Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 4th January 2006, 09:05   #301  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, depending on the font, that accent is grouped with the line it is closer to. You can influence it a bit by setting the "Min. inter-line height" value in the "Advanced OCR setup" window.
It is possible to do something a bit more intelligent, but I don't have the time to do it.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 04:24   #302  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

SubRip 1.50 Beta 3 is up.

Changelog:
- Fixed saving bug for split subtitles
- Fixed video no longer working bug
- Added a progress bar for loading char matrices
- Updated ortography dictionaries to UniCode
Old 6th January 2006, 17:20   #303  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Hey,

@ai4spam : what about adding new output subtitles formats (gpac ttxt and quicktime) ? Do you have some plans to add this ? I began some stuff for gpac ttxt but from the sources of the 1.4 beta. It's ok for you or do you prefer that I start with the 1.5 branch ?
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 22:59   #304  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Finally someone else wants to do some developing! Yeeey!
I have no such plans, since I have no time. I'd rather work on things like accents and diacritics, and hardsubbed videos. So, knock yourself out!
Some of the changes I made between the two versions were in Unit03, where all the subtitle formats are, so you'll need to use the latest version of it. If you keep the changes localized enough and mark them clearly, I'll make sure they get into the next version.
Old 7th January 2006, 11:04   #305  |  Link
Sajan

Maybe bug....
1.Open hardsubbed video
2.Play,Pause -> Run enabled
3.Run,Stop -> Prev enabled
4.Click Prev (with subtitle count =0) -> Video file viewer scroll moves to the end, Exception occurs
Old 7th January 2006, 11:11   #306  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam
I have no such plans, since I have no time. I'd rather work on things like accents and diacritics, and hardsubbed videos. So, knock yourself out!
ok...just a suggestion : have a look on the ï french special character...detection sucks. But this is not related to your changes. We have this problem since the beginning.

@Sajan: bug confirmed...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 13:37   #307  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@Sajan: I noticed, just forgot to take care of it.
@KurtNoise13: Until then use "take with next", that's what it's there for.

Last edited by ai4spam; 7th January 2006 at 14:07.
Old 7th January 2006, 14:22   #308  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

A request: would someone be willing to mirror the hardsubbed avi guide? It loads very slowly, and probably starves the bandwidth for the software downloads. Drop me an email (it's in the SubRip manual).

Thanks,
Old 7th January 2006, 14:35   #309  |  Link
johner23

Monetary Symbol Design Standards And Others

@ai4spam:

I am ripping some specifical movies here and find some specifical Monetary Symbols to rip. Can you add some of them to put into Subrip as standard?

See some monetary symbols that you could put into Subrip, like "£" - Pound sterling ( I had to find these in some sites on internet and copy / paste them to put in my subs before save my final srt) or euro, for example.

---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Pound_sterling

---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_Sterling

---> http://www.typography.com/catalog/ho...t/altchar.html

---> http://www.paratype.com/help/term/terms.asp?code=226

---> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/.../monetary.aspx

---> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...c/monetary.htm

And there is some other symbols, like in Math or measure/conversion numbers and scales, can you just add or find a way to add in some cases, for special OCR cases?

Of course, they are very rare to appear on subtitling scene, but it happens sometimes.

Thanks.

devil (johner)

Last edited by johner23; 7th January 2006 at 14:40.
johner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 14:57   #310  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

All you have to do is add tem in the Punctuation section of CharMaps.ini. Edit it with NotePad, and paste them in there, then they'll show up in the Punct. row of the table.
Beware, though, they are UniCode chars, so you'll probably need to save the subs as UniCode. That's why, although there is a character for the "note" used to show songs, I use "#" instead.
As for Math and the like, just make a new "language" called "Math" in CharMaps.ini, and type in all the characters after "Small=", separated by "*".
If you do this, please send me the resulting CharMaps.ini file to share with everybody.

Last edited by ai4spam; 7th January 2006 at 15:17.
Old 7th January 2006, 16:55   #311  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@KurtNoise: If you're adding new output formats, don't forget to change everywhere: Unit3 for saving, Unit13 for options and converting, UConfig for loading/saving settings, etc.
Old 7th January 2006, 18:04   #312  |  Link
johner23

Ok, then...

And what about musical symbols like that above?

---> http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm

Quote:
so you'll probably need to save the subs as UniCode. That's why, although there is a character for the "note" used to show songs, I use "#" instead.
Only using Unicode I can reproduce music symbols and similar ones properly in my subs? No other way?

I am asking that because I always use "srt" format to save my subs. These sub format has some limitations about that issues, then?

Ah, just another subtitling question...

I saw one videoclip from an rapper singing in jamaican patois style. For those who listen Snow ( performing the song Informer), knows what I am talking about.

The guy sang so fast that the TV editors must have to create a "different type of sub" to show correctly the letters on screen. They create a rolling bar that, literally, rolling on the video showing the lyrics from the music.

It was very, very fast. We have some difficult to follow with our eyes too.

Do you know if exist any sub format that can handle or create some kind of effect on subtitles? Or I wil need to use some professional Video Editor like Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas or similar to create such effect and hardsub the subs to the video later?

Thanks.

devil (johner)

Last edited by johner23; 7th January 2006 at 18:07.
Old 7th January 2006, 19:53   #313  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, VSfilter UniCode supports UniCode .srt files, so no problem there. It'll be a while until it is universally accepted though: basically all the utilities will need to learn how to deal with the new format. As for "reproducing", well, the result is like using Word as your music editor. Not really what you want, is it? I think bitmapped hardsubs are the best way, unless osmeone comes up with some format that is universally accepted.

You can simulate rolling subs by displaying different parts at any moment. I think SubtitleWorkshop lets you "decompose" a line into parts (the Effects menu). However, you need breaks in between, so that lines can be decomposed properly. I know of no utility that does this right now. Maybe you should write one . Here's an example for "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog":

The quick brown
he quick brown
e quick brown f
quick brown fo
quick brown fox
uick brown fox
ick brown fox j
ck brown fox ju
k brown fox jum
brown fox jump

...and so on
Timed properly, this does what you want. There are sub formats for karaoke (not sure which) that have 2 text colors and show text being colored while the song goes on, but this thread is not the right place to about them. I'm sure there are some knowledgeable people in the parent topic group.

Last edited by ai4spam; 7th January 2006 at 20:24.
Old 8th January 2006, 14:21   #314  |  Link
johner23

Thanks for helping me, ai4spam.

Maybe TitleDeko Pro can create some scrolling/rolling "video" text bar, that can subtitle very fast speeches during one video clip, for example.

---> http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...leDeko+Pro.htm

The only problem is that HOW to time that, because I think "srt" doesn't support this kind of features. I dunno. I will try here some experiments and looking some other advices with some people who works in Karaoke/animes fields and video editing too.

Well... concerning about SubRip, I have some videos in my home that have a very hardsub white pale subtitles to "extract".

Any special set to do it in Subrip? I ask that because the golden/yellow ones are pretty much easier to be OCR'ed than the white ones. Specially if the scenes are very clear too.

One more thing: there is a way to "accelerate" ( get faster) the process of ripping/reading harcoded subs in Subrip? Ripping DVD's is much faster, a question of few minutes in some cases.

I know that reading/OCR in AVI's and similar ones are much more complex than one from separate streams like in dvd's. But, maybe, you can find out some way to improve the reading speed or something like that.

PS: for your experience, one movie that has 2 hours lenght takes ( generally, of course, because it depends case by case) how many minutes/hours to OCR a hardsub from it?

Thanks for your program. Very, very useful for me. The last week I use it more than 10 times !!!

devil (johner)

Last edited by johner23; 8th January 2006 at 14:32.
Old 8th January 2006, 15:51   #315  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Of course .srt supports timing. As per my example above, one line becomes 10 lines, each with 1/10 of the initial duration.

Unfortunately, if the subtitles don't have an outline, any program will have a hard time extracting them. Try AviSubDetector too, if you can figure out the options - it lets you do a lot more tweaking, and its detection methods may work better for some particular cases.

Accelerating is possible, but I don't have much time to do it these days. I have a few ideas to make it work faster. The bottleneck isn't in the processing, it's more in the fact that chars with minimal differences are not recognized, and SubRip asks you to type them in again. You can try to lower the OCR sensitivity, then run the whole thing through a spellchecker at the end. I can usually rip subs from a 2-hour movie in 1 hour, even faster depending on the quality of the subs.

Last edited by ai4spam; 8th January 2006 at 17:53.
Old 9th January 2006, 14:30   #316  |  Link
ukendt

For several reasons, this thread is going to be unsticked. We'll start a new, sticky one
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 15:47   #317  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukendt
We'll start a new, sticky one
...when another beta is up. No telling how soon that will be, though .
Old 9th January 2006, 20:19   #318  |  Link
ukendt

(for the specification although I wasn't going to tell anyone anything
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 00:17   #319  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I didn't want anyone refraining from posting bug reports because they had to wait for the new thread .
Old 14th January 2006, 01:27   #320  |  Link
Paulcat

Subtitle does not appear in window...

I tried ripping subs from an old dutch film, and what would happen was that the letter in question (I started with a blank character matrix) would appear with a red box around it, but the rest of the subtitle bitmap would not appear in the main window.

I had some difficulty distinguishing a capital I from a small L without the rest of the words visible and as a result had a lot of editing to do. Anyone else have the same problem? BTW the 'display subtitles' box was checked...

Paul
Paulcat is offline   Reply With Quote