Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th September 2012, 17:14   #14261  |  Link
nlnl

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
madshi
When I try to switch Film-> Video (23hz -> 59 hz) using Cntrl+Alt+Sh+T I get red message resetting Direct3D device failed (8876086c).
Log and freeze report: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43376972/LOG%20MADVR.zip
Thanks!
I've changed something to improve this. Could you please retest with the next build, once it's released? Thanks.
madshi
I (83.6, ATI, FSE mode) tried switch Film-> Video mode (23hz -> 59 hz) using Cntrl+Alt+Sh+T.
If I do Film -> Video -> Film -> Video video stops and audio is going on (sometimes audio stuttres).
Please have a look
Thank you!
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 17:23   #14262  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Argh. I had this on my PC, too, once or twice. But then when I tried to reproduce it, it didn't occur, anymore at all. Can you please try this with this ZP special build:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104094858/zplayer_madExcept2.rar
If the same crash occurs, you should be able to create a crash report now. When the crash box appears, simply press "Ctrl+C" to copy the crash report to the clipboard, then upload it somewhere. It might help to reproduce this crash maybe 3x and upload 3 crash reports, just in case. The one and only time I managed to do that on my own PC with ZP, the crash report wasn't too helpful, that's why I'm asking for 3.
Re-madshi,
All good! 0.83.7 fixed the issue (the ZP access violation).
I'm guessing that "madVR once again waits for D3D to be fully finalized" is what makes the difference.
So thank you again very much, all is now working as fast as it ever was (if not faster) without any bugs.
Old 28th September 2012, 17:26   #14263  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetajhu View Post
Hi Madshi, "Windowed Overlay mode" is not applying monitor color profile during Window mode. But works in fullscreen(exclusive). Also my Spyder is not able to apply the color profiles when in Window mode only to the video!
It's a known problem that Overlay does not apply the monitor color profile. There's currently no solution, other than disabling Overlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomanci View Post
Hi, since v0.83 (all versions), with PotPlayer and any video file, using FSE works until moving the mouse to see the seekbar, in wich case it switches to windowed mode. Also the "wait 3 sec..." for FSE doesn't work, it enters directly. One other thing i have since v82.5 is an image freeze (sound plays) when trying to use FSE, when switching the player from windowed to fullscreen (like 1 out of 5 tries). Only ctrl+alt+del on PotPlayer works. But makes me think it's hardware related . I have an 8800gt, win 7 and AMD AthlonII-240. I have no errors popping up.
Please don't post 5 different problems in one paragraph. It makes me all dizzy. One problem at a time, please.

Quote:
Hi, since v0.83 (all versions), with PotPlayer and any video file, using FSE works until moving the mouse to see the seekbar, in wich case it switches to windowed mode.
This did not happen in older madVR versions? Are you sure? PotPlayer has some options that control whether the PotPlayer GUI is drawn via madVR APIs or via normal windows. Depending on how you setup PotPlayer, madVR may have to leave FSE mode when the PotPlayer seekbar is shown. But I'm not sure why there should be a difference between v0.83.x and older madVR versions.

Quote:
Also the "wait 3 sec..." for FSE doesn't work, it enters directly.
Is that a new problem with v0.83.7 or did that occur with older versions, too? Generally, that 3 sec wait is only done in certain situations, not always. So it may be intentional. E.g. if a "file open" dialog or context menu is displayed, the 3 sec wait should be active. However, if a seekbar is shown and then hidden, depending on how the seekbar is drawn, the 3 sec wait may be skipped, intentionally.

Quote:
One other thing i have since v82.5 is an image freeze (sound plays) when trying to use FSE, when switching the player from windowed to fullscreen (like 1 out of 5 tries). Only ctrl+alt+del on PotPlayer works. But makes me think it's hardware related . I have an 8800gt, win 7 and AMD AthlonII-240. I have no errors popping up.
Does that still happen with v0.83.7? Which was the last madVR version this did not happen? In this situation when the image is frozen, please press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break, wait 20 seconds, then terminate PotPlayer and upload the freeze report text file (you will hopefully find on your desktop) somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
madshi
I (83.6, ATI, FSE mode) tried switch Film-> Video mode (23hz -> 59 hz) using Cntrl+Alt+Sh+T.
If I do Film -> Video -> Film -> Video video stops and audio is going on (sometimes audio stuttres).
Please have a look
Please test with v0.83.7. Is the issue still there? If the video stops, does your media player still react to your commands? E.g. can you leave FSE mode, close the media player normally? Or do you have to use the task manager to close the media player? In the first case a debug log might be helpful. In the latter case a freeze report (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break) would be helpful. But all with v0.83.7, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Re-madshi,
All good! 0.83.7 fixed the issue (the ZP access violation).
I'm guessing that "madVR once again waits for D3D to be fully finalized" is what makes the difference.
So thank you again very much, all is now working as fast as it ever was (if not faster) without any bugs.
Great - thanks for some positive news! That's really nice, in between those millions of frustrating bug reports...

Last edited by madshi; 28th September 2012 at 17:28.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 17:30   #14264  |  Link
vomanci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuj View Post
You should try to provide a log file.
Here is the log, but i couldn't replicate the hanging picture bug. Using latest version of Madvr.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5a7g7c

Quote:
This did not happen in older madVR versions? Are you sure? PotPlayer has some options that control whether the PotPlayer GUI is drawn via madVR APIs or via normal windows. Depending on how you setup PotPlayer, madVR may have to leave FSE mode when the PotPlayer seekbar is shown. But I'm not sure why there should be a difference between v0.83.x and older madVR versions.
If i enabled something in PotPlayer, i can't find what. I have this problem since 0.83

Quote:
Is that a new problem with v0.83.7 or did that occur with older versions, too? Generally, that 3 sec wait is only done in certain situations, not always. So it may be intentional. E.g. if a "file open" dialog or context menu is displayed, the 3 sec wait should be active. However, if a seekbar is shown and then hidden, depending on how the seekbar is drawn, the 3 sec wait may be skipped, intentionally.
So, when switching from windowed to fullscreen (in player) it enters directly in FSE. If i right click to exit FSE, after 3 sec it enters FSE normal. It is a new problem since v0.83.

Quote:
Does that still happen with v0.83.7? Which was the last madVR version this did not happen? In this situation when the image is frozen, please press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break, wait 20 seconds, then terminate PotPlayer and upload the freeze report text file (you will hopefully find on your desktop) somewhere.
I tied after installing 0.83.7 this "bug" end got it at the first windowed->fullscreen switch but couldn't reproduce it afterwards. I'll keep trying and post a report if i have one. This happened since i first installed madVR (v0.82.4 i think).

Last edited by vomanci; 28th September 2012 at 18:08.
vomanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 17:43   #14265  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Hmmmm... According to the debug log, it's not really the backbuffers which are the problem. The problem is that sometimes the VSync thread (which in windowed mode also does the presentation) doesn't get CPU time for looong periods of time. E.g. the one frame drop I just looked at occurred because the VSync thread didn't get CPU time for 111ms. As a result frames had to be dropped. And when frames have to be dropped in windowed mode, the backbuffer queue is cleared and refilled. That's why it looked like the backbuffer queue were the problem, but it's not. I don't kow why the VSync thread sometimes doesn't get CPU time. The thread is running at THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL!!
I have my Windowed flush settings set as follows:
Backbuffers = 4
Intermediate Render Steps = Don't Flush
Last Render Step = Flush
Copy to Backbuffer = Flush & Wait (Loop)
After D3D Presentation = Flush & Wait (Loop)

I have my FSE flush settings set as follows:
Presented in Advance = 12
Intermediate Render Steps = Don't Flush
Last Render Step = Don't Flush
Copy to Backbuffer = Don't Flush
After D3D Presentation = Don't Flush

So the Windowed VSync thread becomes semi-deadlocked until madVR is exited, while FSE continues to be fine? What would explain lowering the backbuffer queue to 1 or 2 restoring Windowed VSync to normal functioning, while 3+ remained broken? Could it have something to do with the Flush & Wait (Loop) threads?

I first noticed it in 0.83.5, but since it doesn't always occur, I don't know for sure if that's the first build. I'll roll back to 0.83.4 for awhile and see what happens.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 19:43   #14266  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Interesting. I don't see much in the source code changes between those 2 version that would explain the problem. Anyway. Do you have Aero on or off? Have you configured madVR to switch Aero off in fullscreen? How about the display mode changer? Is it activated? And maybe turned on to switch display modes when you enter fullscreen? Trying to figure out how to reproduce the problem here, because right now I don't seem to be able to...
No display mode switching.
No Reclock
Aero is on.

I usually use LAV for decoder for most content I play, but the problem can be reproduced with MPC-HC and current version of MadVR with default settings on both. Only changes being:
  • Change MPC-HC to use MadVR for renderer (of course).
  • Turn off automatic full screen exclusive mode on MadVR.

Edit: I've obtained a copy of MadVR 0.82(.0) and the issue is there, making that the first version it appears in.

Last edited by nx6; 29th September 2012 at 00:54.
nx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 01:27   #14267  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
This is basically what I'm doing:
Code:
If TaskbarThumbnails <> nil then Try TaskbarThumbnails.Thumbnails[tnvPlay].ImageIndex := tniPlay; Except End;
That's the only place that I change the icons during a load, is that not enough?

Also, what nx6 is reporting *might* (not sure) be an issue with windows showing an an-cleared back-buffer for a split-second and may only be visible if Aero is enabled.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:01   #14268  |  Link
oddball

I'm having an issue whereby the video will randomly (like maybe once every few hours of playing various videos) that the video stops on a frame and the audio keeps playing. If I try to pause, unpause, FF or RW it makes no difference to the video being stuck on the exact same frame but the audio is changing in the background.

Not sure where the problem lies as it's not doing it all of the time so it's hard to troubleshoot. I don't know if it's MadVR or something that comes before it in the chain like MPC-HC, LAV splitter and decoders as well as ReClock.

Anyone else had this issue and know what is causing it?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 06:21   #14269  |  Link
dansrfe

madVR v0.83.7 is super stable for me now. I think it's twice to three times as fast as the previous versions. I bumped up luma upscaling and downscaling to Spline 3 taps going from 1080p -> 2048 x 1152 and it fills up the queues. I'm amazed.

Thanks madshi!
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 07:16   #14270  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
Also, what nx6 is reporting *might* (not sure) be an issue with windows showing an an-cleared back-buffer for a split-second and may only be visible if Aero is enabled.
I changed to one of the "high contrast" (non transparent) desktop themes and it still happens. Is there someplace I need to go to make sure Aero is not being used?
Old 29th September 2012, 08:36   #14271  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Ok, thanks, this way I was able to reproduce a problem. Basically the image source reports a runtime of zero, and when trying to show the fullscreen exclusive seekbar I divided by the runtime, so there was a division by zero crash. Should be fixed in the next build.
Tested 0.83.7, the problem has been fixed.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 13:15   #14272  |  Link
nlnl

Quote:
Quote:
madshi
i (83.6, ati, fse mode) tried switch film-> video mode (23hz -> 59 hz) using cntrl+alt+sh+t.
If i do film -> video -> film -> video video stops and audio is going on (sometimes audio stuttres).
Please have a look
please test with v0.83.7. Is the issue still there? If the video stops, does your media player still react to your commands? E.g. Can you leave fse mode, close the media player normally? Or do you have to use the task manager to close the media player? In the first case a debug log might be helpful. In the latter case a freeze report (ctrl+alt+shift+break) would be helpful. But all with v0.83.7, please.
madshi
With 83.7 video does not stop.
But when switching Film - Video - Film (23->59->23), madvr starts dropping frames (queues are full) and dtshd audio starts stuttering.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 15:25   #14273  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
I first noticed it in 0.83.5, but since it doesn't always occur, I don't know for sure if that's the first build. I'll roll back to 0.83.4 for awhile and see what happens.
Reproduced it in 0.83.4, so now I'll try 0.83.3

Edit: Reproduced it in 0.83.3, so now I'll try 0.83.2
Edit: Reproduced it in 0.83.2, so now I'll try 0.83.1
Edit: So far, it doesn't seem to occur in 0.83.1, but I'll continue testing over the next couple days to make sure.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 29th September 2012 at 15:42.
Old 29th September 2012, 15:43   #14274  |  Link
dansrfe

madshi,

Is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts that madVR has somewhere? I would really like to be able to reference something since it seems like I bump into a new one every other day.

Thanks!
Old 29th September 2012, 15:54   #14275  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts that madVR has somewhere?
The changelog.txt contains all the keyboard shortcuts if you search through it.

I believe the following is an up-to-date list:

Enable OSD - Ctrl+J
Reset OSD Statistics - Ctrl+R
Gamma Curve type - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C
Increase Gamma - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+G
Decrease Gamma - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+B
Source Primaries - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P
Decoding Matrix - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M
Input Video Levels - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I
Output Display Levels - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Y
Deinterlacing - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D
Deinterlacing Field Order - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F
Deinterlacing Mode - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T
Freeze Report - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break
Old 29th September 2012, 16:06   #14276  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:

Enable OSD - Ctrl+J
Awesome! I probably should have searched for them in the changelog before asking

Thanks!
Old 29th September 2012, 16:14   #14277  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

could someone please add this^^ to the OP or the first posts after? easy to find then.
Old 29th September 2012, 18:13   #14278  |  Link
detmek

Just to say that madVR 0.83.7 is working very good and stable, much like 0.82.5. No performace loss or other problems. Thanks Madshi.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 18:37   #14279  |  Link
secvensor

Quote:

Enable OSD - Ctrl+J
6(3x2)GB Transcend 1426MHz
RoyalHD (64MB)[Solo6c][JPLAY]/HD7850DC22GD5V2[EIZOT965]
Seasonic X-750
VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX/16TB_STORE
secvensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 18:48   #14280  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

nx6:
You can try searching through the windows start button for "adjust the appearance and performance for windows" and then unchecking "Enable Desktop Composition" (this is Aero) and "use visual styles on windows and buttons" (this is the WinXP+ skinning).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling