Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 6th July 2008, 12:38   #1  |  Link
CleftyInTwain

Can't get my head around this...Job Anyone?

Not quitting here (well maybe), but I think in life one needs to know ones limitations, and all I can I can say is that I dont have a clue, and reading the tutorials has made no difference to my getting a grasp on using this AVISynth tool at all.

Now I would appreciate it if people didn't reply by trying walk me through the process....as I am done with that now. I never had much hair to start with, and extra clumps are now missing from trying to do just the basics. Maybe its just my age....or just an AVISynth mid-life crisis, but I have just come off the back of waiting for a company up north here (who took a fairly large sum of money from me) to do in 4 months what they promised to do in 2-4 weeks, and have turned what should been a straight forward remastering of my Great Grandfathers old VHS wartime footage into a massacre of the source material. To say I am hacked off is an understatement, but I was brought to AVIsynth because I was told that with it, anything was possible, and I live in hope that someone can kindly help me out.

I am asking if anyone wants a job basically, because I do not have the time or inclination now to sit another week and try and make some progress learning this utility when so much time has already been lost. All I want is some AVI's cleaned up and sharped and it doesn't seem like much to ask seeing what everyone else is doing, but for that firm I obviously asking too much! As you can appreciate, I can't sit and go through 67,000 frames per AVI manually clean each one....that will take me up to retirement age.

Anyone interested, please feel free to email me or post here.

Thanks for your time reading this request.

Kindest Regards

Nate

Last edited by CleftyInTwain; 6th July 2008 at 12:39. Reason: Spelling
CleftyInTwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 12:45   #2  |  Link
R3Z
Silver Über Alles

I am interested to be honest. I always wanted to clean up something that actually means something to someone.

I am sure other will be interested too. If you can post a sample of say 1 minute long it would be great to see what can be done.

Feel free to PM me.
R3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 12:47   #3  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Not quitting here (well maybe), but I think in life one needs to know ones limitations, and all I can I can say is that I dont have a clue, and reading the tutorials has made no difference to my getting a grasp on using this AVISynth tool at all.
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/cap..._avisynth.html should get you starting (assuming you have AviSynth v2.5.7 installed) with the basics.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 13:19   #4  |  Link
CleftyInTwain

Thanks for the swift replies !

Wilbert...sorry...didn't really understand much of that.....but thanks anyway.

R3Z....will PM immediately, thanks for the offer & will discuss.
Old 6th July 2008, 18:29   #5  |  Link
CleftyInTwain

As requested...here is a 1 minute from the footage. The tape has been darkened by the poor process done on it, and it now has numerous horizontal 'tram lines' going across it, as if it has been run over a very bad VCR head.

http://www.badongo.com/vid/790738

<a href="http://www.badongo.com/vid/790738" target="_blank">Photo Sharing and File Hosting at Badongo.com</a>

Thanks to anyone who thinks they can solve any of these issues, clear up the dirt, or even write clear instructions on how I can.

Regards

Nate

Last edited by CleftyInTwain; 6th July 2008 at 18:32.
Old 6th July 2008, 21:10   #6  |  Link

Do you still have the tape? You may be better off re-capturing with a better process.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 22:13   #7  |  Link
CleftyInTwain

Hi Neuron2,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yep, I still have the VHS, and its still miles better than than the clip in many respects. Can you suggest a better method/organisation for doing such work with a better process? My knowledge is limited, and any advise greatly appreciated. How would you go about it, for instance?

Thank you for your time

Nate

Last edited by CleftyInTwain; 6th July 2008 at 22:14. Reason: Spelling
Old 6th July 2008, 22:30   #8  |  Link

The simplest thing would be to buy a good quality DVD recorder and just record it directly to a DVD in the highest quality mode. You could them import the material into your PC by ripping it in a standard way. This would probably be just fine for VHS material.

Beyond that you could use a decent capture card and capture in HUFYUV to get a little better quality. But then you'd need an MPEG encoder and authoring package if your goal is to make a DVD. What is your goal?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 02:07   #9  |  Link
R3Z
Silver Über Alles

Having a source as good as possible is the key here. A decent VHS deck with S-Video out and Time Based Correction would be a great starting point. Then its just a matter of capturing that with your DVD recorder or PC with a good capture card.

Short of doing it yourself or paying someone to do the transfer (there must be places people can suggest who live near you that arent con-artists ) you could always ship the tape to someone with a good vcr transfer setup.

It all comes back to how much money vs how important the end product is. You could start by letting us know what VCR you have, whether you have a video camera and whether you have a capture card for your pc.
R3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 06:11   #10  |  Link
mikeytown2
Resize Abuser

@CleftyInTwain
Is there any chance of getting a hold of the original 8 or 16mm film? If not, I would go and venture over to the Capturing Video part of this forum, I'm sure they can point you towards a great capture setup for the VHS tape. If that is not a option, I'm sure we can attempt to fix the video, but the end result will most likely leave you wanting something more.
mikeytown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 09:30   #11  |  Link
CleftyInTwain

Thank you for all your replies. I think I am left needing to find another transfer company that can do the job properly.
Old 7th July 2008, 23:18   #12  |  Link
SynchronousArts
Multimedia Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleftyInTwain View Post
Thank you for all your replies. I think I am left needing to find another transfer company that can do the job properly.
You might try Richard at http://photorecall.net

He posts on this forum under the name rfmmars.
Old 10th July 2008, 03:02   #13  |  Link
Yoshiyuki Blade
Novice x264 User

All I can say is that you've come to the right place . The Doom9 forums is just about the best place to find countless ways to edit, restore, and process most types of video. And yes, I can imagine how difficult it would be for someone of an older age to be confused by all that goes on here. It's not exactly a 1-click solution for handling valuable material.

But yeah, as others have said here, having an excellent digital source is the best way to work with it. If you don't have anything better than the VHS copy, a good digital transfer should look almost exactly like the "original" VHS one.

EDIT:

Here's a few basic things I think you need to know:

- One of the first fundamental concepts you must understand is that, for every little bit of processing you do on video, some form of detail is lost. Once a video has been processed in some way, there is no way of reversing it back to its original form. So its critical to always have the best source possible at hand. So if a result doesn't please you, you can "start over" with the source, and try something different.

- Anything short of a "lossless" or "raw uncompressed" process will lose some form of detail, whether minor or major. The filesize of "lossless" transfers should be huge, and "raw" videos obscene (youll most likely not need to go that far). However, this isn't as big of a deal as it seems. Even though digital video will lose details when compressed (unless compressed losslessly), most of the detail can be preserved while reducing the file size significantly. Even transparent encodes (where the quality difference cant be told apart from the source) have a much smaller filesize than the "lossless" source, and look almost the same!

- Considering that your source is a VHS, there was probably a significant loss of detail if it was converted from film, for example.

- "Remastering" a VHS source will most likely lose some more of the detail that was already there, but careful processing should do its best to preserve that detail as much as possible while looking much more visually pleasing.

- The advantage of the digital age is that, once the source is in place, making exact copies with no detail loss is easy. VHS is analogue, not digital. If you make a copy of a VHS video to another VHS tape, the copy will lose some detail. If you make another copy from the copy, it'll look worse, and so on. However, if you transfer the VHS to digital, you may lose some detail (depends on how well its done), but once it's been digitized, you can easily make more copies with no more detail loss.

I feel that maybe you're not clear on the basic conceptions which need to be understood first and foremost before messing around with video editing.

Last edited by Yoshiyuki Blade; 10th July 2008 at 04:14.
Yoshiyuki Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 03:37   #14  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

if money's no object you could find the original film and get it telecined. 8mm stuff is a bit tricky to find a (good) facility to transfer it, but the result would be far superior to a VHS, and some places can give it to you as an uncompressed movie file, meaning highest possible quality with no tape stage (analog or otherwise).

this would cost you around $200 per hour of operator time though.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:33   #15  |  Link
CleftyInTwain

Thank you again for the comments guys, its very helpful.

The original 8mm was lost some time ago, as it was not look after particulaly well after the initial transfer to VHS was made in 1988. Thank god, this original source VHS has hardly ever been played.