Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 1st January 2006, 04:14   #281  |  Link
Nrmf

thank you
Old 1st January 2006, 15:25   #282  |  Link
stax76

Happy new year to the community. First release this year is a urgent bug fix release as I've received more then ten bug reports about a weird bug I wasn't able to reproduce. Thanks to everybody for all the feedback, it'll keep me busy for some time.

0.9.1.8 (2006-01-01)

Quote:
  • fix: fixed bug in settings dialog and maybe other TreeView based dialogs causing a crash on some systems.
  • new: experimental/beta new x264 encoder.
Regarding the new x264 dialog, I would like to improve this a little bit and hope to get a little help. I want to move the most popular options to the main tab, what could that be? I also want to add a turbo checkbox which would use faster settings for analysis passes, any suggestions for this feature? Most importantly is I'll add the possibility to add additional CLI switches for what no GUI controls are available yet.

Last edited by stax76; 1st January 2006 at 16:35.
Old 1st January 2006, 16:16   #283  |  Link
stax76

@swaaye

I wasn't able to reproduce the freeze issue, maybe you can mail some log files.

I've changed auto crop for the next release:

Code:
AutoCrop(mode=2,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10)

Quote:
i am gonna reformat this hard drive and install it on 32 bit windows with 64 bit cpu, hop eu dont mind me fireing off a ton of questions at you.
I'm sorry it didn't work, seems like other .NET apps have also problems. If more and more bug reports are made I have to get such a system hoping I can fix the problems this way, donations would help of course.

@Aladdin

thanks for posting the code, I'll need to work on this stuff.

Quote:
Am I just blind or how do I enable IVTC in order to get my 29.976fps content down to 23.976fps?
There is some preset that can by applied using the context menu. I want to add default Filter Setup profiles. Making default profiles and default values in general is not so easy, I hope I'll find more people helping me here suggesting their favorite scripts, command lines and values. I want also add features to detect all this things automatically but that's even harder.

Quote:
If I want to ONLY use FFDSHOW, is there any way I can maintain AC3 audio with x264 encodes? Or do I have to use AAC?
Could work using mkv.

Quote:
I am getting the audio delay problem again. Not sure. What’s the deal.
WINXP.SP2 - Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 745 1.80GHz (Centrino)
You mean it's out of sync? Could have many reasons but with this information I can only make guesses.

@mulrich

Latest build allows to add multiple forced subtitles.

Quote:
how should i have the xvid codec setup up so many settings and options to go through
StaxRip and XviD defaults are OK, you got to ensure the bitrate is high enough, here is a link about it: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=104944

Last edited by stax76; 1st January 2006 at 16:20.
Old 1st January 2006, 16:47   #284  |  Link
ricardo.santos

although i dont use x264 for backups i decided to try it using staxrip new version.

i get audio sync problems when playing the file, tried 4different video files.

when i open Staxrip one of the first things i do is to picck the encoder and muxer, i opened Staxrip picked x264 and mp4box and then opened the video file waited for dgindex to do his work, after dgindex finishes the encoder and muxer options are reverted to the default ones that in my case are divx and virtualdubmod,

Ricardo
Old 1st January 2006, 18:08   #285  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
i get audio sync problems when playing the file, tried 4different video files.
In case of problems the best thing to do is always enclosing possible reasons, for instance you can try another muxer, try another encoder or try another demuxer.

Quote:
when i open Staxrip one of the first things i do is to picck the encoder and muxer, i opened Staxrip picked x264 and mp4box and then opened the video file waited for dgindex to do his work, after dgindex finishes the encoder and muxer options are reverted to the default ones that in my case are divx and virtualdubmod,
When you open a source StaxRip will load the default project if another source is already open or if the assistant don't is at the very first tip which is "Please open a source file." It would ask to save the the current project if it was modified and a source was opened when opening a new source so the only possible reason I'm aware of is the assistant wasn't at the very first tip. The assistant should not be bypassed so this makes sense. I could however just reset the assistant tips which appears to have only advantages.
Old 1st January 2006, 21:27   #286  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:
In case of problems the best thing to do is always enclosing possible reasons, for instance you can try another muxer, try another encoder or try another demuxer.
the sync problem only appears when using x264 in version (0.9.1.8), before, that wasnt a problem, i used x264 as codec and mp4box as the muxer always.
can i use another muxer instead of mp4box?
Old 2nd January 2006, 13:48   #287  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
The sync problem only appears when using x264 in version (0.9.1.8), before, that wasnt a problem, i used x264 as codec and mp4box as the muxer always.
can i use another muxer instead of mp4box?
I don't know another MP4 muxer, you could try however mkvmerge to see if it works better. If it does it's a indication that MP4Box is the problem. I don't remember any recent changes that could cause a sync issue. Sync issues can happen:

*while demuxing, maybe another demuxer can be used, you could config StaxRip to load audio and video with AviSynth and then play the script in a media player to check if the demuxer is the problem.
*while audio encoding, StaxRip audio profiles don't handle delay and the StaxRip muxers will notice if the delay wasn't handled and thus handle it, check the command line, you could also use -ota( -d %delay% ) in the audio profile, the muxer wouldn't handle the delay then.
*while muxing, check the command line, for most containers there aren't many alternative muxers.
*while playback, try different DirectShow filters and try players that don't rely on DirectShow like VlC and mplayer.
Old 2nd January 2006, 13:58   #288  |  Link
bond

i dunno what staxrip does internally, but mp4box will set 25fps by default when importing a raw video stream. so when you import from raw video with a different fps you need to use the -fps switch

also mp4box handles setting a delay, but this isnt taken into account by many players, so always make sure you correct the delay already while audio encoding

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 2nd January 2006, 14:04   #289  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
i dunno what staxrip does internally, but mp4box will set 25fps by default when importing a raw video stream. so when you import from raw video with a different fps you need to use the -fps switch
iirc on raw streams it does pass the framerate to MP4Box.

Quote:
also mp4box handles setting a delay, but this isnt taken into account by many players, so always make sure you correct the delay already while audio encoding
I better modify then all audio profiles to handle delay.
Old 2nd January 2006, 19:30   #290  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Russia, Moscow
About this new x264...How to configure 1st and 2nd passes separately? I have to set decision quality to 1 (fastest) for 1st pass, but not for 2nd pass...
Old 2nd January 2006, 21:13   #291  |  Link
stax76

@LRN

The intermediate concept of the old dialog is to not ideal for novice users, I'm trying to make StaxRip as easy as possible as announced in a posting about a focus shift. What I can do is letting users customize the turbo switches if that aren't too many (5-10) so please tell me what exactly is decision quality. I've seen quite a few people struggle with the StaxRip intermediate concept and the MeGUI turbo/automated concept, I also received quite a few bug reports caused by misconfiguration of the intermediate feature (there aren't verifications for the settings). That's why in the new dialog I'm previewing the command lines of all passes together.
Old 3rd January 2006, 04:20   #292  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Look at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en...feat-x264.html
"Moreover, two passes need not take twice as long as one pass. You can tweak the options in the first pass for higher speed and lower quality. If you choose your options well, you can get a very fast first pass. The resulting quality in the second pass will be slightly lower because size prediction is less accurate, but the quality difference is normally much too small to be visible. Try, for example, adding subq=1:frameref=1 to the first pass x264encopts. Then, on the second pass, use slower, higher-quality options: subq=6:frameref=15:4x4mv:me=3"
As i understand, Subpixel Motion Estimation and Max Consecutive B-Frames should be 1 (both) for first pass.
As i sad before, in my previous post, it's not so easy to configure x264 for optimal speed/quality.
Old 3rd January 2006, 21:12   #293  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

To interject in this conversation...

I've noticed that using StaxRip I get occasional frames in my encodes that still look interlaced even though the source is FILM...I dont' think I ever saw this in GK. Has anyone else noticed this? If I set the option to deinterlace I don't see this that much, but the source is progressive FILM.

Also, is it possible when calculating bitrate from final file size (if DivX is used as the encoder) can you take the calculating function inside StaxRip from the calculator found in the codec config?

Last edited by chipzoller; 3rd January 2006 at 21:28.
Old 4th January 2006, 14:17   #294  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

I just finished backup of "Cast Away" movie...At the end i got 1064 Mb mp4 file with only video. But! If i keep it in one directory with audio files (ac3, three of them - two language tracks and one audio comment track), it plays video AND ALL 3 audio files simultaneously! Sounds really weird and cool, but that's not what i want, really...Looks like it's Staxrip-mp4box compatibility issue. I should mention, what i used mp4 files for audio input (my first encoding attemt failed, but AAC encoder performed fine, and i got two mp4 AAC tracks, so i kept them as "Calculate size only").
I tried to mix everything manually with YAMB MP4box frontent and got full 1400 Mb mp4 movie without subtitles, with only one audiotrack (there MUST be another audiotrack in this file, but i did not found any way to switch tracks; i use MPC + ffdshow + Haali splitter), and this audio track is not syncronized with video.
---------
Yayyyy! I'm really dumb Did'nt noticed "Mux AAC" Damn...

Last edited by LRN; 4th January 2006 at 16:56. Reason: i'm dumb
Old 4th January 2006, 18:46   #295  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I've noticed that using StaxRip I get occasional frames in my encodes that still look interlaced even though the source is FILM...I dont' think I ever saw this in GK. Has anyone else noticed this? If I set the option to deinterlace I don't see this that much, but the source is progressive FILM.
StaxRip leaves the AviSynth configuration for the most part up to the user, I think GoradianKnot is much different in this regard.

Quote:
Also, is it possible when calculating bitrate from final file size (if DivX is used as the encoder) can you take the calculating function inside StaxRip from the calculator found in the codec config?
Something like this currently does not work, is there a problem or limitation with the StaxRip calculator?

@LRN

I'll do x264 work shortly.
Old 4th January 2006, 19:03   #296  |  Link
FFWD

Hi Stax,

MeGUI has custom x264 video profiles. Is something similar expected for StaxRip (I like the 'HQ Slower' preset)? Can you add AAC-HE v2?
Old 4th January 2006, 19:11   #297  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
MeGUI has custom x264 video profiles. Is something similar expected for StaxRip (I like the 'HQ Slower' preset)?
Seems like it's frequently requested so probably yes. The more people request a certain feature the sooner it will be supported.

Quote:
Can you add AAC-HE v2?
It would be much easier for me people sending me command lines, links and anything else that could be useful for adding it.

Last edited by stax76; 4th January 2006 at 19:13.
Old 5th January 2006, 21:47   #298  |  Link
stax76

0.9.1.9 (2006-01-05)

Quote:
  • fix: Fixed crash using second audio track only.
  • fix: Warning and refusing opening files with unicode name as it's not supported by some applications e.g. DGIndex.
  • fix: It's no longer possible to ignore crucial assistant instructions and warnings.
  • new: Enabled MP4 and MKV input for the MKV muxer, can be used with x264 and fixes also a bug.
  • new: x264 quality mode (--qrf).
  • change: Updated to x264 395 wich fixes also incompatibility bugs.
  • change: Added delay handling to audio profiles since it's better to use the encoder instead of the muxer to handle delay.
  • change: Only audio files are picked up when opening a source file that are supported by the audio profile.
  • change: Legacy x264 encoder removed.
  • change: x264 encoder command line preview includes now all file paths.
Old 6th January 2006, 00:40   #299  |  Link
riggits

Thanks Stax, I'm just starting to use (and appreciate!) the StaxRip tool. Very nice
One problem: it tries to download an old XviD version, 1.1.0beta2. Maybe that needs to be fixed since the 1.1 final release is out.
Testing now..
Old 6th January 2006, 00:52   #300  |  Link
FooFighter007

Great tool and my No.1 choice if it comes to DVB-T to mp4 conversion!

Big Th@nX!
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265