Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th June 2012, 19:40   #11321  |  Link
ontherocks

I have GeForce GT520.
mpc-hc.1.6.3.4992.x86
LAVFilters-0.50.5
Having problem bitstreaming DD+ tracks via HDMI. There is no audio.
Sample audio link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?a3x0q52bg1av33m
ontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 19:54   #11322  |  Link
dansrfe

@ nevcairiel and anyone else you can help me understand what exactly is going on

http://s13.postimage.org/u7erxxvwl/graphs.png

This is a screenshot of my CPU, System RAM, GPU, Video RAM, and I/O graphs along with madVR's OSD while playing a 1080p 10bit file and upscaling it to 2016 x 1134 in windowed mode (I couldn't take a screenshot in exclusive mode but in reality I upscale it to the full resolution of my monitor which is 2048 x 1152 @ 60Hz). Basically I'm dropping frames whether I upscale it to 1152p60 or play it at output 1080p24 on my other screen. It doesn't look like a decoding problem since the queue is full but I can't tell.

The only items in my filter chain are MPC-HC, madVR, LAV Filters. LAV has been set to CPU decoding. All of them are at the latest version. CPU: C2D @ 2.66Ghz. RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz.

I can't figure out why my GPU cannot upscale to 2048 x 1152 with anything other (higher quality) than bilinear. Currently I'm using SoftCubic 50 for chroma and Spline 3 taps for luma up/down scaling.

Thanks.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 20:39   #11323  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@dansrfe
Reduce queue size in madVR options, because all your gpu memory is used and that may cause dropped frames.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 22:14   #11324  |  Link
Pat357

Nev,

I have a strange problem with lavfilters, probably related to the LAVsplitter.
I created a .m2v file from my .avs script using Hank's HC MPEG2 encoder.

The file has 165350 frames, but when I use LAVsplitter, I can not seek above frame 85907. The slider from MPC-HC is then completely to the right.

When I just change the splitter to MPC-HC's internal, I don't have this problem (ie I CAN seek to the end at frame 165350).

This is the info from LAVsplitter :

Filter : LAV Splitter Source - CLSID : {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}

- Connected to:

CLSID: {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
Filter: LAV Video Decoder
Pin: Input

- Connection media type:

Video: MPEG2 Video 720x576 (16:9) 25fps 9300kbps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO {E06D8026-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
formattype: FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO {E06D80E3-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
bFixedSizeSamples: 0
bTemporalCompression: 1
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 282

VIDEOINFOHEADER:
rcSource: (0,0)-(720,576)
rcTarget: (0,0)-(720,576)
dwBitRate: 9300000
dwBitErrorRate: 0
AvgTimePerFrame: 400000

I've a possible explanation for this : LAVsplitter calculates the length of the movie using the bitrate 9300.
This is the max. bit rate i had set (max. for DVD player compatibility), the video is 2 pass with an average from 4832 or something like that.
This would explain this behavior.

I guess MediaInfo and also the internal MPC-splitter somehow figure out the total nr. of frames and multiply this by the frame-time (file is CFR).

This is what MediaInfo says :

Algemeen
Volledige naam : K:\film\limitedsharpen_met_MC'd_FFT3dfilter_via_MVTools20.m2v
Formaat : MPEG Video
Formaatversie : Version 2
Bestandsgrootte : 3,72 GiB
Duur : 1h 50mn
Totale bitratemodus : Variabel
Totale bitrate : 4 832 Kbps

Video
Formaat : MPEG Video
Formaatversie : Version 2
Formaatprofiel : Main@Main
Formaatinstellingen, BVOP : Ja
Formaatinstellingen, Matrix : Aangepast
Duur : 1h 50mn
Bitrate-modus : Variabel
Bitrate : 4 832 Kbps
Maximale bitrate : 9 300 Kbps
Breedte : 720 pixels
Hoogte : 576 pixels
Beeldverhouding : 16:9
Framerate : 25,000 fps
Standaard : PAL
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bits
Scansoort : Progressief
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.466
Stroomgrootte : 3,72 GiB (100%)

Any idea how to fix this ?

PS : neither FFmpeg is able to determine the movie length : estimation based on bit rate (9300) : gives wrong duration.

Last edited by Pat357; 16th June 2012 at 22:32. Reason: typo's fixed
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 06:24   #11325  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
The file has 165350 frames, but when I use LAVsplitter, I can not seek above frame 85907. The slider from MPC-HC is then completely to the right
Can you create a small file that demonstrates the problem?
No sample, no fixings. :d
Old 17th June 2012, 14:36   #11326  |  Link
ipanema

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
As far as i know, you can't just use the MS Demultiplexer, you need an application to properly configure it for usage, so i cannot really test it unless you tell me which application you're using specifically.
While you're at it, providing a sample file that causes such a crash will greatly help to analyse and fix the problem.
The demux is part of a test environment here, so not possible to extract anything that would demonstrate the problem, without writing a new standalone program. So I guess we will have to park this for now.

Interestingly the example DS decode filter that is supplied with Intel Media SDK works fine, as do other decoders.
ipanema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 15:03   #11327  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Well if you cant give me anything to work with, i'm afraid i cannot help you.
For crashes, its crucial to be able to reproduce them, or fixing them is nearly impossible.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 17th June 2012 at 15:26.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 16:51   #11328  |  Link
ipanema

Quote:
Well if you cant give me anything to work with, i'm afraid i cannot help you.
For crashes, its crucial to be able to reproduce them, or fixing them is nearly impossible.
I understand and that's OK. We can carry on using other decoders as before. I wasn't sure whether the offset value alone would lead to the problem, so thought it worth mentioning.
ipanema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 17:16   #11329  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
@dansrfe
Reduce queue size in madVR options, because all your gpu memory is used and that may cause dropped frames.
Well that definitely worked. No frame drops or delays and even skipping back and forth is much snappier and smoother now. New queue sizes are pretty low but if that's what it takes then I guess I'll have to stick with it.

New queue sizes: 8/4/4/4

Thanks kasper93!
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 18:19   #11330  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Can you create a small file that demonstrates the problem?
No sample, no fixings. :d
Here's a small sample showing the problem :

http://www.mediafire.com/?uhpcg79jq7efzi7
Old 17th June 2012, 19:43   #11331  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Here's a small sample showing the problem :

http://www.mediafire.com/?uhpcg79jq7efzi7
Which filter exactly you said produced the correct duration?
I can't seem to get the internal MPC-HC splitter to take over, and the fallback Microsoft splitter reports the same duration as LAV. (19 seconds for that file)

Sadly there is no functionality in place yet to actually measure the bitrate of a file and produce a duration based on that, but i suppose its a possiblity for the future.
I tried something quick and dirty, and it took reading until nearly half the file until the bitrate was accurate enough to calculate the duration properly (about 10MB in this case)

I would generally recommend to store it in an actual container format, instead of full raw video.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 17th June 2012 at 20:00.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 02:33   #11332  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Which filter exactly you said produced the correct duration?
I can't seem to get the internal MPC-HC splitter to take over, and the fallback Microsoft splitter reports the same duration as LAV. (19 seconds for that file)

Sadly there is no functionality in place yet to actually measure the bitrate of a file and produce a duration based on that, but i suppose its a possiblity for the future.
I tried something quick and dirty, and it took reading until nearly half the file until the bitrate was accurate enough to calculate the duration properly (about 10MB in this case)

I would generally recommend to store it in an actual container format, instead of full raw video.
What exactly should I store in the container ? Does an .MPG container (or .VOB) even have a field to store it ?
What about MKVmerge (MKV) or MP4Box(MP4) ? Where can I put what information ?

I must admit it was not the MPC-HC MPEG splitter that gave me correct durations : it's the MediaConcept MPEG demuxer that allows me to seek to the end...
Any idea how they do it ?

Also MediaInfo seems to be able to determine the movie length.
It displays both the average bit-rate and the max bitrate.

I gonna test with other mpeg-splitters too : cyberlink, arcsoft,.... and see what comes out.

Last edited by Pat357; 18th June 2012 at 02:42.
Old 18th June 2012, 06:59   #11333  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
What exactly should I store in the container ? Does an .MPG container (or .VOB) even have a field to store it ?
What about MKVmerge (MKV) or MP4Box(MP4) ? Where can I put what information ?
Its simple MPEG2 video, you can store it in most containers available. MPEG-PS (.mpg/.vob) is one of the options, and it contains full timestamps which makes duration and seeking much easier. Of course you can also go with MKV or MP4 if you want.

The main problem with raw video (without a container around it) is that you can't know how many frames a file contains without counting them (or if you have CBR), so anything you try will be guesswork, accuracy depending on how much data/effort you put into it.
Old 19th June 2012, 06:58   #11334  |  Link
ajp_anton

For seeking in raw video, would it be possible to just go by filesize instead of actual duration?
Don't know if the media player can show the current location correctly, but at least when seeking, maybe you could just jump to x% of the filesize and return the next available frame.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 18:25   #11335  |  Link
ney2x

I just found out that there is a MPC-HC Lite here , without Internal Filters. I hope someone will build a MPC-HC Lite with integrated LAV Filters only... xD
ney2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 10:57   #11336  |  Link
DeadlyEmbrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ney2x View Post
I just found out that there is a MPC-HC Lite here , without Internal Filters. I hope someone will build a MPC-HC Lite with integrated LAV Filters only... xD
That would be really cool, although I think I prefer it when the filters are external. Makes it a lot easier to update the separate pieces.
DeadlyEmbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 12:06   #11337  |  Link
kitame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyEmbrace View Post
That would be really cool, although I think I prefer it when the filters are external. Makes it a lot easier to update the separate pieces.
how about having it work like an external plugin? where replacing some of the files updates it without issues.

i think its a good idea imho, with this the player can be fine-tuned to work perfectly with LAVs and the simplicity of updating it would be a plus.
kitame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 14:12   #11338  |  Link
DeadlyEmbrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitame View Post
how about having it work like an external plugin? where replacing some of the files updates it without issues.

i think its a good idea imho, with this the player can be fine-tuned to work perfectly with LAVs and the simplicity of updating it would be a plus.

That would be awesome, but I fear it will require quite a bit of work. If I have some free time I might start looking into it, although I can't promise anything.
DeadlyEmbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 14:33   #11339  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitame View Post
How about you make patch for MPC-HC? I guess many people likes idea of integrating LAVF into MPC-HC, but till someone make a patch we will not have it. And it's wrong thread for that discussion.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 18:13   #11340  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Idea about integrating LAV and MPC-HC is around for a long time. AFAIR even before LAV was released to the public. Year? Or more already? While its a not bad idea, we still need someone to actually code it. Right now there is no developers that can do it.
Personally I like it how it is now. MPC-HC lite and separate LAV. Instead I still have hope that nev will find some time/motivation to add avisynth support to LAV, which uses avisynth api to load scripts. I still think this is the best middle-ground between those who wants filters in LAV, and those who against it.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter