Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 20th January 2004, 19:11   #1  |  Link
Defben

Elta 8883: image display +stability WTF ?

Hi,

I receivd a 8883 a few days ago and I am not that impressed with stability! Most of my movies play ok but:

-CDs with any sort of srcatch plays very badly
-CDRW I tried played very badly (more testint to be done)
-VCD I tried was very bad as well (played fine on my other player)
-Divx I encoded myself wasn't very fluid and would not read past 58th minute...

Well, I still don't know if my player has a problem or if out of bad luck I only tried formats that the player does not like. But not a good start!!

but most importantly, I realised by switching the zoom level that the image showing on my TV is not the full image!
Some of the 4 sides get cut out! as if the image was displayed with some sort of permanent zoom! I probably lose about 10-20% of the image!

Does this happen to anyone else ? How can it be fixed ?

PS: happen on AVIs, not sure about DVDs.

Thanks

XP SP1 / DX9
BSplayer 0.86 B497
AC3Filter 0.68b
Defben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2004, 20:22   #2  |  Link
Zhnujm

Re: Elta 8883: image display +stability WTF ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Defben

but most importantly, I realised by switching the zoom level that the image showing on my TV is not the full image!
Some of the 4 sides get cut out! as if the image was displayed with some sort of permanent zoom! I probably lose about 10-20% of the image!
In most cases this is just the overscan area of your tv. Especially old TVs have huge overscan areas.
From capturing the output of the elta with a pc i would say it cut off up to 8 pixels from the sides (720xXXX).
Zhnujm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2004, 20:49   #3  |  Link
Defben

Hmmm not sure that is the answer. My TV is only 3 years old it is a toshiba 21 inches. Nothing flash, but not old! And I think it takes more then that out it is more like an inch on each side! AND the setting menus and stuff are full screen!

XP SP1 / DX9
BSplayer 0.86 B497
AC3Filter 0.68b
Defben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2004, 21:49   #4  |  Link
manono

Hi-

An inch from each side is still only about 10% and, although a bit high, can still be accounted for by the TV's overscan. So Zhnujm's right. If you can get into the service menu, you might be able to adjust it so there's less overscan.

Last edited by manono; 21st January 2004 at 14:46.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 12:59   #5  |  Link
manzu68

According to the user manual in the tv display settings Elta 8883 has three options.
1: Normal/PS
2: Normal/LB
3: Wide

If you read the descrption for the first two you wouldn't find anny differences. By changing the options, nothing changes on the display. I thought PS and LB is not the same. Have I missed something here or has Elta? Anyway the player cut off the first word of the subtitle on each line of my avi. I enoded subtitle placed left.
Elta 8883 doesn't seems to support any kind of subtitle (not even selectable subs in SVCD) but those of DVD.
manzu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 15:10   #6  |  Link
Zhnujm

Normal/PS can only be used if the DVD has a Pan&Scan track. Its used to zoom the picture to 4:3 and keep the most important place of the picture in center.
VERY few DVD support that feature so its no wonder that it does not make a difference to Normal/LB.
Zhnujm is offline   Reply With Quote