Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th December 2014, 05:07   #27741  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Furthermore, with this latest driver, 1080p .TP files don't play well. With the previous driver, they would play fine by closing SVP, but with this driver version, it lags even without SVP with madVR alone.
Attached Images

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:34.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 05:20   #27742  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
please make a screen shoot with the madVR osd.
It's not dropping anymore for 1080p @ 15ms in full-screen mode although nothing changed. No clue what's going on. I'll update if/when the problem comes back.

In window mode, however, it dropped seriously with 13ms rendering time.
Attached Images

Old 5th December 2014, 05:52   #27743  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
It's not dropping anymore for 1080p @ 15ms in full-screen mode although nothing changed. No clue what's going on. I'll update if/when the problem comes back.

it will take sometime be for we can see the screen.

if it works fine in fullscreen exlusive mode and not in window mode there is a high change for a desktop composition miss match. this is an window 7 bug fixed in windows 8 and newer.

the screen can show this issue.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 05:56   #27744  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I got the lag again in full-screen mode. The lag seems to come and go in full-screen, and always take effect in window mode.

Do you want the screenshot of the full screen?
Attached Images

Old 5th December 2014, 06:25   #27745  |  Link
huhn

no need, the stats are important not the image it self.

but if you use the attachments function of this forum an moderator has to look at them first, be for the rest of us can see them.

you can use an image hoster to avoid this.
Old 5th December 2014, 17:00   #27746  |  Link
x7007

Why it still 0.87.10 on the menu ? and it doesn't update to 87.11 ? I didn't know it's the new version till I actually download it.

It seems that it fixed the problem I had with Nvidia 970/980 with NNEDI3 , slow down, non stop dropped frames, presentation glitches.

Now it works perfectly with 87.11, 0-0 on everything.

Edit : it seem the problem is back, the problem begins after small flash of green screen and then everything becomes slow with 1-3 renderer Queue

Does anyone has issues with 970/980 with NNEDI3 ?

CAN anyone please confirm that NNEDI3 doesn't work properly with NVIDIA 970/980 GTX using 344.75 drivers ? Please

if the Nvidia 3DTV is enabled than there is SLOW DOWN after couple of seconds. There is green flash and subtitles arifacts black square or just messed up subtitles. renderer queue goes to 1 permatnaly instead 2-3, non stop dropped frames. Changing to Upscaling Jinc fix the problem instantly. With Nvidia 3DTV is disabled, there are no slow down, but there is a green flash every couple of seconds or when fast/back fowarding x number of times, and the more you do it eventually the video would freeze, the seconds doesn't move, but you can pause/play and move to any duration you want, but the movie won't play until Stop and Play. When restarting or Logging off windows 7, there is a little flash, like small tiny flash that doesn't happen before the problem with the NNEDI3. it's like something in the Nvidia Drivers or Madvr that messing something up, I just need confirmation about this, Games are running properly.

Last edited by x7007; 5th December 2014 at 18:34.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 20:46   #27747  |  Link
Xaurus

NNEDI3 works fine with my 970 on 344.75.
Old 5th December 2014, 20:53   #27748  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
NNEDI3 works fine with my 970 on 344.75.
Yes I've found the issue, I wrote it here

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=267
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 04:20   #27749  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Furthermore, with this latest driver, 1080p .TP files don't play well. With the previous driver, they would play fine by closing SVP, but with this driver version, it lags even without SVP with madVR alone.
a split is used in this screen this should be the case. because this only used for nvidia and intel GPU. maybe your intel IGPU is used for madVR.

Quote:

over 13 ms rendertimes and it works better in fullscreen mode.
if SVP is used it looks like it sometimes takes to many GPU power so madVR can't render the frames fast enough.

Quote:
I got the lag again in full-screen mode. The lag seems to come and go in full-screen, and always take effect in window mode.

Do you want the screenshot of the full screen?
the screen clearly shows that madVR didn't get the frame fast enough. if SVP is used it should be the problem here. rendertimes are really high for SVP usage too.
Old 6th December 2014, 04:30   #27750  |  Link
Xaurus

I need to call out to any experts on madvr/4:4:4 display etc.

I can use 4:4:4 with 23.976 refresh rate in PC mode on my Samsung TV, but this is without any motion enhancements. And to be frank, pure 23.976 doesn't look very smooth (especially in panning/moving scenes).
I am too annoyed by it to be able to keep it this way. Something must be done...

However, if I disable the PC mode, then I can get all the options in the menu and configure the motion stuff (also better blacks), but no longer 4:4:4 (which also makes fonts on the desktop look strange).
According to people here this seems to basically make madvr "useless", when it is not displaying on a 4:4:4 display.

I would love some more info on what exactly goes on when you are using madvr on a non-4:4:4 display.

So if I were to remove madvr - what should be used instead? What are the options and are all options really crappy?

Thanks.

edit: I moved from a Sony TV which seems to have had the motion stuff enabled for PC mode. I did not expect this dilemma when moving to Samsung.

Last edited by Xaurus; 6th December 2014 at 04:32.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 05:08   #27751  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quick question. If I want to enable/disable madVR programmatically, I'm seeing this key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings\DSVidRen
System Default has a value of 0 while madVR has a value of 12. Is this always the case, or could activating madVR require a value different than 12 for some users?

Old 6th December 2014, 05:10   #27752  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
a split is used in this screen this should be the case. because this only used for nvidia and intel GPU. maybe your intel IGPU is used for madVR.
MPC-HC and SVP are definitely using the Radeon.

Is there a way to know which graphic card madVR is using, and whether it is using OpenCL?

I just ran a test: running MPC-HC in Performance and Economy mode without SVP.

In High Performance mode, rendering time is 14.7ms. In Economy mode, the same video renders in 9.6ms. It seems to further silently drop settings when running on the Intel.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:35.
Old 6th December 2014, 05:24   #27753  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I need to call out to any experts on madvr/4:4:4 display etc.

I can use 4:4:4 with 23.976 refresh rate in PC mode on my Samsung TV, but this is without any motion enhancements. And to be frank, pure 23.976 doesn't look very smooth (especially in panning/moving scenes).
I am too annoyed by it to be able to keep it this way. Something must be done...

However, if I disable the PC mode, then I can get all the options in the menu and configure the motion stuff (also better blacks), but no longer 4:4:4 (which also makes fonts on the desktop look strange).
According to people here this seems to basically make madvr "useless", when it is not displaying on a 4:4:4 display.

I would love some more info on what exactly goes on when you are using madvr on a non-4:4:4 display.

So if I were to remove madvr - what should be used instead? What are the options and are all options really crappy?

Thanks.

edit: I moved from a Sony TV which seems to have had the motion stuff enabled for PC mode. I did not expect this dilemma when moving to Samsung.
you are pretty lucky that pc mode at 23p works. it's pretty normal that samsung only supports pc mode at 60 HZ.

madVR does better scaling too and chroma scaling has to be done when you use a PC as source.
the chroma scaler lost a lot of it benefits it's still not useless.

if you get "better black" than I guess your RGB level setup is wrong.

when your TV doesn't support 4:4:4 or you can't use it. it will be scaled from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or lower and than again 4:4:4. this is not optimal at all.
Old 6th December 2014, 05:29   #27754  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Quick question. If I want to enable/disable madVR programmatically, I'm seeing this key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings\DSVidRen
System Default has a value of 0 while madVR has a value of 12. Is this always the case, or could activating madVR require a value different than 12 for some users?
if the position of madVR doesn't change in newer mpc-hc releases it should be 12 for all user.

but you should ask this question here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166689&page=83

Quote:
MPC-HC and SVP are definitely using the Radeon.

Is there a way to know which graphic card madVR is using, and whether it is using OpenCL?

I just ran a test: running MPC-HC in Performance and Economy mode without SVP.

In High Performance mode, rendering time is 14.7ms. In Economy mode, the same video renders in 9.6ms. It seems to further silently drop settings when running on the Intel.
try GPU-Z.
don't let this program run in the background it can case dropped frames in madVR. only use it to check GPU usage.

a spike in GPU/CPU usage thanks to SVP can cause dropped frames too. you should make sure you have some breathing room when using something like SVP.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:07   #27755  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

In SVP, disabling OpenCL *and then going into Video Profiles | Reset to default* increased the performance and lowered all rendering times. This allows me to raise all madVR settings. I'll try it on the 1080p TV later.

Btw, I'm trying to set a profile condition with aspect ratio and it's not working

if (targetWidth <= 1366) && (srcHeight <= 300) && (srcAR = 4:3) "Laptop 288p"
else if (targetWidth <= 1366) && (srcHeight <= 300) "Laptop 288p W"

I have VCD videos and somehow the last track always ends up being 16:9 (1.45 pixel ratio) instead of 4:3 (1.09 pixel ratio) for all other tracks. When I configure this condition in madVR, it always selects the first profile in both cases. How can I get this condition to work?

I could also ask whether there's a way to fix the aspect ratio in the VCD file itself but that would be a conversation for another forum.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:31.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:18   #27756  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
you are pretty lucky that pc mode at 23p works. it's pretty normal that samsung only supports pc mode at 60 HZ.

madVR does better scaling too and chroma scaling has to be done when you use a PC as source.
the chroma scaler lost a lot of it benefits it's still not useless.

if you get "better black" than I guess your RGB level setup is wrong.

when your TV doesn't support 4:4:4 or you can't use it. it will be scaled from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or lower and than again 4:4:4. this is not optimal at all.
Yeah I've gathered that I'm "lucky" in that regards.

The "better blacks" are not because of RGB level range, it's calibrated and fine, but the point is that the overall blackness of the screen is better when the "Motion Plus -> LED Clear Motion" is enabled, and that is not available in PC mode.

You say it will be scaled from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 and back to 4:4:4 which is "not optimal" - I would like more technical info on this if anyone has. Thanks.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:58   #27757  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Btw, I was wondering whether there was a way to re-encode videos with the rescaling quality produced by madVR combined with SVP. I just found a solution, in case anyone is interested!

This will be my solution to convert bogus 16:9 VCD files into 4:3 720p high-quality video.

1. In this case, configure MPC-HC to override pixel ratio to 4:3
2. Play the video with SVP + madVR with MPC-HC in window mode
3. Use Camtasia Studio to record the video output!
4. Slide the audio 1 tick to the right to resync audio/video
5. Encode

With this setting, there are 3 hungry software running at once. One is CPU-hungry, one is GPU-hungry and one is HD-hungry. They run smoothly together.

If I upload that on YouTube, some people might wonder how the heck I uploaded videos of HIGHER quality than the original files! And 30fps instead of 25fps.

I would just love to get NNEDI3 Frame Doubling to work before re-encoding videos in such a way.

Still, it would be great if there was a way of doing so with even higher settings that the computer can't render in real-time.

Old 6th December 2014, 19:15   #27758  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Yeah I've gathered that I'm "lucky" in that regards.

The "better blacks" are not because of RGB level range, it's calibrated and fine, but the point is that the overall blackness of the screen is better when the "Motion Plus -> LED Clear Motion" is enabled, and that is not available in PC mode.

You say it will be scaled from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 and back to 4:4:4 which is "not optimal" - I would like more technical info on this if anyone has. Thanks.
you can look at this: http://www.5dfilmmaking.com/tut_444.htm

what did motion interpolation to do with black? in some cases it lowers the light output thanks to BFI or backlight strobing but you get the same "blackness" with lower brightness.

@MysteryX

have a look at the Avisynth or VapourSynth forum. the nnedi3 functionm in madVR is from a avisynth plugin. and SVP it self is running with avisynth too.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:25   #27759  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
have a look at the Avisynth or VapourSynth forum. the nnedi3 functionm in madVR is from a avisynth plugin. and SVP it self is running with avisynth too.
Since I haven't found anyone who could simply explain the steps, I'm guessing this is a very complicated process that would be very time-consuming and require advanced study of AviSynth... and also considering none of the encoding software I've seen are offering these options.

This would be the job of someone who wants to write an encoding software that supports those features.

Old 6th December 2014, 19:39   #27760  |  Link
huhn

this thread is the wrong place for this.
to do advanced encoding/filtering basic things like the usage of avisynth are a must have skill.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling