Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st July 2013, 08:44   #19741  |  Link
romulous

@jmonier: Zoom has its own setting to control madVR's Smooth Motion. Check the following and disable it if it is enabled:
http://i.imgur.com/lQTWXyW.png
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 10:46   #19742  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulous View Post
@jmonier: Zoom has its own setting to control madVR's Smooth Motion. Check the following and disable it if it is enabled:
That's not a good move by the ZoomPlayer devs IMHO. That's two places for the same setting and AFAIK only madVR knows when to change it's own value on the interface and that's when it changes the value itself. ZoomPlayer changing the value behind madVR's back or the other way around while either of the two is running is a setup for unwanted behavior and on the road for increased debugging headaches.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 13:45   #19743  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
That's not a good move by the ZoomPlayer devs IMHO. That's two places for the same setting and AFAIK only madVR knows when to change it's own value on the interface and that's when it changes the value itself. ZoomPlayer changing the value behind madVR's back or the other way around while either of the two is running is a setup for unwanted behavior and on the road for increased debugging headaches.
I think if you uncheck Smooth Motion in Zoom options, it completely ignores the setting in madVR options. The only rationale I can see for this is perhaps a bug in Zoom code that doesn't process the setting in madVR the way it should. It can't be for user convenience, because the setting is disabled by default in madVR.

Since this "feature" is only in the beta version, maybe they'll ditch it for the final release.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 14:07   #19744  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Thanks. I was aware of the option but the language is ambiguous and I had interpreted it as simply allowing Smooth Motion to be used. What it does, in fact, is to absolutely turn it on or off at the beginning of playback. Once playback is started, however, it has no effect and madVR has control via the dialog or keyboard shortcut.

It does allow you to control it from ZP via a keyboard shortcut or the Communications API when you cannot do it from madVR, i.e. when nothing is playing. This could be useful. That does make it confusing, however.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 14:35   #19745  |  Link
romulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
What it does, in fact, is to absolutely turn it on or off at the beginning of playback.
Correct.

Quote:
Once playback is started, however, it has no effect and madVR has control via the dialog or keyboard shortcut.
Correct again. madVR controls it whether it is used or not while a video is playing - Zoom just enables or disables the setting to begin with.

Quote:
It does allow you to control it from ZP via a keyboard shortcut or the Communications API when you cannot do it from madVR, i.e. when nothing is playing.
Also correct.

Quote:
language is ambiguous and I had interpreted it as simply allowing Smooth Motion to be used
Do you have any suggestions for alternate wording? If so, I will put it to Blight.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:20   #19746  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for alternate wording? If so, I will put it to Blight.
"Turn on/off madVR Smooth Motion (overrides MadVR option)" ?
Old 1st August 2013, 09:18   #19747  |  Link
romulous

What about if we add the 'override' bit to the end of the current naming? As in:
"Enable MadVR's smooth motion (over-ride madVR option)"

I don't think we need both the enable/disable bit in the text - just one of those should be fine. The confusion is not so much about whether ticking the option will enable something, or will disable something - but more so that the option affects madVR's option. That bit needs to be made clearer.
Old 1st August 2013, 13:40   #19748  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
What about if we add the 'override' bit to the end of the current naming? As in:
"Enable MadVR's smooth motion (over-ride madVR option)"

I don't think we need both the enable/disable bit in the text - just one of those should be fine. The confusion is not so much about whether ticking the option will enable something, or will disable something - but more so that the option affects madVR's option. That bit needs to be made clearer.
That would be better, but to my mind it still doesn't make it clear that un-checking the option also controls madVR.

Maybe: "...(always over-rides madVR option)"
Old 1st August 2013, 14:10   #19749  |  Link
romulous

Cool, that sounds fine to me. I will put it to Blight that the option be renamed to "Enable MadVR's smooth motion (always over-rides madVR option)".

Last edited by romulous; 1st August 2013 at 14:16.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:36   #19750  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.86.11 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added import option for eeColor 3dluts (e.g. from LightSpace CMS)

Last edited by madshi; 20th August 2013 at 14:28.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 00:51   #19751  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Cool, that sounds fine to me. I will put it to Blight that the option be renamed to "Enable MadVR's smooth motion (always over-rides madVR option)".
Does the Zoom checkbox enable "Use always" or "Use only when needed"? Will that be clear to the user?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 01:29   #19752  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Does the Zoom checkbox enable "Use always" or "Use only when needed"? Will that be clear to the user?
It does whatever is checked in madVR. It controls the overall use of Smooth Motion but not the way in which it is applied.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:52   #19753  |  Link
romulous

Yes, as jmonier has stated, the option in Zoom only controls the state of this option here:
http://i.imgur.com/s9cDfmR.png (the one inside the red rectangle)

Everything else outside that is controlled by madVR, specifically by what the user has set inside madVR's options dialog - so while Zoom can switch Smooth Motion on and off, madVR itself decides if Smooth Motion will be used (and if so, how) when it is enabled. There isn't enough room in the Zoom options dialog to put a whole paragraph on it, but as well as renaming the option in that dialog, I will ask Blight to make it clear in the Zoom help file that this option only changes the enable/disable state of Smooth Motion, and nothing else (the help file for Zoom is only updated for each stable release, so the help file does not yet list the "enable madVR's smooth motion" option - but it will).
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:24   #19754  |  Link
pankov

I think that it will be better if there is a third state (cbGrayed) for this option in Zoom Player with the meaning of "don't change anything - respect madVR's settings" and this should be the default state. Otherwise madshi will get a lot of complaints from ZP users that madVR's options don't work.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:51   #19755  |  Link
romulous

@pankov: I've added that idea to the tracker report.
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:58   #19756  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
I think that it will be better if there is a third state (cbGrayed) for this option in Zoom Player with the meaning of "don't change anything - respect madVR's settings" and this should be the default state. Otherwise madshi will get a lot of complaints from ZP users that madVR's options don't work.
Once the changed wording is put in, there will be a lot less chance of these complaints, but I agree that it could still be a problem.

If this third choice is put in it would have to disable the fnMadVRSmoothMo ZP Function, thus breaking any skinning, keyboard shortcut or script that uses this Function. So, there is a possibility of confusion, no matter what, unless the feature and the ZP Function is removed completely. Since I feel that the feature has value, I think that it should be retained as is (but with the changed wording and with a clear description in the documentation).
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:03   #19757  |  Link
burfadel

Would Directx 11.2 provide any benefits for MadVR? If so, any plans to implement them for Windows 8.1 when it comes out?
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:21   #19758  |  Link
dbcooper

Hi All, is it confirmed that MadVR can disable the default windows LUT when it plays video and uses a 3DLUT?
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:23   #19759  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Hi All, is it confirmed that MadVR can disable the default windows LUT when it plays video and uses a 3DLUT?
devices -> [your_device] -> calibration -> disable GPU gamma ramps
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:36   #19760  |  Link
dbcooper

Cheers. That's what I've been doing. I assume that Fullscreen Exclusive mode must be used?
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling