Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th September 2011, 21:37   #9881  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I do like AMD myself, due to good performance per watt, due to *not* having those presentation glitch problems and due to a freely available frame packed HDMI 3D output SDK. Unfortunately neither NVidia nor AMD are really perfect at this time. I wish it were possible to combine the best of NVidia and AMD into one new HTPC graphics card.
Hi madshi, been 1 month since your last post in your thread here... hope all is well.
Old 28th September 2011, 23:08   #9882  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
Hi madshi, been 1 month since your last post in your thread here... hope all is well.
He's on vacation...at least from madVR development. He'll be back.
Old 28th September 2011, 23:26   #9883  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I remember the 0.10 version, for one year without Madshi news. Everybody became crazy, starting to ask for Open Source, and insulting Madshi. Was fun.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 01:36   #9884  |  Link
JarrettH

Yep, expected. It's nice that when he takes a break it's still at a fairly stable state
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 16:47   #9885  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
I remember the 0.10 version, for one year without Madshi news. Everybody became crazy, starting to ask for Open Source, and insulting Madshi. Was fun.
I really do wish madVR was made open source, though.

I'd really love to play around with the renderer, unfortunately there's no good open source renderer out there.

Either that, or let me customize the pixel shader code madVR uses.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:19   #9886  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
I really do wish madVR was made open source
madshi has put more sweat and energy in his VR than anyone ever did before....it's funny how every MPC/ffdshow update ends up in KMP/PotPlayer on a regular basis eventually
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 18:38   #9887  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
madshi has put more sweat and energy in his VR than anyone ever did before....it's funny how every MPC/ffdshow update ends up in KMP/PotPlayer on a regular basis eventually
And? Who cares what knock-off products do? The important bit is that the main product gets continually improved. And after all, who's to say anything against a bit of choice?

The only motive I can see for keeping something closed source is if you want to sell it eventually.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:51   #9888  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
it's funny how every MPC/ffdshow update ends up in KMP/PotPlayer on a regular basis eventually
That's the point of FOSS. Free is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
The only motive I can see for keeping something closed source is if you want to sell it eventually.
There are other considerations, to name a few:

- use of proprietary/NDA API - some vendors won't give the necessary NDAs to OSS
- project control
- use of non-FOSS code/libraries

There is a good case for either side, but ultimately it's not our business. The developer's wishes and their willingness to share should be respected. After all, given the choice b/w nothing (i.e. no sharing) and something (binary) the benefit seems obvious; why not just say "thank you" and leave it alone?
Old 29th September 2011, 18:55   #9889  |  Link
SamuriHL

madshi has said in the past that once he gets to version 1 he's going to decide whether or not to charge for it. It's also the reason he's not taking donations right now...he simply doesn't know yet what he wants to do. Honestly, if he did charge for it, I'd pay for it cause quite frankly, it's the best renderer out there IMO. For now, let's enjoy what we're given and wait to see what plans he has for the future.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:06   #9890  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvt View Post
That's the point of FOSS. Free is free.
Actually, the point of FOSS is not that its free, the point of FOSS is that when you take, you also have to give back, which is something those korean knock-offs have not learned.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:09   #9891  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Actually, the point of FOSS is not that its free, the point of FOSS is that when you take, you also have to give back, which is something those korean knock-offs have not learned.
We'll have to disagree on that.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:14   #9892  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
We'll have to disagree on that.
That text specifically states that when you take free software and modify it, the result should also be free software (specifically everything about copyleft)
What good is FOSS when there is one FOSS product, but everyone uses it to create their closed things, and no other FOSS emerges.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:21   #9893  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
That text specifically states that when you take free software and modify it, the result should also be free software (specifically everything about copyleft)
What good is FOSS when there is one FOSS product, but everyone uses it to create their closed things, and no other FOSS emerges.
I don't actually consider the GPL to be “free”. For me, truly free software includes BSD and derivatives (eg. CPOL). I think the GPL is too restrictive.

Also, the usage of proprietary APIs can be fixed by including binary blobs. I'm not one of those purists that thinks everything should be 100% free and GPL, I just care about being able to tinker with software when I want to, eg. the shaders / transformation code.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:24   #9894  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
Oh, do they modify the filters and not disclose source? If so, forget what I said earlier about them specifically.

For the other part, I do think there is value in FOSS integration in closed source projects; whether you can [legally] do that is controlled by the developers intent communicated via the license (some do, some don't).
Old 29th September 2011, 19:27   #9895  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The GPL may not be the most "free", but i would at least like recognition of my work when its used in another project. Just taking it, improving some aspects, and claiming how you're better is not a good system.
If someone approached me and asked if he could use my stuff in his project which is incompatible with the GPL, i would give them a relicensed version - of course its easy for me, everything being by one developer.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th September 2011 at 19:31.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 19:28   #9896  |  Link
SamuriHL

My company has an entire legal department devoted to these issues. We have a whole procedure to follow if we want to use ANY kind of open source in our products, and I can tell you, the license makes ALL the difference on that one.

In any case, madshi will ultimately decide what he wants to do with his product. Clearly he's chosen to keep it free but closed source for the time being. As the developer, that's absolutely his choice to make.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:34   #9897  |  Link
andyvt

Quote:
The GPL may not be the most "free", but i would at least like recognition of my work when its used in another project. Just taking it, improving some aspects, and claiming how you're better is not a good system.
I can agree with that. The GPL and other viral OSS licenses are a good way (in theory anyway) to reduce the risk of appropriation without attribution in commercial SW.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:59   #9898  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
I can agree with that. The GPL and other viral OSS licenses are a good way (in theory anyway) to reduce the risk of appropriation without attribution in commercial SW.
You can easily write up a license that forces you to include the original author's name and license in derivative works (but otherwise offers no restrictions based on open source-ness).
Old 29th September 2011, 20:49   #9899  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Little bug:
When using On2 VP7 VP70 video decoder along with madVR, the video is upside down.
When using any other renderer, EVR, VMR9 etc, video is OK.
Old 1st October 2011, 03:52   #9900  |  Link
nehcrow

My madVR is stuttering on my XPS 15 laptop.
It only stutters in D3D Fullscreen but it's fine in windowed mode.
My specs are:
i7 2630QM processor
Nvidia GT525M

Help?
nehcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling