Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 22nd September 2005, 01:44   #41  |  Link
saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by akupenguin
Codecs have nothing to do with floating-point. There aren't any x87 or SSE2 instructions at all in libav's H.264 decoder.
You're correct. Change x87 to MMX and my post will make a little more sense.

Quote:
And, furthermore, only amd64 and P4 have SSE2, and, for most amd64 ( if not all ), SSE2 ops are as slow as their MMX counterparts.
So you mean they're only fast for the overwhelming majority of machines

I'm still intersted on figures from a newer P4 or A64. While the P3 numbers are relevent, a control would be nice.
saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2005, 17:34   #42  |  Link
bond

ok i finally found the time to finalize the comparison

the following additions have been made:
- ateme
- videosoft
- ffdshow with pentium3 specific compile flags (thx celtic_druid!)
- elecard

- values showing how the different decoders perform on specific coding tools (maybe gives devs a hint on what needs tuning)

i hope you guys find it interesting

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2005, 18:05   #43  |  Link
Manao

The way you're computing decoder's efficiency for each tools is flawed : you have to measure the loss of time, not the loss of fps. Because losing 1sec on a 5 sec decoding time at 100 fps means a drop of 16.66 fps, while losing 1 sec on a 5 sec decoding time at 50 fps means a drop of 8.33 fps.

Enabling a feature almost always add a constant time, not a proportionnal fps loss.

Also, do consider that incertitude on fps figures you're giving are at least 2 fps.

Finally, what was the average quantizer of the clip you used ( out of curiosity, i think it might explain why ateme's decoder goes faster when deblocking -5 is enabled... )
Old 16th October 2005, 19:20   #44  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao
The way you're computing decoder's efficiency for each tools is flawed : you have to measure the loss of time, not the loss of fps. Because losing 1sec on a 5 sec decoding time at 100 fps means a drop of 16.66 fps, while losing 1 sec on a 5 sec decoding time at 50 fps means a drop of 8.33 fps.

Enabling a feature almost always add a constant time, not a proportionnal fps loss.

Also, do consider that incertitude on fps figures you're giving are at least 2 fps.
right, i now ranked the decoders by the % by which the decoding speed decreases when an additional features is enabled

the ranking didnt change much, as most decoders perform in the same range (additionally there is the incertitude you mentioned)

Quote:
Finally, what was the average quantizer of the clip you used ( out of curiosity, i think it might explain why ateme's decoder goes faster when deblocking -5 is enabled... )
the quants of the files are around 20

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 16th October 2005, 22:54   #45  |  Link
bond

almost forgot to mention: another interesting thing i found was that ffdshow and/or libavcodec seems to have gotten slower since the last test

and that altough celtic_druid made a pentium3 specific build, which should give faster results than the old ffdshow build i used the first time (without p3 specific stuff)

still the new ffdshow showed on not so few samples worse results than with the old version...

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 23rd October 2005, 21:38   #46  |  Link
bond

ok i now added info about interlacing support of the decoders:

ateme, nero and elecard support fields-only, paff and mbaff (also with i8x8 of the high profile)
mainconcept theoretically does this too, but seems to be very buggy as it shows lots of artefacts with all modes

moonlight supports fields-only and paff (also with i8x8 of the high profile), but shows artefacts with paff too

videosoft supports fields-only

libavcodec doesnt support interlacing at all

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 23rd October 2005 at 21:47.
Old 29th October 2005, 01:52   #47  |  Link
Beave

Could you be interested in benchmarking some HD content? 720p in High Profile is not playable on my AMD64 3000+. I wonder if there is some filter fast enough for this.
Beave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 06:11   #48  |  Link
Manao

There is. But teasing bond like that is a shame, since he only has a p3 866. But, of course, nothing prevents you from doing the test yourself.
Old 29th October 2005, 12:13   #49  |  Link
bond

yep testing more and higher resolutions (i mainly tested D1) would be very interesting, but i am not the right one to talk to cause a pentium3 866mhz might not be representative at all for this

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 31st October 2005, 14:58   #50  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao
There is. But teasing bond like that is a shame, since he only has a p3 866. But, of course, nothing prevents you from doing the test yourself.
Hey! I got a Celeron 800. I struggle to play H.264 DVD resolution content, let alone HD resolutions.

But yeah, like Manao said, there's nothing stopping you testing it yourself!
Old 31st October 2005, 23:19   #51  |  Link
Caroliano

It's time to update libavcodec table for cqm also.
Caroliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 02:47   #52  |  Link
Hyper Shinchan

So there are still some guys with PIII class CPU??? I'm not the only one ? On my PC (PIII 1Ghz) AVC decoding is really a pain, I've noticed a faster playback with vlc and mplayer, but it's not good enough to be watched (it lost audio sync).... I'will try elecard's decoder.
P.S.: maybe I'm really a bad boy, but why don't you include QuickTime 7 too in your tests (maybe because it su##s?)?
Hyper Shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 04:15   #53  |  Link
bond

i will add the cqm test asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan
but why don't you include QuickTime 7 too in your tests?
because i dont know a method for testing apples decoders speed

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 1st November 2005, 04:38   #54  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan
So there are still some guys with PIII class CPU??? I'm not the only one ? On my PC (PIII 1Ghz) AVC decoding is really a pain, I've noticed a faster playback with vlc and mplayer, but it's not good enough to be watched (it lost audio sync).... I'will try elecard's decoder.
P.S.: maybe I'm really a bad boy, but why don't you include QuickTime 7 too in your tests (maybe because it su##s?)?
Try muxing into a stricter container (I know mkv/ogm work, mp4 should), this will cause audio skips but at least sync is maintained, which is often more pleasing. Recompression is also a last-ditch solution.

Quicktime is consistently slower, also doesn't support high profile. (At least that's all I need to know. =p)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 19:47   #55  |  Link
Hyper Shinchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
Try muxing into a stricter container (I know mkv/ogm work, mp4 should), this will cause audio skips but at least sync is maintained, which is often more pleasing. Recompression is also a last-ditch solution.
I use only mp4 for avc tests (avi sucks), actually I'm trying with the Elecard MPEG player.
Using main profile with cabac, 3 reference frame and 3 b-frame (and alpha and beta deblocking +3) it works with a little of audio delay, but without skipping the audio or video frame.
Now I've just made a little test without multiple reference frame and deblocking and 2 b-frame and it seems to work (but it was just 1:30 of video and audio).
Anyone can suggest safe PIII settings (of course I will continue testing tonight)?
Quote:
Recompression is also a last-ditch solution.
What do you want to say? Recompression of avc video?
Quote:
Quicktime is consistently slower, also doesn't support high profile. (At least that's all I need to know. =p)
I think that it doesn't support some high profile features, but anyway it's too slow, at least on Windows.
Hyper Shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 11:26   #56  |  Link
redfordxx

Ateme vs Nero

I am permanently confused reading here about Ateme vs Nero:
Is it same or different codec?

More over, it's written that it supports High Profile. I don't see any such options in Nero Recode
redfordxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 11:30   #57  |  Link
Manao

I'd say once more to use search feature, but that piece of information is a little bit harder to find that the other one. Anyway :
* nero uses ateme's encoder, from december 2004
* nero doesn't use ateme's decoder.
* both decoders support high profile
* ateme's encoder from december 2004 doesn't support high profile ( hence nero's too )
Old 21st November 2005, 11:36   #58  |  Link
redfordxx

redfordxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 01:07   #59  |  Link
CruNcher

2 months past now should be time for a update

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 01:36   #60  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher
2 months past now should be time for a update
well i will redo the test once bigger changes to more than one decoder have been made (eg vss releasing 3.0 + new nero + more libav changes + who knows what else )

edit:
of course if some producer sends me an unlimited copy of a tool, i will be so happy about it i will test it right away

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis