Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th February 2018, 12:24   #49081  |  Link
mytbyte

OK. scrap the ctrl-Y, it's too dependent on many if-then-elses..please upload the jpeg someplace else (upload to wetransfer and give us the link)...normal is more blue or more purple?
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 12:34   #49082  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
OK. scrap the ctrl-Y, it's too dependent on many if-then-elses..please upload the jpeg someplace else (upload to wetransfer and give us the link)...normal is more blue or more purple?
https://s10.postimg.org/npiqmsc3d/644083.jpg

Normal is More Blue. madVR gives an unprocessed image in the screenshot, unlike a PS
SEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 12:49   #49083  |  Link
mytbyte

Can't be sure that uploading to an image service doesn't change the file, please use wetransfer...for this one I can say it looks the same everywhere (MPC-HC, PS, Chrome...) and it's more blue so it looks like in MPC-BE on your side...it's some PS problem...what do you have set under View/Proof Setup?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 12:52.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:12   #49084  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Can't be sure that uploading to an image service doesn't change the file, please use wetransfer...for this one I can say it looks the same everywhere (MPC-HC, PS, Chrome...) and it's more blue so it looks like in MPC-BE on your side...it's some PS problem...what do you have set under View/Proof Setup?
https://we.tl/F9gmzFM57h

Set Working CMYK. GIMP gives the same colors. Corrective: correct color is More Purple. If I use the "Use Display ICC Color Gamut Correction" in the PotPlayer, then the colors match in the PotPlayer, but only for Enhanced Video Renderer, does not work for madVR

Last edited by SEX; 20th February 2018 at 13:21.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:21   #49085  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

madVR does not use the ICC, it uses its own 3DLUTs for calibration. Either your calibration tool allows exporting a 3DLUT, or you'll need create a 3DLUT from the ICC (I forgot if there was a simple tool to do that).
Old 20th February 2018, 14:09   #49086  |  Link
mytbyte

@SEX: ... I think your ICC calibration may be off...but it is all very weird since the jpeg is untagged...you can use ICC in MPC-BE if you use EVR custom presenter...
Old 20th February 2018, 14:28   #49087  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
@SEX: ... I think your ICC calibration may be off...but it is all very weird since the jpeg is untagged...you can use ICC in MPC-BE if you use EVR custom presenter...
Windows Photo Viewer also correctly displays colors, as well as the PS and the GIMP, I do not think that the matter is in the settings of these programs. For you, Windows Photo Viewer also display colors like the madVR (without the 3DLUT?)
Old 20th February 2018, 14:50   #49088  |  Link
mytbyte

Please pres ctrl-J while playing in madvr and post OSD here, we need to see what matrix and primaries are detected...

why do you first say that Windows Photoviewer displays correctly and at the end you say it displays like MadVR which is incorrect (to you)?

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 14:54.
Old 20th February 2018, 15:07   #49089  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Please pres ctrl-J while playing in madvr and post OSD here, we need to see what matrix and primaries are detected...

why do you first say that Windows Photoviewer displays correctly and at the end you say it displays like MadVR which is incorrect (to you)?
https://s18.postimg.org/7qj86r089/64...0_18.54.54.png

Correct is More Purple. madVR always been More Blue. I'm interested in how the Windows Photo Viewer displays colors in comparison with the madVR on your PC
Old 20th February 2018, 15:21   #49090  |  Link
mytbyte

Your MadVR OSD info is same as mine, in Photo Viewer it is the same as everywhere else = more blue.
Old 20th February 2018, 15:26   #49091  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Your MadVR OSD info is same as mine, in Photo Viewer it is the same as everywhere else = more blue.
Does your monitor have a custom color profile, not sRGB? And do you use 3DLUT?
Old 20th February 2018, 15:34   #49092  |  Link
mytbyte

No, I calibrated "in monitor", it's default sRGB in Color Management ...please disable "use my setting for this device" in Windows Color Management and see what happens, I suspect it should be more blue everywhere...it really may be your ICC Profile is compensating drastically i.e. your monitor may be way off

you can create a madVR 3D LUT from ICC profile or calibration run with DisplayCAL

Last edited by mytbyte; 20th February 2018 at 15:38.
Old 20th February 2018, 15:38   #49093  |  Link
takenori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Set madVR to whatever you set Windows to, do check with test patterns the difference between 8 and 10-bit paths on your display. Sometimes 8-bit looks better (when the 10-bit path isn't good for some reason).
gradient-perceptual-colored-v2.1_24fps.mkv
gradient-perceptual-v2.1_24fps.mkv
cheers
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 15:46   #49094  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
No, I calibrated "in monitor", it's default sRGB in Color Management ...please disable "use my setting for this device" in Windows Color Management and see what happens, I suspect it should be more blue everywhere...it really may be your ICC Profile is compensating drastically i.e. your monitor may be way off

you can create a madVR 3D LUT from ICC profile or calibration run with DisplayCAL
Yes, without the monitor color profile, the colors are the same. More Blue, as with calibration in the madVR. Does this mean that the madVR ignores the system-wide color profile? How can this be?
Old 20th February 2018, 15:56   #49095  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEX View Post
Yes, without the monitor color profile, the colors are the same. More Blue, as with calibration in the madVR. Does this mean that the madVR ignores the system-wide color profile? How can this be?
Of course it ignores it, we told you already, it's a video renderer, it deals with LUTs... you can try the DisplayCAL/LUT route...or just use EVR with Color Management Enabled
Old 20th February 2018, 16:09   #49096  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Of course it ignores it, we told you already, it's a video renderer, it deals with LUTs...:o you can try the DisplayCAL/LUT route...or just use EVR with Color Management Enabled
Is there no option for outputting the image to the framebuffer via video card LUT? (I'm not strong in this)
Old 20th February 2018, 17:54   #49097  |  Link
Asmodian

The video card LUT does not do a full calibration, it is only grayscale correcting 3 1DLUTs. There can be more information in an ICC profile but it isn't used by hardware, color aware applications have to load it and do any conversions in software.

MadVR does use the GPU's hardware LUTs.
Old 20th February 2018, 18:21   #49098  |  Link
e-t172

SEX: when comparing a still image file between Photoshop and madVR, there is a shitload of variables that could explain the difference you're seeing. It doesn't mean that Photoshop is doing anything wrong, or that madVR is doing anything wrong. They might simply be using different calibration settings and/or might be making different guesses about the color space or the image.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least three major reasons that could possibly explain the color discrepancies that you're observing:

- Photoshop and madVR might disagree about what the color space of the image is. For example, one might treat it as sRGB, while the other might treat it as BT.601. (madVR will tell you which color space it's using in the OSD that you can open by hitting CTRL+J.) madVR (and the rest of the player chain) might not be very good at guessing the color space because it is designed for video, not still images.

- Image preferences might be different. For example, depending on settings, madVR could be doing some gamma correction that would make sense for video but not necessarily for a still image file.

- Most importantly, Photoshop and madVR might be using different calibration settings. Photoshop (and the Windows photo viewer too, at least the Windows 7 one) will use the ICC profile that's configured for your monitor. madVR won't do that automatically - you need to manually generate a 3DLUT file from the ICC profile and give it to madVR in the settings. (Note that vcgt - the 3x1DLUT calibration part of an ICC profile that is applied directly in the output hardware of the GPU and applies to the entire Windows desktop - is not the full contents of an ICC profile. Photoshop will use the full ICC profile, while non-ICC-aware applications will only go through the vcgt. Be careful, this stuff is highly contrived and can be quite confusing.)

EDIT: oh, and since your image is from a video game, you can also add confusion between video levels (16-235) and PC levels (0-255) into the mix. It's quite possible madVR is guessing 16-235, which could be wrong. Again, the OSD (CTRL+J) will have that information.

Last edited by e-t172; 20th February 2018 at 20:00.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 18:55   #49099  |  Link
mytbyte

@e-t172: you're, of course, right about everything you said, but I believe we already established it's the ICC profile which PS, GIMP, Windows Viewer do use while MadVR does not...the difference is so obvious because his monitor seems to have quite large hue shift and output from MadVR is uncalibrated...
Old 20th February 2018, 19:06   #49100  |  Link
Asmodian

If you can make an ICC profile you should be able to make a 3DLUT which should be an even better solution than an ICC profile.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling