Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 13th April 2002, 11:40   #1  |  Link
Torne

Cannot add subtitles to an .ogm

I am using OggDS 0.9.9.0 and SubtitleDS 1.1.2.2 and whatever I do I can't make the subtitles work =)

I am trying to convert an AVI to an OGM so that I don't need to have the SubRip file seperately - the original AVI is DivX and two CBR MP3 streams (compressed with the Fraunhofer IIS codec and muxed with AVIMux). I used GraphEdit to create an AVI containing just the video (split, throw two streams away, mux, save), and two MP3 files containing the audio tracks.

Nothing I do (muxing using GraphEdit or OggMux 0.8.1) seems to work - the video and audio mux fine and I can select which audio track I want from the Language menu in WMP6.4, but there is never an option for the subtitles, and if I load the final .ogm into GraphEdit and select 'enable all outputs' for the Ogg Splitter filter, there is no subtitle pin, just one video and two audio. The Subtitle Mixer appears correctly in the graph but with no input data it's just doing nothing.

I read that there were (possibly?) some problems with MP3 - is this just VBR/ABR MP3 or CBR as well? In any case I also tried muxing the .ogm with no audio track at all, just video and subs, and there still didn't seem to be a subtitle stream in the file.

I have had no other problems using Ogg containers - I have ripped several videos to Ogg with multiple Vorbis audio tracks - I just can't make subtitles work.

Any suggestions?

(Yes, I did press the add button *grin*)

Thanks,

Torne
Torne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 18:32   #2  |  Link
hofmetzger
time to change

Re: Cannot add subtitles to an .ogm

Quote:
Originally posted by Torne

I am trying to convert an AVI to an OGM so that I don't need to have the SubRip file seperately
who told u this? do u think u have them in your avi-file?afaik thats impossible.
-> you need a subrip-file for muxing to ogm.
(or do u have subtitles when playing your avi?)

and btw: the subtitlefilter appears always (in wmp), even if there are no subtitles muxed in the file.

Last edited by hofmetzger; 13th April 2002 at 18:34.
hofmetzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 19:07   #3  |  Link
Torne

I know already

The reason I want to convert this video to Ogg is because I currently have to distribute it as three files (though one isn't strictly neccecary).
I have an .avi, with video and two audio streams, an .mss to give hints to Morgan which stream is which (particularly since in this movie they're the same for the first 25 minutes *grin*), and an .srt with the subtitles, normally applied post-decode in the graph by DivXG400. I'm trying to put all the information into the one file. =)

I know the Sub Mixer filter always appears, I mentioned it as a note that the subtitle pack was installed and working. *grin*

Thanks anyway, though..

Torne
Old 14th April 2002, 00:28   #4  |  Link
Neo Neko

I generally use Vorbis in my OGG files. I have never had great luck with MP3. Also if I understand Tobias correctly you can use the subtitle filter to embed and render the subtitles in AVI as well. I do not know if either one of these might help you or point you in the right direction. I have not had much chance to play with the subtitle filters myself. But I will get some going here next week or so. Just alot of projects and due dates right now.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2002, 12:40   #5  |  Link
Torne

MP3 works perfectly for me but all the tracks I have tried using so far are true CBR tracks, not ABR/VBR. I am using Vorbis for my *new* video, but the already-encoded stuff I've converted to Ogg all has MP3 streams =)

(for reference, I encoded all my pre-Vorbis audio with lame --alt-preset cbr 160, or with the Radium hacked Fraunhofer codec)

I've not got a clue how to mux a subtitle stream into an AVI - tried playing with the AVI Mux filter in GraphEdit but it doesn't seem to work (the graph hangs and never writes more than 200k or so), and there is the problem that you don't seem to be able to mux non-PCM streams using that filter (I think.. I remember making it work before with an MP3 but not how, and it didn't work for 2 MP3 tracks).

Thanks,

T.