Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th January 2013, 17:36   #16921  |  Link
Dodgexander

Thanks 6233638 and yes, it happens both with copy-back and native. The only way I can get hardware accelerated deinterlacing to work with madvr is by setting lav to aggressive or forced and as I said, other decoders, deinterlacing doesn't work at all with madvr.

Edit*

I have tried now:

Reinstalling Latest AMD drivers for my graphics card.
Reinstalling madvr
Reinstalling lav
Reinstalling mpc
Changing deinterlacing preferences in madvr "if in doubt activate deinterlacing".

None have worked.

Last edited by Dodgexander; 15th January 2013 at 17:39.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 18:53   #16922  |  Link
pururin

With Intel iGPU (HD3000/4000), the good scaling algo is DXVA2? Or bicubic75+lanczos3AR should be better?

And when select luma scaling to DXVA2, chroma can be set to anything and it'll still use intel's internal algo right?

Last edited by Guest; 15th January 2013 at 19:31. Reason: 12
pururin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 23:15   #16923  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
If you're bitstreaming, nothing. If you're decoding, you get the DTS-core track rather than the DTS-HD track.
Is there a way to verify the dtsdecoderdll.dll is being used?
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 23:40   #16924  |  Link
sneaker_ger

LAV Audio's status tab will say "dts-hd ma" under input "codec". But this really belongs in the LAV Filters thread - not the madVR thread.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 05:16   #16925  |  Link
njfoses

Question regarding madvr deinterlacing. I very rarely watched interlaced content. When i do it is generally ntsc 1080i tv sitcoms. Should i have madvr autodetect for deinterlacing or force film mode? It seems film mode would be used for most content but im unaware of any way to know when to switch to video which makes me think auto detection would be best.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 07:05   #16926  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pururin View Post
With Intel iGPU (HD3000/4000), the good scaling algo is DXVA2? Or bicubic75+lanczos3AR should be better?
Use Lanczos 3 AR, it's much better. In some cases on an HD4000 you can use Jinc 3 AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pururin View Post
And when select luma scaling to DXVA2, chroma can be set to anything and it'll still use intel's internal algo right?
Correct.

Last edited by ryrynz; 16th January 2013 at 07:07.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 09:27   #16927  |  Link
ice25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
* added double/triple expanded TV range to "source levels" toggle
Could you please add separate keyboard shortcuts for those? Thanks.
ice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 12:11   #16928  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Question regarding madvr deinterlacing. I very rarely watched interlaced content. When i do it is generally ntsc 1080i tv sitcoms. Should i have madvr autodetect for deinterlacing or force film mode? It seems film mode would be used for most content but im unaware of any way to know when to switch to video which makes me think auto detection would be best.
If you force film mode it won't deinterlace interlaced content. In most cases, deinterlacing being turned on when it's not needed won't have any negative effects (particularly with hardware deinterlacing), whereas not deinterlacing an interlaced clip will make it look like arse.

Therefore, leaving it on auto is usually the best thing to do:

You can check whether deinterlacing has been turned on for a particular video by pressing CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + D.

Last edited by DragonQ; 16th January 2013 at 12:17.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 13:38   #16929  |  Link
Dodgexander

I tried Cyberlinks decoder and deinterlacing works fine, so for LAV it needs to be aggressive, for microsoft or ffdshow dxva deinterlacing doesn't work at all.

Basically any decoder using the controls from the AMD Driver does not work.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 13:49   #16930  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
If you force film mode it won't deinterlace interlaced content. In most cases, deinterlacing being turned on when it's not needed won't have any negative effects (particularly with hardware deinterlacing), whereas not deinterlacing an interlaced clip will make it look like arse.

Therefore, leaving it on auto is usually the best thing to do:

You can check whether deinterlacing has been turned on for a particular video by pressing CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + D.
If film mode doesn't deinterlace what would it be used for? Seems many people say film mode is the "correct" deinterlace option for most content. Like i said i watch very little interlaced content but i just want to make sure when i do i have the best possible setting.
Old 16th January 2013, 15:28   #16931  |  Link
Qotscha

Film mode removes pulldown from telecined content.
Qotscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 16:39   #16932  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I presume that LAV can't IVTC? I often play 29.97@59.94 1080i with LAV using CUVID, and Reclock sees 59.94 sees as expected.
I think LAV can remove soft-telecine, but not hard-telecine. Not sure, though, you'd have to ask nevcairiel. At least it can't do full IVTC in the same way that DScaler IVTC Mod and madVR can do, AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nub234 View Post
I'm using LAV Splitters/Decoders in PotPlayer and MPC's default splitters and decoders in MPC; both give the same freeze. I also performed a clean PotPlayer install, that is to say it was using its internal decoders/splitters, when selecting madVR the freeze occurred again.

The freeze actually occurs with all files equally, whether AVC1, XVID or WMV but if you still want a sample of a file let me know and I'll upload one.
Weird. Could you please double check with LAV Splitter/Decoders in MPC-HC? Are you using software or hardware decoding? Try software decoding. If the problem then still occurs, please upload a sample where it's especially obvious, and please tell me what you're doing exactly in MPC-HC to reproduce the problem. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuj View Post
Thanks, I've found the "settings.bin" file in C:\Users\Peuj\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters\x86\madVR

I've looked in the bat file and the way it's written, the "settings.bin" file cannot found.
Argh, sometimes Windows is too clever for its own good. I'd prefer if Windows simply blocked the creation of files if the folder is not writable, instead of storing them in some wild folder nobody ever looks into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei View Post
Okay, after installing another player, disabling hardware decoding, uninstalling my mouse drivers, and changing to using Aero from not using Aero, I figured out what it is. Pointer trails. If you have show pointer trails on in the mouse config, you cannot see the mouse cursor in exclusive mode. (At least on my system) So I'd like to report a bug
That's got nothing to do with madVR, though. I don't know why this is as it is, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
is anyone else having this problem?
http://truexfan81.webs.com/madvr.jpg

seems to only happen when playing xvid files in fullscreen mode using madvr, tried evr, the vid looks normal

i use madvr 0.85.7
chroma: Bicubic 75 AR
luma: SoftCubic 100

thanks

update: activating scale in linear light or AR filter on luma seems to fix it
Nobody else reported this problem. Which GPU and OS are you using? What happens if you change the zoom factor a bit (e.g. NumPad 1 in MPC-HC)? Does the problem go away then or is it still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
What is the recommendation for "use a separate device for presentation" on Windows 7 x64?
Enable it if it makes no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annovif View Post
Madshi, where is the postprocessing sharpness algorithm Gpu based
Some time in the future maybe. Not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyoh View Post
1- frame step seems buggy if i want to step many frames MPC get stuck for 1-2 second
Can you tell me how exactly I can reproduce this problem on my PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyoh View Post
2- colors look darker and washed out
The question is whether madVR is too dark or whether EVR is too bright. Please make sure the media player color controls are set to neutral. Then please double check the GPU driver control panel options for video. They should usually be set to "application decides" (or something like that). Finally, try switching madVR output levels to see whether switching to TV or PC levels makes the image look correctly. And of course make sure that what EVR gives you is *really* the correct brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter300871 View Post
1. In an ideal world, with the perfect graphics card and CPU, what resizer settings give the best results ?
Chroma and Luma upscaling: Jinc3 with anti-ringing turned on and linear light turned off.
Luma downscaling: Catmull-Rom with anti-ringing and linear light turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrovski View Post
when I open the video and I use any of the shortcuts in mpchc for fullscreen (there are 2, one that says fullscreen and the other that says fullscreen without resolution change) for a split second the video gets stretched out (covering the black bars) and goes back to it's normal fullscreen/resolution.
Maybe I can improve this in a future build, but it's not high priority for now. I consider this a minor cosmetical problem, and there are important key features still missing. So those have priority for now...

Quote:
Hi, when I use subtitles with 720p videos in ZoomPlayer with madVR, it uses 100% of my CPU and drops frames like crazy with VobSub and ffdshow subtitle filter.
Well, this seems to be an issue with the subtitle renderers. Not sure what this has to do with madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Instead of cropping to mod4 what about padding to mod4 instead? But can this only be done when it really needs it, deinterlacing?
Possible, but not as easy as it may sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Is there any way to control gpu ram in dxva2?
Not that I know of. Of course using a lower GPU queue size in madVR saves GPU RAM.

Quote:
Madshi, do you know why this MBAFF AVC video isn't deinterlaced by MadVR in auto mode (using LAV & MPC-HC)? EVR plays it back fine (25 fps during first ~10 s, 50 fps for last ~20 s) but MadVR never turns deinterlacing on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It looks like the first few seconds are actually progressive, and this information also ends up in the media type, which triggers madVR to believe the file is actually progressive.
LAV also thinks this at first, but once it switches to MBAFF, LAV notices and informs madVR with a new media type (switches from interlace flags 0x0 to 0x81), but this is not enough, apparently.
Hmmmm... I guess I'm only checking whether deinterlacing should be turned on/off at the start of playback. Maybe I can improve that in case the decoder updates the media type.

Quote:
Interestingly, although the "Aggressive Deinterlacing" workaround works for the ~hour of interlaced video after the progressive title sequence, it doesn't work for the pre-titles section, which is definitely interlaced video but not being detected as such. Tis possible the metadata is wrong in this section. Sample here.
This sample looks like 25p, from the point of view of the decoder. It doesn't get deinterlaced by EVR, either.

At some point in the future I plan to add an automatic progressive vs. film vs. video detection to madVR. That should then detect such cases, too, but it could be a while until I get to that...

Quote:
IRC channel anyone? Maybe we could start one on NewNet?
I've no problem at all if you guys want to start an IRC channel. But please don't expect me to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuey View Post
just wondering if I will get frame drops no matter what I do unless i get reclock? I managed to get my display refresh to a 23.976xx something - madVR displays that, but still I get a 1 frame repeat every 12-13 minutes - or so the OSD shows.
This information in the OSD is just an estimate. It isn't always accurate. Trust your eyes. Is playback smooth?

It should be possible to get smooth playback without Reclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
I honestly don't think matching rates can stop frame drops repeats. I was able to match my playback rate to my display rate reported by madvr down to like 0.0001hz using svp interpolation.

I still get drops. Madshi suggested it could be due to the clock deviation so your display will never exactly be 23.976. For those brief moments I guess you could drop a frame. That's my understanding
I actually made adjustments to my playback rate upwards in tiny increments using svp until I got 0 frame drops but can't really be sure that im not getting frame repeats. I think there's always a need for some software solution to sort out this type of problem I guess. Matching rates is good but not enough.
Actually matching rates *should* be good enough. Audio clock deviation should be constant, so it's not like at some point in time suddenly the clock deviates and madVR has to drop a frame. madVR drops frames to keep audio and video in sync when there's a constant drift between audio and video clocks. If you match clocks reasonably well, there should not be frame drops/repeats for several hours at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
Please remind, do I need to set Catalyst video to 16-235 for DXVA2 de-interlacing no matter I use 0-255 for output? Does it affect DXVA decoding or anything else somehow?
You should set all options so that the application decides. For "dynamic range" (I guess that's what you mean) in the Catalyst driver, simply disable it.

Quote:
Is it known problem that madVR can't get the EDID from TV after TV turn off/turn on? I can get the picture but "device" is greyed in madVR's properties and any adjustments are not possible untill the whole PC reboot.
No, that is definitely not a known problem. Does restarting the media player not help, either? Sounds like a driver/OS bug to me. These things work just fine here. And nobody else reported this problem yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libeluratio View Post
In fact targetting a perfect 23.976024 isn't a good idea.
I managed once to get 23.97602 but still dropped frames... it's because that number in madvr isn't exact.
Not sure what you mean. The refresh rate measurement in madVR is very exact - but it's measured with the system clock, not with the audio hardware clock. You're right that trying to make the measured refresh rate be exactly 24.000/1.001 isn't always the correct solution. Deviation between system and audio hardware clocks need to be taken into account...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuey View Post
I though madVR displays an accurate refresh rate
It does. But it's measured with the system clock. Which is usually not perfectly identical to the audio hardware clock. Which is the cause of all the problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
madshi> Are your own calibration solution still on your to do list?
It's still on my list of things to look into.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 16:40   #16933  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Start clip, move MPC-HC to second screen, wait for video to start playing again, immediately close MPC-HC.

madVR log:http://www.sendspace.com/file/54c6u4
Creation of the Direct3D device seems to fail after switching the monitor, with Direct3D returning: "access denied". I don't know why this happens. Maybe it has to do with DXVA scaling being turned on? Try if turning it off fixes the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlygeSoppen View Post
P5K Premium mainboard, QX6850 Quad core 3ghz(overclocked to 3.6ghz), 8gb RAM, Geforce 670 card, Xfi soundcard and WinXP.
It did not work out that well. I have tryed to follow different guides on the net without any success.

When all is installed and configured just like the other computers, all I get is about 1minute of hanging blackness
with choppy sound and then some laggy film afterwards.. Its the same in window and fullscreen.
Please make sure you set things like Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic filtering etc to "let application decide" (or whatever it is named). If that doesn't help, maybe I can see what's going on if you upload a madVR debug log (please zip it!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakona View Post
I've checked some pulldown detection patterns: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1276064/1920x1080-24-25-30fps-test-patterns-detect-pulldown-issues

and i do have same issue as the person that posted these patterns(long quote here) "(Pulldown / Frame Interpolation: One thing I've noticed that is interesting with the test files, it shows you what pull down and frame interpolation is being applied by the PC and/or TV. Each of the test files is only encoded with only 1 red square per frame. So when playing say the NTSC test file (29.97) you see two red squares when played at 60hz...in this case (I guess) the video renderer or TV displays each frame twice but overlaps them with the following frame. Now the interesting thing is when I play the Blu-ray test file (23.976) at 24hz I see 3 red boxs on my setup. As this is not being done in the PC, it looks like it must be the TV doing a 3:3 frame interpolation (though the documentation on the PIO LX608 is pretty vague on it's settings and options here)."

i do have screen forced to 72hz,and using reclock,but it looks like something in the video chain is putting some frame interpolation and i see 3(or 2,its really hard to see) red boxes. ive tried to force vsync,and play with pulldown detection in catalyst control center but in vain. Im using madvr+newest lav filters+reclock,playing using mpc-hc,screen is dvi-d connected with custom-reduced blanking times to allow 72hz on single-link using powerstrip.

im using xp 32bit,hd4870 and dell 2209wa (the 3squares also appear when i run 30fps test on 60hz,so i dont think its a screen issue,no one else reported that too)
Not sure if there's a question hidden somewhere in your post? madVR does not do frame interpolation, if that's what you want to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
But resampling is a mathematically precise process
You make it sound as if there's exactly only one right result of doing resampling. But that's far from the truth. For audio resampling the same problems apply as for video resampling: Depending on resampling filter characteristics, you get aliasing, ringing or loss of high frequency response. Or all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Provided the adjustments Reclock is needing to make are low (<=0.1% if adjusting up to what is needed for NTSC slow down) it should have no noticeable impact for 99.9% of user
Another misconception. Whether you adjust by 0.1% or 5% doesn't make much of a difference. Even running the audio through the resampler with exactly 0% sampling rate change will already introduce all the artifacts like ringing etc. Actually, if you do have to use resampling, your best bet is to upsample to as large a sampling rate as you can. This way you get some positive changes in addition to the artifacts, too, at least. But upsampling to high sample rates comes with its own problems. DACs might not work as well with high sampling rates as they work for lower rates. So whether resampling to high sampling rates actually sounds better will depend on the actual hardware you're using.

Quote:
ReClock has to resample audio to work, but it is high quality, and any theoretical loss of quality should be imperceptible.
ReClock also gives you the option to upsample the audio if your hardware supports it, in which case there should be no loss in quality at all.
You'll get ringing in any case. Audio upsampling isn't so very different from video upsampling.

Quote:
Under no circumstances should you enable the "slave reference clock to audio" option, as that effectively disables ReClock's resampling/sync corrections.
I disagree. If you have managed to get the refresh rate close enough, there shouldn't be frame drops/repeats long enough to play the longest movie out there, rendering Reclock's resampling/sync corrections useless. In that case it does make a lot of sense to enable the "slave reference clock to audio" option, so that you can get kernel mode streaming without having to resample audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
Has anyone noticed a problem with deinterlacing using dxva?

I am running the latest catalyst drivers with my Radeon 6800, but for some reason the only way I can get deinterlacing to work is by forcing it using lav videos option.

If i have ffdshow dxva or the windows decoder, deinterlacing just doesn't turn on despite the control panel settings. This only happens with h264. Not mpeg2.
What does the OSD say about deinterlacing for those h264 files? If it's disabled, what happens if you press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D twice to manually enable deinterlacing in madVR? Does that work? Can you upload a small sample with which I can reproduce the problem on my PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Does anyone have trouble getting any version of MadVR to work on a monitor in portrait mode?
See "limitations" in the first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrim View Post
I have 2 monitors which are connected to different GPU. My first screen is connected to a Nvidia card and the second one to an Intel card. Whenever I switch my MPC-HC window to my second screen with the Intel GPU the 1080i clip I'm watching is stuttering. Is it possible to make madVR use the Nvidia card even if it is on the second monitor with Intel GPU? Thanks! (This only seems to happen with 1080i content btw!)
madVR by default renders on the GPU which is connected to the target monitor. It would be theoretically possible to render on a different GPU, then transfer the rendered pictures to system RAM, then copy them to the other GPU, then display them there. But that would be a lot of extra work. It would also make the configuration dialog more complicated. So I don't plan to add such a feature in the near future.

Quote:
Currently madVR can not find out itself which mode it should use. So the "auto" mode always uses DXVA deinterlacing. If your sitcoms are native film content (24p), forcing madVR into "film" mode would allow you to output true 24p to your display, which would result in smoother motion. This is not possible when using DXVA deinterlacing. However, if your sitcoms are native interlaced recordings, film mode would produce visible combing artifacts. If your display can't do 24p, anyway, I'd stick with "auto". If you want 24p output then you can try film mode. I guess most newer sitcoms are 24p based. But some older sitcoms are native interlaced, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice25 View Post
Could you please add separate keyboard shortcuts for those? Thanks.
I'm sorry, I don't plan to. I mean I could add separate shortcuts for pretty much *everything*, but I'd end up with 2 million shortcuts, and I'd like to avoid that. I think the toggle shortcut is good enough, isn't it?

Quote:
If you force film mode it won't deinterlace interlaced content.
If you say it like this you might confuse some users. Many people consider telecined content as "interlaced content", too. It's important to be clear. If you say "film mode won't properly deinterlace *native* interlaced content" then I fully agree with you.

Quote:
If film mode doesn't deinterlace what would it be used for? Seems many people say film mode is the "correct" deinterlace option for most content. Like i said i watch very little interlaced content but i just want to make sure when i do i have the best possible setting.
There are 2 different kinds of "interlaced content": Truely native interlaced content, and telecined content. The latter was originally 24p (or 25p) content and was just converted to 60i (or 50i). Film mode can perfectly undo this and restore the original 24p/25p content. Film mode does not work properly with truely native interlaced content, though.
Old 16th January 2013, 16:50   #16934  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madshi
Hmmmm... I guess I'm only checking whether deinterlacing should be turned on/off at the start of playback. Maybe I can improve that in case the decoder updates the media type.
Sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
If you say it like this you might confuse some users. Many people consider telecined content as "interlaced content", too. It's important to be clear. If you say "film mode won't properly deinterlace *native* interlaced content" then I fully agree with you.
Fair enough; I rarely consider "telecined content" (2:3 pulldown) since it doesn't exist in "PAL regions", thus I never encounter it.

Also, wouldn't that technically be detelecining/IVTC, not deinterlacing?

Last edited by DragonQ; 16th January 2013 at 16:55.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 16:59   #16935  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:

Currently madVR can not find out itself which mode it should use. So the "auto" mode always uses DXVA deinterlacing. If your sitcoms are native film content (24p), forcing madVR into "film" mode would allow you to output true 24p to your display, which would result in smoother motion. This is not possible when using DXVA deinterlacing. However, if your sitcoms are native interlaced recordings, film mode would produce visible combing artifacts. If your display can't do 24p, anyway, I'd stick with "auto". If you want 24p output then you can try film mode. I guess most newer sitcoms are 24p based. But some older sitcoms are native interlaced, I think.

There are 2 different kinds of "interlaced content": Truely native interlaced content, and telecined content. The latter was originally 24p (or 25p) content and was just converted to 60i (or 50i). Film mode can perfectly undo this and restore the original 24p/25p content. Film mode does not work properly with truely native interlaced content, though.

Can mediainfo or a similar program determine natively interlaced vs telecined?
Old 16th January 2013, 17:04   #16936  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Fair enough; I rarely consider "telecined content" (2:3 pulldown) since it doesn't exist in "PAL regions", thus I never encounter it.
Telecined PAL content is 50i. It absolutely exists. E.g. I have samples of a PAL DVD where each encoded frame contains the bottom field of the previous frame and the top field of the next frame. Without proper IVTC you'd either get combing or 50p output instead of 25p.

Quote:
Also, wouldn't that technically be detelecining/IVTC, not deinterlacing?
I consider "video mode deinterlacing" and "IVTC" as being different "deinterlacing" modes.

Quote:
Can mediainfo or a similar program determine natively interlaced vs telecined?
No. At least not for hard-telecined content.
Old 16th January 2013, 17:17   #16937  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
You make it sound as if there's exactly only one right result of doing resampling. But that's far from the truth. For audio resampling the same problems apply as for video resampling: Depending on resampling filter characteristics, you get aliasing, ringing or loss of high frequency response. Or all of that.

Another misconception. Whether you adjust by 0.1% or 5% doesn't make much of a difference. Even running the audio through the resampler with exactly 0% sampling rate change will already introduce all the artifacts like ringing etc. Actually, if you do have to use resampling, your best bet is to upsample to as large a sampling rate as you can. This way you get some positive changes in addition to the artifacts, too, at least. But upsampling to high sample rates comes with its own problems. DACs might not work as well with high sampling rates as they work for lower rates. So whether resampling to high sampling rates actually sounds better will depend on the actual hardware you're using.

You'll get ringing in any case. Audio upsampling isn't so very different from video upsampling.
Its a fair cop and my language was sloppy, but what I was trying to do was compare the Reclock resampler, which is at least a defined formula, calculated to high internal accuracy, with the option to upsample, with pitch correction, which involves chopping audio up into time slices and the processing those 2-channels at a time with loads of potential for both audible artefacts at slice boundaries and loss of phase coherence between each channel pair, e.g. Fronts and rears. IMO the resampling in Reclock has the potential to be inaudible, if not precise(!). Pitch correction, not so much.

And the point about 0.1% was that the tempo change of this small adjustment should be inaudible (possible artefacts aside). Not that the artefacts, such as they exist, would be less because the adjustment was small.

But yeah, talking about precision is dangerous

Last edited by Jong; 16th January 2013 at 17:40.
Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 17:20   #16938  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Telecined PAL content is 50i. It absolutely exists. E.g. I have samples of a PAL DVD where each encoded frame contains the bottom field of the previous frame and the top field of the next frame. Without proper IVTC you'd either get combing or 50p output instead of 25p.
If that was deinterlaced in "video mode", as long as it was correctly detected as BFF, it'd just be output as 50p with every other frame being a repeat of the previous one, surely? In the same way that playing 25p content on a normal TV would actually be 50p/75p/100p with repeated frames. If not, then I've never seen that.
Old 16th January 2013, 17:31   #16939  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Quote:
Is it known problem that madVR can't get the EDID from TV after TV turn off/turn on? I can get the picture but "device" is greyed in madVR's properties and any adjustments are not possible untill the whole PC reboot.
No, that is definitely not a known problem. Does restarting the media player not help, either? Sounds like a driver/OS bug to me. These things work just fine here. And nobody else reported this problem yet.
Restarting the media player does not help of course. OK, so I guess its just a driver (XP) bug then. I'll let you know if that also happen in win7.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 17:32   #16940  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
If that was deinterlaced in "video mode", as long as it was correctly detected as BFF, it'd just be output as 50p with every other frame being a repeat of the previous one, surely? In the same way that playing 25p content on a normal TV would actually be 50p/75p/100p with repeated frames. If not, then I've never seen that.

Video Mode deinterlacing of telecined PAL just results in 50p, even if it would be supposed to only be 25p, so usually we never notice any such problems.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling