Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th February 2012, 15:32   #12381  |  Link
ragg987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragg987 View Post
Issue: I tag my PAL MKV files with "23p" in the filename. 0.81 no longer auto-switches monitor frequency, stays at the default 50Hz. Worked fine with 0.80. Have also tried using "24Hz" in the filename, and fullscreen and windowed. Have double-checked my auto-frequency settings, all is set fine.

ATI5750 on Intel i5 CPU.
Just rolled back to 0.80 and the screen resolution changes according to the tag in the filename. Seems 0.81 is not respecting this. Have also tried to re-register the dll's using the install batch file - not working.
ragg987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 20:45   #12382  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
About presentational glitches, I found out what caused the problem earlier for me on the laptop: tha LAN cable !

Edit:
Guess what, problem solved when I've updated a lan card driver ! (from the one on msi website to the latest on www.realtek.com.tw)
I've got only a couple presentation glitches (instead a bunch of them) with these settings on my nvidia car and the latest drivers: flush+sleep+don't+flush !
Well, not totally solved:
- after reboot playback is awful again (many-many glitches, and frame drops)
- but unistalling and reinstalling the same new lan driver solves the problem again (very few glitches or none) !

So I don't know what is going on ...
Old 28th February 2012, 21:17   #12383  |  Link
magilvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
It doesn't modify MPC-HC. it simply resets the path to qdvd.dll
It requires a modified MPC-HC OR this registry hack (with a big red "testing only" warning)

Quote:
And even at its current state it performs better than MS's dvd navigator.
Well, no. I got crashes, and invisible buttons.
Anyway we are out of topic, let's stop here.
magilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 22:02   #12384  |  Link
mbordas

Follow up to my question about dscaler5:

If I play this clip:

https://rapidshare.com/files/4264372196/elizabeth.vob

with dscaler5, madVR correctly reports the movie is 23.976 fps and sets the TV to that refresh rate.

without dscaler5, I can press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-T to force it to set the display to 23.976, but it won't do so automatically unless I disable automatic detection and select "default to film mode". And in that case it still reports the movie is 29.970 fps.

Seems like dscaler is still a better option for the time being?
mbordas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 22:12   #12385  |  Link
noee

If the madVR OSD shows the correct film mode cadence, then ignore the reported fps, all is well. madVR's IVTC beats dscalar hands down, IMO.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 22:15   #12386  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The FPS it reports is what the decoder tells it, which is before IVTC.
Old 28th February 2012, 23:02   #12387  |  Link
mbordas

why then is it reported as 29.970, when mediainfo says it's 23.976?
mbordas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 03:17   #12388  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
you have to flag it manually with a "24p" in the file name. If you want film mode to be detected automatically too without having to press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+T, then you have to disable automatic source type detection in madVR's deinterlacing options.
Thank you.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 04:40   #12389  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
you have to flag it manually with a "24p" in the file name. If you want film mode to be detected automatically too without having to press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+T, then you have to disable automatic source type detection in madVR's deinterlacing options.
There's some confusion here (maybe by me)....

If you disable automatic source type detection (by checking the box), madVR will assume that the content is the type you have set as default. If the content is a different type, you must use CTRL+ALT+SHIRT+T to toggle between video and film. madVR will select the refresh rate best suited for the source type you select. However, if you have tagged the file, then madVR will select the refresh rate based on the tag, even if you manually switch to video mode. This would probably be the best option if you do not wish to tag your files, and/or most of the interlaced content you watch is the same type.

If you enable automatic detection, then need to tag your film sourced 50i and 60i files as 24Hz.... madVR will automatically enable it's ivtc filter, and select the best refresh rate, based on that tag. MadVr will assume that any non-tagged files are video.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 04:57   #12390  |  Link
robpdotcom

How does madVR's ivtc filter handle a file like this: http://www.mediafire.com/?2obecsdjb930dgg

The file is 1080i59, and according to tsmuxer, has pulldown flags. While playing the file, Reclock shows 23Hz (and when using EVR, mpc also shows 23fps). I use LAVvideo, which I assume must be stripping the pulldown.

However, madVR shows 29Hz, and shows a 3:2 cadence.

The file plays fine, so I assume everything is working right, but I didn't think the two things above could be true at the same time.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 06:12   #12391  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
There's some confusion here (maybe by me)....

If you disable automatic source type detection (by checking the box), madVR will assume that the content is the type you have set as default. If the content is a different type, you must use CTRL+ALT+SHIRT+T to toggle between video and film. madVR will select the refresh rate best suited for the source type you select. However, if you have tagged the file, then madVR will select the refresh rate based on the tag, even if you manually switch to video mode. This would probably be the best option if you do not wish to tag your files, and/or most of the interlaced content you watch is the same type.

If you enable automatic detection, then need to tag your film sourced 50i and 60i files as 24Hz.... madVR will automatically enable it's ivtc filter, and select the best refresh rate, based on that tag. MadVr will assume that any non-tagged files are video.
I'll be damned, I completely misread that option. Checking disables it, now that makes more sense considering my previous post to madshi about it! You're completely right. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 29th February 2012, 06:53   #12392  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the exclusive mode seek bar a little taller also.
And with the time

Is there a way to reset statistics?

Last edited by JarrettH; 29th February 2012 at 08:19.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 07:37   #12393  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
I use LAVvideo, which I assume must be stripping the pulldown.
LAV Video does never strip any pulldown. Hard-Pulldown of course cannot be "stripped", and soft-pulldown is send to the renderer as is.
Old 29th February 2012, 08:12   #12394  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
How does madVR's ivtc filter handle a file like this: http://www.mediafire.com/?2obecsdjb930dgg

The file is 1080i59, and according to tsmuxer, has pulldown flags. While playing the file, Reclock shows 23Hz (and when using EVR, mpc also shows 23fps). I use LAVvideo, which I assume must be stripping the pulldown.

However, madVR shows 29Hz, and shows a 3:2 cadence.

The file plays fine, so I assume everything is working right, but I didn't think the two things above could be true at the same time.

Do you actual manifestations that the file is played at wrong playrate ? Do you see judder for instance ? What dislay-mode does you display change to / do you use etc. ?

Cause i have the feeling that what you mention might be related to these reports:

Quote:
[...]Only bug report that I have is regarding the display changer which I mentioned before in the thread. Basically when the refresh rate changes on my screen (which also changes the resolution from 2048 x 1152 @ 60Hz to 1080p @ 60Hz, 50Hz, or 24Hz) the the video clip display refresh rate reported in the OSD still says 59.940Hz (from the previous refresh rate of 60Hz). That seems to be the only major problem in madVR for me atm.
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
I'm finding that the automatic display mode changer isn't taking deinterlacing+IVTC into account when determining which display mode to change to. It is selecting 1080p60, even though the playback rate is 24fps. When the content is already 24p, 1080p24 is selected correctly. Can anyone confirm, or am I missing something?
In you case 59i -> after deinterlacing -> 29p

29p, 3:2 cadence -> 24p. But the OSD and/or display-rate changer dont work as expected (see bug-reports) -> shows 29p still, while real fps is 24p.

Last edited by G_M_C; 29th February 2012 at 08:20.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 08:50   #12395  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Is there a way to reset statistics?
Ctrl-R
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 11:55   #12396  |  Link
janderclander14

Problem with 50fps videos

I've recently found an annoying problem. Whenever I play any 50fps (progressive) video, MadVR crashes within 1 or 2 minutes of start playing (mainly in exclusive mode). This does not happens when playing 23.976 or 60 fps videos. In the former case, statistics show a composition of 59.9 fps instead of 50.

I've tried other renderers (EVR) and videos does not crash. The problem persists whenever I disable/enable Reclock or I change options in MadVR like queue lengths and happens with any 50fps content.

I use the latests versions of MadVR, LAV filters, ffdshow, MediaPlayer HC, and Reclock.
janderclander14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:03   #12397  |  Link
Paladin77

Cleanup the manual frame rates and Video clock timings to force reclock to recalibrate them. It fixed a myriad of issues for me.
GPU: 2X Crossfire AMD RADEON HD 6850.
Paladin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:12   #12398  |  Link
janderclander14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin77 View Post
Cleanup the manual frame rates and Video clock timings to force reclock to recalibrate them. It fixed a myriad of issues for me.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried it (and also to completely remove reclock from the chain) and the problem persists...

I've also tried older MadVr versions (from 0.81 to 0.76) with no success.

One note: videos are converted to 50fps from 23.976fps with ffdshow and MVtools (frame interpolation). In any case, the same videos converted to 60fps do not produce crashes.

Last edited by janderclander14; 29th February 2012 at 12:26.
janderclander14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:42   #12399  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Here is a Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break Freeze Report
http://www.mediafire.com/?3tcf239j4hhqa4t

Win7 SP1 x64
ATI 5750 1GB
MPC-HC

Trigger: Loading the next file in a playlist when in fullscreen exclusive mode

Symptoms: The frame from when you entered fullscreen exclusive mode with the first file flashes on screen when MPC-HC tries to load the second file. Occasionally results in black screen afterwards, with madVR and MPC-HC completely hung in Fullscreen Exclusive Mode.

Cause: As far as I can tell... After copy to backbuffer = Flush & Wait (loop) + Fullscreen Exclusive Mode + Windows 7 + ATI GPU.

More details in readme.txt
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 15:49   #12400  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Win7 SP1 x64
ATI 5750 1GB
MPC-HC

Trigger: Loading the next file in a playlist when in fullscreen exclusive mode

Symptoms: The frame from when you entered fullscreen exclusive mode with the first file flashes on screen when MPC-HC tries to load the second file. Occasionally results in black screen afterwards, with madVR and MPC-HC completely hung in Fullscreen Exclusive Mode.

Cause: As far as I can tell... After copy to backbuffer = Flush & Wait (loop) + Fullscreen Exclusive Mode + Windows 7 + ATI GPU.
Same here: Win7 x64, MPC-HC, Haali's Splitter, LAVCUVID, MadVR , nvidia v295.73
here: After copy to backbuffer = don't flush

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling