Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2005, 15:05   #881  |  Link
klicker4546

It's still the same story. Nothing is going to happen after I hit the start button. Just an encoding status window pops up, but there's no activity at all. The calling event for loading the avs-script produced an error message. Is it the problem you referred to in your posting? And I need to set the output file manually.

Here's the commandline produced by mencoder:

Code:
Next job job1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"C:\Programme\Videobearbeitung\MPlayer\mencoder.exe" "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\akw\Eigene Dateien\test.avs" -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=700:max_key_interval=300:vhq=1:chroma_me:trellis:lumi_mask:interlacing:rc_reaction_delay_factor=16:rc_averaging_period=100 -o "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\akw\Eigene Dateien\test.avi" -of avi -ffourcc XVID 
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1
I also attach a screenshot of the status window.

This is really weird... but thanks anyway!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klicker4546
Ok, I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.
Attached Images

Old 14th December 2005, 15:10   #882  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
The calling event for loading the avs-script produced an error message.
What is "calling event" ? If there's an error loading the AviSynth script, it's no wonder it doesn't work.. MeGUI is very picky about its input and needs to be able to load it via VfW or nothing will ever be encoded.
Old 14th December 2005, 15:17   #883  |  Link
klicker4546

I know it's very picky! But the avs-script works fine with version 0.2.3.1023. The preview works fine. And the MPC also plays the avs-script. So I don't think there's an issue with the avs. If you wanna have a look at the script, I'll post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
What is "calling event" ? If there's an error loading the AviSynth script, it's no wonder it doesn't work.. MeGUI is very picky about its input and needs to be able to load it via VfW or nothing will ever be encoded.

Last edited by klicker4546; 14th December 2005 at 15:27.
Old 14th December 2005, 18:04   #884  |  Link
charleski

Ok, we need to dissect the problem a bit more.
When you start the queue, press ctrl-alt-del and go to the Processes tab of the Task Manager. Is mencoder listed there, and if so, is it doing any work (look at the CPU%)?
Are you able to run other encoders, like x264, with meGUI?
Old 14th December 2005, 20:46   #885  |  Link
klicker4546

Ok, here we go! Mencoder ist listed there, it starts to work for 1 or 2 seconds before it seems to get stuck. CPU-Usage 0-2%. That's odd. And I tried several versions of mencoder. Generic builds and also k7-because I've got an Athlon XP CPU. When I hit abort in the job-list or in the status window, the windows does not close. I need to close the whole application (MeGUI) or just click the status window that it disappears.

I tried it with x264 and it worked fine for me.

Alternatively I gave it a try with a directshowsource command in my avs-script to see whether that's gonna work or not.

Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...\Eigene Dateien\04VB.wmv",audio=false,video=true)
ConvertToYV12()
Is it an issue that I've got Avisynth version 2.56 installed instead of 2.55?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski
Ok, we need to dissect the problem a bit more.
When you start the queue, press ctrl-alt-del and go to the Processes tab of the Task Manager. Is mencoder listed there, and if so, is it doing any work (look at the CPU%)?
Are you able to run other encoders, like x264, with meGUI?
Attached Images

Old 14th December 2005, 22:37   #886  |  Link
charleski

The avisynth version won't matter as long as it's over 2.55.
The commandline is formed correctly and the mencoder thread is being started, but I suspect it's hanging when mencoder tries to report back to meGUI, though this works fine on my machines (and this is the first time someone has reported such a problem).
Try running it with the progress window closed (an option in settings).
If this doesn't work, we need to add some more debugging code to see what's failing.
Old 14th December 2005, 23:15   #887  |  Link
klicker4546

I'm actually trying it with MeWIG and mencoder works fine.

Ok, I'll give it a try the way you suggested it.

I've got .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed. It possible that interferes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski
The avisynth version won't matter as long as it's over 2.55.
The commandline is formed correctly and the mencoder thread is being started, but I suspect it's hanging when mencoder tries to report back to meGUI, though this works fine on my machines (and this is the first time someone has reported such a problem).
Try running it with the progress window closed (an option in settings).
If this doesn't work, we need to add some more debugging code to see what's failing.
Old 14th December 2005, 23:33   #888  |  Link
klicker4546

Ok, I did as you told. I deselected the progress window in settings. And it is still the same. :-)

MeWIG is properly working. Damn, it's so strange!!!
Old 15th December 2005, 06:31   #889  |  Link
Shinjite

Mine the problem started when I use MeGUI 0.2.3.1b (haven't update yet) and I couple it up with the latest mencoder with Xvid 1.2 dev and the 1st pass is not even working. When I switch back to mencoder with Xvid 1.1.0Beta 2, it works....
Old 16th December 2005, 16:01   #890  |  Link
klicker4546

Hi, so you think the newer xvid version causes your problems then? Hmmm, I i have xvid 1.1.0-cvs from 9/12/2005 installed. And got mencoder not working under MeGUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjite
Mine the problem started when I use MeGUI 0.2.3.1b (haven't update yet) and I couple it up with the latest mencoder with Xvid 1.2 dev and the 1st pass is not even working. When I switch back to mencoder with Xvid 1.1.0Beta 2, it works....
Old 16th December 2005, 16:42   #891  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I've got .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed. It possible that interferes?
No, .NET binaries will pick the runtime they've been compiled on if it's available.. I have both runtimes installed as well. I guess the important question would be, can you handle a debugger? I have a feeling such an issue would be caught within a minute if you can debug. I could tell you where to set the breakpoints and which methods to step through.

Also, you quoted me above but forgot your reply

Can you have a look at the stats file? How many frames does mencoder encode? And could you capture all stdout and stderr output when running mencoder from the commandline and attach here so we can see what MeGUI sees as feedback from mencoder. Since you report it starts up properly but then does nothing, this isn't so much a problem of events propagating back to the GUI rather than reading stdout and process that data I suspect. Event routing has a try/catch in it so if there were a problem updating the progress window, you'd notice an error message in the logs.
Old 16th December 2005, 18:07   #892  |  Link
weaver4

I'm sorry but I have been looking for 30minutes on where to download the latest Executable MeGui. I found the source code but where is the executable? Can someone point me to it? Thanks,
Old 16th December 2005, 18:18   #893  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
'm sorry but I have been looking for 30minutes on where to download the latest Executable MeGui.
30 Minutes? Why do I not believe that? Binaries have always been available from the first post of this thread. So, if you go to that post and use your browser's search (if you don't know that.. you need to take a crash course in computer use), and you type in download and see where it gets you. The second hit is
Quote:
You can also download Sharktooth's builds
And there's a link there.. and it goes to a page that has 4 file downloads.. so you have a 25% chance of hitting the right one without looking at the filename.. and a 100% chance if you look at the filename.. (anything with src in it looks suspiciously like source code).

Sorry, I can't resist.. nobody spends 30 minutes and doesn't find if a search on "megui download" yields the result in the first thread. If you said two minutes, maybe but even that's pushing it.. search engines were created so that you can search, and check out at least the 10 first links.. and if you didn't find anything after that, okay, it happens.
Old 16th December 2005, 18:58   #894  |  Link
klicker4546

First of all thanks for your reply. Ok, now to your question, if I can handle a debugger. I have a little experience with programming VB .Net. Just a tiny little bit though, because I've just started to learn . But I think I should be able to debug it with your (detailed) instructions. Where to set the breakpoints and which methods to step through. So let's give it a try.

Quote:
No, .NET binaries will pick the runtime they've been compiled on if it's available.. I have both runtimes installed as well. I guess the important question would be, can you handle a debugger? I have a feeling such an issue would be caught within a minute if you can debug. I could tell you where to set the breakpoints and which methods to step through.
I wasn't aware of that. Can you forgive?

Quote:
Also, you quoted me above but forgot your reply
Ok, I gonna have a look at the stats file for you, in order to see how many frames are encoded and also at the stdout and stderr when I am running mencoder from the commandline. It could take some time though. Pls send send me the debugging info I need.

Quote:
Can you have a look at the stats file? How many frames does mencoder encode? And could you capture all stdout and stderr output when running mencoder from the commandline and attach here so we can see what MeGUI sees as feedback from mencoder. Since you report it starts up properly but then does nothing, this isn't so much a problem of events propagating back to the GUI rather than reading stdout and process that data I suspect. Event routing has a try/catch in it so if there were a problem updating the progress window, you'd notice an error message in the logs.
Old 16th December 2005, 19:30   #895  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I wasn't aware of that. Can you forgive?
I wasn't either initially, even though I should've known after taking that MS exam.

As far as debugging goes, you'll want to look at the method mencoderEncoding() in VideoEncoder.cs and set a breakpoint at the line
Code:
line = sr.ReadLine(); // reads a line from stdout
then go step by step from there. The while loop basically is a stdout reader loop, it reads everything from mencoder's stdout. So, if you start encoding, the first question is, do you even get to the breakpoint. If not, we'll have to start looking earlier than that. If you get to the point, start iterating (F5 in visual studio) and watch the contents of the variable line. As soon as it starts with "Pos:", start going step by step and watch what happens inside "if (line.StartsWith("Pos:")) // status update". If you get that far, pay special attention to the first time "counter" equals 10, as I suspect that's the last bit of code you're going to hit. Most likely, you get an exception thrown somewhere that will make the encoder thread exit or block, but I'm just guessing.

I think if you do that, we'll get real close to the problem rather quickly.
Old 16th December 2005, 19:50   #896  |  Link
weaver4

Quote:
30 Minutes? Why do I not believe that? Binaries have always been available from the first post of this thread. So, if you go to that post and use your browser's search (if you don't know that.. you need to take a crash course in computer use), and you type in download and see where it gets you. The second hit is
And there's a link there.. and it goes to a page that has 4 file downloads.. so you have a 25% chance of hitting the right one without looking at the filename.. and a 100% chance if you look at the filename.. (anything with src in it looks suspiciously like source code).

Sorry, I can't resist.. nobody spends 30 minutes and doesn't find if a search on "megui download" yields the result in the first thread. If you said two minutes, maybe but even that's pushing it.. search engines were created so that you can search, and check out at least the 10 first links.. and if you didn't find anything after that, okay, it happens.

Ok, I am not a newbe. Every link I found using a search tool pointed me back to this thread including Video Help, DivX Digest and such. I am not looking for the source just the executable.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...GGL:en&q=megui

The first post has links to:
--.Net Framework
--Avisynth
--x264
--besweet (very nice)
--mp4box
--mkvtoolnix
--DCMPGDec

and links for just the MeGui x264 and Snow edition. I wanted to try MeGui with XVID so I did not think these were the right files.

When I go to Sharktooth site. It has two files with a .7z extension on them (wouldn't know what to do with those) and the other two files are: MeGui-Src*.rar which look like source files to me.

Regardless; with your exceptional guidance I was able to download the source code and get it to compile.
Old 16th December 2005, 20:00   #897  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well, if you get to Sharktooth's site, you're already there. 7z is just another compression format, that Winrar can handle (or 7zip can handle as well. there's a bunch of tools that can handle it.. but I suspect most people who handle rar use Winrar for it since it's the native tool.. since version 3.x Winrar can handle 7zip archives (open, but not create)).
So this is the latest compiled version: http://files.x264.nl/Sharktooth/forc...0.2.3.1023b.7z .. as I said, it's the only one without src in the filename. Though I admit, it would make much more sense to put the source in a separate directory so you'd only have one file in the main directory. I'm going to suggest that to Sharktooth.

I'm afraid as long as I'm taking a break from development, I can't make things as easy as they used to be since I'm no longer distributing anything myself. That may change again in the future but I'm booked till the end of the year.
Old 16th December 2005, 22:26   #898  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Binaries are now here: http://files.x264.nl/Sharktooth/?dir=./megui/Binaries
Sources here: http://files.x264.nl/Sharktooth/?dir=./megui/Sources
Old 16th December 2005, 22:33   #899  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

thanks, I've updated the links.
Old 16th December 2005, 22:39   #900  |  Link
Chris Benoit

Ok here's my question.I want to use MEGui to encode videos for psp.I have got the profiles and i see the PD-PSP one.I want to ask:Will i have better results if i enable rd0 2 instead of rdo?

Also what will i gain if i enable B-frame pyramid,i8x8 and lossless quantitizer.

And lastly will i get better results if i load a custom matrix?What are custom matrices anyway?
Closed Thread