Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd February 2012, 19:11   #11981  |  Link
PrayForMojo

Hope somebody can give me a suggestion.
I like the MadVR renderer but one thing I'm missing is the shapen complex 2 shader option in MPCHC.
Is there a way to get this feature back or an alternative way of accomplishing the same thing?

Thanks in advance.
PrayForMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 00:46   #11982  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForMojo View Post
I like the MadVR renderer but one thing I'm missing is the shapen complex 2 shader option in MPCHC.
Is there a way to get this feature back or an alternative way of accomplishing the same thing?

Thanks in advance.
If you can use the same shader/use a function with the same effect in avisynth you can run the avisynth script using your media player that uses madVR and it will send the video with the effect done to it to the player.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 09:20   #11983  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
"shapen complex" is a feature of another renderers (EVR CP, VMR9r), so you can't "get it back" in madVR.
If your video is smaller than screen size you can try a "sharper" luma scalers - spline, lanczos.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 16:06   #11984  |  Link
jaagil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaagil View Post
Is there any reason I should use Fullscreen Exclusive mode with my Desktop?
And is there "best" settings to MPC-HC?
I've been using the libavs that come with madvr to decode 10bit files, no problems whatsoever, and haven't had any problems with the windowed mode either, I guess it is normal to get few dropped frames when you go from window -> fullscreen (in windowed mode) and when you Jump Forward / Backward ? Thanks.
This thread goes so fast!
jaagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 16:38   #11985  |  Link
Xaurus

madshi,

Any updates on any new version of madvr?
Old 4th February 2012, 18:43   #11986  |  Link
PrayForMojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
"shapen complex" is a feature of another renderers (EVR CP, VMR9r), so you can't "get it back" in madVR.
If your video is smaller than screen size you can try a "sharper" luma scalers - spline, lanczos.
That's why I asked if there was an alternative way of doing it for the same effect. As it stands right now, the higher resolution content looks better to my eyes on my equipment with evr+sharpen complex 2.
For lower resolution stuff, madvr is clearly superior and all i want is that slight boost in sharpness that I prefer.

Last edited by PrayForMojo; 4th February 2012 at 18:53.
Old 4th February 2012, 18:45   #11987  |  Link
PrayForMojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golagoda View Post
If you can use the same shader/use a function with the same effect in avisynth you can run the avisynth script using your media player that uses madVR and it will send the video with the effect done to it to the player.
hey, do you know if the avisynth method is post resize? I want sharpness after all the resizing and whatever is done , not before.

I must tell you that I read up some guides online and some of the avisynth stuff is way over my head.
Old 4th February 2012, 21:19   #11988  |  Link
Owyn

btw, I switched to madvr + ffdshow and in ctrl+j it says i'm correctly playing hi10p videos with 10bit and P010 color output, is that really so? Do I need LAV anyway or all is fine?

Last edited by Owyn; 4th February 2012 at 21:25.
Owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 21:59   #11989  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
madshi,

Any updates on any new version of madvr?
get used to it, development and updates of madshis products stretches over a few years of time. there are long periods with no apparent progress (for us).

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 4th February 2012 at 22:04.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 22:17   #11990  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
As it stands right now, the higher resolution content looks better to my eyes on my equipment with evr+sharpen complex 2.
For lower resolution stuff, madvr is clearly superior and all i want is that slight boost in sharpness that I prefer.
Not much you can do here. You can enable gamma processing in madVR settings. Set it to Pure power curve ~2,45, start playback and press Ctrl+Shft+Alt+C few times to make sure its enabled.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 20:34   #11991  |  Link
Gser

If you want sharpening just use FFDShow and perhaps some sharpening filters threw its avisynth feature.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 21:21   #11992  |  Link
Remicade

I calibrate TV using native resolution 1360*768 (black bar at 16 in AVSHD709), I start madvr with 1080p23 (1920*1080 23,976 refrsh rate) in list all display mode and appers all black bars in AVS 709. It is normal ? In 1360*768 I use Video Levels in madVR options.
Remicade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 22:02   #11993  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remicade View Post
I calibrate TV using native resolution 1360*768 (black bar at 16 in AVSHD709), I start madvr with 1080p23 (1920*1080 23,976 refrsh rate) in list all display mode and appers all black bars in AVS 709. It is normal ? In 1360*768 I use Video Levels in madVR options.
If you are already calibrated your TV, remember to check "display is already calibrated" and fill the necessary information... Are you sure your tv is calibrated to use 16-235 instead of full-RGB? Remember also tweak graphic drivers to give the right settings...
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 05:14   #11994  |  Link
Remicade

The problem is in 1366*768 I have Video Levels and in 1920*1080 I have PC levels. The black become gray. Why ? Only I change resolution and refresh rate.
Remicade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 18:20   #11995  |  Link
aufkrawall

What are the drawbacks when I disable "present several frames in advance" for full screen exclusive mode?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 18:49   #11996  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
What are the drawbacks when I disable "present several frames in advance" for full screen exclusive mode?
It just makes the exclusive mode work like it did before, which is better than the new one for me with recent nvidia drivers (although I'm having lip sync issues atm and I'm wondering if it could be related to any of this).

I don't know if the new mode is meant to be "universally better", but IIRC madshi said that it was meant to be even better regarding tearing (and maybe stuttering?) than the old one.

What I know for sure is that windowed mode can also work well enough for some people and that with recent nvidia drivers the old mode is flawless regarding performance and smoothness while the new one suffers from constant presentation glitches (on my machine that is).
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 19:50   #11997  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
What I know for sure is that windowed mode can also work well enough for some people and that with recent nvidia drivers the old mode is flawless regarding performance and smoothness while the new one suffers from constant presentation glitches (on my machine that is).
Because of these performance issues I asked.
With the new mode I don't even dare to watch videos with very high bitrate, it's not an option.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 22:05   #11998  |  Link
oddball

MadVR decoder does not play ball with ReClock. I get video stream not found. Note: I only use ReClock for PAL 'Film' speedown. Vsync is off. It would be nice if it worked alongside it. For now I use LAV Filters which work for most video. I think MadVR's decoders also don't work alongside ffdshow RAW filters from what I can tell. I guess my decoding needs are just too esoteric for MadVR to deal with.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 22:06   #11999  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

madVRs decoders can't work with ffdshow raw or ReClock. Its just designed in such a way that its impossible. They are not separate decoders, they are directly included in madVR - you cannot hook anything in there, no ffdshow raw, and also not ReClocks video stream detector.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:13   #12000  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Madshi said pixel shader support is on the todo list. I found ffdshow's unsharp mask with a strength of 13 to be just as sharp with less aliasing than sharpen complex 2. It's also very light on resources.

The other ffdshow sharpen filters didn't agree with my eyes. LSF/LSFmod and SeeSaw are highly regarded avisynth sharpener's but they weren't usable on anything but SD even when using SetMTMode, too many dropped frames.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling