Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 19th September 2009, 03:16   #381  |  Link
ToadMazter

Hey all, thought you'd like to know there is another tool that we now can use for ripping DVD-A's! I was browsing the AVS Forum yesterday here , and there is a new project at sourceforge for a Foobar2000 plugin that can play and rip/convert. Its called simply dvdadecoder. I've been using it for a few hours, and it is really slick. Allows me to rip to a multichannel wav/flac/etc with one step.

Now, I just need to find a method do a CDDB lookup so I can automate the Artist/Album/Track info into the file names and metadata.

Enjoy!
ToadMazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 04:07   #382  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadMazter View Post
Hey all, thought you'd like to know there is another tool that we now can use for ripping DVD-A's! I was browsing the AVS Forum yesterday here , and there is a new project at sourceforge for a Foobar2000 plugin that can play and rip/convert. Its called simply dvdadecoder. I've been using it for a few hours, and it is really slick. Allows me to rip to a multichannel wav/flac/etc with one step.
That's old news. Take a look at:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...92#post1302992

Enjoy!

P.S.: Speaking of "old news", ...

is ShaPLAY "dead and buried" already?

Last edited by Midzuki; 19th September 2009 at 04:26.
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 21:09   #383  |  Link
DragonQ

If I have extracted some .wav files from a DVD-Audio (96kHz, 24-bit, 5.1) that will fit on a dual layered DVD, what software (preferably free) can I use to make a DVD-Video using these WAV files and a simple menu so that I can play them on any player? It will have to playback without gaps too.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 21:56   #384  |  Link
Music Fan

You will have to compress the wav in Dolby Digital or Dts. BeSweet can do that for Dolby Digital. For Dts, there is Surcode Dts but it's not free ;
http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/products/surcode06.html
To make a simple authoring, there's Muxman, one of the versions is free ;
http://www.mpucoder.com/Muxman/versions.shtml
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 01:08   #385  |  Link
DragonQ

Well I already have the original DVD-A with a DTS track, I was hoping I could leave it uncompressed. Does DVD-Video not support 24-bit, 96kHz, 5.1 channel PCM?
Old 20th September 2009, 04:16   #386  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

DVD-lab PRO has a 30-day trial period --- it can easily create a disc containing "audio titles" only. dvdauthor is 100%-freeware, but I don't know whether any of its various GUIs supports all features available in the command-line environment.

Last edited by Midzuki; 20th September 2009 at 06:07.
Old 20th September 2009, 07:25   #387  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Does DVD-Video not support 24-bit, 96kHz, 5.1 channel PCM?
No.
With that quality, you have to do a dvd-audio or an AVCHD, as I said here a few weeks ago. But you need a Blu-ray player to play it.
Old 20th September 2009, 08:31   #388  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Quote:
Does DVD-Video not support 24-bit, 96kHz, 5.1 channel PCM?
No.
With that quality, you have to do a dvd-audio or an AVCHD, as I said here a few weeks ago. But you need a Blu-ray player to play it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Audio_data says:

Quote:
The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD Video are:

* PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit L-PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6144 kbit/s. N.B. 16-bit 48 kHz 8 channel PCM is allowed by the DVD-Video specification but is not well-supported by authoring applications or players.
* AC-3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 5.1 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
* DTS: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6.1 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1536 kbit/s)
* MP2: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 7.1 channels, up to 912 kbit/s

Last edited by Midzuki; 20th September 2009 at 08:47.
Old 20th September 2009, 08:50   #389  |  Link
Music Fan

Yes, i have seen it several times, but i don't know any authoring program that accept LPCM 5.1 for dvd-video.
And even if you find one, no player will play that for a simple reason : most of dvd-video players have only 2 cinch output and you need 6 (for 5.1). And the SPDIF can't send LPCM in 5.1.
And to respect a norm, a format has to be played by all players compatible with this norm, so it's not really dvd-video compliant.

Last edited by Music Fan; 20th September 2009 at 08:54.
Old 20th September 2009, 14:44   #390  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Yes, i have seen it several times, but i don't know any authoring program that accept LPCM 5.1 for dvd-video.
And even if you find one, no player will play that for a simple reason : most of dvd-video players have only 2 cinch output and you need 6 (for 5.1). And the SPDIF can't send LPCM in 5.1.
And to respect a norm, a format has to be played by all players compatible with this norm, so it's not really dvd-video compliant.
In general terms, I have to agree with you ---
notwithstanding, I really couldn't help noticing some blatant
contradictions in the paragraph above.
Old 20th September 2009, 15:02   #391  |  Link
Music Fan

English is not my mother tongue, so it's not easy to explain a problem as I would do in my language.
Anyway, i belive that there is no contradiction. Because when I say that "most of dvd-video players have only 2 cinch output", it means that some dvd-video players (that only read dvd-video and neither dvd-audio nor Sacd) have 6 cinch output (for players with Dolby Digital and Dts decoder).
And as we need 6 cinch output on a player to hear the LPCM 5.1 (if there is no Hdmi and because we can't send it on SPDIF), we can consider that LPCM 5.1 is not dvd-video compliant, because most of players have not 6 cinch output but only 2.
And a dvd-video has to be played on all dvd-video players, even the old models with only 2 cinch output and without Hdmi.
In this situation, I really believe that this "official" characteristic should be considered as an error and should have been erased of the definitive documentation.

Last edited by Music Fan; 20th September 2009 at 15:09.
Old 21st September 2009, 08:12   #392  |  Link
jolson

Simply stated: All DVD players that have a way to output uncompressed, multi-channel audio (usually 6 analogue, but Denon / Pioneer / Meridian have Denonlink / iLink / MHR for encrypted digital) are DVD-Audio players. The players that only play DVD-Video don't have these outputs.
jolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 08:40   #393  |  Link
Music Fan

Yes, but we have to specify to avoid confusion that even dvd-video players that have 6 channel output can't play uncompressed audio.
And to end my argument : let's imagine that we can author a dvd-video with Multichannel PCM : what happens if we play it on a dvd-video player only equipped with 2 cinch and a SPDIF output ? Do we lose 4 channels ? Is there a downmix ?
Actually, I believe the disc will be refused by the player because it's not conceived to manage multichannel PCM.
And in my opinion, the same problem will happen with a player equipped with multichannel output, because this 5.1 output is reserved for Dolby Digital and Dts.
Thus, a dvd player will only play uncompressed multichannel audio if it isn't only a dvd-video player but also a dvd-audio player, with the dvd-audio logo !
Old 21st September 2009, 08:46   #394  |  Link
jolson

Well, that was a way to say about the same as me in three times the amount of words... :-)
jolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 08:48   #395  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson
Simply stated: All DVD players that have a way to output uncompressed, multi-channel audio (usually 6 analogue, but Denon / Pioneer / Meridian have Denonlink / iLink / MHR for encrypted digital) are DVD-Audio players. The players that only play DVD-Video don't have these outputs.
My parents' really old player from ~1998 has 6 channel analogue output and it definitely doesn't play DVD-Audio.

The actual LPCM 24-bit, 96kHz, 5.1 is in the DVD-Video specification so I don't know why it's such a crazy idea that some might be able to play it.
Old 21st September 2009, 08:48   #396  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Well, that was a way to say about the same as me in three times the amount of words... :-)

Yes, but i like to be complete.
Old 21st September 2009, 08:56   #397  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
The actual LPCM 24-bit, 96kHz, 5.1 is in the DVD-Video specification
Actually, I believe it was an idea evoked by the creators of the dvd-video format, but I have never seen any dvd-video player that can manage it, and I don't know any authoring program that can create it.
So I guess this idea was abandoned but leaved in the documentation, wich creates so much confusion for years on several forums.

Last edited by Music Fan; 21st September 2009 at 08:58.
Old 21st September 2009, 09:05   #398  |  Link
Music Fan

And let's be logical : why would the dvd-audio have been invented if dvd-video could do the job ? Only to add the MLP compression ?
If someone managed to create and play a dvd-video with uncompressed 5.1 PCM, we would know that.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:47   #399  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

DragonQ wrote:

Quote:
My parents' really old player from ~1998 has 6 channel analogue output and it definitely doesn't play DVD-Audio.
My 6-year-old LG has 6 analogue audio outputs (besides 2 analog outputs for plain/downmixed stereo, plus 2 SPDIF outputs), and definitely is not a DVD-Audio player either.

Music Fan asked:

Quote:
And let's be logical : why would the dvd-audio have been invented if dvd-video could do the job ? Only to add the MLP compression ?
Yes.
And more importantly, the CPPM thing and the beloved watermarks as well.
Old 21st September 2009, 11:20   #400  |  Link
Music Fan

Does it mean that you believe dvd-video can play PCM 5.1 if it's not protected by CPPM and Watermark ?