Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 23rd February 2015, 14:38   #341  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Works fine here with mkv (the_weirdo's 783).
It works fine because you're not using XP, right?
I already explained what the problem is in the Megui thread. r783 is not compatible with XP.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:44   #342  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I was talking about VFR->CFR with mkv files, not the XP issue.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:44   #343  |  Link
hello_hello

Okay.... here's a few little samples. Each file contains exactly the same video, remuxed into different containers. The duration is just over a minute. I don't know what the deal is with this particular video but if I had to pick who to believe in respect to frame count (for a constant frame rate) and duration, I'd always put my money on AviSource.

AVI
AviSource: 1593 frames, duration 00:01:06:441, 23.976fps.
FFMS2: Same as AviSource with and without frame rate conversion.
LWLibavVideoSource: Same frame count but only 0.3fps and a duration of 01:28:35:637. Adding "fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001" frame rate conversion increases the total frame count to over 100,000.

TS
DirectShowSource: Same result as for AviSource above (minus one frame when convertfps=true is added).
FFMS2: Shows a little FFMS2 oddness in that the frame count changes by 3 when "fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001" is used, but it is ffms2 and a TS file.
LWLibavVideoSource: Same result as for AviSource above when "fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001" is added to the script. Without it the duration decreases by about 11ms.

MKV
DirectShowSource: Seems to behave pretty well for DirectShowSource aside from not liking the last 3 frames.
FFMS2: Behaves fairly well although when "fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001" is added the frame count drops by three. It appears to be ignoring the first couple of frames.
LWLibavVideoSource: Agrees with AviSource above as to the total number of frames, but not the duration. Output is 24.471fps. There's no convincing it to change the frame rate. You can add "fpsnum=96000, fpsden=1001" to a script if you like, but the output will still be 24.471fps.

Make of that what you will.
I'm testing with L-Smash r768.

35MB zip file containing the video in three different containers. http://ge.tt/1PYYr0B2/v/0

As a side note, I've seen ffms do odd things with AVIs when frame rate conversion is added to the script, even when the specified frame rate is the original fame rate. That problem has been discussed a few times. The video from which I split the samples off for this post is the only one where I've seen ffms2 do the same thing for a different file type (ie MKV) but I'm having trouble splitting off a small sample without the problem going away.

Anyway..... could someone please tell me why ffms2 and L-Smash treat AVIs with null frames as variable frame rate? Given they're plugins for AviSynth I'd think it far more logical not to. That's a big part of the motivation for using fpsnum and fpsden when opening AVI's, to make sure the output is the correct constant frame rate, just like AviSource would do it.....
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:03   #344  |  Link
Groucho2004

There's nothing wrong with the video.

First I demuxed the h.264 stream to determine the properties. Frame rate is 23.976, 1594 frames.

Muxed to mkv, no problem with LWLibavVideoSource reading that mkv, frame rate and number of frames are fine.

FFMS2 however needs a "assumefps(24000, 1001)" in order to behave.
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:09   #345  |  Link
sneaker_ger

The mkv has a video delay so demuxing will change the results. I don't have time to look into this further at the moment.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:10   #346  |  Link
hello_hello

You're probably right about the total frame count being 1594. MeGUI's preview displays 1593 bit I keep forgetting about the first frame being frame zero.

You might be able to demux and remux the video to get it to behave, but what about the MKV I uploaded? Can you use fpsnum and fpsden to change the frame rate? And what about the AVI, does LWLibavVideoSource lose the plot completely as it does for me?

Anyway, I think I've had enough for today. I've been messing around with this way too long. I'll probably check back tomorrow.
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:15   #347  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
The mkv has a video delay so demuxing will change the results. I don't have time to look into this further at the moment.
Ahh..... that might explain why sometimes the frame count changes by three or four, depending on the container and who's decoding, but I have no idea why there should be a delay. I remuxed the original MKV without any audio, then split it into sections until I found one that misbehaved, and it wasn't at the beginning.

See you tomorrow (tomorrow for me, at least).
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:18   #348  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
You might be able to demux and remux the video to get it to behave, but what about the MKV I uploaded? Can you use fpsnum and fpsden to change the frame rate? And what about the AVI, does LWLibavVideoSource lose the plot completely as it does for me?
The mkv and avi you uploaded are obviously bolloxed.
The elementary stream is fine and when I mux it into a mkv, everything is OK. The question is - what went wrong when you created the mkv?

Lastly, muxing avc into an avi should be avoided anyway.
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:37   #349  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
The mkv and avi you uploaded are obviously bolloxed.
The elementary stream is fine and when I mux it into a mkv, everything is OK. The question is - what went wrong when you created the mkv?

Lastly, muxing avc into an avi should be avoided anyway.
The AVI is only bolloxed when using LWLibavVideoSource. I normally wouldn't put AVC in an AVI without a specific reason but I thought I'd test it.

If something went wrong with the MKV when it was created it's persisted through several remuxes and splitting and seems to only effect LWLibavVideoSource. How "something going wrong" could stop L-Smash from doing frame rate conversion is still a mystery.

If you're motivated, try remuxing the extracted stream with ffmpeg. I can't get it to play nice. It keeps dropping the first 50 seconds and I'm left with a 16 second MP4/MKV. It's odd.

I've really got to do some work. See you later......

Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd February 2015 at 17:51.
Old 8th March 2015, 18:23   #350  |  Link
kolak

Have a small issue with new ffmpeg supported format, which is GrassValey HQX codec.
Height is returned in vs as 1088 (instead of 1080), so I assume it misses some automatic cropping (looks like LWLibavSource forces mod16 mode).
I can provide sample file if needed.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 20:42   #351  |  Link
hello_hello

Is L-Smash deliberately snubbing XP these days? The latest version (r784) won't run on XP. Neither would r783.
Old 15th March 2015, 21:25   #352  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Is L-Smash deliberately snubbing XP these days? The latest version (r784) won't run on XP. Neither would r783.
have you tried L-SMASH-Works-r783-20150223-32bit-XP.7z?
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 00:37   #353  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
No, but I will.
Thanks.
Old 16th March 2015, 03:52   #354  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Quote:
I was busy last time so I didn't answer this. L-SMASH Works itself isn't "deliberately snubbing" XP, as it doesn't require features which are exclusive on later Windows versions. It's just me who don't support XP in my builds anymore (since the begining of 2015). As I'm only sharing _my_ builds to anyone who needs them, I'm not responsible for providing builds that are as compatible as possible.

L-SMASH Works and its dependencies are open-source, the toolchain is also free, anyone can grab the source and build it themselve. Someone may provide a XP-compatible version. But it's not me. Sorry about that.

Last edited by the_weirdo; 16th March 2015 at 03:54.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 08:03   #355  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
It's just me who don't support XP in my builds anymore
Well at least please let people know of the limitations everywhere that you post your links.
Thank you.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 10:59   #356  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I have a modest proposal: how about you upgrade to an OS from the last decade
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:38   #357  |  Link
burfadel

Yes, I shouldn't need to post this in another thread, and yet I am .

Quote:
Windows XP.

Compiling for Windows XP and making it universal is detrimental to users of Windows 8.1 etc.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 14:16   #358  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I have a modest proposal: how about you upgrade to an OS from the last decade
No !

I dont expect that Zathor was aware that he was breaking MeGUI for XP when downloading The_Weirdo's offering. I'm perfectly OK with The_Weirdo not supporting XP, what I do have a problem with is breaking stuff due to not stating requirement.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Yes, I shouldn't need to post this in another thread, and yet I am .
And I should not have to post this.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 16th March 2015 at 14:33.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 15:28   #359  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
And I should not have to post this.
It's 2015, not 2007. In 2007, there was a reason to stick to XP - Windows Vista. There is really no valid reason to to stick with XP any more. System can't run Windows 7/8.1/10? Well, it probably shouldn't be used for encoding either. Stressing old components and all.

Not to mention Windows XP is no longer supposed security patch wise, unless on that paid plan or whatever (which would be stupid to be part of), which they're ending shortly anyway. It's hardly a point worth saying. It's old, defunct, full of security holes, and regardless of any complaints I might get because of this statement, they shouldn't be encouraged to continue using it. If they're too stubborn to change from XP why on earth are they wanting to latest encoding tools?

Last edited by burfadel; 16th March 2015 at 15:33.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 15:52   #360  |  Link
Wilbert

@burfadel, stop trolling. It's not up to you to say which os people should use.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote