Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th July 2011, 22:36   #8921  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

madshi:
I disabled 'delay playback...', disabled 'use a sep device for present', enabled both 'use a sep' and 'use d3d11', none of which helped.
This is strange, it even happens when going fullscreen on the same monitor! I'm going to investigate if it's a specific code I use in the fullscreen switch that messing with MadVR in some way.
The first report was for an FLV with H264/AAC.
It's actually even worse with some other sample files, I get crashes in 'fault module StackHash_0a9e' (AVI with XVID/MP3).
I get the main monitor completely blanked out while the second monitor flashes the video for a second and then remain frozens with the player UI frozen as well. (MKV with H264/AC3).

So it seems to be unstable in a variety of ways (reminder, exclusive mode is disabled), so it's not the switch event.
Old 24th July 2011, 22:38   #8922  |  Link
Xaurus

edit: posted below

Last edited by Xaurus; 24th July 2011 at 23:01.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 22:40   #8923  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There's another problem with real world experience: Not all Blu-Rays are equal. Actually far from it. Just look at how FOTR suddenly got a teal tint.
Indeed, the human brain can "adjust" to any white point very quickly...the same way it won't let "untouched" audio pass through for more than a fistful of seconds. A good rule of thumb IME is to go US=SMPTE-C/EU=EBU...and in the rare cases where I'd find the colors artificial looking, I'd be using the gamut mapping hotkey and look for a better choice. Indeed, nothing's written in stone and if the movie was meant to look green on purpose(like Amelie or Revolver) then good luck finding the right gamut on sight. There's a standard, but some/most ppl don't care about it, because the average customer uses an uncalibrated display in 60Hz anyway. It's all dumbed down on purpose.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 22:41   #8924  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
There's a good chance that you'll be seeing the light, or maybe not...
I see the light every day, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlolo View Post
1) Is it possible to change the OSD shortcut from Ctrl+J to some other combination?
Changing key combinations is on my to do list, like many other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlolo View Post
2) Using KMPlayer, madVR's seekbar never shows. If you move the cursor at the bottom, it shows the KMPlayer's seekbar, so switching to windowed mode.
KMPlayer is faster than madVR in showing the seekbar. Nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
madshi:
I disabled 'delay playback...', disabled 'use a sep device for present', enabled both 'use a sep' and 'use d3d11', none of which helped.
This is strange, it even happens when going fullscreen on the same monitor! I'm going to investigate if it's a specific code I use in the fullscreen switch that messing with MadVR in some way.
The first report was for an FLV with H264/AAC.
It's actually even worse with some other sample files, I get crashes in 'fault module StackHash_0a9e' (AVI with XVID/MP3).
I get the main monitor completely blanked out while the second monitor flashes the video for a second and then remain frozens with the player UI frozen as well. (MKV with H264/AC3).

So it seems to be unstable in a variety of ways (reminder, exclusive mode is disabled), so it's not the switch event.
Is this a new problem? It sounds really bad. Can you say which exact madVR version introduced this? Does it occur on your PC with ZP7, too?

Last edited by madshi; 24th July 2011 at 22:44.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 22:54   #8925  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
I partially figured it out. You're capturing the Alt+Enter key and doing something (switching to exclusive mode even if it's disabled in the settings?).
If I use another key to go fullscreen, it works well on the same monitor.

There is a separate issue when switching to a second monitor, the video appears on the second monitor in the wrong AR, then the AR is adjusted after maybe 100-200ms, then the whole thing freezes, requiring a task kill.
The strange thing, it doesn't freeze if I drag the player window back and forth between monitors. I'm still investigating.
Old 24th July 2011, 22:56   #8926  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Let me know what you find out. FWIW, I'm not looking for Alt+Enter. I'm not looking for any specific key combination for fullscreen switching. The only keys I'm looking for are those I need for madVR functionality (like Ctrl+J to toggle the madVR OSD). Fullscreen detection is done by enumerating windows.
Old 24th July 2011, 23:01   #8927  |  Link
Xaurus

Is it only me or does the "delay exclusive mode for 3 seconds" not work anymore?
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 23:03   #8928  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

madshi:
There's a clear difference between pressing 'Alt+Enter' and using another keyboard event or even a mouse click on the GUI fullscreen button.
Are you sure there isn't any debug hooks that's maybe left in there? I tried changing the other components in the graph to make sure they didn't hook the Alt+Enter key, but it didn't make a difference.
The thing is, when you hit alt-enter, the whole desktop blinks, as if switching resolution or entering exclusive mode.
Old 24th July 2011, 23:05   #8929  |  Link
pankov

madshi,
a while ago you asked us (users) what refresh rate do we prefer for 23.976 content 24Hz or 59.940Hz.
If I remember correctly the answer was definitely 24.
Tonight I've decided to go that route and stop fighting with custom resolutions and never exactly getting 23.976 but go for 24.000 which is pretty stable/exact on my PC but I was surprised to see that even the latest version of madVR still switches to 1080p59 when I feed it 23.976 while having the following display modes 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59 in madVR's settings.
Did I do something wrong or you simply didn't have the time to change the automatic display mode switching?
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 23:52   #8930  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
I verified one thing, if I switch the video to fullscreen by calling WinAPI's SetWindowPos and giving it the fullscreen coordinates of the second monitor and then set the player window state to 'maximized', MadVR gets unstable (weird crashes).
I wrote a work-around that first moves the window to the new monitor without resizing it, followed by enabling the maximized window state and finally switching the window resolution to fullscreen, but it's not the most elegant solution.

Still, there's something else going on as well, as the playback sometimes (not always) freezes (no audio or video), requiring a pause/play to get it going again.
Old 25th July 2011, 00:35   #8931  |  Link

0.69 seems to be a good improvement over 0.67. I can play Blu-ray again, and the internal MPEG-2 decoder works great for most DVDs and allows for subtitles to be displayed properly. (using ffdshow as an external filter causes macrovision errors, LAV did not display subtitles)

I am unfortunately still having DVDs be indefinitely paused when "delay playback start until render queue is full" is enabled.

I don't get a seek bar in fullscreen with DVDs either (this has been around for ages) and some titles show significant amounts of combing - this is film, not video. With most titles, using the internal MPEG-2 decoder works fine and extracts the full resolution from the DVD without artefacts though.

I also tried the resolution changer again tonight after leaving it for a few versions, and it still doesn't work for me.

With DVDs, it generates a macrovision error so playback cannot start, and I am still getting a black screen with MPC-HC crashing when playing anything else. This is switching from 1080p60 to 1080p24 with Blu-ray.

My filter setup for DVDs is even simpler now thanks to this update:
  • LAV Splitter
  • LAV Audio Decoder
  • ffdshow Audio Processor
madVR does the MPEG-2 Decoding, and "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" & "DVD Navigator" get added to the filter list automatically in MPC-HC when playing back DVDs.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 01:51   #8932  |  Link
Wile-E-Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
My filter setup for DVDs is even simpler now thanks to this update:
  • LAV Splitter
  • LAV Audio Decoder
  • ffdshow Audio Processor
madVR does the MPEG-2 Decoding, and "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" & "DVD Navigator" get added to the filter list automatically in MPC-HC when playing back DVDs.
Are you sure madVR does the decoding? From what you're saying it sounds more like Microsoft's Decoder is doing it, otherwise why would it be in the list?
Wile-E-Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 08:04   #8933  |  Link
Luv

Quote:
[About the madVR mpeg2 decoder]
Are you sure that the internal decoder is used? I wouldn't expect it to output 4:2:2. What does the madVR OSD say exactly? Please check whether there's still a decoder filter in the chain.
Don't bother,Madshi,it probably works as you said.I'm just stuck with the Cyberlink one for the moment:it seems it's the default for dvds when present on the system and I don't know how to switch to another one right now.
Other than this,no problems.
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 09:15   #8934  |  Link
SoupRKnowva

so all these problems with input levels and such are completely eliminated by using the internal filters correct? cause i assume that they know exactly what to do since they are built in?

Also, since this is my first post ever, i want to thank you madshi for building madVR, loving it! and i love the internal decoders since they do 10 bits, so i dont have to worry about using goofy versions of ffdshow to accomplish it.
SoupRKnowva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 15:16   #8935  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile-E-Coyote View Post
Are you sure madVR does the decoding? From what you're saying it sounds more like Microsoft's Decoder is doing it, otherwise why would it be in the list?
Hah, you could be right there....

It seems to be the only decoder that reports the DVD framerate to madVR correctly for some reason.

I wonder why madVR isn't doing the decoding then.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 16:11   #8936  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
madshi,
a while ago you asked us (users) what refresh rate do we prefer for 23.976 content 24Hz or 59.940Hz.
If I remember correctly the answer was definitely 24.
Tonight I've decided to go that route and stop fighting with custom resolutions and never exactly getting 23.976 but go for 24.000 which is pretty stable/exact on my PC but I was surprised to see that even the latest version of madVR still switches to 1080p59 when I feed it 23.976 while having the following display modes 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59 in madVR's settings.
Did I do something wrong or you simply didn't have the time to change the automatic display mode switching?
Forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
so all these problems with input levels and such are completely eliminated by using the internal filters correct?
Yes, there are no level problems when using the internal decoders. There should be no level problems when using external decoders, either, though, unless you have a very complicated setup.

Quote:
madshi:
There's a clear difference between pressing 'Alt+Enter' and using another keyboard event or even a mouse click on the GUI fullscreen button.
Are you sure there isn't any debug hooks that's maybe left in there? I tried changing the other components in the graph to make sure they didn't hook the Alt+Enter key, but it didn't make a difference.
The thing is, when you hit alt-enter, the whole desktop blinks, as if switching resolution or entering exclusive mode.
madVR has a keyboard hook installed for its own key shortcuts, but I *definitely* do not look for Alt+Enter. I'm 100% sure on that. I don't know why Alt+Enter behaves differently for you than other key combinations.

Quote:
Madshi:
I verified one thing, if I switch the video to fullscreen by calling WinAPI's SetWindowPos and giving it the fullscreen coordinates of the second monitor and then set the player window state to 'maximized', MadVR gets unstable (weird crashes).
I wrote a work-around that first moves the window to the new monitor without resizing it, followed by enabling the maximized window state and finally switching the window resolution to fullscreen, but it's not the most elegant solution.
That's really not elegant. Is this problem limited to ZP8? Or does it occur with ZP7, too?

Quote:
Still, there's something else going on as well, as the playback sometimes (not always) freezes (no audio or video), requiring a pause/play to get it going again.
Yeah, when you move madVR to another monitor, madVR has to recreate all Direct3D stuff. Sometimes the timing of that doesn't work out properly, so that graph ends up in paused state. I need to improve that, of course.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:41   #8937  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

madshi, is there a full list of all the madVR keyboard shortcuts somewhere? Could it be added to the readme.txt in the next release?
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 21:47   #8938  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

madshi:
There's something definitely going on with the Alt+Enter issue. Is it possible for you to put a hook into your 'exclusive mode switch function' and press alt+enter in ZP and see if it somehow reaches that code, or triggers any other code that it shouldn't.
It may not even be your keyboard hook, but maybe some other hook in one of the libraries you're using.

The problem with the switch to fullscreen should happen with all versions of Zoom Player, but it may not affect all versions of windows the same. I'm experiencing the issue using Win7 32bit.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:55   #8939  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
madshi, is there a full list of all the madVR keyboard shortcuts somewhere? Could it be added to the readme.txt in the next release?
You can search in the changelog for "Ctrl".

Quote:
There's something definitely going on with the Alt+Enter issue. Is it possible for you to put a hook into your 'exclusive mode switch function' and press alt+enter in ZP and see if it somehow reaches that code, or triggers any other code that it shouldn't.
It may not even be your keyboard hook, but maybe some other hook in one of the libraries you're using.

The problem with the switch to fullscreen should happen with all versions of Zoom Player, but it may not affect all versions of windows the same. I'm experiencing the issue using Win7 32bit.
I know for a fact that I'm not doing anything special for alt+enter. I'm doing my main development testing with MPC-HC, and that is setup to go fullscreen with F11 (and not alt+enter), so on my PC alt+enter does not have any special meaning at all.

FWIW, I've today tested ZP8 (the latest RC build you PMed me) with switching between fullscreen and windowed and multiple monitors with exclusive mode on and off, and with the latest v0.70 I can't reproduce any problems, anymore. So maybe that version takes care of at least some of the problems. If not, we'll have to dig, but I can say right now that I can't reproduce any more problems here, I've really tried today.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:06   #8940  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I have a noob question (I'd love a guide for madVR to be honest, so if there's someone good in english, and which wants to share his knowledge, you'll help a lot of people):

How to know what our display can accept ? 16-235 or 0-255 ? 8 or 10 bits ? Is there a site which can help me ? Thanks in advance. For my TV, I let the default, 8 bits, 0-255, but maybe there's better... :/
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling