Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 11th October 2011, 08:05   #161  |  Link
CruNcher

egur like i said before make it switchable so the user can decide to either fallback to libav or the dshow chain directly (just ignore the connection if switch is set)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 22:01   #162  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
My decoder only outputs NV12 and decodes several types of streams. If it fails to initialize for any reason ffdshow will choose the default internal decoder - usually libavcodec.
Output conversion (raw video) has nothing to do with my code, it's negotiated with the filter connected downstream. The downstream filter decides the raw format.
What do you mean by LAV is faster? What scenario?
What I'm after:
Quicksync compatible? Use it.
Not compatible? Don't use ffdshow at all, use LAV instead.

Why?
With 10-bit video, LAV video is faster, and ffdshow can't output either 10-bit or 4:4:4 without going to 8-bit or RGB.

QS in LAV when? =)

Last edited by ajp_anton; 11th October 2011 at 22:11.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 23:16   #163  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
What I'm after:
Quicksync compatible? Use it.
Not compatible? Don't use ffdshow at all, use LAV instead.

Why?
With 10-bit video, LAV video is faster, and ffdshow can't output either 10-bit or 4:4:4 without going to 8-bit or RGB.

QS in LAV when? =)
Now, it's clear. I'll add a checkbox option for ffdshow's codec page to decline a connection in such cases. Default behavior will be fall back to libavcodec or other internal decoder.
Does this have any relevance to other formats (VC1, MPEG2)?
Intel Corp.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 00:19   #164  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Now, it's clear. I'll add a checkbox option for ffdshow's codec page to decline a connection in such cases. Default behavior will be fall back to libavcodec or other internal decoder.
Does this have any relevance to other formats (VC1, MPEG2)?
For the Mpeg-2 Studio Profile fallback

It is about Time

Old 12th October 2011, 07:26   #165  |  Link
kieranrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
For the Mpeg-2 Studio Profile fallback
Such a thing does not exist.
kieranrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 07:34   #166  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranrk View Post
Such a thing does not exist.
in layman terms it does anyways 4:2:2 High Level

It is about Time

Old 12th October 2011, 22:05   #167  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
in layman terms it does anyways 4:2:2 High Level
Can you supply a short clip MPEG2 4:2:2 clip for testing?
Intel Corp.
Old 14th October 2011, 03:48   #168  |  Link
TPoise

AVC1 Video Corruption

I saw the earlier post about VC1 video corruption. Just wanted to add my two cents along with a sample file and pic.

Using the v0.15 alpha version.

Intel HD3000 (Core i7-2600QM)
Windows 7 SP1
Intel Display Driver v8.15.10.2342 (the latest according to Dell)

Link to a clip

TPoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 06:12   #169  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

AVC1 is not VC1 .. MS really used a confusing name there.
Old 15th October 2011, 02:53   #170  |  Link
TPoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
AVC1 is not VC1 .. MS really used a confusing name there.
Do I have a legitimate issue then? AVC1 is what shows up for any H.264 source I use. I am obviously a newbie.
Old 15th October 2011, 11:13   #171  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPoise View Post
Do I have a legitimate issue then? AVC1 is what shows up for any H.264 source I use. I am obviously a newbie.
It may be a legitimate issue, but not the VC-1 problem that was described earlier. H.264 (sometimes signaled by fourcc AVC1) is not VC-1.

Last edited by nm; 15th October 2011 at 11:15.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 11:59   #172  |  Link
CruNcher

@Egur
im a little confused i got a I5-2400 shouldn't that be a GT1 ?

lot of these data seems to make no sense also the clocks seem wrong detected

Tough it has a GPU usage display for Sandy Bridge now i wonder if it's though the same as the OS (Vista/7) is using from DWM or a Intel Driver Supplied one

Looks different (almost half more utilization, compared to the OS sensor) does the Sensor include the DSP Decoding ?
Nvidia for example is strictly differentiating here between GPU and VPU load i guess would be good if Intel does it as well:
So if the GPU load on DWM is GPU only then it would mean the DSP is loaded round about 30% or is that Sensor pure GPU EU load (Bicubic PS scaling is at work here) ?

Correct GPU Clock:

@Egur

is it possible to update only the GPU Bios part directly via the IME ?

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 15th October 2011 at 13:53.
Old 15th October 2011, 18:47   #173  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
I saw the earlier post about VC1 video corruption. Just wanted to add my two cents along with a sample file and pic.

Using the v0.15 alpha version.
Intel Display Driver v8.15.10.2342 (the latest according to Dell
I couldn't reproduce the corruption on v0.15 or my not yet released dev build. Tried 64 and 32 bit.
Maybe it the old driver. I test on 2509 (latest) and 2372 (April) drivers.
You can try installing the latest generic Intel driver (2509 or newer) from the Intel website. I'm not sure what's the difference between the standard driver and the Dell driver, but it's usually quite safe to upgrade. If new driver is not working well, reinstall Dell's driver.
Intel Corp.
Old 15th October 2011, 21:07   #174  |  Link
TPoise

Quote:
I couldn't reproduce the corruption on v0.15 or my not yet released dev build. Tried 64 and 32 bit.
Maybe it the old driver. I test on 2509 (latest) and 2372 (April) drivers.
You can try installing the latest generic Intel driver (2509 or newer) from the Intel website. I'm not sure what's the difference between the standard driver and the Dell driver, but it's usually quite safe to upgrade. If new driver is not working well, reinstall Dell's driver.
I did the upgrade to the generic 2509 driver. Still see the corruption. One more thing that I failed to say in my original post--this laptop has a discrete Nvidia GT525M, so it uses NVidia Optimus. I have the Global Settings set to use "Integrated Graphics" and I can confirm the GPU usage on the discrete Nvidia card is at 0%.
Old 15th October 2011, 21:24   #175  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
I did the upgrade to the generic 2509 driver. Still see the corruption. One more thing that I failed to say in my original post--this laptop has a discrete Nvidia GT525M, so it uses NVidia Optimus. I have the Global Settings set to use "Integrated Graphics" and I can confirm the GPU usage on the discrete Nvidia card is at 0%.
I've frame stepped at the 3 times the Florida logo appears in the clip, and no corruption. I tried two different splitters as well...

I've noticed AVC1 corruption on ts files during seeks or at the start of the clip, but this clip doesn't show any of these artifacts.

Can anyone else confirm the corruption?
Intel Corp.

Last edited by egur; 15th October 2011 at 21:33.
Old 15th October 2011, 22:38   #176  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
im a little confused i got a I5-2400 shouldn't that be a GT1 ?
GT1 it is. The process is 32nm not 45 and it doesn't support DirectX 11 (GT supports DX10.1). Also it says it doesn't support OpenCL and I'm quite sure it does.

Quote:
Looks different (almost half more utilization, compared to the OS sensor) does the Sensor include the DSP Decoding ?
Nvidia for example is strictly differentiating here between GPU and VPU load i guess would be good if Intel does it as well:
So if the GPU load on DWM is GPU only then it would mean the DSP is loaded round about 30% or is that Sensor pure GPU EU load (Bicubic PS scaling is at work here) ?
Not sure what you mean exactly, but HW decoding and most of the post processing are in fixed function and don't register as GPU load. Also, I'm not sure how accurate these measurements are.

Quote:
@Egur

is it possible to update only the GPU Bios part directly via the IME ?
Don't know and probably not a good idea unless it's specifically supported. The BIOS image is made out of many parts that get validated as a whole. Do you have VBIOS issues that a new VBIOS version corrects?
Intel Corp.
Old 16th October 2011, 08:44   #177  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
I've frame stepped at the 3 times the Florida logo appears in the clip, and no corruption. I tried two different splitters as well...

I've noticed AVC1 corruption on ts files during seeks or at the start of the clip, but this clip doesn't show any of these artifacts.

Nope no issues or corruption besides this stream is awful quality to begin with and totally over inlooped

Quote:
GT1 it is. The process is 32nm not 45 and it doesn't support DirectX 11 (GT supports DX10.1). Also it says it doesn't support OpenCL and I'm quite sure it does.

Yeah lot of issues other do it much better then Wizzard currently ill post a bug report

Not sure what you mean exactly, but HW decoding and most of the post processing are in fixed function and don't register as GPU load. Also, I'm not sure how accurate these measurements are.

Yes i know but the load should be measurable there also shouldn't it, especially i have doubts that no one @ intel need those load data for almost live playback measurements ?
What would you suggest to measure the different GT1/2 states (GPU,DSP,Memory) ?
Im gonna ask Wizzard where he gets those measurement from but i guess it's a NDA thing (well see)

Don't know and probably not a good idea unless it's specifically supported. The BIOS image is made out of many parts that get validated as a whole. Do you have VBIOS issues that a new VBIOS version corrects?

Nope just asked though i also didn't find any Dump of a Intel GT1 bios yet :P
And indeed i would also see no reason to update i mean this Windows Intel system is more stable then anything i used before ever
I also did a small test to confirm the GPU-Z measurements

looks more accurate indeed (as the feeling here is the PS is pushing the GT1 over the top and it crawls to it's feet @ 1080p) i wonder why the headroom though for the OS DWM measurement is exactly somewhere 50% more somehow i guess if i get that too 100% it's latency gonna explode and Aero is gonna error or turn off

Overloading the GT1 has a effect on the overall Performance, but the OS DWM measuring doesn't seem to change anymore even with more load ?

No load = 6 seconds

ffdshow-quicksync + PS (EVR-CP PS Bicubic) + Pre-Resize Sharpen Complex 2 @ 1080p = 12 seconds

So could be Engine 1 the fixed function load ?

Yup Engine 1 seems to be the fixed function Decoder load, turning it off gives you the same measurement as GPU-Z for the EUs only load

Though that turning of the PS offloads the load somewhat to Engine 1 seems strange, why should the Decoder load get lower with PS on ?

Quote:
Can you supply a short clip MPEG2 4:2:2 clip for testing?
Sorry missed that http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V93PLAO2

Try also that your ffdshow when falling back for Mpeg-2 Studio to libmpeg2 priority is the native YUY2 output to keep CPU load as low as possible @ Playback (ffdshows colorspace conversion aren't optimal in performance, and if they can be avoided why forcing something like YV12 or NV12 like it's currently being done) currently it does by default YUY2->YV12 which seems crazy and only eats Performance
You are optimizing for a Intel Framework here so if the Renderer does a better job why do a extra (slow) conversion (NV12,YV12) where it isn't needed

If you do it like said it would also beat the current Lav Video (at least in Power Consumption) in native YUY2

Of course there is also the Hard way to optimize the Colorspace Conversion ASM for Intel SB entirely (to gain really the last drop)

Mainconcept:

YV12 = 154 FPS (~9% @ 59.95 fps)

Lav Video:

YV12 = 118 FPS (~13% @ 59.95 fps)
YUY2 = 150 FPS (~12% @ 59.95 fps)

FFdshow-Quicksync (libmpeg2):

YV12 = 96 FPS (~13% @ 59.95 fps)
YUY2 = 110 FPS (~10% @ 59.95 fps)

FFdshow-Quicksync (libavcodec):

YV12 = 134 FPS (~15% @ 59.95 fps)
YUY2 = 145 FPS (~13% @ 59.95 fps)

interesting libmpeg2 seems more efficient in power consumption compared to libavcodec which is tough higher performance ?

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 16th October 2011 at 18:56.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:39   #178  |  Link
TPoise

Quote:

Does anybody have a laptop that can confirm (or deny) the corruption? I wonder if it is a NVidia Optimus issue. I'm not privy to the full details of how it Optimus works, but if it intercepts direct calls to either the HD3000 GPU or the Nvidia GT525M GPU then could it possibly cause the corruption that I'm seeing?

FYI, when I switch to DXVA using the the HD3000 GPU (not Ffdshow), just the basic DXVA hardware rendering as part of Media Player Classic, I see no corruption. Not only do I see no corruption, but my CPU usage is very low (around 1-2%) as well as temps/voltages are low when measured using CoreTemp.

I also see no corruption when using libavcodec when using the ffdshow filters from egur.

I'm using MPC, 64-bit edition v1.5.2.3456
Old 16th October 2011, 18:09   #179  |  Link
CruNcher

Optimus also has Compression capabilities of PCI-E transfers though not sure if that might interference here (its proprietary stuff) to enhance the Performance it only works on x1 connections. http://forum.notebookreview.com/gami...ml#post6542661
I hope we hear something soon from what happened to Synergy for Desktops http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-t...tex/11946.html

And yes sure DXVA is going to less stress your system then ffdshow-quicksync does and when maximum Power Consumption is your goal it should be preferred for Playback, if for any reason flexibility is or something else then ffdshow-quicksync might be a good solution. You shouldn't just use it because you want to you should know your goals, of course if your goal is to help improve it that's great

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 16th October 2011 at 19:03.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:53   #180  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

I have acer 3830TG (i5-2410M + nVidia 540M = Optimus).
I'm using 32-bit (since there is no sense in using x64 version) versions of MPC-HC and decoder from here - can't reproduce your problem. I even installed x64 versions - everything is still ok...

So, as for me, everything works perfectly. The only problem I'm experiencing is with video with variable framerate - audio/subs are out of sync

Last edited by vivan; 17th October 2011 at 11:09. Reason: acer, not asus :D
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, h264, intel, mpeg2, quicksync, vc1, zoom player