Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st June 2004, 14:32   #1  |  Link
Cyberia

Minor glitch in ImageWriter doc

The example given by the ImageWriter filter is this:
Code:
# Writes frame 100 to "D:\000000.BMP":
ImageWriter("c:\", 100, 100, "BMP")
The mistake should be obvious.
Cyberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 14:38   #2  |  Link
Wilbert

I will correct it. Thanks!
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 05:44   #3  |  Link
Karyudo

Maybe I'm just a huge idiot (although I don't think so...), but the samples for both ImageReader and ImageWriter are pretty skimpy. I use them each so rarely that I have to re-teach myself the syntax every time. So I head to Avisynth.org, read the help file, and get frustrated all over again.

Could some more illuminating examples be included, perhaps? How about some more detail on how to use a single image as a clip? Or how to access pictures you've numbered yourself (i.e. not the reductive case of re-importing with IR what IW spit out)? Or include more on the syntax (e.g. %6d) in the downloadable copy of the site (which is what I'm forced to use at work)?

Reading through that page, I always find IR and IW stuff mixed together, which is confusing. I also find the use of "path" to mean both path and filename very confusing.

I'd re-write this stuff myself and post it for your consideration, but I just can't get my stupid pictures to load properly at the moment, so clearly I shouldn't be explaining anything to anyone at this point!
Karyudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 18:28   #4  |  Link
Cyberia

I agree completely. I think ALL the filter docs need revised to be sure they list default values, min/max, and some good examples. As well, as just proofread.

It wouldn't take that long at all.
Old 22nd June 2004, 20:08   #5  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

I rewrote the Image* docs a few months ago -- have you checked recently? They appear to correctly specify all the parameters and defaults.

I did add some new examples just now. Hopefully they help; I realize that the cplusplus.com link for sprintf probably isn't very enlightening to non-programmers.

http://www.avisynth.org/ImageSource

Quote:
It wouldn't take that long at all.
The website is open for editing.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 20:51   #6  |  Link
Cyberia

Oh you're just tempting me Richard. But these aren't the docs that go out with the actual binaries. At least, not the sourceforge bunch.

These docs are better. I will be making some corrections, thanks for pointing this out.
Old 22nd June 2004, 23:10   #7  |  Link
Karyudo

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Berg
I rewrote the Image* docs a few months ago -- have you checked recently?
I must admit I hadn't. I tried, but the site has been down recently. And at work (where I wanted to use ImageReader), I don't have web access at my desk (LAME!) so I had to rely on the site snapshot I downloaded some time ago.

Quote:
I did add some new examples just now. Hopefully they help; I realize that the cplusplus.com link for sprintf probably isn't very enlightening to non-programmers.
I hope they help, too! I'll check, by trying again to do what I was doing when I got frustrated. And I'll agree that no, sprintf is not particularly enlightening to this non-programmer.

Quote:
The website is open for editing.
If I come up with something, I'll add it in. The Sourceforge help wiki is a brilliant resource!
Karyudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 23:35   #8  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Oh you're just tempting me Richard. But these aren't the docs that go out with the actual binaries. At least, not the sourceforge bunch.
I updated those too
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote