Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th August 2016, 12:48   #39081  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
I would like to ask, if there are some options should I change from default in madVR, to have a better quality and use my above system optimaly or it's no necessary in such case, because Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D sources has already best quality?
Read some of the madVR guides online and read through the forum.

Quote:
My second question is, which will have better quality and visual effect:
- Blu-Ray movie 1080p watched on TV 1080p
- Blu-Ray movie 2160p watched on TV 1080p
Of course, when played via MPC-HC + LAV Filters + madVR. Is it worth to have 2160p HEVC x265 and watch at 1080p screen or 1080p movie will have a better quality?
2160P blu-rays downscaled to 1080P should always look better. Generally those discs would be remastered to attain improved picture over all previous releases.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 14:18   #39082  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Read some of the madVR guides online and read through the forum.

2160P blu-rays downscaled to 1080P should always look better. Generally those discs would be remastered to attain improved picture over all previous releases.
There are no 2160p blu-rays that you can playback on HTPC yet.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 17:36   #39083  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
No, newer does not necessarily mean better. Often it does but not always. Sometimes newer masters have more DNR or whatever that has a detrimental effect on the image.
Old 10th August 2016, 18:34   #39084  |  Link
Sunset1982

I'm just doing some testings on my dropped frames problem since my Win10 update...

problem only occurs when display switches into 24hz mode.

In 60hz mode the render queues are stable and no dropped frames.

Did a clean windows install with complete new madvr setup, but problem still exists... Anyone else got this problem since anniversary update?
Old 10th August 2016, 20:48   #39085  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Everyone is having issues with it. For me, sync seems to drift in and out even though the render time is under 41.7 ms.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 23:02   #39086  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
No, newer does not necessarily mean better. Often it does but not always. Sometimes newer masters have more DNR or whatever that has a detrimental effect on the image.
Quote:
It's obvious that anyone mastering these discs would be aware of what came before. The likelihood of a better release with more detail and a far higher bitrate with H.265 to boot would be worse is quite pessimistic, these are professionally mastered after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
That doesn't stop me from answering the question.
Old 10th August 2016, 23:04   #39087  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and I'm French

I would like to know if one day we can hope for a madVR "special encoding" ?

I think a kind of filter like "ffdshow video encoder".

It would be very cool, because the quality of madVR is top !

And the anti-ringing filter is very useful with Jinc filter.

I tried with avisynth for encoding, but the ringing... it's too bad !

Thansk for your help ! (sorry for my simple English)

P.S. : Your random questions are very hard !
SuperLumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 23:26   #39088  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
I'll make as soon as I'm at work

It's weird. When I'm in Windowed mode and focused on the potplayer window it lowers the Queues . When I'm not in focus it goes back to full .... LoL

Every time I click outside the video on desktop or something else and back on the video, the Queue changes and goes back again. After I did it couple of times the Queue are actually fine now. but it still changes to low - bad to high - good if I keep clicking like before.

Strange. But why is your display refresh rate sometimes listed as 80Hz and sometimes as 100Hz? In any case, high refresh rates and windowed mode can prove to be problematic. Usually fullscreen exclusive mode works best for such cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
OK fair enough, what would you expect to see from screenshots then? Obviously AB will make the picture softer so I'm not sure what would change your mind
As explained before, I currently think that AB just decreases the SuperRes strength and does not do anything else (other than maybe add even more artifacts). So I'd need to see some evidence that AB does something more (something positive) than just decrease SuperRes strength.

Which means comparison screenshots between SuperRes strength 2 with and without AB are not very useful because one will be much softer than the other. So which one is better? It's impossible to judge. The only proper comparison can be to try to create 2 screenshots which have a roughly similar sharpness, where 1 screenshot achieves that with a higher SuperRes strength and AB turned on, while the other uses a lower SuperRes strength with AB turned off. If in this situation the SuperRes+AB screenshots looks objectively better, that would count as evidence for the usefulness of AB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Tried the camp demo, still think 25% luminance reduction and 75% saturation looks best. On the tents in the dark it's hard to choose between 25/75 and 50/50 though. I felt like 25/75 left the red tent a bit too bright, and 50/50 darkened it a bit too much. 33.3/66.7 might be a good compromise for that particular scene. 100/0 is right out by the way, causes awful banding on the sun at the beginning of the scene.

Edit: Oh, I should mention I tested this using 120 nits for the display luminance to match my calibration, but 120 nits might still be overbrightening things. 180 nits looks less washed out, though it's hard to say what the 'right' brightness should be.
FWIW, I don't like the way 120 nits looks, at least with some HDR demos (like Life of Pie). I wouldn't go under 180 nits, maybe I'd even try to avoid 180 nits, regardless of how dim your display really measures.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
0% was best for this case and not much difference with 25% but started losing detail by 50%. pm'd about clip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
did quick test

sony camp:
100% luminance 0% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/xTousOt.jpg
50%: http://i.imgur.com/55ztgDJ.jpg
0% luminance 100% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/YWe8Txv.jpg

chess demo:

100% Luminance 0% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/VwRWAI9.jpg
50%: http://i.imgur.com/v0S7SSw.jpg
0% luminance 100% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/KfpXHHJ.jpg

100% Luminance 0% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/z0mJ5hj.jpg
50%: http://i.imgur.com/OA13aqp.jpg
0% luminance 100% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/59CMxPp.jpg

To my eyes camp looked better with 100% luminance but for chess demo it was exact opposite and only 100% saturation looked like it should. I think even with 'looked best' option it's still not quite ideal and i can see in some places of the image where other options work better but rest of the picture looks wrong with them. I'm happy that we have options for now
FWIW, the next madVR build will have a different tone mapping algorithm, a slightly improved luminance vs saturation formula, and it will do gamut roll-off instead of clipping. So basically we will need to re-evaluate everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
What does this option do?
Instead of setting black level output to 16, you can set it to e.g. 16.25. Sounds weird. But with 10bit output this would be 65 instead of 64, so it does make sense. I thought about moving the control to 10bit. But most people would be confused with having a 64 value for black. So I decided to stick with 16/235, but allow fractions for 10bit support.

Quote:
Can you also define this?
This is rather complicated, it was discussed in great depth in the last couple of pages.

Basically after tone mapping some pixels might be both too saturated and too bright, thus making them "out of gamut". The question is how to move them "in gamut"? We can either reduce luminance or saturation or both.

Quote:
Maybe banding was the wrong word, but the sun looks odd to me with 100% luminance reduction.
Yeah well, that's why I originally did 100% saturation reduction and 0% luminance reduction, because if you have a picture element which is supposed to have a smooth luminance curve with different colors/saturations, if you then reduce luminance only for some colors, suddenly the luminance curve gets broken up, which will then introduce these kind of artifacts. In this case reducing saturation instead of luminance would be much better. Unfortunately there are other situations where it's the other way round. I don't think it's possible to perfectly solve all this without a very complicated algorithm which analyzes the neighbor pixels to find out whether reducing saturation or luminance would do more/less damage to the overall image composition. Which is not an algorithm I'm planning to write (too power hungry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Seems like this is what was causing the higher rendering times on versions after .20, at least in my case that is.

Any chance the old upscale refinement procedure could return as a trade quality for performance option (if there's a meaningful reason for that PQ-wise in the first place)?
If you don't like the current behaviour, you can manually turn upscaling refinement off for this specific situation by using profiles. It's not possible to use profiles the other way round, so it's probably better to leave things as they are right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
I have a couple of observations to report. First, the "ShowRenderSteps" trick is very cool, would be nice if the list continued in a second column so we can see everything, but it is what it is. Second, the "ShowRenderSteps" is actually more demanding than regular OSD... pushes my 720p profile way over the edge, more than likely due the many more lines of info that need to be drawn, again it is what it is and not a big deal.
The font will be smaller in the next madVR build, if you activate the "ShowRenderSteps" tweak. Drawing those additional lines doesn't cost anything, really, in terms of GPU performance. But in order to measure the performance of each render step, I need to do a full GPU flush and wait for each render step. That's what's causing the performance drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
2) SSIM Downscaling is NOT being used in version 0.90.23 and this is very noticeable, Bicubic150 AR is OK, but I truly do prefer SSIM2D-100 w/AR-Relaxed
1D SSIM downscaling never activated if you didn't downscale both X and Y at the same time. 2D SSIM downscaling did activate, but made problems. So I intentionally made 2D behave the same way as 1D: Which means it no longer gets activated if you only downscale in 1 axis.

Quote:
IIRC the relaxed/strict subsetting for downscaling AR doesn't do anything with SSIM?
Correct. SSIM always uses "strict", IIRC. The only disadvantage of "strict" is that it's softer. Which doesn't apply when using SSIM. Hence it makes sense to use "strict" for SSIM. Less ringing artifacts. No loss in sharpness. Win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano View Post
Hi madshi, are you still using AMD card? If yes what driver version are you using?
I have an AMD, NVidia *and* Intel GPU in my development PC. I don't remember the driver version right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonP View Post
in 3D i cant set 24Hz in madvr - 23p mode switches on automaticaly.... how can i set 24p in 3D?
Do you actually have a 24.000 *3D* movie? I know some 2D movies are 24.000. But all 3D movies I've come across yet where 23.976 so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonP View Post
2. artefacts in 3D mode in some scenes (every time in same moment). red car on screenshot is example of it. in powerdvd 16 all is ok, so its not BD3D problem. I think its decoder's problem, but not sure. how to fix this bug?
Might be a good idea to ask nevcairiel about this in the LAV thread. If it's a bug in the Intel decoder there might not be anything he can do about it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
So I got 3d MVC to work great with MPC-HC and madvr using MVC MKV. However the subtitles are flat. Is there anyway to fix that? It appears its only showing one of the two subtitles needed for depth.
Which subtitle renderer? Which kind of subtitles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Can madvr work in "portable mode"?
Portable or not doesn't matter to madVR. The media player is the key. E.g. JRiver MC loads madVR from a subfolder without registering it and it works just fine. Also the madTPG test pattern generator loads madVR without needing it to be registered.

The key problem to solve is that the media player must somehow locate madVR, and usually that's done through the DirectShow mechanism, which works through the registry. That's why madVR usually needs to be "installed" (registered in the registry).

However, if the media player is able to locate the madVR in some other way (e.g. look in some specific path, or maybe in a subfolder with a specific name) then madVR doesn't need to be registered.

So basically, this is something you need to ask the media player devs, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbig View Post
If I enable stereo3D in GPU config (GTX1070), then play a 3D movie, works fine.
After quit player, go back player another, no 3D.
Went to GPU config, stereo3D is no longer sticky.

I think there is some configuration item in Madvr can manage this, but I have tried all items under render/3D, no luck. It sounds everything I play a 3D movie, I need to visit GPU's configuration panel to enable stero3D there first...
There's an option "when playing 3d content... enable os stereo 3d support for all displays". If you enable this, madVR should automatically enable the stereo3D option in the GPU control panel. At least it works for my NVidia GPU on my dev PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
I came across a odd problem while I was reset madvr after i actived Error Diffusion or CTRL+J renderer stats and media player start flickering
and when i Direct3D 11 for presentation alone media player start flickering
Some Intel users seem to have problems with that. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, unfortunately. You may have to stick to D3D9 and ordered dithering for now.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 23:29   #39089  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4 View Post
I've come across this the other day after seeing "Calibrating HDR, Part 2" on AVSForum.com

Quality Free Video samples correctly encoded:
https://hdr.avtop.com/hdr_solutions_avtop
Thanks, downloading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
madTestPatternSource, I installed the filter, then tried opening a ytp file (well I tried 4), both Zoom Player and PotPlayer stated they could not play the video, potplayer at least understood it was a video file but said there was no video, which makes some sense as all the ytp files are 0 bytes in size.
They're supposed to be 0 bytes in size. The madTestPatternSource just looks at the file name to decide what kind of content to dynamically render. Some media players refuse to play 0 byte files, though. Try opening the files with Notepad and write some dummy text into them. Maybe that helps? Also make sure you use a 32bit media player. The madTestPatternSource filter currently only supports 32bit, unfortunately.

Quote:
move OSD into active video area

madVR's OSD or the video player?
madVR's OSD. Maybe also the video player's OSD, but it depends on which kind of OSD APIs the video player uses. madVR can move some of them, but not all of them. E.g. there's one API where the media player itself draws onto the video surface. madVR can't move that, so this option doesn't work if the video player uses that API.

Quote:
anamorphic lens

stretch factor:

Does this set the vertical stretch applied by madVR?

If you projector is doing the vertical resizing, should this be disabled?
Yes, that's the vertical stretch for anamorphic lenses. Of course you should only enable this either in madVR or in the projector. If you enable it in madVR, the image scaling operation takes the anamorphic stretch into account right away, so no extra scaling operation is performed. Usually madVR will do this in higher quality than the projector.

Quote:
enable HDR processing
When selected, madVR will apply its own mapping algorithms to HDR10 content. If unselected, this metadata is passed untouched to the display for processing. Pass-through support is waiting on driver updates from the GPU manufacturers.
Correct.

Quote:
preserve hue in ...
Out of gamut colors require mapping to fit inside the display gamut. A color in xyY color space is comprised of its hue, saturation and luminance. Desaturating a color outside the display gamut will produce a color with an incorrect hue. madVR will desaturate out of gamut colors while trying to preserve the correct hue. Two methods are available: low quality and high quality, which are ranked by processing resources used.
The phrase "Desaturating a color outside the display gamut" seems weird to me. If you disable this option completely, madVR will simply clip colors instead of properly desaturating them. Clipping might effect only 1 or 2 of the 3 channels of RGB, so there's a high danger of hue changes.

Quote:
compress highlights
Two options are available to deal with luminance values greater than the display brightness: tone mapping or highlight clipping. When checked, any values greater than the display peak luminance (100% brightness) are compressed according to a tone mapping curve. If unchecked, values larger than the display peak luminance value are simply clipped and ignored. Values 0 to 100 nits are left unaltered either way. Compressing highlights is likely to be more accurate than clipping them.
It's not always 100 nits. It can be higher or lower, depending on the peak brightness of the display. But "some" amount of the lower nits levels remains untouched, that is correct.

Compression isn't actually more accurate. It modifies a large amount of pixels away from their intended values. So one could argue that clipping is more accurate because it keeps more pixels at their exactly intended values. However, clipping loses details in highlight areas, which is most often worse than the accuracy loss caused by compression.

Quote:
measure each frame's peak luminance
madVR can measure the brightness of each pixel in each frame. This overcomes the limitation of HDR metadata, which provides a single value for peak luminance but no dynamic metadata. The brightness range of a video will vary during playback. By measuring the peak luminance of each pixel, madVR is able to offer on-demand tone mapping that is adjustable per frame.
restore details in compressed highlights
Compressing highlight image areas into a smaller data set will lead to a loss of detail as values are stacked on top of each other. madVR selectively restores some of the detail lost in compressed areas by employing image sharpening. This added sharpening can introduce bloating and ringing, so appropriate anti-bloating and anti-ringing filters are also provided.
This display's peak luminance capability
The display peak luminance specifies 100% display brightness. This defines the upper range of the tone mapping curve or the point where values are clipped. There is no such thing as a correct setting, so experiment with this value. A display configured to Rec.709 (BT.709) should start with a value of 265 nits even if it is calibrated to 100 nits. Higher peak luminance values will progressively darken the image.
Mostly correct. I wouldn't fixate on 265 nits for BT.709 displays (or any displays). But IMHO anything lower doesn't look too hot. That's just my personal opinion, though, and not "fact".

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
Is it normal that the only way I can play ''Sony_4K_HDR_Camp'' in HDR is when i set madvr chroma upscaling to ''Bilinear'' ? Everything else doesnt work.
The decoder queue is almost empty. Make sure you use DXVA copyback decoding in LAV Video Decoder. That should solve the problem. Or if you're already doing that, make sure you update to the latest madVR build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
@madshi: speaking of cropping black bars, could we get file name tags for that, please?
It's on my to do list, along with a million of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
I have a mk3d file with the following parameters:
Code:
MultiView_Count                          : 2
MultiView_Layout                         : Side by Side (left eye first)
Is there a way to transform this video to "row interleaved" format? With madVR of course.
It's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianken View Post
Full screen exclusive: Drops frames like mad with both 4K24 or 4K60. GPU-Z shows the GPU clock is WAY lower at 835Mhz and fully loaded.
Weird. Maybe using some GPU clock tool helps?

Quote:
BTW I recently updated to the latest version of PotP and when I seek several times in a row(even in windowed mode) I get this box showing up for a split second. Log file available here.
Code:
00000787.958 Render   Get3DOffset for frame 10: 0
00000787.979 Render   CRendering::ExecuteStep(self: 0C86D888);
00000787.983 Render   beginning texture resampling scene failed
Still running W7SP1/13.12 HD7850, any idea what's wrong please?
Hard to say. Maybe PotPlayer drawing its OSD on top of madVR's video frames, using madVR's Direct3D device is confusing madVR? This worked in the past, though. Not sure, maybe the PotPlayer dev changes something?

Quote:
Can someone explain how 3D LUTs interact with madVR's HDR10 mapping algorithms?
With the current build, you should only use SDR 3D LUTs, which will also work fine for HDR content, as long as you enable HDR processing in madVR. The next madVR build will optionally allow you to do tone mapping via 3dlut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
A long time ago I found a bug where increasing present frame queue caused video to be delayed from audio proportional to how long the queue was. Today I found the fix: turn off "use separate device for presentation". I now have 12 frames in queue and no a/v de sync.

Not sure why this happens on my laptop, but if others run into this problem, this is a fix to try.
Do you have the "number of prepresented frames" (or whatever the exact name of the option was) set to anything other than "application defined" in your GPU control panel? This very much sounds like a GPU driver problem. FWIW, most users don't have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutm80 View Post
Hi guys, just found an annoying issue after the Win 10 anniversary update
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Just a heads up for anyone getting audio sync issues with the new Anniversary Update for Windows 10. Disable "audio enhancements" for your sound card and hdmi audio device in Windows. It was driving me nuts until I found it. Seems Microsoft broke audio again.
There's a reason why I recommend using Windows 8.1 for an HTPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegwyn11 View Post
Is there a way to get real BT.2020 and HDR output from madVR? I have a GTX 1070 that should be capable, but the best I can get seems to be tone mapped DCI-P3 (CTRL-J shows "HDR 1200 nits, BT.2020 -> DCI-P3").
There's a brand new API available for the Pascal GPUs, but I hate it, to be honest. I'm waiting for a different/better API, which is hopefully coming soon. No API available yet at all from AMD, Intel or Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
I've got a wacky issue where, right when I open a video in MPC-HC, madVR sometimes causes the video to start paused.
Do you have anything special in your filter setup, or in your madVR or media player configuration? Do you have the "delay playback start..." options activated in madVR? Does unchecking them help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninf View Post
i have got a question in regards to framepacked 3D and madvr... is it possible to upscale framepacked 3D to 4K without *loosing* 3D?
I have strong doubts that any GPU supports frame packed 3D output at 4K. Haven't really tried it yet, though. I don't have a 4K 3D display atm to test with, anyway.

Quote:
which will have better quality and visual effect:
- Blu-Ray movie 1080p watched on TV 1080p
- Blu-Ray movie 2160p watched on TV 1080p
Depends on a lot of things. Some 2160p encodings out there are simply upscales of 1080p Blu-Rays. Those are useless. True 2160p masters should usually look better downscaled than the 1080p Blu-Ray based on the same master. At least that's the case for several 2160p files I've compared to their 1080p Blu-Rays. How much better varies, though. It also depends on your taste a bit. Usually you get more grain and detail by downscaling 2160p, compared to the 1080p Blu-Ray. I like it. But not everyone does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack View Post
I would like to know if one day we can hope for a madVR "special encoding" ?

I think a kind of filter like "ffdshow video encoder".
Encoding support is not planned. However, maybe some day madVR could be used as a filter in AviSynth or VapourSynth. Probably not very soon, though.
Old 11th August 2016, 00:13   #39090  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.24 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* HDR: improved tone mapping algorithm
* HDR: added gamut mapping compression (instead of clipping)
* HDR: slightly improved luminance vs saturation reduction formula
* HDR: added options to use an external HDR tone mapping 3dlut
* HDR: added option to do HDR processing, but still output PQ
* fixed: measuring HDR luminance + NNEDI3 chroma upscaling sometimes crashed
* compiled OpenCL kernels are now stored separately for 32bit and 64bit
* when using the "ShowRenderSteps" tweak, a smaller OSD font is used now
Old 11th August 2016, 00:31   #39091  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Encoding support is not planned. However, maybe some day madVR could be used as a filter in AviSynth or VapourSynth. Probably not very soon, though.
It would be a super idea

Thanks for your job madshi It's awesome !

P.S. : I really don't understand these %*$! random questions when I want to post a reply
SuperLumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 00:31   #39092  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
FWIW, I don't like the way 120 nits looks, at least with some HDR demos (like Life of Pie). I wouldn't go under 180 nits, maybe I'd even try to avoid 180 nits, regardless of how dim your display really measures.
Okay, I'll try something higher then. I don't really understand why this is though - do the maths break down for these low display luminances? Should I be doing some sort of conversion to account for the fact that I'm sitting ~2 feet away from my monitor instead of looking at a TV from the sofa in my living room? I find it really hard to judge what the "right" brightness is for this material, so I'd love some sort of objective metric.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 00:40   #39093  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack View Post
P.S. : I really don't understand these %*$! random questions when I want to post a reply
I don't get any random questions. Must be because you're a new user? It will probably stop at some point in the future.

Quote:
Okay, I'll try something higher then. I don't really understand why this is though - do the maths break down for these low display luminances? Should I be doing some sort of conversion to account for the fact that I'm sitting ~2 feet away from my monitor instead of looking at a TV from the sofa in my living room? I find it really hard to judge what the "right" brightness is for this material, so I'd love some sort of objective metric.
FWIW, 100 nits peak seems to be what SDR is usually aimed at. So if you go near 100 nits, you don't get any benefit of HDR.

I'm not sure if the math breaks down. 120-180 nits looks quite ok with some demos, but not with all. Maybe Life of Pie is badly encoded? I've no idea. The same approach is valid here as always: Simply try different settings and pick what looks best to your eyes.
Old 11th August 2016, 01:28   #39094  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
It would seem that you are wrong.

The latest LG BD-XL drives work and apparently Leawo's blu-ray player can decode the discs.
Old 11th August 2016, 02:02   #39095  |  Link
egandt

Quote:
madVR v0.90.24 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* HDR: improved tone mapping algorithm
* HDR: added gamut mapping compression (instead of clipping)
* HDR: slightly improved luminance vs saturation reduction formula
* HDR: added options to use an external HDR tone mapping 3dlut
* HDR: added option to do HDR processing, but still output PQ
* fixed: measuring HDR luminance + NNEDI3 chroma upscaling sometimes crashed
* compiled OpenCL kernels are now stored separately for 32bit and 64bit
* when using the "ShowRenderSteps" tweak, a smaller OSD font is used now
Just gave it a try so far looks, great. Many, many thanks for the HDR pass through mode.

ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 04:48   #39096  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

@madshi Thank you for your great work!

New demo seems to work well for me, but I have not tested with HDR content yet. (lack of full movies in HDR at the moment)

Quick advice for Optimus laptop users: Don't enable exclusive mode at all. With Optimus, it can cause a little worse experience, or at least it caused for me with most driver versions.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 05:22   #39097  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
@madshi Thank you for your great work!

New demo seems to work well for me, but I have not tested with HDR content yet. (lack of full movies in HDR at the moment)

Quick advice for Optimus laptop users: Don't enable exclusive mode at all. With Optimus, it can cause a little worse experience, or at least it caused for me with most driver versions.
Thats not true at all

I m on optimus on two different laptops... One with gt 525m that hdmi outputs by nvidia and one with 930m that hdmi outputs by Intel hd 5500, on the two laptops fullscreen exclusive mode only improve perfomance and smoothnes of the vídeo, inclusive lowering a litros the render times... Same improvment on hdmi or laptop display... The two laptops with the latest drivers...
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 07:29   #39098  |  Link
har3inger

@madshi:

Nowhere in either intel or ATI graphics panel can I specify such a setting. I haven't bothered to dig through the registry, as I know the frame queue number is set and controlled via a reg key.

The issue has persisted across various ATI driver updates. No idea why this is, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Edit: I want to second uoppi's suggestion to add the old upscale refinement option as a trade performance tickbox. Upscaling 720p to 1080p is probably one of the most common upscaling factors, and it usually involves a double->downscale for best quality. With SR2, I can get render times of 33ms from 720p->1080p with SXBR->bicubic150, but I can't even use SR1 with the same settings without exceeding 45ms in the new implementation. As far as I know, there's no way to get the old behavior using profiles.

Last edited by har3inger; 11th August 2016 at 07:42.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 07:44   #39099  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

After Anniversary Update for Windows 10 in MPC-HC + LAV Filters + madVR with Chroma Upscalling option set to NNEDI3 64 neurons, when watching movies and clicking CTRL+J, there is chroma > Jinc AR instead NNEDI3. When I choose other options everything is correct, only with NNEDI3 it shows Jinc AR. Do you also have such problem?

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 07:58   #39100  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
After Anniversary Update..
If you'd have taken a minute to look back a page or two you might have found the solution. I would suggest learning basic troubleshooting and navigation of forums.

Reinstall your graphics drivers.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling