Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 13th June 2017, 23:11   #21  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
You could very well be correct, but jdobbs rightly recommends certain versions that he has tested and can certify to work correctly with his application. I suppose he is always evaluating possible tool upgrades and if users are requesting an update he would respond when possible.
Unfortunately not...

jdobbs only updates the required versions of the additional tools after some PITA users like me nag him to do so - like here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...48#post1728448

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 23:18   #22  |  Link
hbenthow

Quote:
So revert it. You have had several experts advise you but won't try following their advice. So do whatever you have to do and get over it. Just in case you didn't think of it, you can try the offered advice and if it doesn't work out, then you can revert. That may allow you to retain your beloved Zoom Player.
I'd hardly call Zoom Player "beloved" at this point. I have yet to even try it out and find out whether I like it.

Quote:
Time for me to walk away from this thread, just as jdobbs did from one of your other threads.
I can't blame you. I'm extremely paranoid when it comes to all things digital, due to a combination of obsessive-compulsive disorder and previous experiences with serious computer problems (in a nutshell, two computers in the past year had serious problems due to problems that have never been identified despite myriad tests, so the slightest hint of a problem with my current computer sends my stress levels through the roof and typically causes me to scurry for the most "nuclear" option to make sure the threat is gone). The results can unfortunately be extremely frustrating for anyone attempting to advise me on such matters.

Regarding my mistake about when DGDecIM was last updated, that was due to my finding a web page that I assumed was from the codec's creator which claimed to feature the newest version but which hadn't been updated since 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
It's true you need specific hardware and have to buy a licence. So far it is worth every penny for me.

If the output wasn't perfect I wouldn't use it and I guess it's the same for all others using it.

But I don't want to say you have to use it. It's your decision of course. There is no best or worst. It all depends on your personal needs.
I see. I think that I'll stick with DirectShow for the time being, as it has worked well for me so far.

Quote:
Regarding your player software I cannot help. I just use MPC with MadVR.
I also have MPC-HC, although I don't remember whether it installed MadVR.

Is there any chance that MadVR, DirectVobSub, DCoder Image Source, Bass Audio Decoder, or 3DYD Youtube Source could interfere with BD Rebuilder in any way? I'm not familiar enough with any of these codecs to know.

If not, I suppose that I could try uninstalling LAV Filters through the Zoom Player Install Center, then manually reinstalling it.

Are there any other of the codecs that you would recommend either uninstalling or reinstalling?

Last edited by hbenthow; 13th June 2017 at 23:36.
hbenthow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 23:48   #23  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

OK, you may be sincere so I won't walk away (yet).

Do you have any indication at all that BDRB is not working correctly after you installed Zoom Player, other than jdobbs' CYA statement? It's quite possible and indeed likely that ggtop, manolito, clsid, and others here (all of them are experts) are correct that the latest LAV won't cause any issues at all. Can't you just run a few backups and see, just as clsid suggested?

Nobody is going to give you any guarantees about what Zoom Player may or may not have screwed up. If you are paranoid then revert. Why waste the time of experts and this forum's bandwidth with paranoid speculations, when you could so easily answer your own questions? Enjoying the attention?

BTW, DGDecIM is not a codec. Just out of curiosity, what web site was it? Weren't looking for cracks, were you? If you are too poor for the donation I'll be happy to give you a free license, though since you're happy with DSS, why bother, right?

Last edited by videoh; 14th June 2017 at 00:06.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 00:04   #24  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Unfortunately not...

jdobbs only updates the required versions of the additional tools after some PITA users like me nag him to do so - like here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...48#post1728448
Well, he did update to LAV 0.65 as requested, didn't he? Maybe it's just that you would like to see things happen faster, while jdobbs is more conservative and cautious so as not to introduce possible issues to an application that is tightly coupled to a lot of third-party tools. If it were me, I would err on the side of caution too. Maybe polite and respectful requests would work better than shaming.
Old 14th June 2017, 00:28   #25  |  Link
hbenthow

Quote:
Do you have any indication at all that BDRB is not working correctly after you installed Zoom Player, other than jdobbs' CYA statement? It's quite possible and indeed likely that manolito, clsid, and others here (all of them are experts) are correct that the latest LAV won't cause any issues at all. Can't you just run a few backups and see, just as clsid suggested?
I haven't opened BD Rebuilder since the incident, as I thought that it might sense the changes, make adjustments because of them, and thus make it more difficult to later go back to the recommended version of LAV.

Quote:
Nobody is going to give you any guarantees about what Zoom Player may or may not have screwed up. If you are paranoid then revert. Why waste the time of experts and this forum's bandwidth with paranoid speculations, when you could so easily answer your own questions? Enjoying the attention?
I just hoped that someone knew for sure whether each codec generally runs a risk of messing up BD Rebuilder or some commonly-used software.

Quote:
BTW, DGDecIM is not a codec. Just out of curiosity, what web site was it? Weren't looking for cracks, were you?
I had simply googled DGDecIM (just the name by itself) in order to find more information about it and found this page (the OP of which was last edited in 2014):

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170237

As most of the other Google results appeared to be from amateur blogs, the Avisynth Wiki page, etc, I assumed that the program itself was only available on that page, and that the version linked to in the OP must be the latest.

By the way, before I received your last reply (the one which I am currently responding to), I had gone ahead and used the Zoom Player Install Center to uninstall LAV in order to prepare to manually reinstall jdobbs' recommended version (0.65). Should I now go ahead with the reinstallation of LAV Filters 0.65?

Quote:
If you are too poor for the donation I'll be happy to give you a free license, though since you're happy with DSS, why bother, right?
I am in general happy with DirectShow. I've only had problems with it about three times (EDIT: actually I don't know if DirectShow had anything to do with the problems, I can only narrow them down so far as BD Rebuilder itself - "problems while using it" would have been a better phrase to use than "problems with it"), and I think that those were due to problems with how the source files themselves were encoded (and I found work-arounds for all but one of them anyhow).

My main concern right now is with getting my system "back to normal" as far as BD Rebuilder is concerned (rather than trying anything new). Afterward, I would have all the time in the world to choose to change codecs, frameservers, etc, at my leisure if I so wished.

As for DGDecIM, please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the quote below mean that it only runs on Intel processors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
DGDecNV uses NVidia while DGDecIM works on Intel Chips (incl. SW Decoding)
If it can run on AMD graphics, could you please show me a link to a resource where I can read more information about it?

Last edited by hbenthow; 14th June 2017 at 00:32.
Old 14th June 2017, 00:33   #26  |  Link
DrinkLyeAndDie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbenthow View Post
Does BD Rebuilder need MadVR? Part of the problem with these installed codecs is that other than LAV, I don't know whether I had any of the others installed (or need them) before Zoom Player installed its new versions. The only way to find out exactly what I had before is to revert to the last system image backup that i made before installing Zoom Player
BD-RB does not use MadVR at all, AFAIK. But, Zoom Player can make use of MadVR and LAV Filters as does other software. So I have both installed.

Quote:
Also, Zoom Player installed various other codecs (DirectVobSub, DCoder Image Source, Bass Audio Decoder, and 3DYD Youtube Source), none of which I trust not to mess with BD Rebuilder or some other program in some way or another, so I'm rather pessimistic about the possibility of getting my system back to normal without reverting to my last system image (and thus eliminating Zoom Player as well).
Looking at Install Center on my system I have LAV Filters, MadVR, DirectVobSub, 7-zip Archive Extractor, FFDShow, and Haali's Media Splitter installed. None of them were installed by Zoom Player and the rest are not installed at all on my system.

Note: Minus LAV Filters the FFDShow and Haali Media Splitter are the versions linked to from the first post in the BD-RB Bug Report thread. MadVR was manually installed as was 7-zip. Have no recollection of where DirectVobSub came in.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether Zoom Player is any good or not. It looks like it might be better for me just to do without it and use VLC.
Zoom Player has pluses and minuses. I've used it on and off for years as I have with VLC. It's really up to the individual user to decide which is better for them and their needs.

Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 14th June 2017 at 08:20.
DrinkLyeAndDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 01:21   #27  |  Link
hbenthow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
BD-RB does not use MadVR at all, AFAIK. But, Zoom Player can MadVR and LAV Filters as does other software. So I have both installed.
I think I'll leave MadVR and the other non-LAV programs and codecs installed by Zoom Player alone, then. If BD Rebuilder doesn't access them, it shouldn't harm anything.

I'll install LAV Filters 0.65, then open BD Rebuilder as an administrator. That will hopefully be enough to avoid any future problems with BD Rebuilder.
Old 14th June 2017, 01:22   #28  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
...could you please show me a link to a resource where I can read more information about it?
Only at an amateur blog.

Anyway, it's obvious you're a troll because no-one could be so clueless. Congratulations, you got me.

Last edited by videoh; 14th June 2017 at 01:26.
Old 14th June 2017, 01:40   #29  |  Link
hbenthow

I have now reinstalled LAV Filters and opened BD Rebuilder as an administrator (which seemingly caused it to apply the proper settings).

Quote:
Anyway, it's obvious you're a troll because no-one could be so clueless. Congratulations, you got me.
I'm not a troll.

I just try to find out about as many details about the computer issues that I face as possible, in case one of the questions turns out to have an answer that involves real consequences.

One quote has been my motto when asking computer-related questions for some time now is one that a user on Ten Forums uses as his signature: "There are no dumb questions, just the people who do not ask them." (Its meaning is that there's no question too dumb to ask, as it would be dumber to avoid asking a potentially important question because it seems like a dumb one at the time). I've taken that message to heart ever since I read it, largely because there have been times when asking a question that seemed like a dumb one that didn't need asking at the time would have saved me trouble that not asking it wound up causing me to endure. I take the saying "It's better to be safe than sorry" to extremes at times, but it's partially because experience has told me that it's better to be too cautious than not cautious enough (not that either is without its negatives).

In any case, I hope that the course of action which I have taken avoids any future issues. Thank you for your help, and I'm sorry for any aggravation that I've caused you.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:17   #30  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Well, he did update to LAV 0.65 as requested, didn't he? Maybe it's just that you would like to see things happen faster, while jdobbs is more conservative and cautious so as not to introduce possible issues to an application that is tightly coupled to a lot of third-party tools. If it were me, I would err on the side of caution too. Maybe polite and respectful requests would work better than shaming.
But there is always hope that people who request something are just too shy or too modest to add the sentence "Donation is on the way ...."
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bd rebuilder, codecs, incompatibility, lav filters