Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th May 2016, 05:05   #37881  |  Link
Warner306

I tried some live action video (720p -> 1080p). I'm not sure if I like deringing or not. It kind of kills the look of image sharpening. I'm only interested if it can be left on for all content, as I can't see myself selectively enabling it for certain content. Debanding manages to work this way, so I was hoping deringing would as well.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 07:36   #37882  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.90.18 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

[code]* added new deringing algorithm

light house:
no deringing - - | - - DeHalo_alpha - - | - - madVR

OMG, is this for real? The difference is unbelievable!

All the details still intact, while it only removes the ringing COMPLETELY.

Wow, I am speechless. This one feature alone is probably the best proof that madVR is so much better than anything else out in the market for video playback rendering by far.

Great work madshi!
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 09:14   #37883  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Next up, deblocking!
Antialiasing!
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 09:21   #37884  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
As you use JRIVER you need to find were JRIVER instaled madvr folder...
When you find download the rar from first page of this thread and extract all files to this folder...
Ok so doing it this way I will retain the latest version of madvr wont I?

I don't want to run with the version of madvr that JR uses as all the sharpening features plus many others are deleted from their version. At the moment Im not using the madvr version recommended by JR.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 10:41   #37885  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post

I don't want to run with the version of madvr that JR uses as all the sharpening features plus many others are deleted from their version. At the moment Im not using the madvr version recommended by JR.
I think so... But i don t know exactly because i don t use JRIVER, used a couple of times only...
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 10:45   #37886  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Guys Ive just checked with my installer and he says we are installing madvr correctly in conjunction with JRiver. He said the madVR install he did was using the Program Files/madVR folder, not the one in the user folder so he updated the folder under users and will see how it goes....

He made this video showing how the APPLY is greyed out. Can you check and see what we are doing wrong please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGHo...ature=youtu.be
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 11:10   #37887  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I tried some live action video (720p -> 1080p). I'm not sure if I like deringing or not. It kind of kills the look of image sharpening. I'm only interested if it can be left on for all content, as I can't see myself selectively enabling it for certain content. Debanding manages to work this way, so I was hoping deringing would as well.
why don't you post an example?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 15:35   #37888  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
I think so... But i don t know exactly because i don t use JRIVER, used a couple of times only...
I do it all the time. Eventually JRiver will update madvr and lav filters, but, I routinely replace the ones in the appdata directory with new versions and they "stick" until a new version is released by JRiver to update them. Works fine to do it this way.
Old 11th May 2016, 16:06   #37889  |  Link
XMonarchY

Where's the option for the new Anti-Ringing algorithm? Is it better than the old one? I can't find it anywhere in the settings...
Old 11th May 2016, 16:57   #37890  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Now it is interesting to learn that LUT can be set in two different ways and still remain linear. Could you please explain a bit how that works, if you don’t mind?
Under Windows, there's SetDeviceGammaRamp for the desktop (which always takes a 3x256 entries table with 16-bit precision integers) and equivalent functionality for D3D fullscreen.

Btw, don't use the prehistoric X-Rite (or rather LOGO/GretagMacbeth) Calibration Tester to test video card gamma ramp linearity - it doesn't work right and from what I know, never did (you can even see it in your screenshot, the end value for a linear ramp should be 65535, but LUT tester thinks it should be 65280, which probably means the developers made the mistake that they assumed each step above zero increases by 256 instead of the correct 257). There's other tools to check video card gamma ramp linearity (e.g. either Argyll's dispcal -V when used with a linear cal file which will show the discrepancy if any in percent, or DisplayCAL's curve viewer which will show "linear" in the status area if you hover the graph of a linear gamma ramp when "show calibration from video card" is checked).
fhoech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 19:02   #37891  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Where's the option for the new Anti-Ringing algorithm? Is it better than the old one? I can't find it anywhere in the settings...
It is under processing -> artifact removal. On the same page as debanding.
Old 11th May 2016, 19:11   #37892  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Under Windows, there's SetDeviceGammaRamp for the desktop (which always takes a 3x256 entries table with 16-bit precision integers) and equivalent functionality for D3D fullscreen.
But I think what madshi was talking about was how to calculate the values. madVR uses 257 * x (with x from 0 to 255) to generate 16-bit values that go from 0 to 65535, whereas the program assumes that a linear ramp will use 256 * x (generating 16-bit values from 0 to 65280). Personally I think madVR's way makes more sense - it's correctly rounded, and the high bits are the same regardless.

Incidentally, I found it interesting that such a simple algorithm produces correct rounding: (x / 255.0) * 65535.0 reduces to 257.0 * x since 65535 / 255 = 257. I think it's easier to see why this must be true if you think of it as 256 * x + 1 * x, or 0x100 * x + 0x1 * x in hexadecimal. Since the maximum value of x is 0xff, the maximum value is 0x100 * 0xff + 0xff = 0xffff - there's no overlap between the two. The same goes for 8-bit to 24-bit: 0x10000 * x + 0x100 * x + 0x1 * x produces no overlap for values of x between 0 and 0xff, and the maximum value is 0xffffff - therefore 2^24 - 1 must be divisible by 2^8 - 1 - and indeed it is: 16777215 / 255 = 65793. That's probably not the most mathematically rigorous, but I found it enlightening. But I digress

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 11th May 2016 at 19:20.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 19:35   #37893  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
New setting works different from the upscale/downscale antiring filter.

Dering removes source ringing before any sizing is done. Antiring removes ringing that is introduced by most scaling algorithms but shouldn't affect source ringing at all.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 19:54   #37894  |  Link
Stereodude

Can I ask for further improvements in the 6:4 film mode used for p60 video? I don't know if you use it all that often which is why it's in the state it's in or if it's extremely hard to detect the pattern accurately, but it's not very polished from my use of it. It's probably the least polished feature I've found in madVR, by far. It sometimes takes several seconds to detect a pattern change resulting in the slow-mo playback look, it sometimes seems to displays frames out of order, or it flashes a random frame it shouldn't after a pattern change. It feels like an experimental / alpha feature. The 3:2 mode for i60 content works much, much, much, much better.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 21:37   #37895  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I don't think there is a difference in "quality". LL downscaling should maintain the original brightness of the unscaled image while gamma light is darker. So imho it makes sense to use LL when there is just downscaling happening (imho it doesn't even matter which downscaling algorithm is used, LL is always brighter and GL a bit less aliased).

However, SuperRes also makes the image even brighter (in GL more than in LL, that's a little confusing since it's the opposite way around compared to image scaling) and must be fed with image in GL when SuperRes itself also works in GL to avoid aliasing introduction (and fed with LL when it works in LL).
So, it should be best to define script profiles to achieve LL downscaling when there is no upscaling with SuperRes and to use GL downscaling when SuperRes in GL is used (it should be used in GL since probably most content is that way).
1. Does this also apply when using SuperRes only for chroma?

2. Just to make sure I understood right: when downscaling UHD -> 1080p (no SuperRes), it would be best to UNtick the linear light option?

3. And in even simpler terms: when no SuperRes = UNtick linear light, when SuperRes involved = tick linear light box?
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 22:23   #37896  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
why don't you post an example?
I tried to quickly capture some images and could not find any good examples. I'll leave the AR filter on for a while to see if anything jumps out as offensive. It seemed to flatten the edges of objects but I can't see it in still frames.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 22:32   #37897  |  Link
aufkrawall

Uoppi, you got it exactly the wrong way around.

Just image downscaling: downscale in LL to preserve original brightness (LL checkbox for downscaling ticked)
When there is downscaling because of image doubling and SuperRes is used: downscale in GL (LL checkbox for downscaling unticked) and use SuperRes in GL (LL checkbox for SuperRes unticked as well)

However, the effect for SuperRes of LL/GL used for image downscaling after image doubling probably is very small in most cases. It's much more important how the image of the video (untouched by madVR) has been downscaled before.
We can't say this for sure and can only assume that downscaling in GL by content creators/providers is most common. The results with SuperRes seem to confirm this assumption, but I don't think anyone tested lots of material with this.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 22:36   #37898  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
1. Does this also apply when using SuperRes only for chroma?

2. Just to make sure I understood right: when downscaling UHD -> 1080p (no SuperRes), it would be best to UNtick the linear light option?

3. And in even simpler terms: when no SuperRes = UNtick linear light, when SuperRes involved = tick linear light box?
1. Ignore all gamma/linear talk for chroma, chroma does not have gamma and linear light, those are luma concepts.

2. It is the other way around, downscale in linear light if downscaling the source directly but downscale in gamma light when downscaling after image doubling.

3. Again, it is the other way around. no SuperRes = tick linear light, when SuperRes involved (ignoring chroma) = UNtick linear light box.
Old 11th May 2016, 23:08   #37899  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

madshi,

It seems mixed upscaling (target 1024x768) is broken again... First pic is latest madVR (no settings changed), second pic is madVR v0.90.17

I really wanted to try the new De-Ringing...

QB
Old 11th May 2016, 23:18   #37900  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Personally I think madVR's way makes more sense
Not only that, it's the only correct way - a linear 16-bit ramp with the goal to not alter the input in any way has to start at 0 and end at 65535, not 65280, so the CalibrationTester is simply wrong :-)

Btw, I think of the math in a slightly different way: The increment step is 65535 / <number of entries per channel - 1>, i.e. 65535 / (256 - 1) or 65535 / 255.
Why subtract 1 from the number of entries per channel? Because the first entry is zero, and so we have (256 - 1) = 255 entries left to increment up to the maximum channel value of 65535. Sorry for the OT :-)
fhoech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling