worklist. I suggest this because this would give you a situation where you had already created all your final batchfiles and scripts. Just a thought.

Last edited by DDogg; 11th October 2006 at 17:43.
Old 11th October 2006, 21:54   #78  |  Link
fenomeno83

Exsume me:I want rip my dvd in h264/aac.I want get a final file with a video and audio(5.1) quality similar to original dvd.Witch setting must I use?For me isn't important the final dimension of file.I prefer quality to speed (prefer encoding very slow but a better quality)
Old 11th October 2006, 23:06   #79  |  Link
MiGster

New with autoMKV

I have a lot of DVD's rip to hard drive in IFO/VOB format. When I go to INPUT in AutoMKV (AM) I find I have to chose the video.ifo file because if I pick the first VOB file in the group DGIndex only sees the first VOB file and none of the rest. I've tried highlighting all the VOB's but I can only highlight one. In some of the other GUI's picking the first VOB brings them all over into DGIndex...atleast I'm pretty sure. If I pick the ifo file DGIndex doesn't run right and tells me to check my PIDS or something like that. Then I have to tell DGIndex to add the VOB's manually and it lets me highlight all of them then it runs the d2v file and AM continues on it merry way. Am I missing something here at the input stage? I am pretty green at this and still learning. I usually use Recode but the newest version is pretty FUBAR so I'm trying AM.
Old 11th October 2006, 23:54   #80  |  Link
DDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenomeno83 View Post
Exsume me:I want rip my dvd in h264/aac.I want get a final file with a video and audio(5.1) quality similar to original dvd.Witch setting must I use?For me isn't important the final dimension of file.I prefer quality to speed (prefer encoding very slow but a better quality)
You have not mentioned the speed of your PC that will be used for encoding and for playback here or in the other thread.

As for your question, I can only answer what I would do and not try to make your decision for you. Only you can do that and suggest you do some actual encodes before asking too many more questions. Here are a few things to try and then YOU can report back to the group on your findings.

My DVDs are encoded to my home server and are not constrained to a certain size. I retain the AC3 as there is no compelling reason for me to convert to AAC. I use the MKV format with x264 video. As mentioned in the other thread, generally the method of encoding uses the CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf) profile.

The reason for this is CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf) profile is a constant quality mode which will automatically allocate more bits to more complex areas and the file size will be just as large, or small, as it needs to be depending on how complex the source is. So, at least try that method first and see if you can see any difference whatsoever between the encode and the original source.

If you are not happy with the encode THEN you could go into the profiles\x264 profiles folder and make a copy of the CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf) profile and rename it CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf-15) profile. Open that file for editing and change the <BitrateQuantizer>18</BitrateQuantizer> to <BitrateQuantizer>15</BitrateQuantizer> and try that new profile as your encoding profile. Filesize will increase ~ 50%. Wasteful perhaps, but something for you to try, as is the companion CQ-Lossless profile.

Or, you could simply use one of the 2 pass modes, maybe
HQ slow, and allocate a silly amount of space like 1/2 DVD. According the the x264 author, you might get better bitrate allocation from the 2 pass mode, but imo this is not as important for your situation as you mentioned you are not concerned about final size.

Also try the use of custom matrices. Try eqm_avc_hr as your first.

There is no best and only method, especially when filesize is not an issue. In the end it is your decision.

Let us know how your first encodes turn out. I think you will be highly surprised how good they are.

Last edited by DDogg; 12th October 2006 at 00:03.
Closed Thread