Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 12th September 2017, 19:43   #561  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I read the latest log, am I right to assume some improvements in supporting true BD subs have been achieved?

For ASS/SSA/SRT there are zillions of software supporting them...
Old 13th September 2017, 07:32   #562  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I read the latest log, am I right to assume some improvements in supporting true BD subs have been achieved?
Probably not... what do you mean by "true BD"?
SE can import/export BD sup + BD TextST (import also from ts/m2ts/mkv/mp4).
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 10:09   #563  |  Link
von Suppé

Nikse, I found out something.

Before you furtherly go put a lot of effort in SUP output size, or waste tons of batteries calculating some size-equation between Aegisub and SE; this was never an issue in SE 353!

After some comparison tests, and having read back a few pages I realized that the SE 353 problems I initially posted were about the remembering of lineheights and some more. Because I'm so busy focussing on these issues, I plainly overlooked the fact that the SUP-preview, -quality and -size problems were introduced in later beta's. I was stunned, really... and I deeply apologize for the trouble you have taken to solve this non-problem
I could have prevented it if I had payed more attention when the non-issue became an issue when beta's came out.

So, keep whatever formula you had in SE 353 concerning the SUP quality & size.

But, when releasing a new version, please do add the better features the latest beta does have concerning:

1 - proper remembering of Line heigths for each ASSA Style
2 - proper list-view of different styles AND the "Style column" itself (these are great!)
3 - the Alpha setting, border- and shadow colors are greyed out in latest beta. As it should, my guess, as these features are defined bij ASSA style itself.
4 - posibility to chose pixels or percentage in bottom- and left/right margins (when working with srt, that is)

One thing concerning the SUP output still:
After a quick test with one ASSA Style only (because of the heigth setting remembering issue) and the same subtitle as SRT file, I experienced that the sizes of the subtitle windows (checked with BDSub2Sup) were the same, but some differences in positioning take place. I think this has to do with the "Left/right margin" settings, that are not greyed out in the SUP export window. As the horizontal and vertical margins are defined within an ASSA Style, maybe it must be "disabled"? I am not sure if these offset values do the same in Aegisub, compared to SE though...

Last edited by von Suppé; 13th September 2017 at 10:27.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 13:06   #564  |  Link
Nikse555

@von Suppé: I think I'll keep the current beta sizes... fits somewhat with what mpv/vlc shows.
About the quality stuff - I cannot see anything here and I cannot see any reason why quality should be changed.
thx about the "margin" settings - was not taken from ASSA, but this should also be fixed in latest beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Old 13th September 2017, 15:13   #565  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
Probably not... what do you mean by "true BD"?
SE can import/export BD sup + BD TextST (import also from ts/m2ts/mkv/mp4).
These are "true BD" subs, not various formats mostly based on SRT or SSA ...

That it can import (then even process them eg via OCR) is known to me since a very old version I use from time to time.
But my old version rearrange them (it disregards the position on screen) and also does not change the colours but rudimentary ...

Anyway, thank you for this software...
Old 13th September 2017, 16:35   #566  |  Link
von Suppé

Thanks for the latest beta, I'll go test again.

Quote:
fits somewhat with what mpv/vlc shows.
Do you mean during playback in the video-window? I have always experienced the same fontstyle, color and size, whatever Style I use.

Edit:
Quote:
I think I'll keep the current beta sizes...
I would highly regret that. When creating a style in Aegisub, the preview now approx. matches the way it looks in SE 353 preview. New beta preview doesn't look like it. Changing it like latest beta's has an overall effect on how the font looks. I think this has to do with ratio between the size itself and the numbers used in the "Outline" and "Shadow" boxes. I would hate to create an ASSA Style in Aegisub to look good, and then have to edit those styles in SE to meet my initially intended looks.

By the way, I found out that when opening an *.ass file and saving it again as [othername].ass file, I am unable to open that [othername].ass file with Aegisub. Whereas the other way around is going ok. Aren't .ass files supposed to be interchangeable in SE <--> Aegisub both in both directions?

Last edited by von Suppé; 13th September 2017 at 17:30.
Old 13th September 2017, 19:47   #567  |  Link
Nikse555

And... a new beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

Border/shadow code back to 3.3.5 build 1 release - better?

Thx for the info about the file not loading in Aegisub... was simply a bug in SE (could not handle [Events] being last). Should also be fixed in latest beta.
Old 15th September 2017, 08:37   #568  |  Link
von Suppé

Thanks again, Nikse. I'll go testing again.

Cheers

Edit: First tests look good, thanks. During more verbose tests I found out that with SUP export the right margin value in ASSA style is off.
I created some styles with left - & right margins at 15. Left is okay, but right margin comes out too large? (Video reolution set to 1920x1080)

Last edited by von Suppé; 16th September 2017 at 10:21.
Old 18th September 2017, 15:20   #569  |  Link
Music Fan

@ Nikse555 : when opening a TS containing 2 DVB-SUP, the parsing is done and we have to select one sup, then the OCR window appears. But after exporting it in Blu-ray Sup, we can't select the other sup without re-parsing the whole TS.
Could you add the possibility to select the sup's from the OCR window (or let the selection window opened) to avoid a new parsing ?
Thanks !

Last edited by Music Fan; 18th September 2017 at 15:27.
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 18:33   #570  |  Link
Nikse555

@Music Fan: Hm, I could add a "Save as..." button like in the DVD rip menu. Test version here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip (it saves as raw PES packets - don't know if other programs will be able to handle this).

@von Suppé + any ASSA gurus: I've added support for right margin from ASSA files (used left margin earlier, beta above includes this fix), but now I'm even more confused about the ASSA font size.
If PlayResX/PlayResY is defined - how does that influence the font size? In your "Segoe Script and AgencyFB.ass" file the res is set to 1090x1080 which clearly makes the font size smaller. Any help is much appreciated !

Last edited by Nikse555; 18th September 2017 at 18:43.
Old 19th September 2017, 09:49   #571  |  Link
jpsdr

In SSA/ASS all positions are absolute according the video size defined within the file with PlayResX & PlayResY, but became after relative according the size of the video frame. Of course, if size of video frame match the size defined within the SSA, the positions become also absolute.
Rules are following :
If no resolution is set, video is considered PlayResX=384, PlayRexY=288, finaly SRT is considered as the same thing than SSA with no resolution set.
If only PlayResX is set :
- If value is 1280, PlayResY is set to 1024.
- for any other value, PlayResY is set to 3/4*PlayResX.
If only PlayResY is set :
- If value is 1024, PlayResX is set to 1280.
- for any other value, PlayResX is set to 4/3*PlayResY.

So, any "size" thing related is relative to PlayResX/Y. If your PlayResX/Y is set to 640x480, and a font size is set to 30. If your video is 1280x960, your font size will be adjusted to 60, on the other hand, if your video is 320x240, your font size will be adjusted to 15.
I don't know the rule for a change aspect ratio. If your video is 1280x720, i don't know if you adjust your font size by (1280/640) or (720/480) or the average or anything else...
There is no complete document spec for ASS/SSA (there is things, but not complete), the answer i've always found was finaly "the full spec for ASS/SSA is the code source of vsfilter"...
jpsdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 10:02   #572  |  Link
Music Fan

This reminds me the problem I have with DVB-SUP whose size is not the same after extraction by SE. When extracted to Blu-ray Sup and remuxed with TSMuxer (which doesn't convert sup), the subtitle is much smaller than when the original ts is played with VLC or MPC-HC. But I don't recode the video, thus the sup should have the same size.

@ Nikse555 : thanks, I will test it as soon as I record another video including 2 DVB-sup.
Old 19th September 2017, 10:05   #573  |  Link
jpsdr

sup/sub/idx is even more troublesome that it's a layer picture displayed over the video, it's not text based, so, if you don't resize the picture, it will be smaller.
Old 19th September 2017, 10:10   #574  |  Link
Music Fan

Why ? A simple extraction and format conversion without resizing should not induce size change.
Old 19th September 2017, 11:34   #575  |  Link
jpsdr

My bad, i've misunderstood what you wrote. One test you can make in that case is to extract the sup also with eac3to for exemple, and compare the TSMuxer result with the sup extracted with SE. But indeed, a sup extracted and remuxed on a video with the same size it's extracted from should produce the same result.
Or maybe... i don't know exactly what is "DVB-SUP", so maybe my assumption is wrong... Is it a way to call a .sup extracted from a Blu-Ray ?
Old 19th September 2017, 11:47   #576  |  Link
Music Fan

No, it's a sup extracted from a ts recorded with a STB (VU+).
Old 19th September 2017, 19:51   #577  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
...In your "Segoe Script and AgencyFB.ass" file the res is set to 1090x1080...
I assume this is a typo??

Script properties in Aegisub states 1920x1080

Thanks for latest beta, will go testing again.
Old 20th September 2017, 10:59   #578  |  Link
Music Fan

edit ;
@ Nikse555 : I tested the pes saving option, there is still a parsing when opening the ts, how to use it ?
If I open the pes file, it opens directly one of the subtitles and the timecodes are not good.

Instead of a "save as" button, could you make an automatic saving for ts parsings to avoid to save it each time ? Or add an option in the settings to activate it or not ?

Last edited by Music Fan; 26th September 2017 at 08:11. Reason: errors
Old 26th September 2017, 01:16   #579  |  Link
Crash82

Double italic symbols issue

I'm hoping it's okay I'm asking

here I have a small issue in SE

I'm getting this now and then "<i>italic</i>... <i>?</i>" on one line in ocr and I don't know how to make it look like <i>italic...?</i> beside going through each line every time and fix it.
And it does not seem that fix common errors it's able to fix it either and I don't know if it's possible to manually add something to that function somehow.
I also looked into Multiple replace function but I'm not using that functions that much so I don't know exactly how to use it, but I see it's possible to add a regular expression so maybe that will work but I don't know anything about that, I have tried to Google it but I'm not sure what I'm looking for

Hope someone can help me
Thanks in advance

-----------------------------------update-----------------------------------------------------
After I posted about my issue I continue doing some testing
and of course I found out a way to fix my problem.

I don't know if any of you guys have try to have problems for days you can't fix
as soon as you're asking for help you'll find a solution.

I just added to the Multiple replace </i>... <i> to ...

Last edited by Crash82; 26th September 2017 at 01:45.
Crash82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 10:07   #580  |  Link
von Suppé

Never mind, sorry...