Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 7th January 2014, 04:08   #21  |  Link

Thank you, r0lZ, that is very helpful. And the job doesn't sound too difficult.

Quote:
Of course, it would be nice if the plugin could also accept a MPLS (or SSIF) file as input, but that requires probably some kind of demuxer, and I suppose it's a difficult and long work.
Not at all, I already have written an MPLS parser. However, can you please tell me what an SSIF file is? Thank you.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 04:36   #22  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

In 2D blu-ray discs, the MPLS references one or several M2TS files. For compatibility reasons, the same thing is true for 3D BDs. But a 3D player "knows" that it must replace the M2TS file(s) (from the BDMV/STREAM directory) with the file(s) with the same base name(s) but with the extension .ssif, from the BDMV/STREAM/SSIF directory. Only the 3D movies have one (or several) SSIF files in that directory. So, for example, 00001.mpls can reference, say, 00010.m2ts, and a 2D-only player will read that M2TS, but a 3D player will read 00010.ssif instead.

The 3D files are in fact made of 2 MPLS files for each "part". (In my previous example, the 2 mpls files can be 00010.m2ts and 00011.m2ts.) The first M2TS contains the AVC video stream and the audio and subtitle streams, exactly like on a 2D BD. The second M2TS contain usually only the MVC stream (but it can also contain subtitle streams, for a reason that I have never understood), and of course, it cannot be decoded by a 2D player, or without the AVC stream from the other file. That second M2TS file is ignored by the 2D players, and is not used when the 3D movie is watched in 2D on a 3D player.

The SSIF file contains the two M2TS files interleaved at the file system level. In other words, the data on disc contained in the SSIF file is the data of the two M2TS file, arranged in such a way that it is possible to read the two files without having to seek continually to different places on the disc. The SSIF file is therefore used when the 3D player must play the movie in 3D, and provides a fast access to the 2 M2TS files.

I don't know how your MPLS parser works, but of course, to decode a 3D movie, it must be able to read the corresponding SSIF file instead of the M2TS, to retrieve also the MVC stream. Or, if you prefer, it should read the two M2TS files at the same time, but I don't know if the second M2TS file is explicitly referenced in the MPLS. Anyway, if it is referenced, it's not in the normal way, as it must not be visible to the 2D-only players.

Sorry if I can't be more technical and explain exactly the differences in the MPLS file format. I have only written a GUI using other tools, and the decoding part is not my speciality.

Last edited by r0lZ; 7th January 2014 at 04:44.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 05:05   #23  |  Link

Thanks, it's starting to come together coherently in my aging brain.
Old 7th January 2014, 08:31   #24  |  Link
Nico8583

Thanks r0lZ for all your explanation

Here are some informations about Intel Media SDK (from Intel website or Intel forum) :
- Download Intel Media SDK
- Download Intel Media SDK tutorial

Informations about mvc_dec_filter.dll (a DirectShow sample MVC decoder include in Intel Media SDK and open source) :
Quote:
You should be able to use regular File Source Async Filter to read an MP4 MVC file, then connect it to Intel Media SDK MP4 splitter Filter and further to MVC Decoder Filter.

For rendering you need to use a custom EVR rendering approach as illustrated in the "custom_evr_presenter" sample.

Keep in mind that the Media SDK DirectShow samples are just sample code and may not fit all use cases. You may have to adapt the code to your needs. The binary splitters and muxers provided with the SDK are not fully capable so you may want to explore commercial or community supported split/mux components instead.
Informations about color space and output :
Quote:
Media SDK decoder only supports output to NV12 format (exception is the JPEG decoder which also supports direct RGB32 output). You can use Media SDK VPP to convert from NV12 to RGB32. If you need other color space format then you will have to use external color space conversion routine.

The Media SDK package includes several DirectShow source code samples.

Media SDK (Windows) samples are supplied with solution/project files for Microsoft Visual Studio.
Thanks !
Nico8583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 08:45   #25  |  Link

Nice, thank you.

I already have fast code to convert NV12 that I can take from DGDecNV. IIRC, it's described in the development log at my website.
Old 7th January 2014, 19:16   #26  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
The MVC source filter will be open. QuickSync for DGDecNV not. I hope it is clear and I edited my post to clarify.
I misread your post, sorry. Btw, just curious. What is QuickSync?
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 19:41   #27  |  Link

"Intel Quick Sync Video is Intel's hardware video encoding and decoding technology, which is integrated into some Intel CPUs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

It would obviate the need for a supported nVidia graphics adapter for DG tools.
Old 9th January 2014, 19:55   #28  |  Link

Bringing up my new machine now...

Oy, Windows 8! Gnyah. Gonna take me a little while to make it usable, create recovery disks, then update to 8.1, and then finally get going on development.

Any recommendations for Windows 7-like shell, etc.? I grant myself this little OT as it will facilitate our goal here.

EDIT: For the curious, this is the first PC I have not built myself. It is an ASUS M51AC-US004S. Not bad for $870. The only sucky thing is the keyboard letters are in light gray -- almost invisible! It's OK I have a spare illuminated keyboard in the closet.

Last edited by Guest; 9th January 2014 at 20:00.
Old 9th January 2014, 20:13   #29  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I use Classic Shell to bring the start menu back in Win8, and to boot directly in desktop mode. It is very good and stable, and highly customizable. It has also other features that I have not enabled.
Thanks to Classic Shell, I have almost totally forgiven the start screen and the M$ apps. They are useless anyway.

Last edited by r0lZ; 9th January 2014 at 20:28.
Old 9th January 2014, 20:36   #30  |  Link

Did you update to 8.1?
Old 9th January 2014, 22:05   #31  |  Link
Nico8583

With Windows 8 or 8.1, you must think to use Windows key on your keyboard and shortcuts, like Windows + X to access a menu with main functionnalities, Windows + R to run a command, etc...

Like r0lZ, I use a little soft to add start menu, it's Start8. There are several others softs like that

Windows 8.1 add a very "useless" button, with it you can switch between Modern UI and desktop, and you boot directly to desktop
Old 9th January 2014, 22:37   #32  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post

Did you update to 8.1?
No, not yet. But I think 8.1 is slightly better than 8.0.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:26   #33  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico8583 View Post
Windows 8.1 add a very "useless" button, with it you can switch between Modern UI and desktop, and you boot directly to desktop
I actually like that new "start" button from Win 8.1. It has a nice list of options if you right-click it.

I too believe 8.1 to be a welcome if minor upgrade from 8.0.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 01:45   #34  |  Link

Thanks guys. I've installed Classic Shell as it lets me pretend I still have WinXP.

I won't bother with Win 8.1.

What do I need to build Intel Media SDK? I have MS Visual Studio 2005 Pro. Will that suffice?
Old 10th January 2014, 03:20   #35  |  Link
Asmodian

Once on 8.0 I don't understand why you wouldn't want 8.1?

Auto login to desktop is worth it by itself.

Sorry, I guess this is a bit off topic.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 03:35   #36  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Once on 8.0 I don't understand why you wouldn't want 8.1?

Auto login to desktop is worth it by itself.

Sorry, I guess this is a bit off topic.
It's OK, I didn't see anything.

And on another matter I already get boot to desktop from Classic Shell. I may upgrade at some point but I am itching to get the project going, as Nico8583 has set a Sunday deadline.

Last edited by Guest; 10th January 2014 at 04:12.
Old 10th January 2014, 08:33   #37  |  Link
Nico8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
It's OK, I didn't see anything.

And on another matter I already get boot to desktop from Classic Shell. I may upgrade at some point but I am itching to get the project going, as Nico8583 has set a Sunday deadline.
Tic tac tic tac, time goes by

When I have tried to compile, I have used Visual Studio 2010 but I think 2005 and 2008 works also because when you open a Intel Media SDK project to VS 2010, it asks you to convert it because project files where created in an older version of VS. It needs Windows SDK 7.0 or above also, and that's all if I don't forget anything
Old 10th January 2014, 15:50   #38  |  Link

Thank you Microsoft. Not! My expensive VC++ 2005 will not install on Windows 8.

Trying 2013 Express.
Old 10th January 2014, 18:53   #39  |  Link

2013 Express is a no go as it is missing ATL.

Looks like I have to back off to 2010 and windows SDK 7.1. Hope it will all work on Windows 8.

If somebody that has done this I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old 10th January 2014, 18:55   #40  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I have tested sample_decode.exe with a small clip, and it works well
Can you please describe your environment, i.e., VS version, platform SDK, OS, etc. I am running into nightmares trying to get a working environment. Thank you.