Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 21st March 2002, 05:29   #1  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Alternative Crop Filter?

Perhaps I'm just lazy, but I'd like to see an alternative crop filter.

Currently crop uses the following parameters "xofs,yofs,width,height". It would be nice if it would instead use "left-crop,top-crop,right-crop,bottom-crop", make it a bit more like virtual dub, so you can just type in VDub values instead of doing the bit of math in your head.
Old 21st March 2002, 05:55   #2  |  Link
trbarry

Somebody could probably even modify the same one to take negative values for the 3rd & 4th parm to mean crops instead of sizes.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2002, 01:01   #3  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Done :)

I know it's customary these days to write plugin DLLs instead of updating the source on the CVS server, but for this sort of mod I had little choice. As you might expect it took infinitely more time to get everything set up than it did to write the 5 extra lines of code. In particular,

(1) the files as I got them off Sourceforge apparently were subjected to an extra "Unix -> DOS" conversion: newlines were marked by [0x0d 0x0d 0x0a] instead of [0x0d 0x0a], making things quite hard to read

(2) the ASM file needed a way to get built & linked; VS won't do it automatically, apparently

I hesitate to call my workarounds for these issues true fixes, but they're included in the source package anyway - have a look if you care.

Note: project & solution files are for VS.NET. I can post a walkthrough of the edits I made in case anyone wants to duplicate them in VC6.

ftp://anonymous@richardberg.net:2281...nth_binary.rar

ftp://anonymous@richardberg.net:2281...nth_source.rar

Last edited by Richard Berg; 25th March 2002 at 01:03.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2002, 03:29   #4  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Showing nothing in the RAr. Attach to a message and send me a pm so I can validate it quickly. Edit: come to think of it I'll bet you are using a later version of rar than I so disregard unless somebody else has problems. Zips are good as the version never changes
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2002, 04:21   #5  |  Link
trbarry

Richard -

Nifty. You would not believe how many times I've considered doing that and then been too lazy. Nice to see you over here on Doom9 for a change.

Is the Sourceforge project going to need VS7? I really didn't want to spend the money to upgrade.

- Tom
Old 25th March 2002, 05:14   #6  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Given that there are no less than 4 threads on this topic on the first page, perhaps the new behavior should be the default? I.e., negative numbers => old syntax with width/height. Couldn't exactly make that decision myself, though...who's in charge of the Avisynth project, anyway?

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to "save as" VS6 files in VS7, and I'm definitely not going back to the old IDE. (If anything, I need to get off my lazy butt and install the final version - still using Beta 2.) The source should be 100% compatible, though the new compiler (hopefully) will produce faster binaries.

DDog - I have RAR as a very convenient shell extension, and it seems to compress significantly better than Zip. Don't worry though, if I ever post anything to Sourceforge or something more public than Doom9 it'll be in a more "standard" format.

Last edited by Richard Berg; 25th March 2002 at 05:18.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2002, 06:07   #7  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
Given that there are no less than 4 threads on this topic on the first page, perhaps the new behavior should be the default?
Richard -

I'm afraid I'm of the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" school on that one. There are a few utilities and a whole number of people who already expect it as it is. So it might not be a good idea to change it. But I could live with it either way if everyone else wanted it. And it is certainly not up to me anyway.

- Tom