Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd April 2018, 22:04   #50041  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Yes. I misspoke before about the image being washed out, what I meant was: if I set it the display's peak nits to 100 it looks closer to the SDR version of the film. If I set it to 200 nits, for example, the image is significantly darker.
That's normal behaviour. You can tweak it to your tastes. There is no exact formula for getting perfect HDR -> SDR or HDR -> HDR tone mapping. I don't think diffuse white would make it any better; it would probably make it worse.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 22:18   #50042  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
found a bug with D3D11, on my system anyway. I have an issue with MADVR where when you play a 3D movie (1080p) and you stop it I lose HDMI handshake going from 3D 1080p back to 4k 2160p. It does this every time. The workaround is to disable MADVR refresh rate switching and use your movies players switching instead, i've had this working for ages and its been fine up until recently.

recently I switched from DXVA copy back to D3D11 decoding as I found it was about 20% faster than DXVA on my system, what I had forgotten to test was 3D though which I tested today. Whats happening now is the same as what happens in MADVR, when I stop a 3D movie I get HDMI loss which cant be gained back easily without resetting it, I use HDMION.

If I switch back to DXVA copyback the problem goes away, I think its interesting that now both MADVR refresh rate switching and now D3D11 with MPC or KODI DS refresh rate switching causes the same problem, HDMI loss coming from out of a 1080p 3D connection back to a 2160 2d desktop.

Its very possible its connected issues with FSE which is required on most systems for 3D playback.

Both issues happen with with AMD RX cards, i havent tested my NVIDA 1050 but this also had HDMI handshake issue coming out of 3D for me too.

Another workaround would be to run your PC desktop in 1080p but who wants to do that when you've got a 4k display, this also explains why most people dont see this, there are still fewer people with 4k displays than 1080p ones.

I'll post this on both MADVR and LAV forums as the issues seems to be connected now.
Sounds like an issue i've been having lately on a Titan XP, complete HDMI loss after playback of HDR/3D sometimes. I'm using D3D11 as well. May just need to go back to the tried and true copy-back.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 22:46   #50043  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
Sounds like an issue i've been having lately on a Titan XP, complete HDMI loss after playback of HDR/3D sometimes. I'm using D3D11 as well. May just need to go back to the tried and true copy-back.
I tried the last three AMD drivers, no difference, its defo an issue with D3D11, soon as i switched back to COPYBACK all my black screens stopped.

it still takes a few seconds to drop in and out of mode but it always comes back now.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:13   #50044  |  Link
brazen1

Using D3D11 Native FSE for stereoscopic with NVidia. Using D3D11 Native windowed for HDR with NVidia. I get none of the bugs you guys are reporting. Desktop and KODI resolutions are both at 2160p and match refresh rates set in madVR for external players and in KODI for when videoplayer is used. Use fullscreen window in KODI is enabled fwiw. 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60 No idea why you set DSPlayer up completely the opposite but this may be why one problem leads to another which leads to another which leads to another? These problems are not video cards or madVR or LAV Filters imo.

Last edited by brazen1; 3rd April 2018 at 23:24.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:55   #50045  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Using D3D11 Native FSE for stereoscopic with NVidia. Using D3D11 Native windowed for HDR with NVidia. I get none of the bugs you guys are reporting. Desktop and KODI resolutions are both at 2160p and match refresh rates set in madVR for external players and in KODI for when videoplayer is used. Use fullscreen window in KODI is enabled fwiw. 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60 No idea why you set DSPlayer up completely the opposite but this may be why one problem leads to another which leads to another which leads to another? These problems are not video cards or madVR or LAV Filters imo.
Just because someone has an issue and someone else doesn't, doesn't mean it's a user or setup error. I'm doing the same things as you just described, and still get signal loss after HDR/3D playback every now and then like him. I must power cycle my receiver to regain video.

HDMI is a fragile interface that can have handshaking issues for one person, and none for the other, even on identical hardware, cables, and software. Not even the same hardware is created equal, there can be batch exclusive issues of the same model numbers. Computers are way too complex to think "I don't have this issue, so there is no issue or they are doing something wrong".

Last edited by tyrindor; 4th April 2018 at 00:01.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 00:26   #50046  |  Link
brazen1

Think what you want. You are doing something different. Hence, the problems labeled bugs.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 03:21   #50047  |  Link
Asmodian

I have noticed that receivers are much more finicky. I suspect most differences are due to receiver and displays, not user or config errors.

Driver weirdness is real too, I have had reinstalling the same GPU drivers again solve issues way too many times.
Old 4th April 2018, 11:18   #50048  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Video Renderer

i knew it, it was just way too late for me, my brain couldnt function anymore, haha..
Of course its Video Renderer...im so stupid..

Thanks.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 14:24   #50049  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I have noticed that receivers are much more finicky. I suspect most differences are due to receiver and displays, not user or config errors.

Driver weirdness is real too, I have had reinstalling the same GPU drivers again solve issues way too many times.
Yeah i think my next step will be clean reinstall of gpu drivers and see if this help with my issues, hopefully yeah. Do you know how i can check if my custom mode is actually in use?
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 15:24   #50050  |  Link
Warner306

I was able to use a perfect pixel clock after reinstalling my drivers. Previously, the best I could do was one frame drop every 19 minutes.

I ran DDU and reinstalled the drivers (which was scary because the GPU was not detected and I had to look at Windows Update to see the drivers were downloading).

My stock clock improved from one frame drop every three minutes to one frame drop every 12 minutes. And, as stated, custom modes would now accept more modes.

So I think a lot of problems with custom modes comes down to improper driver installation.
Old 4th April 2018, 16:43   #50051  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I was able to use a perfect pixel clock after reinstalling my drivers. Previously, the best I could do was one frame drop every 19 minutes.

I ran DDU and reinstalled the drivers (which was scary because the GPU was not detected and I had to look at Windows Update to see the drivers were downloading).

My stock clock improved from one frame drop every three minutes to one frame drop every 12 minutes. And, as stated, custom modes would now accept more modes.

So I think a lot of problems with custom modes comes down to improper driver installation.
Do I need to re run test mode again for custom modes or I can use the one already calculated there before fresh drivers?
Old 4th April 2018, 17:04   #50052  |  Link
clsid

Do it again.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 17:20   #50053  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Hmmmm, that's quite interesting. I'm thinking a windows reinstall is in my future. That could prove interesting.
Old 4th April 2018, 17:27   #50054  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Hmmmm, that's quite interesting. I'm thinking a windows reinstall is in my future. That could prove interesting.
Nah nah sir I can't be bothered to deal with that anymore hehe it is never a fun. But maybe a second OS on diff partition, clean just to check and see, would be way easier then reinstall everything etc for no reason if it won't make any difference
Old 4th April 2018, 17:38   #50055  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Nah nah sir I can't be bothered to deal with that anymore hehe it is never a fun. But maybe a second OS on diff partition, clean just to check and see, would be way easier then reinstall everything etc for no reason if it won't make any difference
In my case I have other reasons to do a clean install. I do think in my case it'll end up helping my madvr performance a bit and allow me to crank up some settings that I've had to relax which will impact my overall PQ. Right now I have madvr dialed in fairly well for my 1060 but if a reinstall can give me a little bit more performance, then I will surely put it to good use. LOL
Old 4th April 2018, 17:43   #50056  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
In my case I have other reasons to do a clean install. I do think in my case it'll end up helping my madvr performance a bit and allow me to crank up some settings that I've had to relax which will impact my overall PQ. Right now I have madvr dialed in fairly well for my 1060 but if a reinstall can give me a little bit more performance, then I will surely put it to good use. LOL
Fair play, let us know if did improve after fresh windows
Old 4th April 2018, 18:32   #50057  |  Link
Warner306

I would start with the driver rather than reinstall the entire OS. It is unlikely madVR performance will improve at all. It is mostly worried about your GPU.
Old 4th April 2018, 20:11   #50058  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Fair play, let us know if did improve after fresh windows
Quote:
I would start with the driver rather than reinstall the entire OS. It is unlikely madVR performance will improve at all. It is mostly worried about your GPU.
Well, I needed a clean Windows install anyway, so, it was time.

Full clean install, clean driver install, and reinstalled J River MC24. Kept most of my madvr settings although for some reason it didn't pick up the same devices. I say this only because I don't know if it's relevant or not. Exact same device names but madvr detected them as new and greyed out the old ones. Anyway, set those up again and left everything else the same in madvr as it was before. I'm still getting some drops/repeated frames when bitstreaming, but, it's certainly a hell of a lot better out of the box than it was. We're talking 1 every 5 or so minutes. That's before attempting any custom res settings so this gives me hope that I may be able to solve the issue when I get some time later. Rendering times for the settings I have are around 15ms which is good. Haven't played with 3D yet to see how that goes. I'm not recommending people go reinstall windows, however. Simply saying that I needed to anyway and now that I have it certainly has improved things. Most likely, as you said, it's all driver related.
Old 5th April 2018, 03:57   #50059  |  Link
MrDVader

Can I down convert 2160p to 1080p but retain WCG bt2020 color space?

I have a JVC DLA-RS400 projector which up-converts to 4k and can do HDR, albeit, badly (the HDR that is).

However, my existing HTPC setup is not ideal for 4k due to HDMI cable length and aging HD7950 graphics card.

So, is it possible to down convert but retain the wide color gammet content? If so, how should I setup the MadVR HDR settings? I'm running win7 to a 1080p Denon receiver (which prevents passing 4k to the projector.
MrDVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 07:17   #50060  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

@Madshi

I have been following your work on the AVS forum re HDR to SDR conversion with corrective tone mapping - what are the chances of MadVR being able to trigger HDR, but perform the same corrective type of processing (as some suspect the OS HDR Toggle does)?

Would be amazing if possible, as so many HDR releases are badly mastered.

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 5th April 2018 at 08:53.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling