Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd May 2013, 08:01   #18841  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamancho View Post
720p videos rendering times go as low as 12 ms yet the present queue is still empty
Can you post your computer specs ?
Maybe it has something to do with the hardware.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:35   #18842  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamancho View Post
720p videos rendering times go as low as 12 ms yet the present queue is still empty
Well I have no idea then, I get full present queue (3-4/4). Running Win8 pro x64 with LAV software decoding (i7-3770k) and SLI GTX Titans. 13 ms rendering, 41.7 ms frame interval, and 8.3 ms v-sync.

Last edited by Asmodian; 22nd May 2013 at 08:47.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:04   #18843  |  Link
Soukyuu

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but would it be possible to port madvr for use with mplayer2 or similar on linux?
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:55   #18844  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

madVR is heavily Windows based, using Direct3D, DirectShow, DXVA, etc. The best you could hope for is possibly running it in a half-functional state under Wine.

The only portion of madVR code which could likely be ported to OpenGL with minimal modifications is the closed-source D3D shader code. The core renderer and other functionality would likely need to be re-written from scratch to support OpenGL + Linux natively. madshi has previously stated he had no interest in creating an OpenGL-based madVR, even for Windows.

You're best bet would be to continue to encourage development of MPlayer2's GL3 renderer with any features and high-quality processing from madVR you feel it is lacking.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:51   #18845  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Just noting that wm4 (the creator of the OpenGL3-based video renderer that was at first called 'gl3') forked mplayer2 some time ago together with an earlier developer called divVerent, as they grew tired of the lack of merging of their changes into the project as well as communication with the main developer.

Those wishing to try out the newest version of this renderer are recommended to try out mpv, Windows builds are also available via lachs0r here. The renderer should now also work with OpenGL2 + certain extensions, and is now called 'opengl', while a more hifist preset is also more easily available under the vo name 'opengl-hq'.

If there is anything lacking on that side, you should note the internals of the wanted feature on either their issue tracker or the IRC channel #mpv-player@freenode.
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:18   #18846  |  Link
Niyawa

madVR doesn't work with wine, I've tried it a few times already but no-go.

On the topic of high quality render (completely unrelated to Windows though), I've been using SMPlayer with elementary OS, and there's a lot of output to chose from. I have x11 and alsa for now, but I want to know if they are or not the highest quality ones, and if not, what output that would be?
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:41   #18847  |  Link
kopija

Related to Linuxland: is there any player that has display refresh rate switching functionaly similar to madvr or mpchc?
I searched, I asked but found nothing.
kopija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 18:40   #18848  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
Windows builds are also available via lachs0r here.
Thanks for the heads-up about this, I've been awaiting someone to regularly begin releasing Win32 MPV builds for quite awhile now. Good to see that lachs0r recently picked this up as recently as last week, after dropping his MPlayer2 win32 builds almost a year ago. In the meantime there has only redxii's MPlayer2 win32 builds, which were a bit lacking feature wise compared to lachs0r's old builds, but he halted those as well a few months ago. Having the most up-to-date and functional version of Libass available for testing and comparisons has always been important for xy-VSFilter development.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 22nd May 2013 at 18:43.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 18:51   #18849  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
madVR doesn't work with wine, I've tried it a few times already but no-go.

On the topic of high quality render (completely unrelated to Windows though), I've been using SMPlayer with elementary OS, and there's a lot of output to chose from. I have x11 and alsa for now, but I want to know if they are or not the highest quality ones, and if not, what output that would be?
no, gl3 or if using mpv opengl-hq are the high quality ones, if you want full hw decoding use vdpau
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:47   #18850  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
no, gl3 or if using mpv opengl-hq are the high quality ones, if you want full hw decoding use vdpau
I see, thanks.

So, I tried to compile mpv in the terminal but it kept giving me errors every time I'd go for the 'sudo make install'. I just gave up and decided to use gl2 of SMPlayer since I'll be using madVR in Windows for most part anyway.

Last edited by Niyawa; 23rd May 2013 at 00:41.
Niyawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:58   #18851  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
madshi, do you know why colours aren't in the same place in EVR and MadVR? Is it to do with the fact that chroma subsampling isn't strictly defined in terms of position?

In the example below you can see the coloured text is shifted by a pixel to the left in MadVR compared to EVR. I have no idea which is correct, if there is a "correct".

MadVR
EVR
I think the best solution to proper MPEG1 placement with mVR atm would appear to be an automatic profile in ffdshow forcing it to output MPG1 as P216 = problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've not tried it, I don't have a CRT. But cyberbeing has tried it on his CRT and he reports that he doesn't see *any* FRC artifacts whatsoever at ~90Hz or something like that.

So you're using the old rendering path on XPSP3? That might be an explanation.
As it turns out, it's really my 8800GS that couldn't cope with J3AR scaling + FRC on top of it....Ideally if you could see what's going so terribly wrong with 660's on XPSP3, I would instantly upgrade my GPU....otherwise I might stick to bicubic75 for a while, until I find the motivation to install win8.1 or sumthing

Anyway, I've been using FRC for a few weeks now and the smoothness in 89.91/96Hz on a CRT is really jaw dropping....especially how it drastically increases the pop effect, I can see why some ppl push for 48fps instead of UHD(or shall I say 2160p, as Joe Kane seems terribly upset about that )

I just ordered yet another LCD screen but this one is pretty much spot-on REC.709, provides 3800:1 CR at D65/100 cd/mē, 0.02 cd/mē black and very good response times for an AMVA panel....can't wait to see how FRC will look on this thing

It's also said to support up to 1:1 72Hz and it's got a DisplayPort as well so FRC will hopefully impress me even further
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:40   #18852  |  Link
digitech

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I think the best solution to proper MPEG1 placement with mVR atm would appear to be an automatic profile in ffdshow forcing it to output MPG1 as P216 = problem solved

As it turns out, it's really my 8800GS that couldn't cope with J3AR scaling + FRC on top of it....Ideally if you could see what's going so terribly wrong with 660's on XPSP3, I would instantly upgrade my GPU....otherwise I might stick to bicubic75 for a while, until I find the motivation to install win8.1 or sumthing

Anyway, I've been using FRC for a few weeks now and the smoothness in 89.91/96Hz on a CRT is really jaw dropping....especially how it drastically increases the pop effect, I can see why some ppl push for 48fps instead of UHD(or shall I say 2160p, as Joe Kane seems terribly upset about that )

I just ordered yet another LCD screen but this one is pretty much spot-on REC.709, provides 3800:1 CR at D65/100 cd/mē, 0.02 cd/mē black and very good response times for an AMVA panel....can't wait to see how FRC will look on this thing

It's also said to support up to 1:1 72Hz and it's got a DisplayPort as well so FRC will hopefully impress me even further
What does "FRC" stands for? Sorry if i don't know but i got curious for what you can do or achieve with it and madvr, thanks
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:39   #18853  |  Link
nekromantik

Info

Hi people

I installed MPC BE with LAV and MadVR.
I got Jinc 3 tap for chroma and image upscale, is this good or should I put chroma upscale to SoftCubic?
My main question is, I have selected "Only when needed" for smooth motion and have deleted 1080p24 on my display resolution switcher in MadVR.
If I play back 480p or 720p video fileswhich are 23.976fps will MadVR upscale to 1080P on my TV if I have disabled the display mode switcher?

edit:

Just tried a 720P 24fps H264 video in exclusive fullscreen mode and Im getting around 130ms render time but in windowed fullscreen around 40ms. Putting chroma upscale and image upscale to Lanzos 4 taps does not make much of a difference.

Im using software decoding on a i5 3337U CPU with HD 4000 and Radeon 8730m dGPU.
Thanks

Last edited by nekromantik; 23rd May 2013 at 08:32.
nekromantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:36   #18854  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitech View Post
What does "FRC" stand for?
Frame Rate Changer or Frame Rate Conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.86.0 released
Added smooth motion frame rate conversion algorithm

Last edited by ryrynz; 23rd May 2013 at 08:39.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:19   #18855  |  Link
Hiritsuki
Novice of AVS

I got a problem about 4K (3840x2160) @ 120fps 's H264 Video
on 24" LCD U2410@60hz

It's seem lag .... but change to EVR will be play normal
Video file is Girls.Generation.Oh.4in1.201002.HDTV.x264.2160p.120fps.DTSES.6.1ch
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:27   #18856  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

3840x2160 pixel * 120 fps = 995,328,000 pixels per second to be processed for chroma interpolation. Which GPU is fast enough?

Check the GPU utilization (e.g. with ProcessExplorer), is it used to capacity?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:00   #18857  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:

Which one is that?
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:38   #18858  |  Link
Hiritsuki
Novice of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
3840x2160 pixel * 120 fps = 995,328,000 pixels per second to be processed for chroma interpolation. Which GPU is fast enough?

Check the GPU utilization (e.g. with ProcessExplorer), is it used to capacity?
GPU is GTX680
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:51   #18859  |  Link
rahzel

Hi madshi,

I see this bug has been reported, but I just want to say that I have the same issue. Using the latest Intel drivers on my HD4000 (3570K) the seekbar doesn't disappear on some videos. Reverting back to the previous driver solves it.

Using same drivers as the bug report above, but I'm using MPC HC, LAV 0.57.

Last edited by rahzel; 23rd May 2013 at 16:39.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 18:03   #18860  |  Link
petran79

Quote:
"lower in quality"

Is the refresh rate properly detected? Is the problem still there with the old rendering path?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback as you are the second person mentioning that 660's are unusable with mVR on XP and I was just about to order one.....I guess I'll have to find the motivation to install and thorougly testbed W7/W8 before ordering a new GPU, bummer....but apparently W8 comes with its own bag of new problems, m$ doesn't want to release W7 SP2(critical hotfixes were released for audio & USB since SP1) and madshi might very well not care all that much about XP anymore. Oh well, don't fix it if it's ain't broken and I'll be saving money in the process too I guess ^^

by lower quality I mean if it is encoded in XVID or DIVX that is lower in resources. If its in H264, problem is more likely to occur.

But you have to forget about MadVR Jinc algorithm. Video are totally useless with dropped frames.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling